Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
2018 Germany Special Weapons News
- German troops may leave Afghanistan if US forces withdraw: Report Press TV 28 Dec 2018 -- Former German Defense Chief General Harald Kujat has warned that a probable American military withdrawal from Afghanistan may jeopardize German troops and force them to leave.
- German military plans to recruit foreign nationals: Report Press TV 28 Dec 2018 -- German military authorities are reportedly considering plans to recruit citizens from other European countries to strengthen the armed forces of Germany as they struggle to fill their ranks.
- German Military Looks Into Recruiting EU Citizens Amid Staff Shortage - Reports Sputnik 28 Dec 2018 -- After years of decreasing military spending, the country's forces reportedly have to deal with a lack of personnel and equipment. The Defence Ministry is seeking a way to rectify this by requesting bigger budgets and enticing more people to serve in the military.
- Germany 'strongly opposes deployment of US nukes in Europe' Press TV 27 Dec 2018 -- Germany is strongly opposed to the stationing of American medium-range missiles with nuclear warheads in Europe if the United States scraps a key Cold War-era arms control treaty with Russia, the German top diplomat says.
- Germany to Oppose New Missiles in Europe if US Scraps INF Treaty - Minister Sputnik 26 Dec 2018 -- NATO chief Jens Stoltenberg said last month that the alliance had no plans to deploy new nuclear missiles in Europe. However, the US' looming pull-out of the INF Treaty with Russia has raised concerns that Washington might seek a nuclear build-up in Europe.
- Spain to Join French-German Project to Build European Sixth-Gen Fighter Jet Sputnik 07 Dec 2018 -- Germany and France will have a new partner in their bid to build a European fighter aircraft: Spain will become one of the countries contributing to the high development costs of building a new-generation air combat system, according to a new report.
- Germany still selling arms to Riyadh despite halt triggered by Khashoggi case: Report Press TV 07 Dec 2018 -- Despite a halt earlier announced by Chancellor Angela Merkel in condemnation of the murder of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi, Germany is covertly exporting arms to Saudi Arabia and is even planning to resume overt sales soon, a report said.
- German Arms Supplied to Saudi Arabia Despite Halt Over Khashoggi's Case - Report Sputnik 07 Dec 2018 -- Washington Post journalist Jamal Khashoggi's killing has prompted Germany to freeze arms export to Saudi Arabia, Berlin's second biggest weapons importer, until the case has been "cleared up" and call on other European countries to do the same.
- Christian Democratic Union votes in new leader, replaces Merkel Press TV 07 Dec 2018 -- Germany's Christian Democratic Union party (CDU) has elected Annegret Kramp-Karrenbauer as party leader, ending Chancellor Angela Merkel's 18 years of leadership.
- Germany's Christian Democrats Elect New Leader After Merkel Steps Down Sputnik 07 Dec 2018 -- Earlier, former head of the Cristian Democratic Union (CDU) Angela Merkel announced her resignation as the party's chief amid poor results in the latest regional parliamentary elections.
- Ally of German Chancellor Merkel Elected to Succeed Her as Party Leader VOA 07 Dec 2018 -- A close ally has been elected to succeed German Chancellor Angela Merkel as the leader of the country's center-right Christian Democratic Union.
- German Defence Giant Rheinmetall Continues Sales to Riyadh Despite Ban – Reports Sputnik 04 Dec 2018 -- German arms company Rheinmetall has been selling weapons to Saudi Arabia despite a complete halt in exports ordered by Berlin after the death of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi, ARD reported on Tuesday.
- Germany 'Convinced' by US Claims About Russian Violations of INF Treaty – Report Sputnik 30 Nov 2018 -- Earlier, German Foreign Minister Heiko Maas urged the US "not to recklessly abandon" the Intermediate-Range Nuclear Forces Treaty, a landmark arms control treaty aimed primarily at reducing the risk of nuclear war in Europe.
