Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
May 2022 - Germany Special Weapons News
- Germany agrees on $107bn fund to modernize military amid Russia 'threat' Press TV 31 May 2022 -- Germany's coalition government and the main opposition party have reached an agreement on a â‚¬100 billion ($107 billion) boost to the country's military budget on Sunday, despite the country grappling with record inflation.
- Statement by a Federal Foreign Office Spokesperson following the trip to China by High Commissioner for Human Rights Michelle Bachelet Germany Federal Foreign Office 30 May 2022 -- "Human rights are not an internal matter for individual states, and national borders do not constitute a wall behind which human rights no longer apply."
- G7 Foreign Ministers' Statement on the Launch of an Intercontinental Ballistic Missile by the DPRK US Dept. of State 30 May 2022 -- The text of the following statement was released by the G7 foreign ministers of Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, the United Kingdom, and the United States of America, and the High Representative of the European Union.
- Germany's Weapon Supplies to Ukraine Down to Minimum - Reports Sputnik 29 May 2022 -- The German government has reduced to a minimum the supply of weapons to Ukraine in the past nine weeks, the Welt am Sonntag newspaper reports citing relevant documents.
- Putin discusses Ukraine situation, food security with Macron, Scholz People's Daily 29 May 2022 -- Russian President Vladimir Putin held a phone conversation with French President Emmanuel Macron and German Chancellor Olaf Scholz on Saturday to discuss the situation in Ukraine and the global food security.
- Ukrainian PM, German development minister discuss Ukraine's post-conflict recovery People's Daily 28 May 2022 -- Ukrainian Prime Minister Denys Shmyhal said on Friday he discussed his country's post-conflict reconstruction with Germany's Minister for Economic Cooperation and Development Svenja Schulze during their talks in Kiev.
- Press release: telephone conversation with German Chancellor Olaf Scholz and Russian President Vladimir Putin Ă‰lysĂ©e - President of France 28 May 2022 -- On their joint initiative, the President of the French Republic and the Chancellor of the Federal Republic of Germany held a conversation with President Putin this morning, Saturday 28th May 2022.
- Telephone conversation with President of France Emmanuel Macron and Federal Chancellor of Germany Olaf Scholz President of Russia 28 May 2022 -- Vladimir Putin spoke by telephone with President of the French Republic Emmanuel Macron and Federal Chancellor of Germany Olaf Scholz.
- Ukrainian, German FMs discuss heavy weapon supplies People's Daily 27 May 2022 -- Ukrainian Foreign Minister Dmytro Kuleba said on Thursday he had discussed the supplies of heavy weapons to Ukraine with German Foreign Minister Annalena Baerbock.
- Ukraine Calls On Germany To Cut Natural Gas Flows Through Nord Stream 1 Pipeline RFE/RL 27 May 2022 -- Ukraine has demanded that Germany either halt or severely curtail natural gas flows through the Nord Stream 1 pipeline, the head of Ukraine's gas system operator said on May 27.
- Germany's Former Chancellor Says He Won't Join Board Of Russia's Gazprom RFE/RL 25 May 2022 -- Former German Chancellor Gerhard Schroeder will not accept a nomination to the board of Russian energy company Gazprom.
- Joint statement on Ukraine's application against Russia at the International Court of Justice Germany Federal Foreign Office 24 May 2022 -- Statement on behalf of Albania, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Canada, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Marshall Islands, Micronesia (Federated States of), Montenegro, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom, United States, European Union:
- Statement by a Federal Foreign Office Spokesperson on today's video conference between Foreign Minister Annalena Baerbock and her Chinese counterpart, Wang Yi Germany Federal Foreign Office 24 May 2022 -- In an hour-long video conference, Foreign Minister Baerbock spoke today with her Chinese counterpart, Wang Yi. In view of the many global challenges, Foreign Minister Baerbock stressed the importance of international cooperation.
