Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
January 2013 - India Special Weapons News
- India test fires ballistic missile from underwater platform IRNA 27 Jan 2013 -- Moving a step closer to completing its nuclear triad, India on Sunday successfully test fired a ballistic missile, with a strike range of around 1500 kilometres, from an underwater platform in Bay of Bengal.
- India to present Dornier aircraft to Seychelles IRNA 25 Jan 2013 -- India will gift a Dornier DO-228 aircraft to Seychelles to carry out surveillance and anti-piracy missions.
- Missiles, rockets, bombs used to cover up nuke tests preparations: APJ Abdul Kalam IRNA 25 Jan 2013 -- India had launched a series of missiles, rockets and dropped experimental bombs to divert attention of 'snoopers' before conducting the 1998 nuclear tests, A P J Abdul Kalam, considered the father of India's missile programmee, said here on Thursday.
- India, Pakistan Agree To Ease Kashmir Tensions RFE/RL 16 Jan 2013 -- India and Pakistan have agreed to ease tensions in disputed Kashmir and observe a decade-old cease-fire.
- Pakistan Says One Of Its Soldiers Killed In Exchange With Indian Troops RFE/RL 15 Jan 2013 -- The Pakistani military says "unprovoked" firing by Indian troops has killed a Pakistani soldier in the latest violation of a ceasefire in disputed Kashmir.
- India Orders 'Aggressive' Response to Kashmir Provocation VOA 14 Jan 2013 -- India's army chief says he has ordered his commanders to deliver an "aggressive" response to any firing from Pakistani forces in disputed Kashmir.
- India, Pakistan Trade Accusations Over Recent Kashmir Deaths RFE/RL 14 Jan 2013 -- Indian and Pakistani military officials have traded accusations over the recent deadly clashes in disputed Kashmir.
- Pakistan protests Indian border ceasefire violation IRNA 14 Jan 2013 -- Pakistan defence officials lodged protest with Indian military over the ‘continuous ceasefire violations including an attempted raid by Indian troops’ along the Line of Control.
- Pakistan suspends cross-LoC bus service between J&K and PoK IRNA 12 Jan 2013 -- In yet another setback to cross-LoC travel, Pakistan on Friday decided to suspend 'Paigam-e-Aman' bus service between Pakistan-Occupied Kashmir (PoK) and Jammu and Kashmir.
- India and Pakistan Square Up Over Kashmir RIA Novosti 12 Jan 2013 -- India and Pakistan are rushing to reinforce their armed forces in the disputed border area of Kashmir, following a spate of clashes between their armies last week across the so-called Line of Control which left several soldiers dead, Indian TV channel Zee News reported.
- Pakistan Protests Attacks Along Indian Border VOA 11 Jan 2013 -- Pakistan has lodged a strong protest against what it said are repeated, unacceptable and unprovoked attacks on Pakistani soldiers by the Indian army.
- India summons Pak High Commissioner IRNA 10 Jan 2013 -- India on Wednesday summoned the Pakistan High Commissioner to convey a 'strong protest' over the Pakistani Army action in which two Indian soldiers were killed and their bodies subjected to 'barbaric and inhuman mutilation' in Jammu and Kashmir.
- Pakistani army denies Indian statement on border firing IRNA 10 Jan 2013 -- Pakistani military has denied Indian statement that Pakistani troops crossed into Indian part of Kashmir and ambushed an Army patrol party, killing its two soldiers.
- Pakistan willing to probe Indian claim on cross-border attack IRNA 10 Jan 2013 -- Pakistan said it is ready to investigate Indian claim that Pakistani troops have crossed into Indian-administered Kashmir and killed two Indian soldiers.
- Pakistan Says Indian Troops Kill Pakistani Soldier in Kashmir VOA 10 Jan 2013 -- Pakistan's army said Indian troops have shot and killed a Pakistani soldier, the third deadly cross-border incident in the disputed Kashmir region in recent days.
- Pakistani Military Says Indian Fire Kills Soldier RFE/RL 10 Jan 2013 -- The Pakistani military says Indian troops shot and killed a Pakistani soldier in the third deadly cross-border incident reported in five days in the disputed region of Kashmir.
- India test-fires manoeuvrable version of BrahMos IRNA 10 Jan 2013 -- India ON Wednesday successfully test-fired a highly manoeuvrable version of the 290-km range supersonic cruise missile BrahMos from a naval warship off the coast of Vishakhapatnam in Bay of Bengal.
- India Vows Response To Pakistani Attack RFE/RL 09 Jan 2013 -- India's defense minister has condemned what he called the Pakistani Army's treatment of two Indian soldiers who were killed along the Line of Control in Kashmir.
- India Tests Sea-Based Brahmos Missile RIA Novosti 09 Jan 2013 -- The Indian Navy successfully tested on Wednesday a highly-maneuverable version of a sea-based Brahmos supersonic cruise missile, an Indian defense source told RIA Novosti.
- India: Pakistani Troops Kill 2 Indian Soldiers in Kashmir VOA 08 Jan 2013 -- India said Pakistani troops have shot dead two Indian soldiers near the countries' disputed border in Kashmir, two days after Pakistan said one of its soldiers was killed in the area.
- Pakistan: Soldier Killed As Indian Troops Raid Military Post RFE/RL 06 Jan 2013 -- Pakistan's military says one of its soldiers was killed when Indian troops raided a military post along the de facto border in Kashmir.
- India-Pakistan Clash Unlikely to Affect Long-Term Relations VOA 06 Jan 2013 -- Pakistan is accusing India of a cross-border raid in the disputed Kashmir territory, killing at least one Pakistani soldier and critically wounding another. But Indian officials say their troops fired across the border after being attacked from Pakistan. The incident is unlikely to seriously affect the peace process that has dramatically improved diplomatic ties.
- European Airbus bags multi-crore deal to supply six refuelling aircraft to IAF IRNA 05 Jan 2013 -- European Airbus has bagged a deal worth around rs 8,000 crore to supply six mid-air refueling tanker aircraft to the Indian Air Force (IAF), which will deploy them to extend the striking range of its fighter jets deployed along the Indo-China border in the Northeast.
- Indian Govt imposes five per cent cut in defense budget IRNA 03 Jan 2013 -- The government of India has imposed around five per cent cut in the Rs 1.93 lakh crore defense budget in view of the economic slowdown following which key deals like procurement of 126 multi-role combat aircraft are likely to be pushed to the next fiscal.
- India, Pakistan Exchange Nuclear Facilities List VOA 01 Jan 2013 -- India and Pakistan have exchanged lists of their nuclear installations and facilities as part of an ongoing agreement.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list