Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
July 2021 - France Special Weapons News
- Russia calls on Britain, France to join wider nuclear talks with US Press TV 30 Jul 2021 -- Russia has called on Britain and France to join wider nuclear arms control talks with the United States even as Washington wants China to be included in the negotiations.
- British Transportation Minister Defends Quarantining French Visitors VOA 30 Jul 2021 -- Britain's transportation minister Friday defended the country's decision to continue quarantine requirements on fully vaccinated French visitors, saying they do not want to take chances on thwarting their COVID-19 vaccination program.
- France Calls British Travel Rules 'Discriminatory,' Not Science-Based VOA 29 Jul 2021 -- France's European Affairs Minister on Thursday called Britain's decision to lift quarantine requirements for all fully vaccinated travelers arriving from Europe except France "discriminatory and incomprehensible" and said he hopes it is reviewed as soon as possible.
- 'Discriminatory, excessive': France irked by UK's decision to maintain quarantine against French travelers Press TV 29 Jul 2021 -- The French government has expressed anger at the UK's decision to end quarantine for arrivals from most of Europe, except for France.
- Russia Wants Britain, France To Join Wider Nuclear Talks With U.S. RFE/RL 29 Jul 2021 -- Russia says it wants Britain and France to become part of wider nuclear arms control talks with the United States as Washington continues to seek China's inclusion in the negotiations.
- Macron fails to apologize to French Polynesia over nuclear tests Press TV 28 Jul 2021 -- France's President Emmanuel Macron has failed to apologize to French Polynesia over nuclear tests carried out in the South Pacific territory between 1966 and 1996 which had devastating impacts.
- Defence Secretary praises UK-France co-operation as RAF helicopters help Mali recovery mission UK MOD 27 Jul 2021 -- RAF Chinooks supporting the French-led counter-terror operation in Mali assisted recovery operations after a French Mirage 2000 jet crew ejected from the aircraft
- Joint statement by the French and British Ministries for Foreign Affairs and for Defence following 2+2 meeting in Paris UK FCDO 26 Jul 2021 -- High-level Franco-British bilateral consultations were held today in a "2+2" format of Foreign and Defence Ministers, within the unique framework set by the 2010 Lancaster House Treaty and based on our shared security and defence interests.
- UK and France sign new security treaty to protect passengers on Channel ferries UK FCDO 26 Jul 2021 -- Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab and Home Secretary Priti Patel agree a new maritime security treaty between the UK and France.
- U.S.-Europe CommuniquÃ© on Afghanistan and Peace Efforts The White House 23 Jul 2021 -- The following is the text of a communiquÃ© issued by the United States of America, the European Union, France, Germany, Italy, NATO, Norway, and the United Kingdom.
- Macron changes phone in wake of Israeli spyware reports Press TV 23 Jul 2021 -- French President Emmanuel Macron has changed his phone and phone number in light of allegations that Israel's Pegasus spyware might have targeted him, a presidency official has said.
- French President Emmanuel Macron Changes His Phone and Number Amid Pegasus Spyware Scandal Sputnik 22 Jul 2021 -- The president's phone was on a list of 50,000 possible targets of the spyware program that was developed for state espionage on terrorists and criminals. According to a large-scale media investigation, some governments purportedly used the Israeli-made spy tool to wiretap human rights activists, journalists, and even foreign politicians.
- President Macron Orders Probes Into Pegasus Spyware Case, Prime Minister Castex Says Sputnik 21 Jul 2021 -- French newspaper Le Monde reported that President Emmanuel Macron's phone has been identified as a possible target of Pegasus spyware, which recently made headlines after a journalistic investigation found that it had been used to spy on thousands of politicians, businesspeople, and journalists worldwide.
- Israel spyware used to target France's Macron, Iraq's Salih, Morocco's King Mohammed Press TV 21 Jul 2021 -- An Israeli spyware used to snoop on human rights activists and journalists worldwide has also targeted the phones of top French, Iraqi, and Moroccan leaders and 15,000 Mexicans, reports say.
- French Jet Crashes in Mali, Crew Rescued, Defense Ministry Says Sputnik 20 Jul 2021 -- A French Mirage 2000D jet crashed in the north Mali, with pilots on board having ejected, the French Defense Ministry said on Tuesday.