- Germany's Scholz Seeks To Pursue Energy Projects With Senegal Amid Russian Supply Uncertainties RFE/RL 22 May 2022 -- German Chancellor Olaf Scholz says his country wants to "intensively" pursue gas and renewable energy projects with West African nation Senegal amid uncertainties with Russian supplies following Moscow's invasion of Ukraine.
- Joint statement on Ukraine's application against Russia at the International Court of Justice Germany Federal Foreign Office 20 May 2022 -- Statement on behalf of Albania, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Canada, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Georgia, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Malta, Marshall Islands, Micronesia (Federated States of), Montenegro, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom, United States, European Union
- Bundestag passes resolution to support Taiwan's WHA bid CNA 20 May 2022 -- The German federal parliament Bundestag adopted a resolution on Thursday to call on the German government to advocate for Taiwan's participation in the World Health Organization's (WHO) activities and its decision-making body World Health Assembly (WHA).
- Scholz says no shortcuts to Ukraine's EU membership bid People's Daily 20 May 2022 -- German Chancellor Olaf Scholz said on Thursday that there would be no shortcuts to Ukraine's bid to join the European Union (EU).
- The Federal Chancellor holds talks on Ukraine with the Prime Minister of the Netherlands - "The killing must end" Germany Federal Foreign Office 19 May 2022 -- Russia not only bears responsibility for the impact of the war in Ukraine, but also for the risk of a severe global food crisis, said Federal Chancellor Scholz during his talks with the Dutch Prime Minister Rutte in The Hague. Prior to this, Scholz had met King Willem-Alexander.
- Government statement by Federal Chancellor Scholz - "We all share the same goal: Ukraine must survive" Germany - Federal Government 19 May 2022 -- "War in our immediate neighbourhood is, without doubt, the greatest challenge" that the European Union has had to cope with in the last few years, said Federal Chancellor Olaf Scholz in his government statement in the German Bundestag on Thursday. It was therefore all the more important to defend peace, he said.
- Germany Says 'No Shortcuts' For Ukraine On EU Path, Prompting Criticism From Kyiv RFE/RL 19 May 2022 -- German Chancellor Olaf Scholz says Ukraine's bid to join the European Union cannot be fast-tracked despite Russia's invasion, a statement Kyiv said amounted to "second-class" treatment.
- Ukrainian president holds phone talks with German, French leaders People's Daily 18 May 2022 -- Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky on Tuesday held separate phone talks with German Chancellor Olaf Scholz and French President Emmanuel Macron.
- The war against hunger Germany Federal Foreign Office 18 May 2022 -- Russia's war of aggression against Ukraine is not only causing immeasurable suffering for the people in the region. All over the world, the number of people suffering from hunger is increasing due to the lack of food exports from Ukraine and Russia as well as rising prices.
- Germany pushes towards energy independence from Russia People's Daily 18 May 2022 -- The German government's new plan seeks to encourage all segments of society to use energy more efficiently in order to reduce the country's dependence on Russian fossil fuels by next winter.
- Statement by the Federal Foreign Office on the testing of ballistic missiles by North Korea Germany Federal Foreign Office 16 May 2022
- Secretary Blinken's Meeting with German, UK, and French Counterparts US Dept. of State 15 May 2022
- G7 Foreign Ministers' Statement on Russia's War Against Ukraine US Dept. of State 14 May 2022 -- The text of the following statement was released by the G7 foreign ministers of Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, the United Kingdom, and the United States of America, and the High Representative of the European Union.
- Commitments on the Global Food Security Consequences of Russia's War of Aggression against Ukraine - G7 Foreign Ministers, May 2022 UK FCDO 14 May 2022 -- G7 Foreign Ministers discussed the implications of Russia's war of aggression against Ukraine on global food security during their meeting in Germany on 14 May 2022.
- Statement on Strengthening Anticipatory Action in Humanitarian Assistance - G7 Foreign Ministers, May 2022 UK FCDO 14 May 2022 -- Foreign Ministers from G7 countries released a joint statement on humanitarian assistance following their meeting in Germany, May 2022.
