Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
August 2014 - India Special Weapons News
- Modi to Visit Japan to Cement Defense, Economic Ties VOA 29 Aug 2014 -- India's prime minister is heading to Japan Saturday for a five-day visit to shore up defense and economic ties.
- Russia, India to Continue Joint Air Force Drills in November - Moscow RIA Novosti 29 Aug 2014 -- The second phase of joint Russian-Indian Air Force exercise “Aviaindra-2014” is set to take place in India in November, deputy chief of the Russian Air Force's General Staff, Aleksandr Lyapkin, told reporters Friday.
- India to Take Part in Aviadarts-2015 Flight Skills Competition RIA Novosti 29 Aug 2014 -- India has confirmed its participation in the Aviadarts flight-skills competition hosted by Russia, Deputy Chief of the Main Staff of Russian Air Force Major General Alexander Lyapkin told RIA Novosti.
- India, Australia to sign uranium deal: Report Iran Press TV 29 Aug 2014 -- An agreement enabling uranium exports from Australia to India will reportedly be signed during an upcoming visit by Australian Prime Minister Tony Abbott to India.
- Russia Plans to Supply India With A-50 Aircraft – Aircraft Company RIA Novosti 26 Aug 2014 -- Russia and India plan on signing a contract to supply India with A-50 airborne early warning and control aircraft.
- Indian Troops Arrive in Russia for Air Force Drills RIA Novosti 25 Aug 2014 -- Indian troops have arrived in Russia’s Lipetsk to take part in the joint Air Force exercise Aviaindra 2014, held August 25 to September 5.
- Pakistan Defends Meeting With Kashmiri Separatists VOA 20 Aug 2014 -- Pakistan's ambassador to India has defended his meeting with Kashmiri separatist leaders, despite criticism from New Delhi which subsequently called off diplomatic talks with Islamabad.
- 'China troops enter India territory: Sources claim Iran Press TV 20 Aug 2014 -- Indian officials have accused China of dispatching troops several kilometers into its territory in the Ladakh region of Indian-administered Kashmir.
- India drops talks with Pakistan over Kashmir Iran Press TV 19 Aug 2014 -- India has called off forthcoming foreign secretary-level talks with neighboring Pakistan after Pakistani Ambassador to India Abdul Basit met Kashmiri pro-independence leaders in New Delhi.
- India destroyer sends message to world: Modi Iran Press TV 17 Aug 2014 -- India's prime minister has commissioned the country's largest indigenously-built warship as the South Asian nation tries to shore up its defense capabilities.
- Prime Minister Commissions INS Kolkata India MoD 16 Aug 2014 -- The Hon'ble Prime Minister of India, Shri Narendra Modi, commissioned INS Kolkata into the Indian Navy at a glittering ceremony held today at the Naval Dockyard, Mumbai.
- India Emerges as Largest Foreign Customer of US Arms VOA 14 Aug 2014 -- India has emerged as the world's largest arms buyer in recent years, but hopes to reverse this by strengthening its domestic defense industry. The United States was India's largest arms supplier in recent years, dislodging Russia as New Delhi's principal source of weapons.
- Indian Prime Minister Blames Pakistan for Proxy War of Terrorism RIA Novosti 12 Aug 2014 -- Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi sharply criticized neighboring Pakistan for continuing its proxy war of terrorism against India.
- India PM Slams Pakistan's Kashmir 'Proxy War' VOA 12 Aug 2014 -- The Indian prime minister has slammed what he called a "proxy war" being waged by Pakistan in Kashmir. The Indian leader was visiting the Indian side of the disputed region to inaugurate power projects as part of a push to develop infrastructure in the Himalayan state bordering Pakistan and China.
- Hagel Urges Expanded U.S.-Indian Defense Cooperation AFPS 09 Aug 2014 -- Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel today called for the United States and India to do more to transform their defense relationship through increased partnerships in production and technology, given the edge he said both nations have in science and innovation.
- India plans to buy missile from Israel Iran Press TV 09 Aug 2014 -- India's Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS) has voted for a motion to purchase 262 Barak-I anti-ship missiles and spare parts from Tel Aviv, despite the country's recent vote against Israel for its human rights violations in Gaza.
- Readout of Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel's meeting with Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi DoD 08 Aug 2014
- Readout of Secretary of Defense Chuck Hagel's Meeting with Indian Minister of External Affairs Sushma Swaraj DoD 08 Aug 2014
- Hagel Seeks to Expand U.S.-India Defense Relations AFPS 07 Aug 2014 -- Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel arrived in New Delhi today on his first trip to India as defense chief for what he described as get-acquainted meetings with the new government of Prime Minister Narendra Modi while seeking to expand common interests and renew a defense framework agreement set to expire next year.
- India Will Help to Shape New World Order, Hagel Says AFPS 07 Aug 2014 -- India represents one of the most significant countries in the world today that will help shape a "new world order that is emerging in this young century," Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel said today.
- US Seeks to Expand Defense Ties With India VOA 07 Aug 2014 -- U.S. Defense Secretary Chuck Hagel says he wants to build on past progress in strengthening military ties with India, as he arrived in New Delhi Thursday for a two-day visit.
- Background Briefing on Secretary Kerry's Meeting With Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi US Dept. of State 01 Aug 2014
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list