Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
March 2010 - India Special Weapons News
- 3 Indian Army personnel lost their lives in gun battle in Kashmir IRNA 31 Mar 2010 -- Four Lashker-e-Toiba (LeT) militants were killed and three army personnel also lost their lives in a two-day fierce gun battle in Rajouri district of Jammu and Kashmir that ended Wednesday.
- India plans to launch 10 satellites annually - space chief RIA Novosti 31 Mar 2010 -- India is planning to launch an average of 10 satellites per year to meet the demand for various space applications, an Indian news agency said citing a top space official.
- Trial Concludes of Pakistani Gunman Captured In Mumbai Terror Attacks VOA 31 Mar 2010 -- The trial of the lone Pakistani gunman captured in connection with the 2008 terror attacks in Mumbai has concluded.
- India says US military aid to Pakistan is matter of concern IRNA 30 Mar 2010 -- India’s Air Chief Marshal P V Naik Tuesday said that the US military aid to Pakistan is a matter of concern for India which has been conveyed to the Obama administration.
- US, India Reach Reprocessing Agreement as Part of Civil Nuclear Deal VOA 29 Mar 2010 -- The U.S. State Department says negotiations have been "finalized" with India on the procedures for the reprocessing of spent atomic fuel - one of the last unsettled elements of the landmark 2008 civil nuclear energy deal between the two countries.
- India successfully test fires Agni-1 missile IRNA 28 Mar 2010 -- India on Sunday successfully test-fired nuclear-capable, short range ballistic missile (SRBM) Agni-1 from the Integrated Test Range (ITR) at Wheeler Island, about 100 km from Balasore off the Orissa coast.
- Experts: Iran's Foreign Policy Undermines Economy RFE/RL 28 Mar 2010 -- Experts on Iran's economy say that its foreign policy is undermining its domestic economic health, RFE/RL's Radio Farda reports.
- India test fires nuke capable Prithvi-II and Dhanush missiles IRNA 27 Mar 2010 -- India successfully test fired two nuclear-capable medium-range ballistic missiles Prithvi-II and Dhanush in quick succession early Saturday from different locations off the Orissa coast, adding more firepower to the armed forces.
- India successfully tests fires two nuclear capable ballistic missiles RIA Novosti 27 Mar 2010 -- India has successfully test-fired two short-range nuclear-capable missiles off the coast of the Orissa state on Saturday, the IANS news agency reported, quoting military officials.
- India test-fires Vertical-launch version of BrahMos Cruise Missile IRNA 21 Mar 2010 -- The vertical-launch version of supersonic BrahMos cruise missile has been successfully test-fired by the Indian Navy from a warship in the Bay of Bengal off the coast of Orissa on Sunday.
- India successfully test fires BrahMos anti-ship cruise missile RIA Novosti 21 Mar 2010 -- The Indian Navy has successfully test-fired the BrahMos supersonic anti-ship cruise missile, the Indian-Russian joint venture BrahMos Aerospace said on Sunday.
- US Promises India 'Full Access' to Mumbai Attack Planner VOA 20 Mar 2010 -- The United States says it will allow India to question an American citizen who has admitted helping plan the 2008 Mumbai terror attack. But U.S. officials say he can not be extradited on the existing charges.
- India Seeks Extradition of US Suspect In Mumbai Terror Attack VOA 19 Mar 2010 -- India is seeking to extradite a U.S. citizen who has pleaded guilty to helping plan the 2008 terror attacks in Mumbai. The Indian government wants to question him about the attacks, which killed 166 people, including six Americans.
- India to get Russian nuclear submarine for 10-year lease - paper RIA Novosti 17 Mar 2010 -- Russia has confirmed its readiness to transfer its Nerpa nuclear-powered attack submarine for a 10 year-lease to India, The Times of India reported on Wednesday citing defense ministry sources.
- Firing near India’s key ISRO facility IRNA 16 Mar 2010 -- Two persons moving around in a suspicious manner near a key Indian Space Research Organization facility on the outskirts of the Bangalore city fired at security personnel in the wee hours Tuesday after which the guards retaliated but the duo escaped.
- 4 Indian Army personnel killed in Pokhran firing range blast IRNA 15 Mar 2010 -- Four Indian Army personnel were killed in a blast at a firing range in Pokhran in Rajasthan state.
- India’s AAD Interceptor missile fails to take off IRNA 15 Mar 2010 -- India’s new Advanced Air Defence interceptor missile, capable of destroying hostile missiles, Monday encountered coordination problem and failed to take off during a planned launch from the Integrated Test Range at Wheeler Island off the Orissa coast.
- India's new interceptor missile fails test RIA Novosti 15 Mar 2010 -- India's new Advanced Air Defense (AAD) interceptor missile, capable of destroying hostile missiles, failed to launch on Monday during a planned test at a firing range off Orissa coast, Indian media reported.
