Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
October 2012 - India Special Weapons News
- India’s Kalpakkam Nuke plant goes on alert IRNA 31 Oct 2012 -- With cyclone 'Nilam' intensifying into a severe storm, Madras Atomic Power Station at coastal Kalpakkam said the situation was being "closely watched" and asserted the plant is designed to withstand a wind velocity of 160 kmph.
- India's New FM to Focus on Pakistan, China Relations VOA 30 Oct 2012 -- India’s new foreign minister says he will strengthen relations with Pakistan and China. Salman Khurshid is expected to bring new energy to the government's efforts to improve ties with regional neighbors.
- Upgraded Indian Submarine Starts Seas Trials in Russia RIA Novosti 30 Oct 2012 -- An Indian Kilo class diesel-electric submarine that has been overhauled at the Zvezdochka shipyard in northern Russia has sailed for two-week sea trials.
- IAEA team begins safety review at India’s nuclear plants IRNA 30 Oct 2012 -- A 12-member Operational Safety Review Team from International Atomic Energy Agency began the operational safety review at Rajasthan Atomic Power Station.
- Indian cabinet clears 10,000 Russian anti-tank missiles for Army IRNA 26 Oct 2012 -- A Rs 1,200 crore proposal for procuring 10,000 anti-tank guided missiles for the Army from Russia was cleared by the Cabinet Committee on Security.
- India’s new Nuclear plants may be located in heart of city IRNA 26 Oct 2012 -- Scientists are busy designing nuclear reactors that can be located in the heart of the city and construction on which may begin within the next five years.
- Pakistan dismisses Indian Home Minister's remarks on infiltration IRNA 24 Oct 2012 -- Pakistan dismissed as ‘baseless and unfounded’ remarks by Indian Home Minister, Sushil Kumar Shinde, that Islamabad is 'helping terrorists' enter Indian territory.
- India-China Ties Improve but Strategic Rivalry Not Over VOA 19 Oct 2012 -- Fifty years after India and China fought a brief war, the Asian giants have set aside their bitter decades-long rivalry and trade is booming.
- India’s CCS clears Rs 8,000 crore missile purchase for Armed Forces IRNA 19 Oct 2012 -- Proposals worth over Rs 8,000 crore for procuring around 10,000 'Invar' missiles from Russia for the Army's T-90 tanks and over 200 air-launched versions of the BrahMos supersonic cruise missiles for the IAF were cleared.
- India Approves $1.5-Bln Russian Missile Buy RIA Novosti 19 Oct 2012 -- The Indian government approved a $1.5-billion deal to buy 200 air-launched variants of the Russian-Indian BrahMos supersonic cruise missile and 10,000 Russian-made Invar anti-tank missiles.
- US, Indian Navies to Hold INDIAEX 2012 NNS 18 Oct 2012 -- The U.S. and Indian navies will conduct exercise INDIAEX 2012, a bilateral exercise designed to demonstrate cooperation between the U.S. submarine rescue system and Indian submarines.
- Report: Asian Powers Beef up Military Spending VOA 16 Oct 2012 -- Security analysts say a new study on regional military spending indicates Asia's major powers, led by China, are getting serious about defense matters.
- India to Cut Stealth Fighter Order by Third RIA Novosti 16 Oct 2012 -- India is cutting its order for a fifth-generation stealth fighter being developed jointly with Russia by a third, India's Air Chief Marshal N A K Browne told India Strategic.
- Pacom Chief Encourages Closer U.S.-India Security Ties AFPS 15 Oct 2012 -- In his first visit to India as commander of U.S. Pacific Command, Navy Adm. Samuel J. Locklear III encouraged a closer defense relationship between the United States and India.
- 3 Indian naval personnel killed in chopper crash IRNA 15 Oct 2012 -- Three Indian naval personnel, including two officers, were killed on Monday when their Chetak helicopter crashed while landing at a naval base.
- Civil Nuclear Cooperation Tops Australia-India Talks VOA 15 Oct 2012 -- Australia’s prime minister is expected to begin talks on civil nuclear cooperation with Indian leaders during a three-day visit to New Delhi.
- BrahMos to Test Submarine-Launch Missile by Year-End RIA Novosti 12 Oct 2012 -- BrahMos, the Russian-Indian supersonic cruise missile joint venture, is to test-fire their anti-ship missile from a submarine platform by year-end, the Russian partner NPO Mashninostroyenie said Friday.
- Russia and India Sign Transport Plane Deal RIA Novosti 12 Oct 2012 -- India and Russia gave the green light on Friday to a long-delayed joint project to develop a Military Transport Aircraft, Russia's United Aircraft Corporation (OAK) said after the signing ceremony in New Delhi.
- India to buy 42 combat planes from Russia IRNA 11 Oct 2012 -- India is all set to procure 42 Su-30 MKI combat aircraft and 71 medium-lift helicopters from Russia.
- Russia to Deliver Indian Carrier in Fall 2013 – Minister RIA Novosti 10 Oct 2012 -- Russia plans to deliver the overhauled aircraft carrier Vikramaditya to the Indian Navy in the fourth quarter of 2013, Defense Minister Anatoly Serdyukov said on Wednesday after an intergovernmental meeting in New Delhi.
- India to Build Export T-50 Stealth Fighter by 2020 RIA Novosti 10 Oct 2012 -- India will begin production of an export variant of Russian plane-maker Sukhoi's T-50 stealth fighter from 2020, Russian Defense Minister Anatoly Serdyukov said on Wednesday during a visit to Delhi.
- India May Seek $100 Mln Fine Over Carrier Delay RIA Novosti 09 Oct 2012 -- India may seek more than $100 million in penalty payments from Russia for delays in handing over the refitted aircraft carrier Vikramaditya, India's Economic Times reported on Tuesday.
- India Modifies Brahmos Missile With New Nav System RIA Novosti 09 Oct 2012 -- India has uprated its BrahMos supersonic cruise missiles by installing the advanced satellite navigation systems from Russia's Kh-555 and Kh-101 strategic long-range cruise missiles, adding GPS-GLONASS technology to the existing doppler-inertial platform, Izvestia reported on Tuesday quoting sources in the military-industrial complex.
- Russia Hopes to Win Indian Transport Helicopter Tender RIA Novosti 09 Oct 2012 -- Russia is hoping to win a tender on the delivery of 15 heavy-lift helicopters to the Indian Air Force, state-run arms exporter Rosoboronexport said.
- India Successfully Test Fires BrahMos Cruise Missile RIA Novosti 07 Oct 2012 -- The Indian Navy has successfully test-fired a BrahMos supersonic cruise missile launched from a warship off the western Goa coast, India's Defense Research and Development Organization (DRDO) reported on Sunday.
- India Announces More Economic Reforms VOA 05 Oct 2012 -- India has unveiled new measures to attract foreign investment in the insurance and pension sectors.
- India successfully test fires Prithvi-II missile IRNA 04 Oct 2012 -- India successfully test-fired its nuclear-capable Prithvi-II ballistic missile from a test range near Balasore in Odihsa state as part of a user trial by the army.
- Indian Carrier Handover Delayed - Builders RIA Novosti 02 Oct 2012 -- The refurbishment of an Indian Navy aircraft carrier has hit further snags, with handover delayed to fall 2013, Russia's United Shipbuilding Corporation said.
- Addressing UN General Debate, Indian minister calls for international convention on terrorism UN News Centre 01 Oct 2012 -- India’s Minister of External Affairs, S. M. Krishna, used his address before the United Nations General Assembly today to call for universal rejection of acts of terror and piracy.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list