- G7 Foreign Ministers' Action Plan on COVID-19 Germany Federal Foreign Office 13 May 2022 -- "We, the G7 Foreign Ministers of Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, the United Kingdom, and the United States of America, and the High Representative of the European Union, have endorsed the following Action Plan:"
- Joint Statement of Foreign Ministers on increased Restrictions on the Human Rights of Afghan Women and Girls Germany Federal Foreign Office 13 May 2022 -- Statement by the Foreign Ministers of Australia, Canada, Denmark, Finland, Germany, Italy, Japan, the Republic of Korea, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Spain, Sweden, United Kingdom, United States:
- Mossad Reportedly Thwarted IRGC Assassination of US General in Germany Sputnik 13 May 2022 -- The hit was allegedly part of a bigger plot that involved killing an Israeli diplomat in Turkey and a journalist in France. Media reports claim that the suspected hitman later insisted that he was innocent and was forced to confess.
- G7 Foreign Ministers' Statement on the Situation of Women and Girls in Afghanistan US Dept. of State 12 May 2022 -- The text of the following statement was released by the G7 foreign ministers of Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, the United Kingdom, and the United States of America, and the High Representative of the European Union.
- Germany's Siemens Exiting Russian Market Completely Over War In Ukraine RFE/RL 12 May 2022 -- The German industrial and technology group Siemens AG says it will fully stop operations and leave the Russian market over Moscow's invasion of Ukraine, the latest blow to an economy already ravaged by international sanctions and the exodus of hundreds of firms.
- Joint Statement on Syria US Dept. of State 12 May 2022 -- Representatives of the United States, the Arab League, Egypt, the European Union, France, Germany, Greece, Iraq, Italy, Japan, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Norway, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Sweden, Turkey, the United Arab Emirates, and the United Kingdom met in Brussels on May 10, 2022, to discuss the crisis in Syria.
- Germany braces for energy sanctions by Russia: minister People's Daily 13 May 2022 -- Germany is bracing for energy sanctions imposed by Russia, Minister for Economic Affairs and Climate Action Robert Habeck said during his speech in the country's lower house of parliament Bundestag on Thursday.
- Zelensky, Scholz discuss defensive aid for Ukraine People's Daily 12 May 2022 -- Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky tweeted Wednesday that he had a conversation with German Chancellor Olaf Scholz to discuss defensive aid for Ukraine.
- Deployment in Mali to be extended with restrictions Germany - Federal Government 11 May 2022 -- The soldiers of the Federal Armed Forces are to continue a limited form of their training mission EUTM (European Union Training Mission) Mali in the Sahel with a focus on Niger.
- Federal Armed Forces continue to support peace mission in Mali Germany - Federal Government 11 May 2022 -- The soldiers of the Federal Armed Forces are continuing their deployment in the United Nations peace mission Minusma. The Federal Cabinet has decided to extend the mandate until 31 May 2023. The German Bundestag has yet to give its approval. The most important questions and answers about the deployment.
- Federal Armed Forces to continue their deployment in Lebanon Germany - Federal Government 11 May 2022 -- The Federal Armed Forces will continue to participate in the peace-keeping mission United Nations Interim Force in Lebanon (UNIFIL). The Federal Cabinet has extended the mandate to the end of June 2023. The German Bundestag has yet to give its approval. The most important questions and answers about the mandate extension.
- Germany works to provide modern weapons to Ukraine: FM People's Daily 11 May 2022 -- Visiting German Foreign Minister Annalena Baerbock on Tuesday said the government of Germany is working to provide modern weapons to Ukraine, the Ukrainian government-run Ukrinform news agency reported.
- Securing national energy supplies Germany - Federal Government 10 May 2022 -- The Federal Government is working flat out to make Germany independent of Russian gas imports. Constructing liquefied natural gas terminals is intended help tap into alternative sources of supply for the short term. The Federal Cabinet has adopted a key resolution to this end.