- India Defers Introduction of Civil Nuclear Liability Bill VOA 15 Mar 2010 -- The Indian government has deferred the introduction of a bill considered crucial for American companies to tap into India's nuclear power market. The legislation seeks to limit the liabilities of companies establishing nuclear power plants in India, but has been slammed by opposition parties.
- India, Pakistan trade barbs, accusing each other over terrorism IRNA 12 Mar 2010 -- India and Pakistan on Friday traded barbs, accusing each other of supporting terrorism.
- Russia keen to help India in N-energy sector: Putin IRNA 12 Mar 2010 -- Assuring India of support in the nuclear energy sector through building of reactors and supply of fuel, Russian Federation Prime Minister Vladimir Putin today said India had expressed keenness in his country's help for disposal of nuclear waste too.
- Russia, India Boost Ties On Nuclear Energy, Space, Defense RFE/RL 12 Mar 2010 -- Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin oversaw the signing of five pacts with India after meeting in New Delhi with Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Indian President Pratibha Devisingh Patil.
- Russia and India sign major military, nuclear deals RIA Novosti 12 Mar 2010 -- Russia and India signed on Friday a host of high-profile deals during Prime Minister Vladimir Putin's working visit to the country.
- India could offer new NPP construction site to Russia RIA Novosti 12 Mar 2010 -- India could provide Russia a third site for the construction of new nuclear power plants, Russia's nuclear chief said Friday.
- Russia signs $1.5-bln fighter jet contract with India RIA Novosti 12 Mar 2010 -- Russia and India have signed a $1.5-billion contract on the supplies of 29 more MiG-29K carrier-based fighter jets to New Delhi, the head of the Russian Aircraft Corporation MiG said on Friday.
- India, Russia Sign Energy, Defense Deals worth Billions of Dollars VOA 12 Mar 2010 -- A short visit to India by Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin has allowed New Delhi and Moscow to strengthen their strategic partnership, which has had its ups and downs since the end of the Cold War era.
- Putin Visiting India For Defense, Nuclear Deals RFE/RL 11 Mar 2010 -- Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin is due in India today.
- Russian Prime Minister Making Brief, Important Visit to India VOA 11 Mar 2010 -- Russia Prime Minister Vladimir Putin is expected to discuss several bilateral issues during a brief visit to India.
- India allocates $2.3 bln for Admiral Gorshkov aircraft carrier upgrade RIA Novosti 11 Mar 2010 -- The Indian government's security committee has approved the allocation of $2.3 billion to retrofit the Admiral Gorshkov aircraft carrier (INS Vikramaditya), the IANS news agency reported Thursday.
- Russia-India military transport plane could be ready by 2018 RIA Novosti 11 Mar 2010 -- A new Russian-Indian military transport plane could make its maiden flight by 2018, the head of the Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) said.
- India, Russia agree details of joint 5G-fighter project RIA Novosti 11 Mar 2010 -- India and Russia have agreed in general on shared responsibility for the joint development of the fifth-generation fighter, the chairman of the Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) said.
- Indian nuclear energy chief: Russia has an advantage: it has a reactor, others can only show papers RIA Novosti 10 Mar 2010
- India, Russia could clinch deal on new nuclear power units in April RIA Novosti 10 Mar 2010 -- Russia and India are close to signing a contract on the construction of the third and fourth power units at the Kudankulam nuclear power plant, Indian atomic industry officials said Wednesday.
- India may join Russia in establishing Angarsk nuclear fuel bank RIA Novosti 10 Mar 2010 -- India may join Russia's nuclear center of a low-enriched uranium (LEU) reserves project in Angarsk, the chairman of India's Atomic Energy Research Commission said.
- Russia, India to sign $4 billion military technical cooperation contracts RIA Novosti 04 Mar 2010 -- Russia and India are expected to sign three contracts in military technical cooperation totaling $4 billion, including retrofitting the Admiral Gorshkov aircraft carrier during Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin's visit to India, Vedomosti Russian daily reported.
- Indian navy aircraft “Kiran MK-II” crashes, pilot dead IRNA 03 Mar 2010 -- An aircraft of Indian naval aerobatic team crashed Wednesday during an airshow in Hyderabad, the pilot was killed and four others were injured on the ground.
- Hyderabad Air Show Crash Kills 2 India Navy Pilots VOA 03 Mar 2010 -- Two elite Indian Navy pilots died when their aerobatic jet crashed in Hyderabad during the inauguration of a high-profile civil air show.
- Russia, India to develop joint 5G-fighter by 2016 RIA Novosti 02 Mar 2010 -- A Russian-Indian fifth-generation fighter jet could be developed by 2015-2016, a Russian defense industry official said on Tuesday.
- India set to buy 42 more Russian Su-30 fighter jets RIA Novosti 02 Mar 2010 -- India and Russia are negotiating a new contract on the delivery of 42 Su-30MKI to the Indian Air Force, an Indian newspaper reported on Tuesday, citing military sources.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list