Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
February 2021 - Germany Special Weapons News
- German Defense Minister Pays Surprise Visit To Troops In Afghanistan RFE/RL Gandhara 26 Feb 2021 -- German Defense Minister Annegret Kramp-Karrenbauer has paid an unannounced visit to Afghanistan in a show of the country's commitment to the peace process.
- COVID-19 crisis causes second highest German gov't deficit in 30 years: Destatis Global Times 25 Feb 2021 -- The coronavirus pandemic and its consequences resulted in a general financial deficit for the German state of 139.6 billion euros (169.3 billion U.S. dollars) last year, the Federal Statistical Office (Destatis) said on Wednesday based on preliminary calculations.
- Merkel: EU Leaders Agree to Introduce Vaccination Certificates, They Will Be Ready Within 3 Months Sputnik 25 Feb 2021 -- The concept of vaccination certificates was rolled out as an idea that could facilitate travel between the countries of the bloc during the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.
- German Troop Would Remain In Afghanistan Until January 2022 Under New Draft Mandate RFE/RL Gandhara 25 Feb 2021 -- The German government has approved a new draft mandate under which German troops would stay in Afghanistan into early next year.
- German Man Charged With Spying At Bundestag For Russia RFE/RL 25 Feb 2021 -- German prosecutors say they have filed espionage charges against a German man suspected of passing the floor plan for the parliament building in Berlin to Russian intelligence services.
- German National Charged With Passing Secret Information to Russia From Bundestag, Prosecutors Say Sputnik 25 Feb 2021 -- The suspect is alleged to have collected secret data from the parliament building and passed it on to a Russian intelligence operative attached to the Russian Embassy in Berlin.
- 2nd team of German army medics arrives in Portugal to help fight COVID-19 Global Times 24 Feb 2021 -- Portugal on Tuesday welcomed the second team of German military health professionals who assist the country in the treatment of COVID-19 patients.
- German Court Convicts Assad Official VOA 24 Feb 2021 -- A German court has convicted a former member of Syrian President Bashar al-Assad's secret police of accessory to crimes against humanity for facilitating the torture of prisoners.
- G7 foreign ministers condemn Myanmar junta violence Press TV 23 Feb 2021 -- The Group of Seven (G7) countries has "firmly" condemned the heavy-handed crackdown committed by Myanmar's junta against anti-coup protesters.
- G7 Nations Condemn Myanmar Coup as Some Detained Protesters Are Released Radio Free Asia 23 Feb 2021 -- The Group of Seven industrial democracies on Tuesday condemned the Myanmar military regime's use of violence against protesters rejecting the coup that deposed the democratically elected government of Aung San Suu Kyi more than three weeks ago, while the U.S. slapped sanctions on two junta generals.
- G7 Foreign Ministers' Statement on Burma US Dept. of State 23 Feb 2021 -- The text of the following statement was released by the G7 foreign ministers of Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, the United Kingdom and the United States of America and the High Representative of the European Union.
- E3 foreign ministers' statement on the JCPoA: 23 February 2021 UK FCDO 23 Feb 2021 -- The governments of France, Germany and the United Kingdom respond to Iran's suspension of the Additional Protocol.
- Germany Contracts Israeli Protection Systems for Leopard Tanks Sputnik 23 Feb 2021 -- The German defen—Āe ministry has signed a deal with the Israeli military to buy active tank protection systems for its mainstay Leopards from the Rafael defen—Āe firm.
- KMW commissioned the TROPHY protection system for the German LEOPARD 2 KMW 22 Feb 2021 -- The German defen—Āe ministry has signed a deal with the Israeli military to buy active tank protection systems for its mainstay Leopards from the Rafael defen—Āe firm.
- Germany's Confirmed Coronavirus Cases Rise by 4,369 SPA 22 Feb 2021 -- The number of confirmed coronavirus cases in Germany increased by 4,369 to 2,390,928, data from the Robert Koch Institute (RKI) for infectious diseases showed on Monday, according to Reuters.
- Germany Urges Iran to Compromise on JCPOA Before Deal 'Damaged Beyond Repair' Sputnik 22 Feb 2021 -- German Foreign Minister Heiko Maas on Monday called on Iran to compromise on the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) before the nuclear deal "is damaged beyond repair".