- France Opens Probe Into Spyware As Global Scandal Over Israeli Program Grows RFE/RL 20 Jul 2021 -- French prosecutors have opened an investigation into allegations that journalists of a local investigative news website had been spied on using an Israeli program at the center of an international scandal.
- Morocco Reportedly Tried to Use Pegasus Spyware to Tap Macron's Phone Sputnik 20 Jul 2021 -- On Sunday, media discovered that the phones of at least 50,000 people around the world had been targeted using the powerful Israeli-made military-grade spyware. Paris called the revelations "shocking," with the Paris prosecutor's office opening a formal investigation after receiving complaints from French journalists who said they'd been targeted.
- Naval Group and the Fleet Support Service sign a new contract for the operational maintenance of the French Navy's nuclear attack submarines Naval Group 19 Jul 2021 -- Naval Group and the Fleet Support Service have signed a contract for the operational maintenance of the French Navy's nuclear attack submarines (SSN) which will be in force for over three years and is worth several hundred million euros
- INS TABAR COMPLETES MARITIME PARTNERSHIP EXERCISE WITH FRENCH NAVY India PIB 19 Jul 2021 -- INS Tabar, on completion of port visit to Brest, France undertook maritime partnership exercise with FNS Aquitaine, a French naval Frigate in the Bay of Biscay on 15 and 16 Jul 21. A twin engine helicopter (NH 90) from FNS Aquitaine and four Rafale fighter aircraft from French Navy also participated in the exercise.
- UK Carrier Strike Group to exercise with Indo-Pacific partners UK MOD 19 Jul 2021 -- The Strike Group will undertake a series of exercises with forces from the US, Australia, France, Japan, New Zealand and Korea in the Philippine Sea in August.
- INS TABAR AT PORT OF BREST, FRANCE India PIB 16 Jul 2021 -- As part of the ongoing Overseas Deployment, INS Tabar entered the Port of Brest, France on 12 July 21. The ship was received by a Ceremonial Guard of the French Navy on arrival in Port.
- Secretary Blinken's Meeting with French Foreign Minister Le Drian US Dept. of State 15 Jul 2021
- Statement by NSC Spokesperson Emily Horne on National Security Advisor Jake Sullivan's Meeting with Foreign Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian of France The White House 14 Jul 2021
- Secretary of Defense Lloyd J. Austin III and French Minister of the Armed Forces Florence Parly Opening Remarks at Bilateral Meeting DoD 09 Jul 2021
- Readout of Secretary of Defense Lloyd Austin's Bilateral Meeting With France Minister of the Armed Forces Florence Parly DoD 09 Jul 2021
- French, U.S. Defense Leaders Discuss Ways to Further Cooperation DoD News 09 Jul 2021 -- Secretary of Defense Lloyd J. Austin III welcomed French Minister of the Armed Forces Florence Parly to the Pentagon today and discussed myriad ways the United States and France can work together.
- IAEA report on Iran producing enriched uranium metal: E3 statement UK FCDO 06 Jul 2021 -- The Foreign Ministers of the governments of France, Germany and the United Kingdom respond to the latest IAEA report on Iranian production of enriched uranium.
- Russian Forces Monitor French Reconnaissance Ship in Sea of Japan Sputnik 05 Jul 2021 -- The forces of Russia's Eastern Military District have been monitoring French reconnaissance ship the Dupuy de Lome, which has been operating in the Sea of Japan since 5 July, the Russian Defence Ministry's National Defence Control Centre said on Monday.
- Rafale Deal With India Being Scrutinised in France, Judicial Probe Launched: Reports Sputnik 03 Jul 2021 -- A report published by French investigative website Mediapart revealed that a newly-appointed judge has begun a fresh investigation into a "highly sensitive" case of alleged "corruption and favouritism" in the 2016 $9.3 billion Rafale contract of 2016 with India.
- Telephone conversation with President of France Emmanuel Macron President of Russia 02 Jul 2021 -- Vladimir Putin had a telephone conversation with President of the French Republic Emmanuel Macron at the latter's initiative.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list