Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
October 2021 - Germany Special Weapons News
- Biden Seeks Continued Work On Implementation Of U.S.-German Energy Agreement RFE/RL 31 Oct 2021 -- U.S. President Joe Biden has stressed the importance of implementing a U.S.-German agreement on the controversial Nord Stream 2 pipeline to ensure that Russia "cannot manipulate natural gas flows for harmful political purposes," the White House said in a statement.
- Joint Statement by the President of France Emmanuel Macron, Chancellor of Germany Angela Merkel, Prime Minister of the United Kingdom and Northern Ireland Boris Johnson, and President of the United States Joseph R. Biden, Jr. on Iran The White House 30 Oct 2021
- Biden, EU Leaders Urge Iran To Return To Nuclear Talks To Prevent 'Dangerous Escalation' RFE/RL 30 Oct 2021 -- The leaders of the United States, Germany, France and Britain on October 30 called on Iran to return to nuclear talks and resume compliance with the 2015 nuclear accord to prevent a "dangerous escalation."
- Readout of President Biden's Meeting with Chancellor Angela Merkel and Vice Chancellor Olaf Scholz of Germany The White House 30 Oct 2021
- China Attempts to Block Cultural Events in Germany, Italy VOA 29 Oct 2021 -- Efforts by Chinese diplomats to stop cultural events deemed critical of the government in Beijing have met with mixed results in Europe, succeeding in Germany but being rebuffed by a city government in Italy.
- Joint Statement on Media Freedom Coalition on Media Freedom in Russia US Dept. of State 28 Oct 2021 -- The following is the text of a joint statement signed by the governments of Australia, Canada, Czech Republic, Denmark, France, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Latvia, Lithuania, Netherlands, New Zealand, North Macedonia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Ukraine, United Kingdom, and United States of America.
- German Parliament to End 'Epidemic Situation' VOA 27 Oct 2021 -- Leaders of Germany's newly-installed Bundestag â€“ the lower house parliament â€“ said Wednesday they will not extend the "epidemic situation of national scope" when it expires next month, though certain public health measures will remain to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
- German Parliament Elects New Speaker as Merkel Steps Aside VOA 26 Oct 2021 -- For the first time since last month's elections, Germany's lower house of parliament, the Bundestag, met Tuesday and elected a new speaker from the winning center-left Social Democrats (SPD) party to lead the 736-member body.
- German Court Sentences Islamic State Member to 10 Years in Prison VOA 25 Oct 2021 -- A German woman received a 10-year prison sentence Monday for allowing a young Yazidi girl, who was being kept as a slave in Iraq by the woman and her husband, to die of thirst in the hot sun.
- Germany, Poland Bolster Borders Amid Migrant Surge From Belarus RFE/RL 25 Oct 2021 -- Poland has announced plans to increase the number of soldiers and guards at its border with Belarus to 10,000 to help stem the flow of illegal migrants the European Union has accused Minsk of facilitating in retaliation for sanctions against Belarus leader Alyaksandr Lukashenka.
- U.S. Navy, German Navy Sail At Sea Together, Meet Ashore US Navy 22 Oct 2021 -- Independence-variant littoral combat ships USS Jackson (LCS 6) and USS Tulsa (LCS 16) sailed with Germany Navy frigate FGS Bayern (F 217) in the Philippine Sea, and Tulsa hosted Bayern crewmembers for ship tours while moored at Naval Base Guam, Oct. 18 & 21.
- Fifteen Allies deepen cooperation on Ground Based Air Defence NATO 21 Oct 2021 -- Defence Ministers from 15 NATO Allies reaffirmed their commitment to multinationally develop, acquire and deliver Ground Based Air Defence capabilities, which will protect Allied personnel, equipment and facilities from air based threats. This was done in the margins of the NATO Defence Ministers Meeting on 21 October 2021.
- Only German Permit Needed to Turn On Nord Stream 2 Gas Flow, Russian Envoy Says Sputnik 17 Oct 2021 -- Russia's Nord Stream 2 gas link with Germany is only a permit away from supplying extra gas to fuel-strapped Europe, the Russian ambassador to the UK said in an interview with the BBC.
- Germany vs South Korea: Norway Picks Partner for Major Tank Procurement Sputnik 13 Oct 2021 -- Norway's current fleet of 52 Leopard 2A4NLs dates back to the 80s is approaching the end of its service life and has exhausted all potential for upgrade. However, the new tanks will only arrive in 2025 at the earliest.
- Belarus Border Crisis Intensifies As Germany Reports Huge Jump In Migrants, Poland Plans 'Barrier' RFE/RL 13 Oct 2021 -- German authorities have complained of a flood of illegal migrants via the "Belarus route" while Polish officials have announced plans to permanently strengthen the border with Belarus as a long-running border crisis mounts between EU states and the regime in Minsk.
- Berlin Says Leaders Of Germany, France, Ukraine, Russia Agree To Ministerial-Level Meeting RFE/RL 11 Oct 2021 -- Germany says Chancellor Angela Merkel and French President Emmanuel Macron have discussed the ongoing conflict in eastern Ukraine with the presidents of Ukraine and Russia, and agreed their foreign ministers should meet.
- Merkel Calls on Iran to Return to Negotiations on Nuclear Deal VOA 10 Oct 2021 -- Outgoing German Chancellor Angela Merkel was in Israel Sunday, meeting with Israeli leaders. She called on Iran to return to negotiations on a new nuclear deal. Under her leadership, Israel and Germany have had close relations including cooperation on Iran and its nuclear program. The visit comes as Iran says it has 120 kilograms of enriched uranium.
- German Health Minister Says Vaccinations Further Along Than Thought VOA 07 Oct 2021 -- German Health Minister Jens Spahn said Thursday the nation has vaccinated millions more people than previously thought, thanks to some unreported vaccination numbers discovered by the Robert Koch Institute for Disease Control.
- Joint Statement on Iraq's Early Elections US Dept. of State 06 Oct 2021 -- The text of the following statement was released by the Governments of Australia, Canada, Denmark, Finland, Germany, Italy, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Sweden, the United Kingdom, and the United States.
- Germany's Greens, Free Democrats Hold Coalition Talks With Social Democrats VOA 06 Oct 2021 -- Germany's Social Democrats (SPD), winners of last month's nationwide parliamentary elections, said Wednesday they are holding talks with the nation's Green Party and Free Democratic Party (FDP) â€” the respective third- and fourth-place finishers in the election, to try to form a ruling coalition.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list