Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
August 2021 - France Special Weapons News
- Taliban discussing running Kabul airport with Turkey, Qatar: France Press TV 31 Aug 2021 -- France says the Taliban are in talks with Qatar and Turkey about operating the Kabul airport, a report says, after the last American troops left the war-raved Afghanistan.
- French Minister Says Taliban In Talks With Qatar, Turkey About Kabul Airport Management RFE/RL Gandhara 31 Aug 2021 -- France's foreign minister has said that the Taliban is discussing the management of Kabul's international airport with Qatar and Turkey, insisting that the hard-line Islamist group should secure the facility quickly so that people who want to leave Afghanistan can do so using commercial flights.
- Australia to host French icebreaker on Antarctic resupply mission Australia DOD 30 Aug 2021 -- Australia will host a French polar patrol ship on its annual summer resupply mission to support research in the Antarctic.
- Macron says France, Britain to submit resolution to UNSC for Kabul safe zone Press TV 29 Aug 2021 -- French President Emmanuel Macron says France and the United Kingdom are planning to present an emergency resolution to the United Nations Security Council for the Taliban to support a civilian-run safe zone in the Afghan capital Kabul, in a bid to protect people trying to leave the war-ravaged country.
- For France's Sahel Mission, Echoes of Afghanistan VOA 22 Aug 2021 -- The chaotic aftermath of Washington's troop withdrawal from Afghanistan is being followed with a mix of trepidation and glee thousands of kilometers away â€” in Africa's Sahel, where another foreign power, France, also vows to wind down its long-running counterinsurgency operation, at least in its present form.
- Readout of President Joe Biden Call with President Emmanuel Macron of France The White House 19 Aug 2021
- Britain, France, Germany Voice 'Grave Concern' Over Iran's Uranium Enrichment RFE/RL 19 Aug 2021 -- Britain, France, and Germany -- three of the signatories of a 2015 nuclear deal between Iran and world powers -- have expressed serious concern over the UN's nuclear watchdog reporting that Tehran has produced uranium metal and stepped up production of weapons-grade enriched uranium in violation of the deal.
- E3 Statement on the JCPoA: 19 August 2021 UK FCDO 19 Aug 2021 -- The governments of France, Germany and the United Kingdom respond to Iranian plans to produce uranium metal.
- France Battles Soaring COVID-19 Cases in Overseas Territories VOA 17 Aug 2021 -- Like many countries, France is seeing its COVID-19 cases rise â€” and nowhere as sharply as its overseas territories of Guadeloupe and Martinique. Low vaccination rates, fueled by suspicion of Paris, help explain the exploding pandemic in the Caribbean islands.
- Court approves seizure of US$400 million in Lafayette frigate scandal CNA 13 Aug 2021 -- The Supreme Court has granted a request to seize over US$400 million in funds from the heirs of Andrew Wang (æ±ªå‚³æµ¦), an arms broker at the center of a scandal involving the Taiwan Navy's purchase of Lafayette frigates from France in the 1990s.
- France, Switzerland Latest European Countries To Suspend Deportations Of Afghans RFE/RL Gandhara 12 Aug 2021 -- France and Switzerland have joined other European countries in announcing a suspension of deportations to Afghanistan due to the deteriorating security situation in the country as the Taliban presses its offensive across Afghanistan.
- Coast guard denies report of French warship anchoring off Taiwan CNA 12 Aug 2021 -- The Coast Guard Administration (CGA) said Thursday there was no truth to a social media report that a French military vessel had anchored in waters off Taiwan's west coast the previous day.
- Taiwan confirms anchoring of French warship off its west coast CNA 12 Aug 2021 -- A French naval warship has anchored in waters off the coast of Changhua County's Fangyuan Township, an official from Taiwan's Coast Guard Administration (CGA) confirmed on Thursday without disclosing any further details.
- Macron: COVID-19 Situation in France 'More Than Difficult' Due to Delta Strain Sputnik 11 Aug 2021 -- French President Emmanuel Macron on Wednesday said that the COVID-19 situation in the country is getting very tough in light of the spread of the Delta virus variant.
- France Urges Iran To Resume Talks On Reviving 2015 Nuke Deal RFE/RL 09 Aug 2021 -- French President Emmanuel Macron has urged Iran to resume talks on reviving the 2015 nuclear deal with world powers but Iran's new hard-line president, Ebrahim Raisi, says that Iran's "rights" must first be guaranteed.
- France, Italy gripped by mass protests over new COVID restrictions Press TV 08 Aug 2021 -- Protesters have staged street rallies in France and Italy against COVID restrictions, which they say infringe on their civil liberties.
- G7 Foreign Ministers' Statement on the MV Mercer Street Attack US Dept. of State 06 Aug 2021 -- The text of the following statement was released by the G7 foreign ministers of Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, the United Kingdom and the United States of America and the High Representative of the European Union.
- Donors' Conference Aims to Boost Lebanese a Year After Beirut Blast VOA 03 Aug 2021 -- France hopes to secure more than $350 million in humanitarian aid for Lebanon's crisis-battered population at a donors' conference it co-hosts with the United Nations Wednesday â€” marking the year anniversary of Beirut's deadly port blast. International pressure is growing for Lebanon's fractious parties to unify and push through reforms.
- Protests Swell in France Over COVID Measures as Cases Rise VOA 01 Aug 2021 -- After a slow start, the European Union has now overtaken the United States in vaccinating its citizens against COVID-19. Anti-vaccine resistance remains, including in France, where officials estimate more than 200,000 people joined demonstrations this weekend to protest a mandatory health pass.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list