Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
June 2011 - India Special Weapons News
- Indian Navy to buy 80 interception boats from Lankan firm IRNA 30 Jun 2011 -- As part of the exercise to strengthen coastal security post 26/11, Indian Navy has decided to procure 80 interception boats at a cost of Rs 300 crore from a Sri Lanka-based ship manufacturer.
- India on campaign to get membership of top nuke clubs IRNA 28 Jun 2011 -- India said on Tuesday it aims to get full membership of the four elite multilateral export control regimes that monitor the global movement of atomic material and equipment.
- Pakistan, India to strengthen anti-terror cooperation IRNA 24 Jun 2011 -- Top Pakistani and Indian diplomats Friday concluded their two-day dialogue with a positive note and agreed on the need to strengthen cooperation on counter-terrorism.
- India, Pakistan Hold Peace Talks VOA 23 Jun 2011 -- India and Pakistan are holding talks focused on peace and security in a bid to repair relations that have been strained since the 2008 Mumbai terrorist attacks.
- Top Indian, Pakistani Diplomats To Meet In Islamabad RFE/RL 23 Jun 2011 -- Top Indian and Pakistani diplomats are to open two days of scheduled talks in a bid to push forward the peace process between the nuclear-armed neighboring rivals.
- Pakistan, India to begin 2-day talks today IRNA 23 Jun 2011 -- The Pakistani and Indian foreign secretaries will begin two-day talks in Islamabad to discuss the longstanding Kashmir dispute, Peace and Security and confidence building measures.
- China supports India, Pakistan resolving differences through talks IRNA 23 Jun 2011 -- China supports dialogue between Pakistan and India to resolve their differences.
- India releases six Pakistani prisoners IRNA 23 Jun 2011 -- India has sent back six Pakistani prisoners after they were released on Wednesday from different jails.
- Develop indigenous weapon systems suited to Indian climate IRNA 23 Jun 2011 -- India’s Defence Minister, A K Antony asked the domestic industry to develop indigenous weapons systems.
- China will make efforts to enhance military ties with India IRNA 21 Jun 2011 -- With an Indian army delegation visiting China after a year-long hiatus, Beijing said it would make 'considerable' efforts to enhance exchanges and cooperation between the two militaries.
- India to get Nerpa Akula-II N-submarine this year IRNA 21 Jun 2011 -- India would receive its first new generation Nerpa Akula-II class nuclear attack submarine, which is undergoing sea trials in Russia, by the end of this year.
- India Puts Security, Trade With Burma Ahead of Democracy VOA 21 Jun 2011 -- India's foreign minister is in Burma for meetings with top leaders that are expected to focus on security and trade.
- Boeing Begins Final Assembly of India's 1st P-8I Aircraft Boeing 21 Jun 2011 -- Boeing [NYSE: BA] began final assembly of the Indian navy's first P-8I long-range maritime reconnaissance aircraft this month at the company's Renton factory.
- India To Acquire C-17s Exclusively Powered By Pratt & Whitney F117 Engines Pratt & Whitney 20 Jun 2011 -- Pratt & Whitney, a unit of United Technologies Corp. (NYSE: UTX), today announced that India's Ministry of Defence has signed a Letter of Offer and Acceptance with the U.S. government to acquire 10 Boeing C-17 Globemaster III airlifters exclusively powered by four Pratt & Whitney F117 engines. According to the agreement, India will take delivery of its C-17s in 2013 and 2014.
- India-Pakistan Talks to Focus on Terrorism VOA 20 Jun 2011 -- India says talks this week with South Asian rival, Pakistan, will likely focus on concerns regarding terrorism.
- Indian Navy to procure new multi role helicopters IRNA 20 Jun 2011 -- The Indian Navy is looking to procure more such choppers for carrying out anti-submarine warfare and Special Forces' operations.
- India to testflight cryogenic telecom satellite launcher rocket IRNA 18 Jun 2011 -- India will undertake the test-flight of its indigenous cryogenic stage onboard homegrown rocket GSLV-D5 which will launch GSAT-14 by the middle of 2012.
- Germany eases export control laws for India's nuclear sector IRNA 18 Jun 2011 -- Germany announced easing of export control laws to allow India access to dual use items, marking a major development that will benefit the expanding nuclear energy sector here.
- India to gift Howitzers and computers to Bangladesh IRNA 17 Jun 2011 -- India's Army Chief Gen V K Singh will gift howitzers and modern computers to Bangladesh during his five-day visit to Dhaka staring on Sunday.
- 7 million doses of H1N1 vaccine to be destroyed in India IRNA 16 Jun 2011 -- It was a race for preparing the country's first ever vaccine against the H1N1 virus or swine flu. In Pune, Serum Institute of India took up the challenge and launched the indigenously developed vaccine, Nasovac, in July last year. But now that the pandemic has retreated, the institute will have to discard at least 7 million unused doses.
