Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
May 2014 - India Special Weapons News
- Indian, Pakistani Leaders Hold Landmark Talks VOA 27 May 2014 -- Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi has urged his Pakistani counterpart Nawaz Sharif to crack down on militancy during their talks in New Delhi.
- Modi sworn in as prime minister of India VoR 26 May 2014 -- Narendra Modi was sworn in Monday as India's 15th prime minister at an inauguration ceremony in the capital New Delhi attended by regional leaders after a historic election victory that gave his party the first parliamentary majority in 30 years and ended two terms of rule by the Nehru-Gandhi dynasty.
- Pakistani PM to Attend Indian PM Inauguration VOA 24 May 2014 -- Pakistan's prime minister, Nawaz Sharif, has accepted India's invitation to attend the inauguration of prime minister-elect Narendra Modi on Monday. The unprecedented move has raised hope of improvement in the usually tense relations between the nuclear-armed rival nations.
- Russia, India sign deal to build two units of Kudankulam NPP VoR 22 May 2014 -- Russia and India have signed a general framework agreement to build the third and fourth units of the Kudankulam nuclear power plant, Rosatom director-general has said, according to Itar-Tass.
- India's New Muscle Man, Narendra Modi RFE/RL 21 May 2014 -- As India prepares to swear in its new prime minister on May 26, the rest of the world is waiting to see what the hard-line Narendra Modi meant when he vowed to take a more 'muscular' foreign policy tack and to make the world's most populous country a force befitting its size.
- Pakistan Congratulates India's New Leadership VOA 16 May 2014 -- Pakistan has greeted with optimism news of the sweeping election victory in India by the Bharatiya Janata Party. Political leaders and analysts hope that the new BJP government will respond positively to Islamabad's peace overtures.
- Huge Victory for Modi Raises Expectations for Change in India VOA 16 May 2014 -- He's been called polarizing, efficient and autocratic - often in the same sentence. No Indian politician has generated so much attention and focus in recent years as India's next prime minister, Narendra Modi, whose Bharatiya Janata Party swept India's parliamentary elections.
- Russia Ready to Continue Helicopter Supplies to India RIA Novosti 13 May 2014 -- The Russian Helicopters company is ready to supply additional helicopters to India, Russia's largest partner on military and technical cooperation, CEO Alexander Mikheyev told reporters Wednesday.
- Russian-Designed Reactor at Indian Nuclear Plant Nears Capacity – Source RIA Novosti 06 May 2014 -- Experts working on the construction of India's Kudankulam nuclear power plant being built with Russian assistance have brought the first reactor unit to 90 percent of its capacity, a source in the industry told RIA Novosti Tuesday.
- India's Modi pledges defense procurement overhaul VoR 06 May 2014 -- India's frontrunner for prime minister Narendra Modi has pledged to speed up corruption-hit defense procurement if he comes to power to ensure the country's military is better prepared for battle, AFP reports. As the nation's general election enters its final stretch, Modi said timely, cost-effective and corruption-free purchase of defense weapons and other equipment was critical for the military.
- India successfully test fires Astra air-to-air missile IRNA 04 May 2014 -- India Sunday successfully test-fired its first indigenously-developed air-to-air missile Astra from a Su-30 combat aircraft over a firing range in the western sector.
- India test-fires Astra missile from Sukhoi jet Iran Press TV 04 May 2014 -- India has successfully test-fired its first indigenously developed beyond visual range (BVR) Astra missile from a Russian-built Sukhoi Su-30MKI fighter jet.
- India successfully test fires Akash surface-to-air missile IRNA 01 May 2014 -- India on Thursday successfully test fired indigenously-developed surface-to-air Akash missile with a strike range of 25 km and capability to carry warhead of 60 kgs from the Integrated Test Range at Chandipur in Odisha state, as part of a user-trial.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list