Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
October 2008 - India Special Weapons News
- Indian Police Search for Evidence in Assam Blasts VOA 31 Oct 2008 -- Indian police examing evidence to determine who was behind bombings that killed at least 77 people in the northeastern state of Assam.
- Death toll rises to 71 in serial bombings in Assam IRNA 31 Oct 2008 -- The death toll in the serial bombings in Assam rose to 71 even as a dozen suspects were picked up for interrogation.
- Death Toll in India Bombings Reaches 71 VOA 31 Oct 2008 -- Indian officials say the death toll from a series of coordinated explosions in the northeastern part of the country has risen to at least 71 people.
- Backgrounder: Counterterrorism in India cfr.org 30 Oct 2008
- Death toll reaches to 50 in Assam's serial blasts IRNA 30 Oct 2008 -- Terrorist blasts rocked the state of Assam killing at least 54 people and 300 injured as authorities clamped an indefinite curfew.
- Series of blasts in India kill at least 56 people RIA Novosti 30 Oct 2008 -- At least 56 people were killed and over 300 woundedin a series of 13 bomb blasts that ripped through India's state of Assam,.
- Serial Bomb Blasts Rock India's Assam State VOA 30 Oct 2008 -- Serial bomb blasts have rocked the Indian state, Assam, with most of the explosions taking place in crowded markets.
- Indian Troops in Kashmir to Block Anniversary Protests VOA 27 Oct 2008 -- India has deployed thousands of troops to its part of Kashmir to stop protests on the 61st anniversary of Indian rule.
- Police, Protesters Clash in Indian-Kashmir VOA 26 Oct 2008 -- At least one person was killed and several others wounded Sunday when police and demonstrators clashed in Indian-controlled Kashmir.
- Russia's top security official discusses cooperation with India RIA Novosti 23 Oct 2008 -- Russia's Security Council chief, Nikolai Patrushev, said in New Delhi that Russia is India's most important strategic partner.
- Backgrounder: India-Afghanistan Relations cfr.org 23 Oct 2008
- India to launch next lunar probe in 2010 with Russian help RIA Novosti 22 Oct 2008 -- The Indian Space Research Organization said it could launch second lunar probe in 2010 with Russian participation.
- India launches first lunar probe RIA Novosti 22 Oct 2008 -- India launched its first unmanned mission to the moon on Wednesday, becoming the third Asian country to do so after Japan and China.
- India Launches First Unmanned Mission to Moon VOA 22 Oct 2008 -- Mission a major boost to the country's space program, as India joins Asian nations China and Japan in exploring the Moon.
- 17 killed in a massive bomb explosion in Manipur IRNA 22 Oct 2008 -- At least 17 people were killed in a massive bomb explosion in Imphal, Manipur's capital.
- India's first moon mission 'Chandrayaan-I' to leave earth Wednesday: Report IRNA 21 Oct 2008 -- 'Chandrayaan-I', India's first moon mission is ready to leave earth on board PSLV-C11 on Wednesday.
- Russia has over $5 bln in foreign naval orders RIA Novosti 21 Oct 2008 -- Foreign orders for Russian naval hardware for the next three years exceed $5 billion.
- Russia plans to sell $8 bln worth of weaponry in 2008 RIA Novosti 21 Oct 2008 -- Russia is expecting to increase its arms exports to $8 billion in 2008.
- Somali Pirates Hijack Indian Ship VOA 21 Oct 2008 -- Pirates have hijacked another ship near Somalia, this one an Indian ship with 13 crew members aboard.
- India, Russia discuss bilateral cooperation in field of N-energy IRNA 20 Oct 2008 -- India and Russia on discussed prospect of advancing cooperation in the field of nuclear energy.
- Ban unveils senior peacekeeping appointments UN News 17 Oct 2008 -- Sec-General Ban announced plans to reassign key military posts involving UN peacekeeping ops in Liberia and in India-Pakistan.
- US Army Chief to visit Kashmir Friday IRNA 17 Oct 2008 -- As tensions heighten on the Pakistan-Afghan border, India is cozying upto the US in Kashmir, another tense theater in the region.
- India, US army chiefs discuss regional security situation IRNA 17 Oct 2008 -- The Army Chiefs of India and US held extensive discussions over regional security situation.
- Sri Lanka to keep in mind Indian PM's observations while dealing with the situation IRNA 17 Oct 2008 -- Sri Lanka has made it clear that it will keep in mind India's observations while dealing with the situation.
