Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
March 2011 - India Special Weapons News
- Pak-India dialogue resumption raises peace hopes IRNA 30 Mar 2011 -- Pakistan and India have resumed the stalled official dialogue and even the Prime Ministers of two countries sit together to watch cricket match in the Indian city of Mohali.
- Indian, Pakistani Leaders Practice 'Cricket Diplomacy' RFE/RL 30 Mar 2011 -- Cricket diplomacy took center stage in India with the prime ministers of both India and Pakistan attending the World Cup cricket semifinal.
- Indian, Pakistani Leaders Attend Cricket Showdown VOA 30 Mar 2011 -- Life for more than a billion people across India and Pakistan came to a standstill Wednesday, as the nuclear-armed neighbors battled on the cricket field for the World Cup semi-final match.
- Nuclear plants' safety 'vitally important' after Japan crisis IRNA 30 Mar 2011 -- India’s Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh said that safety of nuclear plants is 'vitally important'.
- Mumbai Terror Probe Inches Forward After India-Pak Talks VOA 29 Mar 2011 -- Pakistan has agreed to host an Indian delegation probing the 2008 Mumbai terror attacks.
- India, Pakistan reiterate commitment to fight terrorism in all forms IRNA 29 Mar 2011 -- India and Pakistan on Tuesday reiterated commitment to fight terrorism in all forms.
- Chinese presence in Kashmir, a serious challenge IRNA 28 Mar 2011 -- A top Indian army commander has termed the Sino-Pakistani cooperation in the northern areas of Kashmir a ‘serious situation’ for India.
- India, Pakistan Home Secretary-level talks 'positive' IRNA 28 Mar 2011 -- Home Secretaries of India and Pakistan held talks for over five hours today termed by both sides as 'extremely positive' and moving in the 'right direction'.
- Pakistani Delegation To Meet With Indian Counterparts In New Delhi RFE/RL 28 Mar 2011 -- High-ranking Indian and Pakistani officials have begun their first formal peace talks since the 2008 Mumbai terrorist attacks.
- India, Pakistan Begin Peace Talks VOA 28 Mar 2011 -- India and Pakistan have held their first formal peace talks since the 2008 terror attacks in India’s financial hub, Mumbai.
- Indian army fears impact of Afghan turbulence in Kashmir IRNA 18 Mar 2011 -- Noting that turbulence in Afghanistan and Pakistan will have an impact on the situation in Kashmir, Indian Army said 700 militants were waiting at various launch pads to infiltrate into the strife torn state.
- Indian forces remove more bunkers from Kashmir capital IRNA 18 Mar 2011 -- The government removed twelve more paramilitary bunkers from the summer capital, most of them in congested old Srinagar.
- India's Prime Minister Denies Allegations of Vote-Buying VOA 18 Mar 2011 -- Indian PM Singh told parliament that his government was not involved in paying bribes to lawmakers.
- India to Press Ahead With Plans to Generate More Nuclear Energy VOA 18 Mar 2011 -- The nuclear crisis in Japan has re-ignited a debate in India over nuclear energy.
- India Opposition Calling for Government's Resignation VOA 17 Mar 2011 -- India’s opposition parties have called for the government’s resignation following a WikiLeaks cable.
- India: No revision in "no-first-use nuclear doctrine" IRNA 16 Mar 2011 -- The Government of India made it clear that there will be no revision of the country's no-first-use nuclear doctrine.
- India: Atomic plants continue to remain terror targets IRNA 16 Mar 2011 -- The Government of India said atomic power plants in the country are under threat from various terrorist groups.
- Russia to lease nuclear submarine to India before October RIA Novosti 16 Mar 2011 -- Russia will lease a nuclear powered submarine to India before October.
- India favours multilateral cooperation against Somali pirates IRNA 16 Mar 2011 -- The Government of India has favoured 'multilateral cooperation' against Somali pirates under a UN framework.
- India asked to seek army officer's extradition from US IRNA 16 Mar 2011 -- An international human rights watchdog has asked New Delhi to seek extradition from US of an Indian army officer accused of murder in Kashmir.
- India tops global arms importers list RIA Novosti 14 Mar 2011 -- India occupies the first place on the list of the world's largest importers of weaponry in the past five years.
- India's nuclear plants are safe: officials IRNA 14 Mar 2011 -- Nuclear plants in India are safe but a safety review would be carried out in light of the recent strong earthquake in Japan.
- India test fires Ship-based Dhanush missile IRNA 11 Mar 2011 -- India on Friday test fired its nuclear-capable ballistic missile 'Dhanush', with a range of 350 kms, from a naval ship at Balasore off the Orissa coast, defence sources said.
- After "Dhanush" India successfully tests fire Prithvi-II missile IRNA 11 Mar 2011 -- Indigenously developed, nuclear-capable ballistic missile, Prithvi-II, was on Friday test-fired from the Integrated Test Range (ITR) at Chandipur, about 15 km from Balasore off Orissa coast, in less than an hour of flight testing of 'Dhanush' from a naval ship.
- 2,600 died in past three years in Naxal violence in India IRNA 08 Mar 2011 -- Over 2,600 civilians and security force personnel were killed between 2008 and 2010 in several incidents of naxal violence across India.
- India successfully test-fires indigenous interceptor missile IRNA 06 Mar 2011 -- India successfully test-fired indigenously developed interceptor missile, capable of destroying any incoming hostile ballistic missile, Sunday from Integrated Test Range (ITR) at Wheeler Island off Orissa coast.
- India successfully test-fires ballistic missile interceptor RIA Novosti 06 Mar 2011 -- India has successfully test-fired its domestically developed interceptor missile capable of destroying hostile missiles, the Indian news agency IANS reported on Sunday, referring to official sources.
- China seeks to 'advance' boundary negotiations with India IRNA 04 Mar 2011 -- China proposed to 'advance' the negotiation process with India on resolving the boundary issue in view of the prevailing 'good atmosphere'.
- Pakistan agrees with Indian PM on dialogue IRNA 02 Mar 2011 -- Pakistan hopes proposed talks with India will lead to a'meaningful and sustained process of engagement' that will bridge the trust deficit.
- IAF's initiative to safeguard Northeast skies and borders IRNA 01 Mar 2011 -- A front-line Sukhoi combat jet of the Indian Air Force was formally inducted in the sensitive northeastern region.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list