- Visit by Belgian Prime Minister De Croo - Joint action against the Russian war of aggression Germany - Federal Government 10 May 2022 -- Germany and Belgium agree that they will make every endeavour to support Ukraine. This was stressed by Federal Chancellor Scholz on Tuesday during his meeting with the Belgian Prime Minister De Croo in Berlin. Scholz added that this applied to the supply of weapons as well as to further sanctions.
- German, Dutch Foreign Ministers Call For Justice During Surprise Visit To Ukraine RFE/RL 10 May 2022 -- The foreign ministers of Germany and the Netherlands have made a surprise visit to Ukraine, stopping in the Kyiv suburbs of Bucha and Irpin, where Russian forces are accused of committing war crimes before retreating last month.
- Federal Foreign Office on reports of the testing of a ballistic missile by North Korea Germany Federal Foreign Office 10 May 2022
- President Macron in Berlin - Standing up for each other and for Ukraine Germany - Federal Government 09 May 2022 -- Germany and France stand closely and resolutely shoulder to shoulder with Ukraine, said the Federal Chancellor at his meeting with France's re-elected President Macron in Berlin on Monday. They would continue to do all they could to provide financial, humanitarian and also military support for Ukraine in order to end the war, said Scholz.
- Statement of the G7 Non-Proliferation Directors Group Germany Federal Foreign Office 09 May 2022
- G7 Foreign Ministers' Statement on the Hong Kong Chief Executive Selection US Dept. of State 09 May 2022 -- The text of the following statement was released by the G7 foreign ministers of Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, the United Kingdom, and the United States of America, and the High Representative of the European Union.
- President Xi Jinping Has a Virtualâ€‚Meetingâ€‚with German Chancellor Olaf Scholz PRC MofA 09 May 2022 -- President Xi Jinping had a virtualâ€‚meeting with German Chancellor Olaf Scholz on the afternoon of 9 May.
- Xi calls on China, Germany to better harness stabilizing, constructive, steering role of ties PLA Daily 09 May 2022 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping had a virtual meeting with German Chancellor Olaf Scholz on Monday, saying it is particularly important for the two countries to better harness the stabilizing, constructive and steering role of their relationship.
- Xi speaks to Scholz, stressing stabilizing, constructive, steering role of China-Germany ties Global Times 09 May 2022 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping on Monday met via video link with German Chancellor Olaf Scholz as the two leaders exchanged views on bilateral ties, China-EU relations and Ukraine crisis.
- Head of State met with the President of the German Bundestag President of Ukraine 08 May 2022
- Ukraine President Attends Virtual Meeting with G7 Leaders VOA 08 May 2022 -- Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy is meeting virtually Sunday with the Group of 7 leaders, who head the world's largest economies.
- Speech by the President of Ukraine at the video conference of the G7 leaders President of Ukraine 08 May 2022
- G7 Leaders' Statement The White House 08 May 2022 -- "Today, on 8 May, we, the Leaders of the Group of Seven (G7), alongside Ukraine and the wider global community, commemorate the end of the Second World War in Europe and the liberation from fascism and the National Socialist reign of terror, which caused immeasurable destruction, unspeakable horrors and human suffering. We mourn the millions of victims and offer our respect, especially to all those who paid the ultimate price to defeat the National Socialist regime, including the western Allies and the Soviet Union."
- Background Press Call by a Senior Administration Official on the U.S. and G7 Actions to Impose Additional Severe Costs for Putin's War Against Ukraine The White House 08 May 2022
- FACT SHEET: United States and G7 Partners Impose Severe Costs for Putin's War Against Ukraine The White House 08 May 2022
- US, Allies Bolster Ukraine Support VOA 08 May 2022 -- The United States and other leading economies in the Group of Seven nations Sunday agreed to ban or phase out the purchase of Russian oil, directly targeting a major source of income for Moscow to pay for its 10-week invasion of Ukraine.
- PM call with G7 and European leaders and President Zelenskyy: 8 May 2022 Gov.UK 08 May 2022 -- The Prime Minister addressed G7 and European leaders, alongside President Volodymyr Zelenskyy this afternoon, telling them the world must go further and faster to support Ukraine.
