Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
September 2021 - Germany Special Weapons News
- Germany's Political Parties Bargain to Determine Next Government VOA 30 Sep 2021 -- The wrangling over who will control Germany's government has begun among the top four finishing parties following parliamentary elections.
- German Navy Visits Australia as part of Indo-Pacific voyage Australia DOD 28 Sep 2021 -- German Navy Ship FGS Bayern has arrived in Fremantle, Western Australia for a week-long visit during a seven-month deployment to the Indo-Pacific region.
- Germans, Americans reinforce partnership during return to annual forum in Kaiserslautern Army News 28 Sep 2021 -- Community and military leaders gathered for the first time in nearly two years for the Kaiserslautern Military Community Mayor's Forum Sept. 28.
- UNITAS LXII Opening Ceremony Takes Place in Lima US Navy 27 Sep 2021 -- Naval and Marine forces from Argentina, Australia, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, France, Germany, Italy, Jamaica, Mexico, Panama, Peru, Spain, South Korea, United Kingdom, Uruguay, and the United States gathered for the opening ceremony for UNITAS LXII, the longest running multinational maritime exercise, in Lima, Peru, Sept. 27.
- UNITAS LXII Kicks off in Lima US Navy 26 Sep 2021 -- Naval and Marine forces from Australia, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, France, Germany, Italy, Jamaica, Mexico, Morocco, Panama, Peru, Spain, United Kingdom, Uruguay, and the United States kicked off UNITAS LXII, an annual multinational exercise, Sept. 24, in Lima, Peru.
- Goodbye Chancellor Merkel, Hello Chancellor Merkel VOA 27 Sep 2021 -- The joke in Berlin before Germans went to the polls Sunday was that the country's longstanding chancellor, Angela Merkel, would have to delay her retirement from politics, and would end up delivering the traditional New Year's address to the nation come January.
- Germans Voting Ends; Exit Polls Show Tight Contest VOA 26 Sep 2021 -- Voting has ended in Germany's national parliamentary elections with exit polling indicating a tight contest between outgoing Chancellor Angela Merkel's center-right Christian Democratic Union and the center-left Social Democrats.
- Voting underway in tight race as Germany prepares for post-Merkel era Press TV 26 Sep 2021 -- Millions of Germans are casting their ballots in an unpredictable election that will decide a successor to Chancellor Angela Merkel, as she prepares to leave office after 16 years in power.
- Goodbye, Merkel: Germany's 'Crisis Chancellor' to Step Down After 16 Years VOA 25 Sep 2021 -- Germany is preparing to bid farewell to Chancellor Angela Merkel, who is stepping down after elections scheduled for Sunday. She has led Europe's biggest economy for the past 16 years and has played a major role in Europe and on the global stage.
- Deputy Secretary of Defense Hicks Meets With Mr. Benedikt Zimmer, State Secretary, Federal Ministry of Defence, Federal Republic of Germany DoD 23 Sep 2021
- Iran, Germany FMs discuss nuclear deal, bilateral ties, Afghanistan ISNA 22 Sep 2021 -- Iran's Foreign Minister Hossein Amir Abdollahian met with his German counterpart Heiko Maas on the sidelines of the 76th session of the UN General Assembly in New York.
- Iran, Germany discuss latest developments around JCPOA IRNA 21 Sep 2021 -- Head of the Atomic Energy Organization of Iran (AEOI) Mohammad Eslami and Federal Minister for Economic Affairs and Energy Peter Altmaier, in a meeting in Vienna on Tuesday, reviewed the latest developments surrounding a 2015 Iran nuclear deal â€“ known as JCPOA.
- After Merkel: Who Will Win the German Election? VOA 21 Sep 2021 -- Berlin is basking in late summer sunshine. Along the banks of the River Spree, residents enjoy the last warm days before the change of season. Germany â€“ and the rest of Europe â€“ are about to witness the end of an era: after 16 years, the sun is setting on Chancellor Angela Merkel's time in power.
- After Merkel: What Role for Germany on Global Stage? VOA 20 Sep 2021 -- As Germany prepares to elect a new leader in elections scheduled for September 26, Chancellor Angela Merkel's successor will face a series of immediate geopolitical challenges. Among the most pressing is the rise of China.
- Chinese FM stresses efforts in safeguarding peace in S.China Sea after rejecting port visit of German warship Global Times 16 Sep 2021 -- China urges non-regional countries to respect regional countries' efforts in safeguarding peace and stability in the South China Sea, and to play a constructive role on the issue, a spokesperson for Chinese Ministry of Foreign Affairs said on Thursday in response to China's decision to decline a German warship from docking at a Chinese port.
- Who Will Succeed Angela Merkel as Germany's Chancellor? VOA 16 Sep 2021 -- On September 26 Germans will go to the polls in a federal election to apportion seats in the Bundestag and decide who will succeed Angela Merkel as chancellor. Marking the end of the Merkel era, many view this electoral contest as Germany's most important election in decades.
