Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
December 2022 - Germany Special Weapons News
- Joint Statement from Foreign Ministers on the Taliban's Ban on Afghan Women Working for National and International NGOs US Dept. of State 28 Dec 2022 -- The following is a statement from the Foreign Ministers of Australia, Canada, Denmark, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, Malta, Norway, Spain, Switzerland, the Netherlands, the United Kingdom, and the United States and the High Representative of the European Union.
- Germany takes the lead for NATO's high readiness force NATO 28 Dec 2022 -- On Sunday (1 January 2023), Germany takes the lead of NATO's highest-readiness military force, placing thousands of troops on standby and ready to deploy within days.
- Active peace policy - Foreign Minister Baerbock unveils foreign and security policy concept for integrated peace engagement Germany Federal Foreign Office 28 Dec 2022 -- How does the Federal Foreign Office want to stabilise trouble spots more effectively in future? The new concept for integrated peace engagement shows the way forward.
- Statement by the Federal Foreign Office on Libya Germany Federal Foreign Office 24 Dec 2022 -- Germany welcomes the statement of the SRSG Bathily and his ongoing efforts to reinvigorate the political process in Libya.
- Alleged Russian Spy at German Intel Agency Reportedly Had Access to Secrets Stolen by Allies Sputnik 23 Dec 2022 -- A member of the German foreign intelligence agency BND who was arrested this week on suspicion of passing secrets to Russia had access to sensitive data collected by allies, media reported.
- Minister ─îernochov├í took over the first Leopard 2A4 for the military Czech Republic Ministry of Defence & Armed Forces 23 Dec 2022-- On Wednesday, 21 December 2022, Defence Minister Jana ─îernochov├í took over from the State Secretary in the Ministry of Defence of the Federal Republic of Germany Benedikt Zimmer a symbolic key from the first Leopard 2A4 tank that the Czech Republic received from Germany as part of assistance to Ukraine.
- Germany Reportedly Struggles to Produce Enough Ammo to Support Own Security, Ukraine Sputnik 23 Dec 2022 -- Germany is struggling to produce enough ammunitions to support Ukraine and its own military readiness due to industrial base issues, US media reported citing German officials and industry leaders.
- German Intelligence Service Employee Accused Of Passing Information To Russia RFE/RL 22 Dec 2022 -- An employee of Germany's foreign intelligence service has been arrested on suspicion of sharing state secrets that he obtained in the course of his professional activities with Russia, federal prosecutors said on December 22.
- Joint Statement from Foreign Ministers on Taliban Decision to Ban Women from Universities US Dept. of State 21 Dec 2022 -- The text of the following statement was released by the Governments of the United States of America, the Governments of Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, the Netherlands, Norway, Spain, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom, and the High Representative of the European Union on the occasion of the Taliban's decision to ban women from universities.
- China and Germany have always been partners of dialogue, development, cooperation: Xi Global Times 21 Dec 2022 -- China and Germany have always been partners of dialogue, development and cooperation, as well as partners for handling global challenges, Chinese President Xi Jinping told German President Frank-Walter Steinmeier in a phone conversation on Tuesday evening, saying China is willing to carry out more extensive and in-depth cooperation with Germany in tackling such global challenges as sluggish economic recovery in the post-pandemic era, climate change, food crisis and energy crisis.
- Xi Jinping Speaks with President Frank-Walter Steinmeier of Germany on the Phone PRC MofA 20 Dec 2022 -- On the evening of December 20, 2022, President Xi Jinping had a phone conversation with German President Frank-Walter Steinmeier at the latter's request.
- War in Ukraine - Military support for Ukraine Germany - Federal Government 20 Dec 2022
- E3 Statement after UN Security Council Meeting on Iran: 19 December 2022 UK FCDO 19 Dec 2022 -- The governments of France, Germany and the United Kingdom issued a joint statement on the JCPoA.
- Statement by the Federal Foreign Office on reports of the latest series of ballistic missile tests by North Korea Germany Federal Foreign Office 19 Dec 2022 -- The Federal Government strongly condemns the latest illegal tests of ballistic missiles by North Korea.