- Oops! Germany Spying Agency Accidentally Reveals Identity of Covert Informant Sputnik 22 Nov 2018 -- In a catastrophically careless oversight, German intelligence services have accidentally exposed the identity of one of their 'v-men' - an undercover informant - spying on activist groups. It's far from the first embarrassing blunder in the country's espionage history.
- Britain slams Germany, France for proposing EU army Press TV 20 Nov 2018 -- UK Defense Secretary Gavin Williamson has lashed out at leaders of France and Germany for their proposal for creating a European army that could rival the NATO military alliance.
- Germany bans 18 Saudis from entering Schengen zone over Khashoggi killing Press TV 19 Nov 2018 -- Germany has imposed travel bans on 18 Saudi nationals suspected of having links to the murder of dissident journalist Jamal Khashoggi at the kingdom's diplomatic mission in Turkey's Istanbul early last month.
- 18 Saudis Banned From Europe's Schengen Zone VOA 19 Nov 2018 -- Germany's foreign minister said Monday that Berlin will ban 18 Saudi nationals from entering Europe's border-free Schengen zone because of their alleged links to the murder of Saudi journalist Jamal Khashoggi.
- Berlin Bans 18 Saudis From Schengen Zone, Halts Arms Exports Amid Khashoggi Case Sputnik 19 Nov 2018 -- Saudi Arabia recently announced it had charged 11 citizens of being involved in planning and executing the journalist's murder, with 5 of them facing death penalty. Riyadh denies any of the Royal Family was involved in the crime and urged against politicising the case.
- Germany's Chancellor Merkel calls for 'real, true' European army Press TV 14 Nov 2018 -- German Chancellor Angela Merkel has called for a "real and true" European Union military force, echoing earlier remarks by French leader Emmanuel Macron which US President Donald Trump described as "very insulting."
- Merkel Echoes France's Call For Europe To Create Its Own Army RFE/RL 14 Nov 2018 -- German Chancellor Angela Merkel is calling for the eventual creation of a European army, echoing a suggestion by French President Emmanuel Macron that recently angered the U.S. president.
- German shipyard halts production after Saudi arms ban as Riyadh turns to Spain, S Africa Press TV 09 Nov 2018 -- German shipbuilder Luerssen has put on hold the production of coastguard vessels ordered by Saudi Arabia due to the uncertainty surrounding the future of Berlin's arms deals with Riyadh.
- Germany Considers Massive Military Spending Increase Amid Hardware Crisis Sputnik 06 Nov 2018 -- The move came a few months after German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen reportedly requested a 12 billion euro ($14.6 billion) boost to the country's military budget, which currently stands at 39 billion euros ($47.3 billion).
- US Approves Integration of Patriots Into Next-Gen German Air Defense – Reports Sputnik 03 Nov 2018 -- The decision comes on the heels of high-level talks between German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen and US Defense Secretary Jim Mattis this summer, Reuters reported, citing two unnamed sources with knowledge of the matter.
- US approves key step toward German missile defense deal Press TV 02 Nov 2018 -- The US government has allowed Lockheed Martin Corp., a major American weapons manufacturer, to integrate its Patriot PAC-3 Missile Segment Enhancement (MSE) missile into a next-generation German missile defense system, the Pentagon spokesman says.
- Just One Third of Germany's New Weapons Hardware Combat Ready – Defense Ministry Sputnik 31 Oct 2018 -- The German military has been actively lobbying for increased funding amid pressure from Washington to increase NATO defense spending, even as the Federal Republic's military budget is already set to reach over $51 billion in 2019.
- EU Ramps Up Navies to Counter Russia, Germany Takes the Lead – Reports Sputnik 29 Oct 2018 -- The European states have started major naval exercises in the Baltic Sea, with Germany taking a leading role; they are preparing themselves for – you guessed it – the Russian threat.
- German chancellor Angela Merkel not to seek re-election in 2021 Press TV 29 Oct 2018 -- German Chancellor Angela Merkel has announced that she will step down and not seek re-election when her term expires in 2021, ending her 13-year era of dominance in European politics.