- German Health Officials Warn Decline in New COVID-19 Cases Could Backslide VOA 19 Feb 2021 -- German health officials Friday warned there are signs the recent downward trend of new COVID-19 cases in the country could reverse itself and urged caution to those eager to lift virus-related restrictions.
- Statement by the Foreign Ministers of France, Germany, the United Kingdom and the United States of America UK FCDO 18 Feb 2021 -- Today, the Foreign Ministers of the United Kingdom, France, Germany, and the United States of America met in Paris, France. This group recently met on 5 February 2021.
- Rouhani tells Merkel: Adding anything to nuclear deal 'impossible' Press TV 18 Feb 2021 -- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani says it would be "impossible" to modify the country's landmark nuclear agreement, emphasizing that the only way to save the deal is to lift the United States' "inhumane sanctions" on Iran.
- E3, US Call on Iran to Avoid Any Additional Steps to Suspend Nuclear Protocols, Limit IAEA Access Sputnik 18 Feb 2021 -- Earlier, Iran indicated that it would block snap inspections by the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) if parties of the 2015 Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) failed to fulfill their commitments under the agreement and lift sanctions against Tehran by February 21.
- German Health Minister: British COVID-19 Variant Spreading Rapidly VOA 17 Feb 2021 -- German Health Minister Jens Spahn said Wednesday the so-called British variant of COVID-19 is spreading quickly in his country, now accounting for more than 20 percent of all tested cases, and nearly four times the rate of two weeks earlier.
- Joint statement: Rocket attacks in Erbil on 15 February 2021 UK FCDO 17 Feb 2021 -- The following statement was released by the US, France, Germany, Italy and the UK following the February 15 attack in the Iraqi Kurdistan Region.
- European Rights Court Backs Germany Over Afghan Air Strike Case RFE/RL Gandhara 16 Feb 2021 -- The European Court of Human Rights (ECHR) on February 16 rejected a complaint against German authorities' decision not to prosecute an officer who ordered a deadly air strike in northern Afghanistan in September 2009.
- Navalny Was Under German Special Forces Protection During His Treatment in Berlin Sputnik 15 Feb 2021 -- Russian opposition figure Alexei Navlny was under protection of special services in Berlin, where he received medical treatment and recovered after the suspected poisoning, the German cabinet said on Monday, responding to a request by the Alternative for Germany parliamentary faction.
- E3 Statement on the JCPoA: 12 February 2021 UK FCDO 12 Feb 2021 -- The governments of France, Germany and the United Kingdom respond to Iran's production of uranium metal.
- In rebuke to E3, Iran FM challenges trio to lay out fulfilled JCPOA duties Press TV 12 Feb 2021 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif has challenged the commitment of the three European parties to the nuclear deal of 2015 signed between Tehran and major world powers after the trio claimed that Iran risks losing the opportunity to fully realize the agreement by starting to produce uranium metal.
- France, Germany, U.K. 'Strongly Urge' Iran To Halt Breach Of Recent Nuclear Deal RFE/RL 12 Feb 2021 -- The so-called E3 European powers have urged Iran to reverse its decision to violate a landmark nuclear deal by producing uranium metal and avoid "noncompliant" steps before it's too late.
- Merkel Defends Extension of Germany COVID-19 Lockdown VOA 11 Feb 2021 -- German Chancellor Angela Merkel Thursday defended her decision to extend the nation's COVID-19 lockdown, saying the variant strains of the virus pose a threat and she does not want to make the mistakes that led to a second surge last year.
- Germany extends COVID-19 lockdown to March 7 People's Daily 11 Feb 2021 -- Germany will extend lockdown efforts to contain the COVID-19 pandemic for three more weeks till March 7, Chancellor Angela Merkel and the 16 federal state leaders decided on Wednesday.
- Attack on Abha International Airport, Saudi Arabia: E3 statement UK FCDO 11 Feb 2021 -- The governments of France, Germany and the UK have strongly condemned the attack claimed by the Houthis on Abha International Airport on 10 February.
- German Defence Ministry Pushing for Reform of 'Underfunded' Bundeswehr, Reports Say Sputnik 10 Feb 2021 -- German Defence chief Annegret Kramp-Karrenbauer and Bundeswehr Inspector General Eberhard Zorn have called for a large-scale upgrade of the armed forces, the Frankfurter Allgemeine Zeitung reported, citing their joint report.
