Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
April 2012 - India Special Weapons News
- Huge scope for exporting weapon system: DRDO chief IRNA 30 Apr 2012 -- The weapon system and defence technology developed by Defence Research and Development Organisation are competitive.
- National Threat Intelligence Centre proposed for cyber security: India IRNA 30 Apr 2012 -- India’s Home Minister P Chidambaram disclosed that the government proposed to create a national structure for cyber security and establish a National Threat Intelligence Centre.
- Russian-Built Frigate Joins Indian Navy RIA Novosti 27 Apr 2012 -- India on Friday formally commissioned a new frigate into its navy, following a handover ceremony at a shipyard in Russia's Baltic exclave of Kaliningrad.
- India Successfully Launches 'All-Weather' Surveillance Satellite VOA 26 Apr 2012 -- India has successfully launched a satellite that experts say will dramatically boost the country's ability to view detailed images of the earth.
- Ukraine on Brink of Missile Deal with India - Media RIA Novosti 25 Apr 2012 -- Ukraine is close to signing one of its biggest ever defense deals for air-to-air missiles with India, according to Russian media reports.
- Afghan-Pak region, China's strategic rivalry pose challenges: Antony IRNA 24 Apr 2012 -- The strategic and security implications from Afghan-Pak region, China's strategic rivalry and domestic and trans-national terrorism were the challenges outlined by the Defence Minister A K Antony Tuesday who said these cannot be felt in the same measure by other countries.
- India all set to develop reusable rockets: DRDO chief IRNA 23 Apr 2012 -- After the successful launch of Agni-5 Inter-Continental Ballistic Missile (ICBM), India is all set to develop reusable rockets which will combine the technologies of both ballistic and cruise missiles.
- Pakistan Zardari says no unilateral troops withdrawal from Siachen IRNA 20 Apr 2012 -- Pakistan's President Zardari ruled out any unilateral withdrawal of troops from Siachen.
- Indian Space agency in active mode for Mars mission: Report IRNA 20 Apr 2012 -- India has completed a significant amount of work on next year’s planned Mars mission for which scientific payloads have been short-listed.
- India Declares Itself Major Missile Power VOA 19 Apr 2012 -- India said it successfully test-fired a new missile capable of carrying a nuclear warhead as far as Beijing - announcing itself as a major "missile power."
- Success of Agni-5 a major milestone in India’s quest to its security: PM IRNA 19 Apr 2012 -- Prime Minister Manmohan Singh hailed the test firing of Inter Continental Ballistic Missile Agni V.
- India Test Fires Long-Range Nuclear-Capable Missile VOA 19 Apr 2012 -- India has test fired a long-range, nuclear-capable missile which can reach targets in China and Europe.
- Maiden test-fire of India's 'Agni-V' missile successful IRNA 19 Apr 2012 -- India conducted a successful test-fire of its indigenously developed nuclear capable 'Agni-V' ballistic missile.
- India Launches Long-Range Missile RFE/RL 19 Apr 2012 -- Indian officials say they have successfully tested a long-range ballistic missile capable of delivering a warhead to Beijing or other major Chinese cities.
- India Tests First Intercontinental Ballistic Missile RIA Novosti 19 Apr 2012 -- India tested its first long-range intercontinental ballistic missile able to carry a nuclear warhead deep into China or Europe.
- India welcomes General Kayani's statement on Siachen IRNA 19 Apr 2012 -- India welcomed Pakistani Army Chief General Ashfaq Parvez Kayani's remarks on resolving the Siachen issue and demilitarisation there.
- Pakistan Army Chief Calls for Demilitarization of World Highest Battleground VOA 18 Apr 2012 -- Pakistan’s powerful military chief has made a rare call for the demilitarization of the Siachen Glacier.
- India cannot be target for regime based restrictions: Foreign Secretary IRNA 18 Apr 2012 -- India said it cannot be the target of regime based restrictions and pitched for full membership of export control entities, including the Nuclear Suppliers Group.
- NATO Says India Poses No Missile Threat RIA Novosti 18 Apr 2012 -- NATO does not consider India as a missile threat despite the country’s advanced missile development program, NATO Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen said.
- In a first, indian Gov't penalizes defense firm for graft IRNA 17 Apr 2012 -- In a first, India has seized a bank guarantee worth Rs 2.24 billion furnished by an Israeli defence vendor for breach of integrity pact.
- India To Test Intercontinental Missile RFE/RL 16 Apr 2012 -- India is reportedly set to test-fire a new long-range nuclear-capable missile this week.
- India PM: Center, States Must Unite Against Terror VOA 16 Apr 2012 -- Prime Minister Manmohan Singh sought to reassure chief ministers of India's states he is on their side in securing the country's internal security.
- In wake of Afghanistan attacks India asks forces to be vigilant IRNA 16 Apr 2012 -- Noting that the situation in Afghanistan-Pakistan region continues to be a cause of concern, India’s Defence Minister A K Antony asked the armed forces to be more vigilant.
- India, Pakistan Take Steps to Boost Trade VOA 16 Apr 2012 -- India and Pakistan have inaugurated a new trading post on the heavily militarized Attari-Wagah border between the two countries.
- IAF facing critical shortages: Parliamentary Panel told IRNA 15 Apr 2012 -- The Indian Air Force (IAF) is facing 'critical deficiency' of trainer aircraft and simulators, fighter squadrons are depleting and some airfields do not have certain landing facilities, a parliamentary panel has been informed.
- Indian Army to acquire new air defence system IRNA 13 Apr 2012 -- Indian Army has initiated the process of acquiring modern defence system to thwart enemy aircraft and missiles.