- Germany's Merkel To Step Down As Chancellor At End Of Current Term RFE/RL 29 Oct 2018 -- Angela Merkel has told her Christian Democratic Union (CDU) that she will step down as Germany's chancellor at the end of her current term in 2021 and will not seek reelection as a CDU lawmaker.
- Germany's 'Iron Lady' Begins Descent After Coalition's Electoral Setback VOA 29 Oct 2018 -- For the second time in a month, voters in a regional election in Germany have rebuffed Chancellor Angela Merkel's governing coalition, further confirming that the political landscape in the country is transforming rapidly.Merkel has announced she will not seek reelection as chair of her party and said her current term as chancellor will be her last.
- Is Joint German-French Combat Jet Project on Verge of Collapse? Sputnik 28 Oct 2018 -- The joint Future Combat Air System project was intended to replace European countries' ageing warplanes with new EU-made jets. However, Belgium recently decided to switch to the US-made F-35 instead of buying European fighters.
- German Army's Newest Assault Rifles Fail Tests Amid Equipment Shortages – Report Sputnik 14 Oct 2018 -- The leak from the German military has revealed that none of the firearms submitted as possible replacements for the G36 rifle meet the army's standards. This has compounded the German Defense Ministry's existing supply problems.
- UK and German forces test military mobility en route to NATO's biggest exercise in decades NATO 10 Oct 2018 -- UK troops landed at Rotterdam in the Netherlands on Wednesday (10 October 2018) as German tanks boarded a cargo ship on their way to Norway for Exercise Trident Juncture 2018 – NATO's largest since the Cold War.
- Readout of Secretary of Defense James N. Mattis' Meeting with German Minister of Defense Ursula von der Leyen DoD 03 Oct 2018
- Germany breaks Saudi arms ban promise Press TV 21 Sep 2018 -- Germany has approved selling artillery positioning systems to Saudi Arabia, going back on a ban that the European country had ordered on the sale of weapons to the countries involved in the war on Yemen.
- Germany's Intel Chief Dismissed Over Migration Dispute With Merkel - Reports Sputnik 18 Sep 2018 -- Head of the German domestic intelligence agency Hans-Georg Maassen previously faced harsh criticism after he expressed doubts over the authenticity of the footage showing alleged attacks by right-wing activists on migrants in Chemnitz.
- German Spymaster Ousted Over Anti-Migrant Violence VOA 18 Sep 2018 -- The head of Germany's domestic intelligence agency has been transferred from his job just weeks after he made remarks that appeared to downplay anti-migrant violence.
- Germany hints at long-term military presence in Mideast Press TV 16 Sep 2018 -- Germany, a member of the US-led coalition which has been bombarding the Middle East, says it will not reject a possible longer-term deployment of German troops to the region.
- German Defense Minister Calls for Longer Mandate for Its Military in Iraq Sputnik 16 Sep 2018 -- German troops are currently tasked with training the Middle Eastern country's military, as well as the Kurdish Peshmerga, to counter the remnants of terrorist forces.
- Russian 'hybrid warfare' targeting German troops in NATO: Merkel Press TV 15 Sep 2018 -- Germany says it is boosting military cyber capabilities to respond to Russian "hybrid warfare" techniques, targeting "NATO forces deployed in Eastern Europe".
- Germany May Join Possible Western Airstrikes on Syria - Reports Sputnik 09 Sep 2018 -- Germany may join possible airstrikes on Syrian government forces by western nations in case of chemical weapons use by Damascus, according to local media.
- Berlin's Bundestag Approves 'Well-Equipped' German Cybersecurity Agency Sputnik 02 Sep 2018 -- Chancellor Angela Merkel's cabinet has proposed a new cybersecurity branch of the German government, to be overseen by both the the Interior and the Defense ministries, according to Defenseone.com.
- Merkel Opposes Military Service Reintroduction Amid Calls for Conscription Sputnik 27 Aug 2018 -- German Chancellor Angela Merkel did not support the idea on Sunday of reintroducing conscription in the country in order to tackle staff shortages and high costs of military recruitment system.
