Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
October 2011 - India Special Weapons News
- US-Pakistan Tensions Could Harm Regional Security VOA 21 Oct 2011 -- India has expressed hopes that U.S. differences with Pakistan over Islamabad's alleged support to insurgents will be resolved amicably.
- Pakistan wants to take India dialogue process forward: FM IRNA 21 Oct 2011 -- Pakistani FM Khar told the top Indian envoy that her country is keen to take the Dialogue Process forward in a sustained and result-oriented manner.
- Indian Navy deploys maritime surveillance aircraft in Maldives IRNA 19 Oct 2011 -- The Indian Navy has deployed a Dornier maritime surveillance aircraft in Maldives for carrying out anti-piracy operations.
- MiG-29 aircraft crashes in India’s Himachal Pradesh state IRNA 19 Oct 2011 -- A MiG-29 fighter aircraft crashed into a mountain during a night flying exercise near Lahaul-Spiti in Himachal Pradesh.
- Three killed as Indian border security force chopper crashes IRNA 19 Oct 2011 -- An Indian Border Security Force helicopter on anti-Naxal duty crashed on the outskirts of Ranchi in Jharkhand state.
- India to buy uranium from South Africa IRNA 19 Oct 2011 -- India is working out mechanisms with South Africa to access its uranium which is available in sufficient quantity in South Africa.
- Europe offers 300-km-range “Taurus missiles to India for its Sukhois IRNA 18 Oct 2011 -- MBDA has offered their 300 km-range Taurus stand-off missile system to the Indian Air Force for its fighter jets.
- India to procure 80 FICs from Sri Lanka to equip Navy’s SPB IRNA 18 Oct 2011 -- India has signed a deal worth over Rs3000 billion to procure 80 fast-interception craft from a Sri Lankan firm.
- All Indian nuclear plants pass stress tests: AEC IRNA 18 Oct 2011 -- In a reinforcement of nuclear safety in India, all atomic power plants have 'passed' stress tests ordered by PM Singh.
- India successfully launches PSLV-C18 carrying 4 satellites IRNA 12 Oct 2011 -- India on Wednesday successfully launched Indo-French climate monitoring satellite 'Megha-Trpiques and three other nano satellites on board PSLV-C18 from the spaceport of Sriharikota in southern state of Andhra Pradesh.
- Indian Navy-Net security provider to Island nations in IOR: Antony IRNA 12 Oct 2011 -- India's Defence Minister, A K Antony Wednesday assured maritime neighbors of the country's 'unstinted support for their security and economic prosperity'.
- Indian Army chief advocates greater synergy among three forces IRNA 11 Oct 2011 -- Considering security situation along India's borders and in its neighborhood, Army Chief General V. K. Singh here Monday advocated greater synergy among three forces and laid emphasis on macro level security issues.
- Indo-French Joint Training Ex Shakti – 11 kicks off IRNA 11 Oct 2011 -- An Indo-French joint military exercise, aimed at enhancing various combat skills, promoting mutual understanding and inter-operability between the two armies kick started Monday at Chaubattia in Ranikhet of Utranchal state.
- India non-committal on Ayni air base in Tajikistan IRNA 06 Oct 2011 -- India, Tajikistan and Russia are in negotiations on Joint use of Ayni Air Base, close to the Tajik capital Dushanbe which is set to acquire strategic significance after US withdrawal from Afghanistan.
- India to get delivery of INS Vikramaditya by Dec 2012: Antony IRNA 05 Oct 2011 -- India will get delivery of its much-awaited aircraft carrier INS Vikramaditya from Russia by December next year, Defence Minister A K Antony has said, amid reports that Moscow will hand over the leased Nerpa nuclear submarine next month.
- Karzai Seeks Stronger Ties With India As Tensions With Pakistan Rise RFE/RL 04 Oct 2011 -- Afghanistan and India, united by mutual suspicions of neighboring Pakistan, took steps to build closer relations as Afghan President Hamid Karzai began a two-day visit in New Delhi.
- Indian Air Force's LCA project suffers setback IRNA 04 Oct 2011 -- India's ambitious project to develop indigenous Light Combat Aircraft (LCA) has suffered a setback as Initial Operational Clearance (IOC) for aircraft was delayed by another year.
- Defence ministers of India, Russia set to hold crucial talks IRNA 04 Oct 2011 -- India and Russia are set to hold crucial negotiations for speeding up deliveries of key weapons systems, including transfer of Nerpa class nuclear submarine on lease, and finalise the agenda for the bilateral summit scheduled for December-end.
- Russia to lease troubled nuclear sub to India in November RIA Novosti 04 Oct 2011 -- A Russian nuclear submarine in which 20 people died during a 2008 sea trial will be leased to India in mid-November, a source in the Russian defense industry said on Tuesday.
- Fleet tanker 'INS Shakti' inducted into Indian Navy IRNA 01 Oct 2011 -- Chief of Naval Staff, Admiral Nirmal Verma Saturday said that induction of Fleet Tanker INS Shakti would mark beginning of a new era of state-of-the-art technologies for the Indian Navy.
- India to induct 29 Mig-29K in Navy within two years: Navy Chief IRNA 01 Oct 2011 -- Chief of Naval Staff, Admiral Nirmal Verma Saturday said that more Mig-29K class air fighter air-craft and helicopters would be inducted into the Indian Navy in the next two years.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list