- India 'watchful' of China's rising military profile IRNA 11 Apr 2012 -- Noting that China has upgraded its military force projection through rapid modernisation, India's Defence Ministry said the country was 'conscious and watchful' of Beijing's rising military profile in the immediate and extended neighbourhood.
- India’s Defense Minister Dismisses Reports India Not Battle Ready VOA 10 Apr 2012 -- Assurances follow recent concerns expressed by India’s army chief about the country’s defense preparedness.
- Tank munition reserves: Antony terms reports as 'rumours' IRNA 10 Apr 2012 -- Dismissing as 'rumours' reports about shortage of certain tank ammunition, Defence Minister A K Antony Tuesday said there will always be 'shortcomings' but the country was in a much stronger position as compared to the past.
- India, Pakistan Discuss Terrorism in Rare Top-Level Meeting VOA 08 Apr 2012 -- The leaders of India and Pakistan have spoken face to face during a rare shared meal in New Delhi. They talked frankly on subjects ranging from terrorism to disputed Kashmir.
- Pakistani President Zardari In India For Landmark Visit RFE/RL 08 Apr 2012 -- Pakistani President Asif Ali Zardari and Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh have agreed in talks that the two neighboring countries should adopt a step-by-step approach to resolve their differences.
- Singh-Zardari meet, no structured agenda, focus on bilateral ties IRNA 08 Apr 2012 -- Focus will be on bilateral issues when Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has a one-on-one meeting with Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari, who is making a three-hour stopover here tomorrow.
- India, Pak willing to find pragmatic solutions to number of issues: PM IRNA 08 Apr 2012 -- Signalling a positive outcome, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Pakistan President Asif Ali Zardari on Sunday said the two countries are willing to find 'practical, pragmatic' solutions to a 'number of issues' affecting the bilateral relationship.
- Indian Navy plans to procure 75 'Multirole' helicopter IRNA 07 Apr 2012 -- In one of the world's largest tenders for multirole helicopters, the Indian Navy is planning to procure more than 75 such choppers at an estimated cost of over USD four billion to meet the demand of its expanding area of operations.
- Vikramaditya Carrier to Start Sea Trials in May RIA Novosti 06 Apr 2012 -- Sea trials of the aircraft carrier Vikramaditya are scheduled to start on May 25.
- India successfully carried out Maiden test flight of second AEWACS aircraft IRNA 06 Apr 2012 -- India has successfully carried out the maiden test flight of its second indigenous Airborne Early Warning and Control System aircraft.
- France seeks clarity on nuclear-liability rules IRNA 06 Apr 2012 -- France has sought clarifications from India on the legislation that seeks to provide compensation to victims of a nuclear accident.
- Pakistan's PM Criticizes US Bounty on Militant VOA 05 Apr 2012 -- Pakistan is criticizing the U.S. decision to place a $10 million bounty on the founder of a militant group blamed for attacks in India.
- Indian Navy to operate five nuclear submarines by end of decade IRNA 05 Apr 2012 -- Indian Navy is all set to operate five nuclear submarines by the end of this decade.
- India Inducts Nuclear Powered Submarine into Navy VOA 04 Apr 2012 -- India has introduced a nuclear powered submarine into its navy, becoming the sixth country in the world to operate such a warship.
- Indian Navy to induct Nerpa nuke submarine IRNA 04 Apr 2012 -- India is all set to join the elite club of nations having nuclear-powered submarines with the induction of the Russian-origin 'Nerpa' into the Navy Wednesday.
- India to Commission Russia’s Nerpa Nuclear Sub RIA Novosti 04 Apr 2012 -- The Indian Navy will officially commission Russia’s K-152 Nerpa nuclear-powered attack submarine.
- Indian PM, Defence Minister dismiss report on troop movement towards Delhi IRNA 04 Apr 2012 -- India’s Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Defence Minister A K Antony rubbished a news report on 'unusual' troop movement towards Delhi.
- India Welcomes US Bounty for Alleged Plotter of 2008 Mumbai Attacks VOA 03 Apr 2012 -- India has welcomed the U.S. announcement of a $10 million bounty for the founder of the militant group Lashkar-e-Taiba.
- U.S. Puts $10 Million Bounty On Lashkar-e Taiba Founder RFE/RL 03 Apr 2012 -- The United States has announced a $10 million reward for information leading to the arrest and conviction of a founding member of the Pakistan-based militant group Lashkar-e Taiba.
- US Offers $10 Million for Pakistan Islamist VOA 03 Apr 2012 -- The United States has offered a $10 million bounty for Hafiz Mohammad Saeed, founder of the outlawed Pakistani militant group Lashkar-e-Taiba.
- Indian Space Agency bags Rs 100-crore deal to launch French satellite IRNA 03 Apr 2012 -- Indian Space Research Organisation has signed a deal worth Rs 100 crore to launch a 800 kg satellite of French company.
- Pakistan's President to Visit India As Relations Improve VOA 02 Apr 2012 -- Pakistan President Zardari will meet with Indian PM Singh on April 8 in the first visit to India by a Pakistani head of state since 2005.
- Indian Navy to operate two nuclear submarines in near future IRNA 01 Apr 2012 -- With India set to induct the Russian 'Nerpa' nuclear submarine next week, DRDO Chief V K Saraswat today said the INS Arihant-- the indigenous nuclear under-water vessel, would be launched for operations in the near future.
- BrahMos develops anti-aircraft variant of the missile IRNA 01 Apr 2012 -- Indo-Russian joint venture BrahMos has developed an anti-aircraft carrier variant of the 290-km supersonic cruise missile.
- India planning launch of over 5000km-range Agni-5 next month IRNA 01 Apr 2012 -- India will join the elite club of nations having Inter Continental Ballistic Missiles (ICBM) with the DRDO planning to carry out the launch of over 5,000 km-range Agni-5 missile next month.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list