- India, Canada to complete ratification of nuclear-deal soon IRNA 16 Jun 2011 -- India and Canada are close to completing the ratification process of their civil nuclear agreement, paving the way for transfer of technology, sale of atomic reactors as well as uranium.
- Boeing to Build 10 C-17 Airlifters for Indian Air Force Boeing 15 Jun 2011 -- Boeing [NYSE: BA] today announced that India's Ministry of Defence has signed an agreement with the U.S. government to acquire 10 Boeing C-17 Globemaster III airlifters. The Foreign Military Sale -- approved by the U.S. Congress in May 2010 -- establishes India as the C-17's largest international customer.
- India rules out 2+2 format for dialogue with US IRNA 14 Jun 2011 -- India on Tuesday ruled out dialogue with the US in the 'two-plus-two' format that involves joint meeting between their foreign and defence ministers, saying it has no such practice with any country.
- Russian-Indian JV to develop Brahmos-2 hypersonic missile RIA Novosti 12 Jun 2011 -- The Russian-Indian joint venture Brahmos Aerospace will start developing a new Brahmos-2 hypersonic missile this year, Brahmos Aerospace Director Alexander Maksichev said on Sunday.
- India concerned over danger to Pak nukes from terrorists: minister IRNA 11 Jun 2011 -- India's Defence Minister, A K Antony voiced concern over the 'danger and threat' of Pakistan's nuclear arsenal falling into the hands of terrorists and said it is closely monitoring the situation in the neighbourhood.
- Indian nuclear plant poses no health hazard: NPCIL IRNA 11 Jun 2011 -- There has been no increase in morbidity patterns due to radiation in any nuclear power plant in the country, including at Kaiga and the radiation dose to the public is well within AERB stipulations, authorities asserted in Karwar in Karnataka Saturday.
- India Presses Forward Investigations of Mumbai Bombing Suspect VOA 10 Jun 2011 -- India has expressed disappointment with ruling that cleared a Pakistani-born Canadian national of charges.
- India developing indigenous artillery guns for armed forces IRNA 10 Jun 2011 -- The Defence Research and Development Organisation has started developing an indigenous 155 mm 52 calibre howitzer.
- India successfully test-fires Prithvi-II Missile IRNA 09 Jun 2011 -- India on Thursday successfully test-fired its nuclear capable Prithvi-II ballistic missile from the Integrated Test Range at Chandipur.
- Indian Air Force inducts upgraded Antonov-32 airlift aircraft IRNA 09 Jun 2011 -- The Indian Air Force inducted four upgraded Antonov-32 aircraft, which underwent overhauling and technical life extension program in Ukraine.
- DCNS India signs a contract with a local Partner under the Scorpene submarines programme (P75) DCNS 08 Jun 2011 -- DCNS India signs a contract with a local Partner under the Scorpene submarines programme (P75)
- India, Pakistan added 20-30 nuke warheads in past one year IRNA 08 Jun 2011 -- India and Pakistan have added 20-30 nuclear warheads in their arsenal in the past one year.
- India's latest warship 'INS Kabra' joins Navy IRNA 08 Jun 2011 -- India's latest warship 'INS Kabra' was on commissioned at Naval Base at Kochi in Kerala state.
- India Approves $4 Billion Boeing Aircraft Deal VOA 06 Jun 2011 -- India's Cabinet has approved a proposed $4 billion deal to purchase military transport aircraft from the U.S. aerospace giant Boeing.
- Indian Navy touts 'significant success' in fighting pirates RIA Novosti 06 Jun 2011 -- India has deployed naval vessels in the eastern Arabian Sea and has achieved "significant success" in the past few months combating piracy.
- India regrets cancellation of naval drills with Russia - admiral RIA Novosti 03 Jun 2011 -- The Indian Navy is disappointed with Russia's last- minute cancellation of joint naval drills in the Pacific Ocean in April, Chief of Naval Staff Admiral Nirmal Verma said.
- Afghanistan desires stronger defense ties with India IRNA 01 Jun 2011 -- Afghanistan said Wednesday it aimeds at establishing closer defense ties with India and would welcome any cooperation from it in training of its security forces.
- Indian Prime Minister reviews atomic disaster preparedness IRNA 01 Jun 2011 -- India's Prime Minister, Dr. Manmohan Singh on Wednesday reviewed India's atomic disaster preparedness at a high level meeting in New Delhi.
- Indian navy in control of situation on piracy front: Naval Chief IRNA 01 Jun 2011 -- Indian naval chief Admiral Nirmal Verma said that the Indian navy was going ahead with its anti-piracy operations without a let-up and was in control of the situation on the piracy front.
- Indian scientists develop indigenous online Gamma Dose Logger IRNA 01 Jun 2011 -- Indian scientists have developed for the first time a Local Area Network (LAN) based online 'Gamma Dose' logger to continuously monitor ionising radiation in the environment around nuclear reactors and associated fuel cycle facilities.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list