- German Military Experiencing Technical Issues With Puma Fighting Vehicles, Reports Say Sputnik 18 Dec 2022 -- The German armed forces, the Bundeswehr, detected multiple technical issues with the Puma infantry fighting vehicles (IFV), German press reported on Sunday, citing a letter by an army commander, Ruprecht von Butler.
- German Troops to Remain in Mali Until May 2024, Defense Ministry Says Sputnik 16 Dec 2022 -- Despite Western peacekeeping troops, including French soldiers who recently ended their separate anti-terrorist mission Barkhane, have been present in Mali for almost a decade, jihadist threat in the country hasn't been defeated. The failure of the European military presence is causing increasing discontent among Malians.
- War in Ukraine - Military support for Ukraine Germany - Federal Government 15 Dec 2022 -- Germany provides support for Ukraine by supplying equipment and weapons, these come from supplies of the Federal Arms Forces and from deliveries from industry financed from the Federal Government's funds for security capacity building. An overview
- Germany To Buy U.S.-Made Fighter Jets As Military Spending Prompted By War In Ukraine Ramps Up RFE/RL 15 Dec 2022 -- Germany on December 14 gave the green light for the purchase of nearly three dozen U.S.-made F-35 fighter jets as part of a military overhaul prompted by Russia's invasion of Ukraine.
- Press release on statements by German Federal Chancellor Olaf Scholz President of Russia 14 Dec 2022 -- "We noted yet another anti-Russia attack by German Federal Chancellor Olaf Scholtz in his speech at the gala event devoted to the 70th anniversary of the German Economy Eastern Committee on December 12, 2022."
- Committee of German Parliament Approves $10Bln Purchase of F-35 Jets From US: Reports Sputnik 14 Dec 2022 -- The Budget Committee of the German parliament approved the contract with the United States on the purchase of F-35 fighter jets worth 10 billion euros ($10.6 billion), British news agency reported on Wednesday, citing sources in the committee.
- German minister to visit Taiwan in first such trip in 26 years CNA 13 Dec 2022 -- Germany's Federal Minister of Education and Research Bettina Stark-Watzinger is scheduled to visit Taiwan next year, which would be the first time in 26 years that Taiwan will receive a visiting German ministerial-level official.
- Last EU Foreign Affairs Council of the year: Focus on the Eastern Partnership, Ukraine and Iran Germany Federal Foreign Office 12 Dec 2022 -- The Eastern Partnership meeting, the ninth package of sanctions against Russia, Iran, Moldova and the Southern Neighbourhood are just some of the issues on the agenda of today's meeting of EU Foreign Ministers. Read here about what decisions are pending and what else is on the agenda.
- Deputy Secretary Sherman's Meeting with German Chancellery Foreign and Security Policy Advisor Jens Ploetner US Dept. of State 09 Dec 2022
- Deputy Secretary Sherman's Meeting with German State Secretary Andreas Michaelis US Dept. of State 09 Dec 2022
- Seven Nations Meet to Address Space Security DoD 08 Dec 2022 -- The Department of Defense participated in the annual Combined Space Operations (CSpO) Initiative Principals Board, hosted by the New Zealand Defense Force and New Zealand Ministry of Defense, December 6-8.
- Germany Rocked by Far-Right Plot to Seize Power VOA 08 Dec 2022 -- German authorities said Thursday that further arrests are likely after a far-right plot to overthrow the government was thwarted. Prosecutors said they had identified over 50 suspects in the case.
- Germany to arrest more suspects after coup plot swoop Press TV 09 Dec 2022 -- Germany police chief has said that more arrests were expected after 25 members and supporters of a far-right extremist group were taken into police custody for allegedly plotting to overthrow the state.
- Roman Mashovets held a meeting with representatives of the embassies of France, Germany, Italy, Spain and the Netherlands President of Ukraine 07 Dec 2022
- War in Ukraine Military support for Ukraine Germany - Federal Government 07 Dec 2022 -- Germany provides support for Ukraine by supplying equipment and weapons, these come from supplies of the Federal Arms Forces and from deliveries from industry financed from the Federal Government's funds for security capacity building. An overview.
- Detained German Extremists Planned to Copy January 6 US Capitol Attack: Reports Sputnik 07 Dec 2022 -- Detained German extremists planned to storm the Bundestag, the nation's parliament, in the manner that was employed by supporters of Donald Trump during the US Capitol breach on January 6, 2021, a German newspaper reported on Wednesday.