- NATO, Trump Have Fingers on Scales of German Fighter Jet Decision Sputnik 22 Aug 2018 -- Even as Berlin studies aircraft options - including the F-35 - to replace its fleet of Tornado fighters, it seems the decision may be driven more by politics than by a technical assessment of military aircraft sophistication.
- Merkel, Putin Exchange Views On Ukraine, Syria, Iran, Pipeline RFE/RL 19 Aug 2018 -- The Kremlin says German Chancellor Angela Merkel and Russian President Vladimir Putin held a ""very serious and detailed" three-hour discussion during their meeting outside of Berlin, including an exchange of views on Ukraine, Syria, Iran, and a crucial pipeline project.
- Merkel, Putin Complete 'Serious and Detailed' Talks After Three Hours, Kremlin Says RFE/RL 19 Aug 2018 -- A Kremlin spokesman says talks between German Chancellor Angela Merkel and Russian President Vladimir Putin ended after three hours, calling the conversation "very serious and detailed."
- Bundeswehr Turned Into 'Spare Parts Warehouse' - German Newspaper Sputnik 16 Aug 2018 -- While the German government is looking for ways to increase its defense outlays to 1.5 percent of GDP from its current 1.3 percent, experts warn that the uptick will not be enough to fully meet the army's needs.
- Germany Mulls Return to Military Conscription as Bundeswehr Lacks Manpower Sputnik 06 Aug 2018 -- Berlin has been contemplating new security strategies in light of recent terror attacks and as part of preparations for possible NATO actions against an imaginary threat from Russia, German media wrote.
- When Size Matters: German Military Faces XL Problem With New Super Tanks Sputnik 04 Aug 2018 -- The country's army has ordered some 350 Puma tanks - considered to be the most expensive at about $9.3 million each - as well as other up-to-date vehicles of its class, to revamp the national forces. But it turns out that soldiers may be too tall to fit inside the German machines due to an alleged failure in planning and design.
- Germany may accept foreigners into army in exchange for citizenship Press TV 21 Jul 2018 -- The German army is reportedly mulling accepting foreigners into its ranks by offering them German citizenship.
- German Bundeswehr Mulls Opening Its Ranks to Foreign Nationals – Reports Sputnik 21 Jul 2018 -- In a bid to overcome a shortage of military personnel at home, the German Armed Forces are reportedly considering recruiting citizens of other European Union countries.
- Why Europe Will Ignore Trump's Wrath Over Nord Stream 2 Sputnik 11 Jul 2018 -- There are clear signs that European countries are unlikely to tear up their energy cooperation agreements with Russia, regardless of Donald Trump's vocal dissatisfaction, especially when it comes to the Nord Stream 2 project, which involves all the major European gas and oil giants.
- Jens Stoltenberg Says Nord Stream 2 Not NATO's Business Sputnik 11 Jul 2018 -- The statement was made in response to Donald Trump's furious attack on Germany's plans to build the pipeline, which is expected to transport Russian gas across the floor of the Baltic Sea.
- Remarks by President Trump and Chancellor Merkel of Germany After Pull-Aside Meeting The White House 11 Jul 2018
- Trump attacks Germany on opening day of NATO summit Press TV 11 Jul 2018 -- US President Donald Trump has launched an extraordinary tirade against Germany for its support for one of Europe's most contentious energy developments, calling the country "captive of Russians."
- Not Just About 'Cash:' Germany Fires Back After Trump Slams NATO 'Underspending' Sputnik 04 Jul 2018 -- Ahead of July's NATO summit, the US President fueled the buzz about the row within the bloc over agreed-upon military spending targets, as he sent his letters of discontent to several European leaders, including Chancellor Angela Merkel. In response, Germany's military chief lectured Trump on what alliance means and played down his rebuke.
- Germany Plans to Spend Billions More on Army While Trump Slams 'Underspending' Sputnik 03 Jul 2018 -- The federal budget draft suggests multibillion increase in defense spending for 2019. Over the recent time, the German military has been struggling to cope with shortages in armor and equipment as well as pressure from its NATO allies, who criticized the country for breaking promises on target budget.