- Televised address by Olaf Scholz, Chancellor of the Federal Republic of Germany and Member of the German Bundestag, on the anniversary of the end of the Second World War in Europe Berlin, 8 May 2022 Germany - Federal Government 08 May 2022 -- "The Second World War came to an end in Europe 77 years ago today. (...) Millions of people fell on the battlefields. Millions were murdered in their towns and villages, in concentration camps and extermination camps. Germans were the ones who perpetrated this crime against humanity. It is therefore all the more painful to see how today, at the heart of Europe, 77 years after the end of the Second World War, brutal violence is once again breaking the law. How Russia's army is slaughtering men, women and children in Ukraine, laying waste to towns and cities, even attacking those attempting to flee. "
- Deputy Secretary Sherman's Meeting with French, German, Italian, and UK Counterparts US Dept. of State 07 May 2022
- Germany Steps Up Weapons Aid To Ukraine As Zelenskiy Urges Scholz To Visit Kyiv RFE/RL 06 May 2022 -- Germany says it will deliver seven self-propelled howitzers to Ukraine after reversing its policy not to send heavy armaments to war zones.
- Ukrainian leader holds separate talks with British PM, German president People's Daily 06 May 2022 -- Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky said on Thursday that he had separate conversations with British Prime Minister Boris Johnson and German President Frank-Walter Steinmeier.
- German, Ukrainian Presidents Smooth Out Dispute Over Visit RFE/RL 05 May 2022 -- German President Frank-Walter Steinmeier has spoken with his Ukrainian counterpart, Volodymyr Zelenskiy, amid a rift over a visit to Kyiv last month that was canceled at the last minute by Ukraine.
- German dependency on Russian energy significantly reduced: president People's Daily 05 May 2022 -- Germany's dependency on Russian energy resources has been significantly reduced, German President Frank Walter Steinmeier said on Wednesday during a visit to Bucharest.
- Readout of President Biden's Call with Chancellor Scholz of Germany The White House 05 May 2022
- Andriy Yermak discussed security issues and strengthening sanctions against Russia with advisers to leaders of the United States, Great Britain, Germany and France President of Ukraine 04 May 2022
- The Federal Chancellor meets the Serbian President - Developing good relations further Germany - Federal Government 04 May 2022 -- After meeting the Serbian President VuÄŤiÄ‡, Federal Chancellor Scholz said that economic cooperation between Germany and Serbia had intensified further. Further issues discussed included the war in Ukraine, political developments in the Western Balkans and the relationship to Kosovo.
- Scholz meets Prime Minister of Kosovo - The Federal Chancellor envisages prospects for EU membership Germany - Federal Government 04 May 2022 -- Russia's invasion of Ukraine and the economic situation in the Western Balkans were at the top of the agenda for the talks between Federal Chancellor Olaf Scholz and Prime Minister Albin Kurti of Kosovo.
- German Chancellor Presses Serbia, Kosovo To Resume Normalization Talks RFE/RL 04 May 2022 -- German Chancellor Olaf Scholz urged Kosovo and Serbia on May 4 to be constructive in the process of restarting normalization talks and reiterated his desire to see all Western Balkan countries become members of the European Union.
- "We are taking the most severe scenarios seriously" Germany Federal Foreign Office 03 May 2022 -- Foreign Minister Annalena Baerbock in an interview with the Rheinische Post and affiliated newspapers.
- EU Ministers Discuss Russian Oil Embargo As Germany Signals Shift In Position RFE/RL 02 May 2022 -- European Union ministers have met in Brussels to discuss a response to Russia cutting gas supplies to Poland and Bulgaria and plans for a possible oil embargo to punish Moscow for invading Ukraine.
- German Chancellor Opposes Unilateral Actions on Arms Supplies to Kiev Sputnik 01 May 2022 -- German Chancellor Olaf Scholz spoke out on Sunday against taking unilateral steps on the issue of arms supplies to Ukraine, adding that Berlin coordinates its actions with its allies.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list