Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
April 2011 - India Special Weapons News
- India rejects US firm in $ 10 billion fighter aircraft deal IRNA 29 Apr 2011 -- India’s Defence Ministry has asked the shortlisted European Eurofighter and French Dassault Rafale to extend the validity of their commercial bids till December 31.
- New breakthrough' in military ties with India: China IRNA 28 Apr 2011 -- China said a 'new breakthrough' has been achieved in its military relations with India, noting that a high-level Indian defense delegation would soon be visiting this country.
- US 'Deeply Disappointed' by Indian Fighter Deal Setback VOA 28 Apr 2011 -- U.S. efforts to forge defense industry links with India have been handed a major setback: the Indian air force has eliminated American companies from a fighter jet competition.
- Russia, Sweden, U.S. fall out of Indian fighter deal RIA Novosti 28 Apr 2011 -- France's Dassault Rafale and the Eurofighter Typhoon look set to be on the final shortlist for a $10 billion tender for 126 fighter aircraft for the Indian air force.
- 4 Indian army personnel killed in a case of fraticide IRNA 28 Apr 2011 -- In a case of fratricide, an Army personnel opened indiscriminate fire allegedly killing four of his colleagues.
- Mauritius looks at India in combating piracy in high seas IRNA 27 Apr 2011 -- Mauritius PM Ramgoolam has said that the two countries would work together in responding to security threats at sea.
- India determined to eliminate terrorism, piracy: president IRNA 27 Apr 2011 -- India said it is determined to fight and eliminate the menace of terrorism and piracy in cooperation with international community.
- India Announces Plans for New Nuclear Safety Body VOA 26 Apr 2011 -- Indian PM Singh says he will soon submit legislation to parliament on establishing a new organization to supervise nuclear safety in India.
- Pakistan army evades comments on contacting Indian PM IRNA 25 Apr 2011 -- Pakistan military spokesman has evaded comments on reports that Indian PM Singh had established contact with the country’s army chief General Kayani.
- India-Bangla border dispute to be resolved within 2011 IRNA 23 Apr 2011 -- Seeking to resolve their vexed boundary dispute, India and Bangladesh have completed joint survey along the international border in 80 per cent areas.
- 4 Indian Army men dead as wreckage of missing Dhruv Helicopter found IRNA 22 Apr 2011 -- Four Army personnel were killed in a Dhruv helicopter crash in north Sikkim near the Sino-India border, days after a Pawan Hans chopper went down in the northeast claiming 17 lives.
- Satellite Carrier Rocket Launched in India KCNA 22 Apr 2011 -- A carrier rocket loaded with three satellites was launched in India on April 20.
- Army chopper with four crew members missing in northeast India IRNA 21 Apr 2011 -- An Indian Army helicopter with two pilots and two soldiers went missing Thursday while flying over north Sikkim, triggering concerns over the fate of the machine and the personnel.
- Indian political party demands stop on all new nuclear projects IRNA 21 Apr 2011 -- The Communist Party of India (Marxist) (CPI-M) on Thursday demanded an immediate stop on all new nuclear projects, saying it was 'elementary' for the government to pay heed to public protests against such plants after the Fukushima disaster.
- Indian Air Force to deploy more fighter aircraft along Pak border IRNA 21 Apr 2011 -- Strengthening its presence along Pakistan border, Indian Air Force will deploy two squadrons of its frontline air superiority Su-30MKI fighter in Jodhpur.
- India successfully puts 3 satellites into orbit IRNA 20 Apr 2011 -- Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) on Wednesday successfully put into orbit three satellites using its trusted PSLV rocket, the space agency's first successful mission after the GSLV launch failure in December last year.
- Indian reactor undergoes design changes to increase safety, security IRNA 20 Apr 2011 -- India's Department of Atomic Energy (DAE) has envisaged an additional new role for the design of the much awaited 300 MW Advanced Heavy Water Reactor (AHWR) to increase proliferation resistance, safety and security characteristics and attract international utilities.
- Protest Escalates at Proposed Indian Nuclear SiteVOA 19 Apr 2011 -- Protests at the site of a proposed nuclear plant in India are heating up well in advance of a mass rally scheduled there next week. There has been at least one death so far, and demonstrators say the government is ignoring their concerns about the threat the reactor poses to their safety and livelihoods.
- India says all its nuclear plants safe IRNA 19 Apr 2011 -- All the nine nuclear plants in India are safe and the country will never face Japan-like situation as there is a lot of geographical difference between the two countries, Nuclear Energy Corporation of India claimed.
- India starts countdown for launch of 3 satellites RIA Novosti 18 Apr 2011 -- The Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) on Monday began a 54-hour countdown for the launch of three satellites, an ISRO press secretary said.
- China 'vigorously committed' to develop military ties with India IRNA 14 Apr 2011 -- China: 'Vigorously committed' to developing military ties with its 'important neighbour' and was ready to resolve the visa row through friendly consultation.
- India's nuclear plants soon to get additional safety features: NPCIL IRNA 14 Apr 2011 -- India's nuclear plants may soon get some additional safety features.
- India to Heighten Nuclear Safety VOA 14 Apr 2011 -- India says it is planning additional safety measures to protect the country's nuclear plants from a crisis similar to that of Japan.
- India, China move to hold joint military exercises IRNA 12 Apr 2011 -- India appears to be moving to resume military exercises with China as indications emerged that the two countries could be holding joint exercises in the near future.
- Pakistan to release 89 Indian prisoners IRNA 12 Apr 2011 -- Pakistan will release 89 Indian prisoners this week amid resumption of official talks for the first time since the 2008 Mumbai attacks.
- India repatriates 39 Pakistani prisoners IRNA 11 Apr 2011 -- In a goodwill gesture, India released 39 Pakistani nationals, including two women, from different jails across the country and repatriated them to Pakistan.
- Fire alarm forces shut down of India's reactor at Kaiga Nuke plant IRNA 09 Apr 2011 -- A nuclear power reactor at the Kaiga Generating Station (KGS) at Kaiga was shut down after a smoke detection alarm went off.
- India, Thailand to upgrade bilateral dialogue on defense issues IRNA 06 Apr 2011 -- India and Thailand held discussions on bilateral, regional and multilateral issues to enhance cooperation in security issues and upgrade bilateral dialogue on defense matters.
- Address threats to UN peace keeping missions: Indian Army Chief IRNA 06 Apr 2011 -- Observing that UN peacekeeping operations were becoming 'more complex' due to threats posed by non-state actors in conflict zones, Indian Army Chief Gen V K Singh Wednesday said, adding that this problem should be addressed 'much more seriously'.
- Indian political party wants Govt to stop all new nuclear reactor projects IRNA 06 Apr 2011 -- The Communisty Party of India (Marxist) (CPI-M) on Wednesday asked the Centre to stop all new nuclear projects immediately and order an independent review of the safety of existing ones in wake of the nuclear crisis in tsunami-hit Japan.
- India, Pakistan Defence Secretary-level talks by April-end IRNA 05 Apr 2011 -- India and Pakistan are likely to resume Defence Secretary-level talks by month-end where they will discuss several issues including demilitarization of the world's highest battlefield - Siachen Glacier, and Sir Creek.
- New method to recover low-grade uranium from Tummalapalle ore IRNA 01 Apr 2011 -- The Bhabha Atomic Research Centre of India has developed an innovative techno-economically viable process.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list