- US Mulls Pulling Troops From Germany as Trump-Merkel Tensions Mount - Reports Sputnik 30 Jun 2018 -- The US Defense Department is conducting a study on what the consequences would be of a major withdrawal of US military forces from Germany, media reported.
- US mulls withdrawing troops from Germany Press TV 30 Jun 2018 -- The United States is reportedly examining options for a large-scale withdrawal or transportation of its forces stationed in Germany.
- Big Bang: Missile Reportedly Explodes Onboard German Frigate Sputnik 28 Jun 2018 -- Luckily, there were no serious injuries to the sailors onboard the vessel, but the ship itself has suffered significant damage, according to a task group commander.
- France, Germany Set to Cooperate on Next-Generation 'Superfighter' Jet Sputnik 22 Jun 2018 -- France and Germany solidified a future partnership in defense strategy Tuesday to jointly build a fighter aircraft to replace Germany's Eurofighters and France's Rafale aircraft.
- Berlin Asks Washington For Cost Estimate to Make Eurofighter Nuke-Capable Sputnik 20 Jun 2018 -- Germany is seeking clarity from the US about upgrading the Eurofighter Typhoon to handle nuclear bombs, pitting Berlin's commitment to multilateral defense in NATO against a desire to rely on European-made jets instead of US-made alternatives.
- Israel ecstatic over $1.2 billion drone deal with Germany Press TV 16 Jun 2018 -- Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has thanked German Chancellor Angela Merkel for her efforts in the approval of a more than one-billion-dollar deal to lease military drones from Israel.
- Merkel 'Undoubtedly' Pledges to Work on Reaching 2% Defense Spending Target Sputnik 15 Jun 2018 -- Germany will definitely be taking action to reach the target of spending 2 percent of the Gross Domestic Product (GDP) on defense in line with the standards of the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO), German Chancellor Angela Merkel said on Friday.
- German Parliament Committee Supports Israeli Intel Drones Lease Plan - Reports Sputnik 13 Jun 2018 -- Germany's parliamentary budget committee supported Wednesday the military's plans to lease Israeli-built Heron-TP surveillance drones, with a debate promised over arming the UAVs, Reuters reported, citing committee sources.
- Germany chancellor voices support for EU joint defense forces Press TV 04 Jun 2018 -- Germany chancellor Angela Merkel has voiced support for the concept of a joint European defense force.
- German Newspaper Reveals Disastrous State of Bundeswehr Sputnik 27 May 2018 -- The German army has more problems than previously reported, as the country's defense minister, Ursula von der Leyen, had allegedly tried to hide the malfunctions of the military equipment, according to reports.
- Germany Must Raise Defense Spending to Meet NATO Target – EU Commissioner Sputnik 26 May 2018 -- Germany needs to step up efforts to increase its defense budget to come closer to the spending target stipulated by NATO, EU budget commissioner Guenther Oettinger said in an interview with the Funke media group.
- Putin, Merkel Hold Talks In Sochi On Iran, Ukraine, Nord Stream 2 RFE/RL 18 May 2018 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin has held wide-ranging talks with German Chancellor Angela Merkel over the Ukraine conflict, Europe's response to the U.S. withdrawal from the Iran nuclear deal, and the construction of a pipeline bringing gas from Russia to Germany.
- 'Longstanding Shortfall': Trump Slams Germany for Being Slow on Defense Sputnik 18 May 2018 -- Some NATO member-states, including Germany, are far from being on track to meet the alliance's 2 percent of GDP target.
- Europe must take its fate in own hands, can no longer rely on US for protection: Merkel Press TV 10 May 2018 -- German Chancellor Angela Merkel says Europe can no longer rely on the United States for protection, urging European Union member states to take the bloc's destiny in their own hands.
- German Defense Minister Mulls Major Army Shift From Massive Overseas Ops Sputnik 05 May 2018 -- A new military concept provides that the German army should pay more attention to national problems which had been previously abandoned due to the army's strong focus on missions abroad.
