Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
May 2021 - Germany Special Weapons News
- US spy agency colluded with Denmark to snoop on Merkel, other top EU leaders: Reports Press TV 31 May 2021 -- The infamous US spy network, National Security Agency (NSA), has reportedly colluded with Denmark's military intelligence unit, FE, to snoop on senior European politicians, including German Chancellor Angela Merkel.
- Norway, Sweden Demand Answers on Espionage After Report of Denmark Helping NSA Spy on EU Politicians Sputnik 31 May 2021 -- While Danish Defence Minister Trine Bramsen reiterated that wiretapping allies is "unacceptable", researchers and analysts have warned of an "intelligence scandal" in Denmark and compared Copenhagen's "very precarious" position to that of a "louse pressed between two nails".
- U.S. Navy Littoral Combat Ship hosts German Defense Minister US Navy 29 May 2021 -- The crew of Independence-variant littoral combat ship USS Charleston (LCS 18) hosted Germany's Defense Minister, who toured the ship while moored at Naval Base Guam, May 28
- G7 Foreign Ministers' Statement on Belarus US Dept. of State 27 May 2021 -- The text of the following statement was released by the G7 foreign ministers of Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, the United Kingdom and the United States of America and the High Representative of the European Union.
- EU Criticizes Russia For Labeling Three German NGOs 'Undesirable' RFE/RL 27 May 2021 -- The European Union has rejected a decision by Russian prosecutors to designate three German nongovernmental groups as "undesirable organizations," calling the move "the most recent example of the Russian authorities' disregard for a vibrant civil society."
- Joint Statement by the Secretary of State of the United States of America, the Foreign Secretary of the United Kingdom, and the Foreign Ministers of France, Germany, and Italy US Dept. of State 25 May 2021 -- The following statement was released by United States Secretary of State Antony J. Blinken, French Foreign Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian, German Foreign Minister Heiko Maas, Italian Foreign Minister Luigi Di Maio, and UK Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab on Syria's presidential election.
- Secretary Blinken's Call with German Foreign Minister Maas US Dept. of State 24 May 2021
- German Health Minister Says 3rd COVID Wave Broken VOA 21 May 2021 -- German health officials said Friday the nation has broken the third wave of COVID-19 infections, but cautioned the pandemic is far from over.
- Readout of Under Secretary of Defense for Policy Dr. Colin Kahl Virtual Meeting with France, Germany, and the UK DoD 20 May 2021
- Nord Stream 2 and European Energy Security US Dept. of State 19 May 2021 -- Today, the Department of State submitted a report to Congress pursuant to the Protecting Europe's Energy Security Act (PEESA), as amended, listing four vessels, five entities, and one individual involved in construction of the Nord Stream 2 pipeline, including Nord Stream 2 AG and the company's CEO Matthias Warnig.
- US Waives Sanctions on Firm Working on Germany-Russia Pipeline VOA 19 May 2021 -- The U.S. will waive sanctions against the German company leading construction of the Nord Stream 2 pipeline, according to a State Department report sent to Congress on Wednesday.
- Germany Confirms That U.S. Won't Put Sanctions On Russian Undersea Pipeline Project RFE/RL 19 May 2021 -- Germany's top diplomat has confirmed reports that the United States will not impose new sanctions on the company in charge of the undersea Nord Stream 2 gas pipeline, a move welcomed by the Kremlin.
- Secretary Blinken's Call with German Foreign Minister Maas US Dept. of State 18 May 2021
- Germany to Open Vaccinations to All Adults Beginning June 7 VOA 17 May 2021 -- German Health Minister Jens Spahn announced Monday the nation would end its COVID-19 vaccination prioritizing and open inoculations to all adults who want them, effective June 7.
- France, Germany, Spain push ahead with fighter jet project Deutsche Welle 17 May 2021 -- With billions of euros on the line, Spain, France and Germany agreed on the next stage of building a new European fighter jet. An early prototype is expected to take flight in 2027.
- Germany's confirmed coronavirus cases rise by 8,500 SPA 16 May 2021 -- The number of confirmed coronavirus cases in Germany increased by 8,500 to 3,593,434, data from the Robert Koch Institute (RKI) for infectious diseases showed on Sunday, according to Reuters.
- Germany's confirmed coronavirus cases rise by 7,894 SPA 15 May 2021 -- The number of confirmed coronavirus cases in Germany increased by 7,894 to 3,584,934, data from the Robert Koch Institute (RKI) for infectious diseases showed on Saturday.