- Germany's Confirmed Coronavirus Cases Rise By 3,379 SPA 09 Feb 2021 -- The number of confirmed coronavirus cases in Germany increased by 3,379 to 2,291,924, data from the Robert Koch Institute (RKI) for infectious diseases showed on Tuesday, according to Reuters.
- Germany Offered U.S. 'Dirty Deal' On Nord Stream 2, Eco-Group Claims RFE/RL 09 Feb 2021 -- An environmental and consumer protection group says the German government offered U.S. President Donald Trump's administration financial support of up to 1 billion euros ($1.21 billion) in a bid to prevent Washington from imposing sanctions on the controversial Nord Stream 2 pipeline.
- Germany, Sweden, Poland Expel Russian Diplomats In Tit-For-Tat Move RFE/RL 08 Feb 2021 -- Germany, Sweden, and Poland are each expelling a Russian diplomat in a tit-for-tat move after Moscow's expulsion last week of diplomats from the three EU countries for allegedly taking part in protests in support of Kremlin critic Aleksei Navalny.
- Germany, Poland, and Sweden Expel Russian Diplomats in Tit-for-Tat Moves Sputnik 08 Feb 2021 -- Previously, three diplomats from Poland, Germany and Sweden were expelled from Russia after participating in unauthorised rallies to support jailed Russian blogger Alexei Navalny.
- Germany's Merkel says Nord Stream 2 project unaffected by Navalny case People's Daily 06 Feb 2021 -- German Chancellor Angela Merkel said Friday that Germany's attitude towards the Nord Stream 2 pipeline is, for the present, "unaffected" by Russia's treatment of its opposition leader Alexei Navalny.
- Warsaw Pleased to Welcome US Halting Troop Pullout From Germany Sputnik 05 Feb 2021 -- Poland welcomes the United States' decision to freeze the planned troop withdrawal from Germany and wants "the widest possible" American military presence in Europe, National Security Bureau (BBN) chief Pawel Soloch said on Friday.
- Secretary Blinken's Call with French Foreign Minister Le Drian, German Foreign Minister Maas, and UK Foreign Secretary Raab US Dept. of State 05 Feb 2021
- Blinken discusses Iran deal with UK, French, German ministers Press TV 05 Feb 2021 -- US Secretary of State Antony Blinken has discussed Iran with his British, French and German counterparts as they seek to revive the Iran nuclear deal.
- Biden Announces US Stopping Any Planned Troop Withdrawals From Germany Sputnik 04 Feb 2021 -- US President Joe Biden announced on Thursday that the United States is halting any planned removal of forces from Germany.
- G7 Foreign Ministers' Statement on the Situation in Burma US Dept. of State 03 Feb 2021 -- The text of the following statement was released by the G7 foreign ministers of Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, the United Kingdom and the United States of America and the High Representative of the European Union.
- G-7 Condemns Myanmar Coup VOA 03 Feb 2021 -- Foreign ministers from the G-7 group of nations on Wednesday condemned the coup in Myanmar and expressed deep concern about the detention of Aung San Suu Kyi and other political leaders.
- G7 calls for return to political rule in coup-hit Myanmar Press TV 03 Feb 2021 -- Foreign ministers from the Group of Seven (G7) major industrialized countries have expressed deep concern about the recent military coup in Myanmar and the detention of the country's top political leaders.
- COVID-19 vaccinations for all Germans by end of summer: Merkel Global Times 02 Feb 2021 -- German Chancellor Angela Merkel reaffirmed on Monday the government pledge to offer COVID-19 vaccinations to all German citizens by the end of the summer.
- German Pharma Company Bayer to Produce New COVID Vaccine VOA 01 Feb 2021 -- German pharmaceutical giant Bayer announced Monday it will help a smaller German biomedical company, CureVac, produce its experimental COVID-19 vaccine, the latest drug maker to offer up manufacturing capacity as supplies fall behind demand worldwide.
- German official suggests use of Chinese, Russian vaccines to ease supply shortage People's Daily 01 Feb 2021 -- Minister-President of Germany's southern state of Bavaria Markus Soeder on Sunday called on European authorities to consider using Chinese and Russian vaccines to ease the current delivery shortage.
- France urges Germany to scrap massive gas pipeline project with Russia Press TV 01 Feb 2021 -- France has called on Germany to scrap a massive nearly-finished gas pipeline from Russia in protest over the detention of Western-backed opposition figure Alexei Navalny.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list