- Russia Has Nothing to Do With Group Planning Coup in Germany, Kremlin Says Sputnik 07 Dec 2022 -- The preparation of a coup in Germany is the country's internal problem, even Berlin says that it cannot be any "Russian interference," Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said on Wednesday.
- IRGC busts network tied to German, Dutch saboteurs IRNA 06 Dec 2022 -- The Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) has arrested members of a sabotage network that were instructed by anti-Revolution elements based in Germany and in the Netherlands.
- Germany to Allocate Over $10 Billion for Purchasing F-35A Lightning II Fighters, Reports Say Sputnik 05 Dec 2022 -- Germany has set aside ÔéČ10 billion ($10.54 billion) to buy 35 F-35A Lightning II fighter aircraft, US media reports citing a government document.
- Germany Expects Partners to Join Price Cap on Russian Oil, Says German Foreign Minister Sputnik 04 Dec 2022 -- Germany hopes that its international partners will comply with the price cap imposed on Russian oil without formally being a part of it, German Foreign Minister Annalena Baerbock said on Sunday, ahead of her visit to India's capital.
- Russian oil: EU agrees on level of price cap EC/CEU 03 Dec 2022 -- The Council decided today to set an oil price cap for crude oil and petroleum oils and oils obtained from bituminous minerals (CN code 2709 00) which originate in or are exported from Russia, at USD 60 per barrel.
- G7 agrees oil price cap: reducing Russia's revenues, while keeping global energy markets stable European Commission 03 Dec 2022 -- The international Price Cap Coalition has finalised its work on implementing an oil price cap on Russian seaborne crude oil. EU Member States in the Council have also just approved in parallel its implementation within the EU.
- Questions and Answers: G7 agrees oil price cap to reduce Russia's revenues, while keeping global energy markets stable European Commission 03 Dec 2022
- Price Cap On Russian Oil Should Be Lowered To $30 Per Barrel, Ukraine Says RFE/RL 03 Dec 2022 -- Ukraine has welcomed a $60 price cap on Russian oil agreed by the European Union, the Group of Seven (G7) group of advanced economies, and Australia, but said it should be lowered to $30 per barrel to hit Russia's economy harder.
- Telephone conversation with German Chancellor Olaf Scholz President of Russia 02 Dec 2022 -- Vladimir Putin had a telephone conversation with Federal Chancellor of the Federal Republic of Germany Olaf Scholz, at the initiative of the German side.
- Facts about Russia-Ukraine conflict: Putin, Scholz talk Ukraine situation People's Daily 03 Dec 2022 -- The following are the latest developments in the Ukraine crisis:
- War in Ukraine - Military support for Ukraine Germany - Federal Government 01 Dec 2022 -- The Federal Government supports the Ukrainian military in close coordination with its partners and allies. This list provides an overview of lethal and non-lethal German military support for Ukraine.
- Foreign Ministry statement on the German Parliament's resolution on the 1932-1933 famine in the Soviet Union Russia Ministry of Foreign Affairs 01 Dec 2022
- Secretary General Stoltenberg praises German support to Ukraine, key role in NATO NATO 01 Dec 2022 -- In a visit to Berlin on Thursday (1 December 2022), NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg thanked Chancellor Olaf Scholz for Germany's strong support to Ukraine and its key contributions to NATO, including through its historic decision to substantially increase defence spending.
- NATO Secretary General thanks Germany for contributions at critical time NATO 01 Dec 2022 -- NATO Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg thanked Germany on Thursday (1 December 2022) for its ''significant contributions to our Alliance,'' stressing that German leadership ''is more important than ever as we face the most serious security situation in decades.''
- 2022 was a difficult year for the OSCE: How the organisation is responding to Russia's obstructionist policy and why supporting the work of the OSCE is worthwhile Germany Federal Foreign Office 01 Dec 2022 -- Before the meeting of the OSCE foreign ministers in ┼ü├│d┼║, let us take a look at the work of the OSCE, Russia's obstructionist policy and the value that the Organization for Security and Co-operation in Europe offers to the world.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list