Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
February 2011 - India Special Weapons News
- India's defence expenditure rises up by Rs 17,071 IRNA 28 Feb 2011 -- India's Defence expenditure for the next year rose up at Rs 1,64,415 from Rs 1,457,344.
- India plans to increase defense spending by 11 percent next year RIA Novosti 28 Feb 2011 -- Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee: India is planning to increase its defense budget by 11 percent in the next fiscal year.
- Dialogue Key to Peace with Pakistan, Says India VOA 24 Feb 2011 -- As India and Pakistan get ready to restart peace talks after more than two years, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh says dialogue is the only way to resolve their differences. The embattled Indian leader is also vowing to tackle inflation and punish those guilty of corruption -- two issues which have put his government on the ropes at home.
- Indian Navy deploys surveillance aircraft in Seychelles IRNA 24 Feb 2011 -- Indian Navy has deployed a Dornier maritime surveillance aircraft in the Seychelles for carrying out anti-piracy operations in the Indian Ocean Region.
- Indian High Court upholds Kasab's death penalty IRNA 22 Feb 2011 -- The Bombay High Court of India confirmed the death penalty to 26/11 terrorist Ajmal Kasab, lone terrorist arrested during the Mumbai attack, terming the case as rarest of rare and holding there was 'no scope of reform' of the convict.
- Pakistan rejects Indian concern over nukes IRNA 21 Feb 2011 -- Pakistan has rejected concerns by Indian National Security advisor about the security of Pakistan nuclear weapons and said Pakistan is a responsible nuclear state and it has a credible and strong nuclear command system.
- India rejects US offer of MH-60 'Romeo' IRNA 18 Feb 2011 -- India has turned down an American offer to supply 16 multirole helicopters through the Foreign Military Sales route for its Navy and decided to go for open competitive bidding for the multi-billion dollar deal.
- India removing more security bunkers from Srinagar city IRNA 18 Feb 2011 -- Indian forces are removing 12 more security bunkers from the city of Srinagar following request from the chief minister Omar Abdullah.
- 136 Indian fishermen released by Sri Lanka IRNA 18 Feb 2011 -- Sri Lanka released all 136 Indian fishermen who were apprehended for allegedly poaching in this country's waters.
- Four Lankan fishermen arrested IRNA 18 Feb 2011 -- Four Sri Lankan fishermen were arrested by the Indian Navy off Rameswaram coastal town in Tamil Nadu state and their mechanised boat seized for reportedly crossing into the Indian territorial waters.
- Modernisation of Chinese armed forces a matter of concern IRNA 17 Feb 2011 -- Defense Minister A. K. Antony said India needs to carry out a 'comprehensive review' of its defence preparedness and 'remain vigilant' to meet its security challenges.
- India desires peaceful relations with all its neighbours: Antony IRNA 17 Feb 2011 -- Defense Minister, A K Antony: India has always desired peaceful relations with all its neighbours including Nepal, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and Myanmar.
- India to deploy aircraft for anti-piracy in Seychelles IRNA 17 Feb 2011 -- India will soon deploy a maritime surveillance aircraft in the Seychelles to carry out reconnaissance over its waters and areas of Gulf of Aden.
- India conveys "deep concern" to Sri Lanka over fishermen detention IRNA 17 Feb 2011 -- India conveyed its 'deep concern' over the detention of 136 Indian fishermen in Jaffna.
- Sri Lanka apprehends 24 more Indian fishermen IRNA 17 Feb 2011 -- Sri Lankan Police has detained another 24 Indian fishermen, taking to 136 the total number of Tamil Nadu fishermen in their custody in the past two days.
- Indian Army 'alert' to situation on borders with Pakistan, China IRNA 15 Feb 2011 -- The Army has taken elaborate measures to safeguard the borders with China and Pakistan and does not see any reason for worry.
- Will Russia's MiG abandon the Indian race? RIA Novosti 15 Feb 2011 -- The Indian tender for 126 MMRCAs (medium multi-role combat aircraft) to replace its ageing MiG-21s was announced long ago.