- Germany - C-130J and KC-130J Aircraft DSCA 04 May 2018 -- The State Department has made a determination approving a possible Foreign Military Sale to Germany of three (3) C-130J-30 aircraft and three (3) KC-130J aircraft for an estimated cost of $1.40 billion. The Defense Security Cooperation Agency delivered the required certification notifying Congress of this possible sale today.
- Most German Eurofighter Jets Reveal Serious Defects - Report Sputnik 02 May 2018 -- As German authorities recently announced their intention to spend more than €450 million on the modernization of the country's armed forces in 2018 alone, the military equipment used by the country's military seem to reveal more shortcomings every day.
- Bundeswehr in Trouble? Russia Plans to Cancel Aircraft Lease for NATO Transport Sputnik 02 May 2018 -- As Germany's defense ministry announced plans to increase military spending in order to modernize outdated Bundeswehr equipment, the German army seems to be facing another serious challenge, this time with its transport capacity.
- Upping the Ante: German Defense Chief Seeks to Boost Military Budget Sputnik 29 Apr 2018 -- German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen has warned that if the country's defense budget is not expanded, she will freeze at least one international armaments project that Berlin is currently considering.
- Trump demands Merkel pay up 'fair share' for defense Press TV 28 Apr 2018 -- US President Donald Trump criticized German Chancellor Angela Merkel for refusing to pay her "fair share" for defense, during an intense 30-minute meeting they had in his office in Washington.
- Bundeswehr 'Confidence' in Government 'Dangerously Undermined' – Sen. Officer Sputnik 27 Apr 2018 -- The German army needs increased funding, otherwise the modernization program started by Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen could fail, Die Welt newspaper wrote, citing head of the German Bundeswehr Association Lieutenant Colonel André Wüstner.
- Putin, Merkel Discuss Syria, Baltic Gas Pipeline RFE/RL 17 Apr 2018 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin and German Chancellor Angela Merkel have discussed the situation in Syria and a controversial Baltic gas pipeline project in a telephone conversation, the Kremlin says.
- Germany Will Not Join Bombing Campaign in Syria - Chancellor Merkel Sputnik 12 Apr 2018 -- US President Donald Trump has threatened to attack Syria in retaliation to an alleged chemical attack which he quickly blamed on the Syrian government. Damascus has repeatedly denied using chemical weapons and has vowed to defend itself in the event of military aggression by the West.
- Germany's Tornado Jets Still Can't Fly at Night Sputnik 12 Apr 2018 -- Germany's Panavia Tornado jets are not ready for combat in after-dark scenarios. The problem? The pilots can't see. Worse yet, night vision goggles won't work as a substitute since the lights in the aircraft's cockpit would be blinding to pilots wearing them.
- Merkel: New Pipeline Impossible Without Clarity For Ukraine RFE/RL 10 Apr 2018 -- German Chancellor Angela Merkel has said that a new natural-gas pipeline linking Russia with Germany cannot go ahead without clarity on Ukraine's role as a gas transit route.
- Germany - MQ-4C Triton Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) DSCA 05 Apr 2018 -- The State Department has made a determination approving a possible Foreign Military Sale to Germany of MQ-4C Triton Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) for an estimated cost of $2.50 billion. The Defense Security Cooperation Agency delivered the required certification notifying Congress of this possible sale on Apr. 4, 2018.
- Germany Puts Air Defense Unit Under Foreign Control in 'New Era' for EU Military Sputnik 05 Apr 2018 -- The first-ever "sharing parenthood" of the air force marks a milestone in the creation of a German-Dutch joint military, which began more than 20 years ago, and falls in line with expansion of the all-European common defense system PESCO.
- German Tornado Aircraft No Longer Fit for NATO Operations - Reports Sputnik 01 Apr 2018 -- The technical condition of many jets leaves much to be desired as they are incapable of fulfilling operational needs within the military bloc, a report by the German defense ministry said.
- German Lawmakers Approve Troop Increase For Afghanistan RFE/RL 22 Mar 2018 -- The German parliament has approved plans to extend the country's military mission in Afghanistan.
