Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
2010 France Special Weapons News
- Russia opts for French Mistral-class warships for its Navy RIA Novosti 25 Dec 2010 -- Russia has opted for France's Mistral-class helicopter carriers for its Navy after announcing that the winner of the Russian Defense Ministry's tender for amphibious assault ships was a consortium comprised of French DCNS and Russia's United Shipbuilding Corporation (USC).
- France wins tender to build warships for Russia RIA Novosti 24 Dec 2010 -- Russian President Dmitry Medvedev told his French counterpart Nicolas Sarkozy over the phone that France has won a tender to build amphibious assault ships for Russia.
- Mistral deal seals Russia-France special relationship RIA Novosti 15 Dec 2010 -- The general purpose Mistral-class amphibious assault ship has been officially declared the winner of a tender held by Russia's Defense Ministry.
- Astrium to build the future optical reconnaissance satellites for the French Armed Forces EADS 02 Dec 2010 -- CNES, the French space agency, has notified Astrium that the DGA, the French arms procurement agency, has awarded the company a € 795 million contract for two satellites for the optical space component (CSO) that will replace the current HELIOS 2 military observation satellites.
- Global Strike Command officials build partnership with French AFNS 02 Dec 2010 -- The French Strategic Air Forces' top officer, Lt. Gen. Paul Fouilland, visited the Air Force Global Strike Command.
- UK-France deal includes nuclear material transfers IRNA 01 Dec 2010 -- Britain's Defence Secretary Fox has confirmed that last month's military agreement with France includes transfers of nuclear material.
- UK insists French deal 'not affect' nuclear deterrent IRNA 16 Nov 2010 -- The British government has denied that Declaration on Defence and Security Cooperation with France affects the independence of the UK's nuclear deterrent.
- France, China Say Launching 'Strategic' Nuclear Cooperation RFE/RL 05 Nov 2010 -- France and China have agreed to form what they are calling a "strategic" partnership in civilian nuclear power.
- UK-France Defence Co-operation Treaty announced UK MoD 02 Nov 2010 -- A new programme of defence co-operation between the UK and France has been announced by British Prime Minister David Cameron and French President Nicolas Sarkozy today, Tuesday 2 November 2010. The programme is to be delivered through an overarching Defence Co-operation Treaty, a subordinate treaty relating to a joint nuclear facility, a letter of intent signed by Defence Ministers and a package of joint defence initiatives.
- Britain, France Sign Historic Defense Pacts VOA 02 Nov 2010 -- France and Britain have signed treaties that will see the two nuclear-armed powers cooperate on defense, including a joint rapid deployment force and shared use of aircraft carriers.
- Controversial nuclear element in new Anglo-French defence deal IRNA 02 Nov 2010 -- Defence Secretary Liam Fox said that it makes “perfect sense” to develop common practices in a world of tight resources ahead of Britain signing a far-reaching defence agreement with France Tuesday.
- Britain, France Sign Landmark Defense Deal RFE/RL 02 Nov 2010 -- The leaders of Britain and France have sealed agreements on a defense partnership between their two nations which is unparalleled in scope.
- Gowind OPV: DCNS and Ministry of Defence sign ship availability agreement DCNS 26 Oct 2010-- Today, on the DCNS stand at the Euronaval 2010 naval defence show, French Defence Minister Hervé Morin, French Navy Chief-of-Staff Admiral Pierre-François Forissier and DCNS Chairman & CEO Patrick Boissier signed an innovative agreement under which DCNS will make a Gowind offshore patrol vessel available to the French Navy.
- Sagem to supply navigation systems for France’s new Suffren class nuclear attack submarines Sagem (Safran group) 26 Oct 2010 -- French naval shipyard DCNS has ordered Sigma 40XP inertial navigation systems from Sagem (Safran group) for the new Suffren class nuclear attack submarines, within the scope of the Barracuda program.
- UN nuclear watchdog team suggests safety improvements for French power plant UN News Centre 06 Oct 2010 -- After visiting a nuclear power plant in eastern France, an international team led by the United Nations International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) has made recommendations on how to reinforce its safety practices.
- French Interior Ministry chooses Sagem’s Patroller™ drone system for operational civil security trials Sagem (Safran group) 12 Aug 2010 -- The Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF), part of the NATO forces in Afghanistan, will continue to utilize Israel Aerospace Industries' (IAI) Heron unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) as part of Australia's Project NANKEEN, in cooperation with the Canadian Defense Forces. Experts believe the contract could reach tens of millions of dollars.
- France orders Sagem RVT remote video terminals for direct reception of images from drones Sagem (Safran group) 14 Jun 2010 -- Sagem (Safran group) has signed a contract with French defense procurement agency DGA to supply its new Remote Video Terminal (RVT) to units in the French army’s 61st Artillery Regiment deploying the SDTI Sperwer tactical drone(1).
- Russia, France strike nuclear cooperation deal RIA Novosti 08 Jun 2010 -- Russia and France signed an agreement on cooperation in the atomic energy industry.
- Thales signs contract to equip additional FREMM frigates Thales 12 Apr 2010 -- Thales has signed a contract to equip France’s additional three FREMM frigates with radar, infrared search and track, sonar and communications systems - bringing to 11 the number of French multi-mission frigates the company will supply.
- France expects Russian decision soon on buying Mistral warship RIA Novosti 18 Feb 2010 -- French naval shipbuilder DCNS said on Thursday it expected to receive a final answer from Russia soon on buying a Mistral-class helicopter carrier.
- French media exposes secret report on French nuclear tests on humans RIA Novosti 16 Feb 2010 -- France carried out nuclear tests on its servicemen in the 1960s to study the effect of radiation on humans, according to a secret report uncovered by French media.
- French president defends sale of Mistral warship to Russia RIA Novosti 09 Feb 2010 -- French President Nicolas Sarkozy has defended his decision to allow the sale of a Mistral-class amphibious assault ship to Russia by saying it would not threaten regional security, the Daily Herald reported.
- Russia still weighing Mistral warship options - security chief RIA Novosti 09 Feb 2010 -- The Russian leadership is still considering whether to buy a Mistral-class amphibious assault ship from France or to build a similar ship domestically, Russia's top security official said Tuesday.
- France approves sale of Mistral warship to Russia RIA Novosti 08 Feb 2010 -- France has agreed to sell Russia a Mistral-class amphibious assault ship and received an order to build another three, Radio France Internationale reported Monday.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list