- Eurofighter consortium seeks India as a new industrial partner for production and further developments EADS 10 Feb 2011 -- The Eurofighter Partner Companies are keen to win India as a new industrial partner for the production and further development of the world’s most advanced swing-role combat aircraft.
- Pakistan, India agree to resume formal peace talks IRNA 10 Feb 2011 -- Pakistan and India have agreed to resume formal peace talks for the first time since the Mumbai attacks in 2008, the Foreign Ministry said Thursday.
- Russian-Indian joint development of 5G fighter jet to cost $6 billion - HAL RIA Novosti 10 Feb 2011 -- The Russian-Indian joint development of a fifth generation fighter jet will cost some $6 billion, Hindustan Aeronautics Ltd. (HAL) Financial director D. Shivamurti said
- Pakistan, India Agree to Restart Peace Talks VOA 10 Feb 2011 -- Pakistan and India have agreed to resume their wide-ranging peace dialogue that New Delhi suspended shortly after the 2008 terror attacks in Mumbai.
- HAL and GE Aviation Sign Contract for Hawk Aircraft Components GE Aviation 09 Feb 2011 -- GE Aviation and India's premium public sector Aerospace Company Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) have signed 30-year contract that covers license to carry out repairs and overhaul of various avionics, instruments and hydraulic products for the Hawk Mk132 aircraft, an Advanced Jet Trainer operated by the Indian Air Force.
- Russia may deliver first upgraded MiG to India in 2011 RIA Novosti 09 Feb 2011 -- Russia could deliver the first modernized MiG-29 fighter jet to India as early as in 2011, the head of the United Aircraft Corporation (UAC) said on Wednesday.
- BrahMos secures $ 4 billion order to deliver cruise missiles IRNA 08 Feb 2011 -- Indo-Russian joint venture BrahMos Aerospace has secured orders from the Armed Forces to deliver supersonic cruise missiles, valued at USD four billion, a top company official said Tuesday.
- India, Pak to discuss outstanding issues over next few months IRNA 08 Feb 2011 -- India and Pakistan will have a series of interactions to discuss outstanding issues like Jammu and Kashmir, terrorism and Siachen over the next few months before Foreign Minister Shah Mahmood Qureshi visits New Delhi in the middle of this year.
- Indian Air Force Celebrates Induction Of First C-130J Super Hercules Lockheed Martin 07 Feb 2011 -- The Indian Air Force (IAF) celebrated the induction to service of its first Lockheed Martin [NYSE:LMT] C-130J Super Hercules at Hindon Air Force Station, India, on Feb. 5.
- Russia tests upgraded MiG fighter jet for India RIA Novosti 04 Feb 2011 -- Russia's MiG corporation carried out the first test fight of a MiG-29 fighter modernized under a contract with the Indian Air Force.
- IAF MiG-21 crashes, pilot ejects safely IRNA 04 Feb 2011 -- An Indian Air Force MiG-21 'Bison' fighter aircraft crashed apparently due to an engine problem while on a routine sortie in Madhya Pradesh's Sheopur district.
- Human Rights Watch Urges India to Prevent Abuses VOA 02 Feb 2011 -- Human Rights Watch has urged India to prevent human rights abuses which it says occur during counterterrorism efforts.
- Russia's contender for Indian fighter deal to stay grounded at Aero India RIA Novosti 02 Feb 2011 -- Russia's MiG-35 will not fly in the Aero India 2011 air show in Bangalore later this month.
- 2 Indian Army officers killed in chopper crash IRNA 02 Feb 2011 -- A Chetak helicopter of the Indian Army crashed in a residential area in Nashik, in Maharashtra state, killing two officers.
- India lodges strong protest with US over unacceptable comment IRNA 02 Feb 2011 -- Indian Government lodged a strong protest with the US Embassy in New Delhi over certain 'unacceptable' comments.
- Indian Army says Kashmir a political issue IRNA 01 Feb 2011 -- Indian Army said that Kashmir is a political issue.
- Indian Naval Warship "INS Vindhyagiri" sinks IRNA 01 Feb 2011 -- In the worst ever peacetime loss for the Indian Navy, the heavily armed frigate INS Vindhyagiri went down in the Mumbai harbour.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list