- Germany's CDU/CSU Conservative Bloc, Social Democrats Sign Coalition Agreement Sputnik 12 Mar 2018 -- Social Economy, EU Affairs
- German Cabinet Approves Troop Increase For Afghanistan RFE/RL 07 Mar 2018 -- The German government on March 7 approved plans to extend the country's overseas military missions, including in Afghanistan.
- Germany to Extend Training of Kurdish Peshmerga Forces - Defense Ministry Sputnik 07 Mar 2018 -- The German Defense Ministry will continue training Kurdish Peshmerga forces in Iraq, the ministry's spokesperson Frank Faehnrich said on Wednesday.
- Political stalemate ends in Germany Press TV 04 Mar 2018 -- Members of Germany's Social Democratic Party (SPD) have decisively voted in favor of entering a new coalition government with Chancellor Angela Merkel's conservative bloc, a party official says.
- Germany cyber attack claim against Russia 'baseless': Peskov Press TV 02 Mar 2018 -- The Kremlin has rejected allegations by German officials of Russia hacking into Germany's cyber system.
- Suspected Russian Cyberattack In Germany Called 'Serious,' 'Damaging' RFE/RL 02 Mar 2018 -- A major cyberattack on the German government reported this week has been "serious," "damaging," and is still going on, German legislators and officials said.
- Germany admits cyberattack after Russia accused Press TV 01 Mar 2018 -- Germany has confirmed that it has been the target of an ongoing cyberattack on government computer systems.
- German Government Computers Hacked; Reports Point To Russia RFE/RL 01 Mar 2018 -- German officials say they are investigating a cyberattack on government computers, although they declined to comment on media reports blaming the hacking on a Russian group blamed for infiltration efforts in the United States and Europe.
- Germany Wants to Sideline US War Jets in Favor of Europe's Own Sputnik 01 Mar 2018 -- The German defense ministry considers Eurofighter Typhoon the leading candidate to replace its Tornado jets beginning in 2025.
- UK and Germany work towards stronger defence relationship UK MOD 28 Feb 2018 -- Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson has hosted his counterpart Ursula Von der Leyen in the UK for the first time.
- (No) Smoking Gun: Almost Half of German Army's Weapons Unfit for Duty - Report Sputnik 28 Feb 2018 -- Recent findings underscore the deep-seated problems haunting the German armed forces.
- Germany Fails to Fulfill NATO Rapid Response Force Requirements - Reports Sputnik 19 Feb 2018 -- The German Armed Forces lack bulletproof vests, winter uniforms, and tents to fulfill their NATO duties in establishing a rapid response force group, the Rheinische Post newspaper reported, citing a German Defense Ministry document.
- 'Billions for Defense': German Government Plans to Increase Its Military Budget Sputnik 17 Feb 2018 -- Speaking at the 2018 Munich Security Conference, German Defense Minister Ursula von der Leyen touted the Permanent Structured Cooperation (PESCO) pact and berated Washington for the planned funding cuts related to the UN and international aid.
- Sub-Par: Not a Single German Navy Submarine is Seaworthy Sputnik 17 Feb 2018 -- Germany's military hardware woes continue worsen: the German Parliament has announced that none of the German Navy's submarines are in operational condition. The navy maintains six submarines, but accidents and wear and tear have rendered all of them unusable.
- German Army Lacks Combat Ready Tanks for NATO Ops –- Reports Sputnik 15 Feb 2018 -- In recent times, Germany's military has been making headlines with its equipment shortages and poor performance, however, next year, the country is going to take on the leading role in NATO's rapid deployment force "Speerspitze".
- Germany Building More Ships to Boost Israeli Maritime Missile Shield – IDF Sputnik 08 Feb 2018 -- Germany is building four ships to add to Israel's sea-based missile shield called Iron Dome, according to a spokesperson for the Israel Defense Forces.
- Germany Conducts Raids In Iranian Spy Probe RFE/RL 16 Jan 2018 -- The federal prosecutor's office in Germany says police have conducted a series searches across the country in connection with investigations into 10 suspected Iranian spies.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list