- Germany Echoes French Concerns About Reported Russian Mercenary Deal With Mali's Junta RFE/RL 15 Sep 2021 -- Germany joined France on September 15 in expressing concern about reports of an agreement between Mali's new military rulers and the Vagner Group, a Russian military contractor with ties to the Kremlin.
- E3 Statement at the IAEA Board of Governors on verification and monitoring in Iran (JCPoA), September 2021 UK FCDO 15 Sep 2021 -- Delivered on behalf of France, Germany and the United Kingdom, 14 September 2021
- Germany Vows 'No Repeat' of 2015 Refugee Influx as Election Looms VOA 15 Sep 2021 -- Campaigning to elect a new German leader this month is being clouded by concerns that the country will face a new influx of refugees â€” this time those fleeing Taliban rule in Afghanistan.
- Merkel Tells Western Balkan Leaders 'The EU Must Keep Its Word' On Accession RFE/RL 14 Sep 2021 -- German Chancellor Angela Merkel has wrapped up her farewell trip to the Balkans by pledging in Tirana that "regardless of how the German elections turn out, any new German chancellor will have a heart for the region."
- What Did Merkel Achieve During Her 16 Years at Germany's Helm? VOA 14 Sep 2021 -- When Germany's long-standing chancellor, Angela Merkel, steps down following federal elections later this month, it will mark the end of an era, not only for Germany but also for the European Union.
- Merkel Sees 'Long Way' To EU Membership For Western Balkan States RFE/RL 13 Sep 2021 -- German Chancellor Angela Merkel has said that it is one of Germany's goals to see the six Western Balkan states join the European Union, but that the six countries have a "long way" to go before entering the bloc.
- Merkel Reiterates Support For Ukraine's Gas Transit Role During Farewell Visit To Poland RFE/RL 11 Sep 2021 -- German Chancellor Angela Merkel has said Ukraine must remain a transit country for Russian natural-gas exports during her final tour of European capitals before leaving office.
- Xi, Merkel talk over phone on ties, multilateral cooperation People's Daily 11 Sep 2021 -- The China-Germany relationship will continue to make new progress, as long as both sides hold on to consolidating and deepening mutual trust, treating each other as equals and focusing on cooperation, Chinese President Xi Jinping said Friday in a phone conversation with German Chancellor Angela Merkel.
- Joint Support and Enabling Command declares Full Operational Capability NATO 09 Sep 2021 -- On 8 September 2021, Joint Support and Enabling Command (JSEC) declared Full Operational Capability (FOC) and marked the occasion with a ceremony presided over by its Commander, Lieutenant General JÃ¼rgen Knappe. Distinguished guests included the Supreme Allied Commander Europe, General Tod Wolters, the German State Secretary, Thomas Silberhorn, and the Director General of the NATO International Military Staff, Lieutenant General Hans-Werner Wiermann.
- Reports: German Prosecutors Open Investigation Into Alleged Russian Cyberattacks RFE/RL 09 Sep 2021 -- News reports say German prosecutors have opened a formal investigation into a series of cyberattacks that have targeted German politicians - attacks that the Foreign Ministry has blamed on Russia.
- Pakistan, German, U.S. Naval Forces Conduct Passing Exercise in Arabian Sea CENTCOM 08 Sep 2021 -- The Pakistan Navy frigate PNS Alamgir (F 260) and German Navy frigate FGS Bayern (F 217) participated in a passing exercise (PASSEX) with guided-missile cruiser USS Shiloh (CG 67) in the Arabian Sea, Sept. 6.
- Secretary Antony J. Blinken at Top of Meeting with German Foreign Minister Heiko Maas US Dept. of State 08 Sep 2021
- Secretary Antony J. Blinken and German Foreign Minister Heiko Maas at a Joint Press Availability US Dept. of State 08 Sep 2021
- Berlin Protests To Moscow Over Preelection Cyberattacks RFE/RL 06 Sep 2021 -- Germany says it has protested to Russia over attempts to steal data from politicians in what it suspects could be an attempt to spread "disinformation" ahead of German elections later this year.
- Merkel Calls For Talks With Taliban About Further Evacuations From Afghanistan RFE/RL Gandhara 05 Sep 2021 -- German Chancellor Angela Merkel has said that Berlin must engage with the Taliban in order to help evacuate Afghans who worked for the country.
- Secretary Blinken's Call with German Foreign Minister Maas US Dept. of State 02 Sep 2021
- Germany, France Urge Iran To Return To Nuclear Talks After Tehran Signals Delay RFE/RL 01 Sep 2021 -- France and Germany have called on Iran to immediately resume talks intended to revive the moribund nuclear deal with world powers, after Tehran said it could take another "two to three months" to get back to the negotiating table.
- German Security-Company Employee Goes On Trial For Allegedly Spying On Bundestag For Russia RFE/RL 01 Sep 2021 -- An employee of a German security company contracted by the Bundestag has gone on trial on espionage charges after being accused of passing floor plans of buildings used by the German parliament to the Russian secret services.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list