- Germany COVID Infection Rate Falls Below Key Threshold VOA 14 May 2021 -- Germany's Health Minister Jens Spahn said Friday the nation's average COVID-19 infection rate over the past week has fallen below 100 per 100,000 residents for the first time in two months, a key threshold for lifting restrictions in the European nation.
- Germany's COVID-19 case rate falls below key threshold SPA 14 May 2021 -- Germany's seven-day rate of COVID-19 cases fell below a key threshold for the first time in nearly two months on Friday, Reuters reported.
- Germany lifts quarantine requirement for COVID-vaccinated travelers People's Daily 13 May 2021 -- The German government eased entry restrictions for travelers on Wednesday, allowing people who have been fully vaccinated or have recovered from the coronavirus to enter the country without any quarantine obligation.
- Germany to Use Digital Immunity Certificate VOA 12 May 2021 -- German Health Minister Jens Spahn said Wednesday the nation is prepared to roll out a digital "immunity app" to show proof of vaccination for Germans by the end of June.
- Germany opens Johnson &Johnson's COVID-19 vaccine to all adults People's Daily 11 May 2021 -- Germany is to make Johnson &Johnson's COVID-19 vaccine available to all adults by removing a priority system that determines who gets the jabs first, Minister of Health Jens Spahn announced at a press conference here on Monday.
- Germany Makes Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 Vaccine Available to All Adults VOA 10 May 2021 -- German Health Minister Jens Spahn announced Monday the country was making the single-shot Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine available to all adults, lifting a prioritization that limited the shot only to those 60 and older.
- Claims That Sputnik V Negotiations With Germany 'Dead' Are False, RDIF Says Sputnik 09 May 2021 -- The Russian Direct Investment Fund (RDIF) refuted claims that negotiations on the supply of the Sputnik V vaccine to Germany reached an impasse and slammed such fake reports as part of a disinformation campaign aimed at preventing the Russian drug from entering European markets.
- Germany rejects U.S.-backed proposal to waive COVID-19 vaccine patents People's Daily 08 May 2021 -- The German government has rejected the U.S. proposal to waive patent rights on COVID-19 vaccines, Minister of Health Jens Spahn told journalists here on Friday.
- U.S.-Europe CommuniquÃ© on the Afghan Peace Process US Dept. of State 07 May 2021 -- The following is the text of a communiquÃ© issued by the United States of America, European Union, France, Germany, Italy, NATO, Norway, and the United Kingdom on the Afghan Peace Process.
- Statement by France, Germany, Italy, Spain and the United Kingdom on Israeli Settlements UK FCDO 06 May 2021 -- The governments of France, Germany, Italy, Spain, and the UK have issued a statement on Israeli Settlements
- Germany Calls US, Canada, Norway Joining EU Military Mobility Project a 'Quantum Leap' Sputnik 06 May 2021 -- The United States, Canada and Norway are set to join one of EU's military projects aimed at increasing the speed of troop and equipment deployment in Europe.
- Germany's Maas Urges Sides in 'Fragile' Libyan Peace Process to Stick to Their Commitments Sputnik 06 May 2021 -- German Foreign Minister Heiko Maas on Thursday urged the participants of the Libyan peace process to stay within the 2020 Berlin summit framework and fulfill their commitments, noting that the situation in the country remains precarious.
- Germany Reports 18,034 New COVID-19 Cases, 285 Deaths SPA 05 May 2021 -- Germany reported 18,034 new cases of the coronavirus (COVID-19) and 285 deaths in the past 24 hours.
- Early-warning 'pandemic hub' plan unveiled by WHO's Tedros and Germany's Merkel UN News 05 May 2021 -- An international hub for pandemic control is to open in Berlin to ensure better preparedness and transparency in the fight against likely future global health threats, the UN health agency announced on Wednesday.
- Germany's Merkel Stresses Importance of US-European Relations VOA 05 May 2021 -- German Chancellor Angela Merkel on Wednesday stressed the importance of the transatlantic relationship, saying the United States will always be Europe's most important partner.
- G-7 Foreign Ministers Meet in London as Russia, China Top Agenda VOA 04 May 2021 -- Foreign ministers of the Group of Seven (G-7) industrialized nations are meeting in London this week, with climate change, Russia and China among the challenges topping the agenda. It is the first face-to-face G-7 meeting in two years, after the coronavirus pandemic forced the Pittsburgh 2020 foreign ministers' meeting to be held via video link.
- UK unites G7 to take action against democratic threats UK FCDO 04 May 2021 -- At the London G7 Foreign and Development Ministers' Meeting, leading democracies will discuss global issues that threaten to undermine democracy and human rights.
- Secretary Blinken's Meeting with German Foreign Minister Maas US Dept. of State 04 May 2021
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list