Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
June 2008 - India Special Weapons News
- India clinches first foreign deal with Ecuador to sell copter IRNA 26 Jun 2008 -- India has made aviation history by concluding a $51 million deal with the South American Republic of Ecuador for the sale of seven 'Dhruv' Advanced Light Helicopters (ALH).
- France asks India to expedite Indo-US nuclear deal IRNA 26 Jun 2008 -- Asking India to expedite the India-US nuclear deal, France Thursday said the deal is not just a bilateral treaty but a package deal which will open new industrial avenues with other nations.
- Russia completes nuclear fuel shipments to Indian NPP RIA Novosti 26 Jun 2008 -- Russia has completed the shipments of nuclear fuel for the first unit of India's Kudankulam nuclear power plant, a source in the Indian nuclear power sector said on Thursday.
- Pakistan, India to share information to prevent terrorist acts IRNA 25 Jun 2008 -- Pakistan and Indian anti-terror experts on Tuesday agreed to assist in investigations through exchange of specific information and for preventing violence and terrorist acts, officials said.
- Pakistan, India open anti-terror talks IRNA 24 Jun 2008 -- Senior officials from Pakistan and India opened talks here on Tuesday to review joint mechanism against terrorism, the Foreign Ministry said.
- Indian scientists against going ahead with IAEA pact, N-deal IRNA 24 Jun 2008 -- Ahead of the crucial meeting between the ruling United Progressive Alliance (UPA) and its communist allies over the India-US nuclear deal, top nuclear scientists Tuesday asked the government not to go ahead with the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) agreement before more debate on it.
- Australia refuses to budge on uranium exports to India RIA Novosti 23 Jun 2008 -- Australia will not lift its ban on uranium exports to India until New Delhi signs the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty, Indian media reported Monday.
- India successfully flight tested UAV IRNA 21 Jun 2008 -- Nishant, the Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) developed by Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO) for Indian Army was successfully flight tested near Kolar in Karnataka, Friday.
- India, Russia develop airborne supersonic cruise missile RIA Novosti 20 Jun 2008 -- The Russian-Indian BrahMos Aerospace joint venture has finished the development of the airborne version of an advanced supersonic missile, the company's managing director has said.
- Key Meeting on US-India Nuclear Deal Postponed VOA 18 Jun 2008 -- The future of India's proposed nuclear deal with the United States remains uncertain, with the postponement of a key meeting between India's government and its communist allies.
- Russia starts building new missile frigate for Indian Navy RIA Novosti 11 Jun 2008 -- The Yantar Shipyard in Russia's Baltic exclave of Kaliningrad will start on Wednesday the construction of the third Project 11356 frigate for the Indian Navy under a second contract, the company said.
- Prime Minister strongly advocates Indo-US nuclear deal IRNA 11 Jun 2008 -- Strongly advocating the Indo-US nuclear deal, India's Prime Minister, Dr. Manmohan Singh Wednesday said that the agreement is crucial for ending nuclear apartheid against India.
- India to boost military spending by 50% RIA Novosti 11 Jun 2008 -- India is planning to raise its military budget by 50% to almost $40 billion, making military expenditure 3% of the annual gross domestic product (GDP), the defense minister said.
- India to set up space cell to counter threats to space-based assets IRNA 10 Jun 2008 -- Defense Minister A K Antony Tuesday said while addressing the Unified Commanders' Conference in New Delhi that India will soon set up an Integrated Space Cell to counter growing threats to the country's space-based assets.
- India, Egypt to enhance defense cooperation IRNA 10 Jun 2008 -- A six-member Egyptian defense delegation led by Maj Gen Mohamed Mohsen Saad El Shazly, deputy chief of Operation Authority of the Egyptian Armed Forces, called on the Minister of State for Defense Dr. M M Pallam Raju here Tuesday.
- India advocates need for measures to avert nuclear wars IRNA 10 Jun 2008 -- Advocating the need for measures to avert nuclear wars, India's External Affairs Minister, said the pursuit of clandestine activity in respect of nuclear technology is unacceptable.
- India Prime Minister Pitches Global Nuclear Disarmament VOA 09 Jun 2008 -- India's prime minister wants his country to be at the forefront of the effort to achieve global nuclear disarmament
- India fully committed to nuclear disarmament: PM IRNA 09 Jun 2008 -- Reiterating that India has no intention to engage in an arms race with anyone, Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh Monday said that India is fully committed to nuclear disarmament that is global, universal and non-discriminatory in nature.
- Russia to test aircraft carrier for India's navy in 2011 RIA Novosti 03 Jun 2008 -- The Russian Sevmash shipyard said on Tuesday it planned to test an aircraft carrier currently being modernized for the Indian navy in 2011.
- Russia delivers three shipments of nuclear fuel to Indian NPP RIA Novosti 02 Jun 2008 -- Russia has supplied the first three batches of nuclear fuel for India's Kudankulam nuclear power plant, the state nuclear corporation, Atomenergoprom, said on Monday.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list