- Analysis: India Reels Under Terrorism cfr.org 14 Oct 2008 -- The Indian state is no stranger to terrorism. According to the latest report on global terrorism by the U.S. government's National Counterterrorism Center, more than one thousand people died in India because of terrorist attacks in 2007, ranking the country fourth behind only Iraq, Afghanistan, and Pakistan
- India raises ceasefire violations, Kabul attack at talks with Pakistan IRNA 13 Oct 2008 -- India conveyed concern to Pakistan over border ceasefire violations and attack Kabul embassy, for which ISI has been blamed.
- Indian Prime Minister Calls for Tough Steps to Stem Growing Violence VOA 13 Oct 2008 -- Indian PM Singh: Calling for tough action to stem a surge of terrorist and communal violence in recent months.
- US, India Sign Civilian Nuclear Accord VOA 10 Oct 2008 -- The US and India Friday an accord allowing US firms to sell nuclear fuel and technology to India, reversing a 3 decade ban on such trade.
- 2 killed in police firing in protest against PM's Kashmir visit IRNA 10 Oct 2008 -- Protesters took to streets as Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh landed here on a two-day visit.
- Bush Signs India Nuclear Trade Bill VOA 8 Oct 2008 -- President Bush signed legislation that paves the way for civilian nuclear trade between the United States and India.
- 49 people die in Assam violence IRNA 8 Oct 2008 -- The death toll in ethnic clashes in India's state of Assam have mounted to 49 with authorities claiming the situation was limping back to normal.
- India lifts curfew in violence-hit Kashmir RIA Novosti 7 Oct 2008 -- Indian authorities lifted a curfew that imposed on Sunday in the troubled Himalayan region to prevent a pro-independence rally.
- Death toll in weekend ethnic clashes in Assam mounts to 40 IRNA 6 Oct 2008 -- The death toll in weekend ethnic clashes in Assam have mounted to 40 with authorities claiming the situation was limping back to normal.
- US-India nuclear deal violates NPT IRNA 5 Oct 2008 -- Deputy head of Iran's Atomic Energy Organization Mohammad Saeedi expressed concern about US-India nuclear deal saying it violated the NPT.
- Rice: US-India Nuclear Deal to be Signed Soon VOA 4 Oct 2008 -- US Secretary of State Rice, on a visit to India, says a landmark civil nuclear agreement between the United States and India will be concluded soon.
- Death toll rises to 16 in Assam communal violence IRNA 4 Oct 2008 -- Police recovered 9 more bodies overnight in the violence torn India's northeastern state of Assam, taking the toll in 3 days of clashes to 16.
- 7 killed, 50 wounded in clashes between two communities in Assam IRNA 4 Oct 2008 -- Indian authorities issued shoot-on-sight orders and imposed an indefinite curfew in Assam where 7 people were killed.
- India retains right to conduct "nuclear test" IRNA 3 Oct 2008 -- India: Country still retains the right to conduct a nuclear test, while others have a right to react to such an incident.
- US Secretary of State expected in New Delhi on Saturday IRNA 3 Oct 2008 -- Secretary of State Rice slated to arrive on Friday, has rescheduled her visit and is now expected on Saturday.
- US Secretary of State Visits India to Discuss Nuclear Accord VOA 3 Oct 2008 -- Secretary of State Rice arriving in India to discuss the US-India civilian nuclear agreement.
- Russia's UAC may join India in development of BrahMos-2 missile RIA Novosti 3 Oct 2008
- Russia's UAC optimistic over Indian fighter tender RIA Novosti 3 Oct 2008 -- Russia's United Aircraft Corporation optimistic about chances of winning tender to supply multirole fighters to India.
- Rice Heads to India Following Nuclear Accord Vote VOA 2 Oct 2008 -- US Secretary of State Rice travels to India for talks on the US-India civilian nuclear agreement given final congressional approval by the US Senate.
- U.S. Senate endorses deal on nuclear trade with India RIA Novosti 2 Oct 2008 -- US senators have approved a nuclear agreement with India that essentially lifts a 30-year ban on the sale of civilian nuclear materials.
- US Senate Approves US-India Nuclear Accord VOA 1 Oct 2008 -- The US Senate approved a landmark agreement to end a 34-year ban on US civilian nuclear trade with India.
- US Senate to Vote on US-India Nuclear Pact VOA 1 Oct 2008 -- The US Senate has agreed to vote on a landmark nuclear agreement that would overturn a 34-year ban on nuclear trade with India.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list