Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
May 2021 - France Special Weapons News
- France, England Widen Availability of COVID-19 Vaccines VOA 31 May 2021 -- To fight a rise in cases caused by the coronavirus variants, France and England moved Monday to increase vaccinations.
- Amid France's Africa Reset, Old Ties Underscore Challenge of Breaking With Past VOA 31 May 2021 -- After outlining a fresh chapter in French-African relations, with calls for massive economic support for Africa and visits to Rwanda and South Africa last week, President Emmanuel Macron is back home to confront familiar and thorny problems in France's former colonies, underscoring the challenges of breaking with the past.
- Iran Confirms French Citizen Charged With Spying, Propaganda RFE/RL 30 May 2021 -- The lawyer for a French tourist detained in Iran a year ago says Iranian prosecutors have confirmed that his client will be tried on charges of espionage and "propaganda against the system."
- Statement by the Co-Chairs of the OSCE Minsk Group, Geneva, 28 May 2021 Russia Ministry of Foreign Affairs 28 May 2021 -- The Co-Chairs of the OSCE Minsk Group (Igor Popov of the Russian Federation, Stephane Visconti of France, and Andrew Schofer of the United States of America) released the following statement today:
- G7 Foreign Ministers' Statement on Belarus US Dept. of State 27 May 2021 -- The text of the following statement was released by the G7 foreign ministers of Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, the United Kingdom and the United States of America and the High Representative of the European Union.
- The French FS Forbin destroys a supersonic target with a combat loaded Aster 30 fire during At-Sea Demo/Formidable Shield 2021 US Navy 27 May 2021 -- The sea off the Scottish coast is rough on May 21, 2021. As part of the international force deployed for At-Sea Demo/Formidable Shield, the French anti-air warfare destroyer (AAWD) Forbin is assigned a simulated mission to protect the priority maritime facilities of an Allied country. In this scenario, the crew is at battle stations and the surface-to-air missile defence system, PAAMS , is ready to fire.
- U.S. Navy destroyer joins French Carrier Strike Group in the Mediterranean US Navy 27 May 2021 -- The Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Thomas Hudner (DDG 116) joined French Navy Charles de Gaulle Strike Group (CDG CSG), May 26, 2021 in the Mediterranean in support of joint operations and interoperability training, demonstrating mutual commitment to stability and security throughout the European Region.
- France Had Role in 1994 Rwanda Genocide, Macron Says VOA 27 May 2021 -- French President Emmanuel Macron was in Rwanda's capital Thursday, where he acknowledged France's role in the 1994 Rwandan genocide and said he hoped for forgiveness.
- U.S., French enhance interoperability over the Horn of Africa AFRICOM 26 May 2021 -- U.S. Marine Corps and French Air Force members demonstrated joint capabilities over the Horn of Africa, May 24, 2021.
- Parramatta joins French task group for training Australia DOD 26 May 2021 -- HMAS Parramatta has joined French Navy Marine Nationale vessels FS Tonnerre and FS Surcouf â€” operating as the Jeanne d'Arc Task Group â€” to complete a cooperative passage through the South China Sea.
- Joint Statement by the Secretary of State of the United States of America, the Foreign Secretary of the United Kingdom, and the Foreign Ministers of France, Germany, and Italy US Dept. of State 25 May 2021 -- The following statement was released by United States Secretary of State Antony J. Blinken, French Foreign Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian, German Foreign Minister Heiko Maas, Italian Foreign Minister Luigi Di Maio, and UK Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab on Syria's presidential election.
- French, Japanese and U.S. Navies Build Logistics Network, Strengthen Relationships US Navy 24 May 2021 -- Combined logistics planning by the French Navy, Japan Maritime Self Defense Force (JMSDF) and the U.S. Navy culminated in ships from each country exercising its ability to sustain each other at sea.
- French army chief dismisses UN report into deadly Mali wedding airstrike as 'biased' Press TV 23 May 2021 -- The top French military officer has dismissed as "biased" a United Nations report into an airstrike that killed at least 19 civilians in Mali early this year, alleging that it sought to turn the local people in the Sahel region against France.
- Syria censures France's interventionist remarks on presidential vote Press TV 23 May 2021 -- The Syrian government has lambasted the French foreign ministry's interventionist remarks about the presidential vote in the Arab country, stressing that only Syrians have the final word in the matter and no foreign party is allowed to meddle in Syria's affairs.
- Secretary General praises France, discusses NATO summit with President Macron NATO 21 May 2021 -- Secretary General Jens Stoltenberg met with French President Emmanuel Macron in Paris on Friday (21 May 2021) to discuss preparations for the upcoming NATO Summit on 14 June.
- Macron: France Wants to Revitalise Alliance With NATO Sputnik 21 May 2021 -- The French president previously called the alliance "brain-dead" after the US, under the administration of Donald Trump, started to scale down its commitments to defending Europe.
- Readout of Under Secretary of Defense for Policy Dr. Colin Kahl Virtual Meeting with France, Germany, and the UK DoD 20 May 2021
- Readout of Under Secretary of Defense for Policy Dr. Colin Kahl Call With France Director General for International Relations and Strategy Alice Guitton DoD 19 May 2021
- Israel-Palestinian Conflict Rages, France Proposes UNSC Resolution Urging Cease-fire VOA 19 May 2021 -- Despite multiple attempts by regional and international parties to bring about a cease-fire, violence between Israel and Palestinian militants in the Gaza Strip persisted Wednesday with Israeli airstrikes in Gaza City and militant cross-border rocket fire.
- France, Germany, Spain push ahead with fighter jet project Deutsche Welle 17 May 2021 -- With billions of euros on the line, Spain, France and Germany agreed on the next stage of building a new European fighter jet. An early prototype is expected to take flight in 2027.
- France Announces Support to Sudan during Africa Financing Talks VOA 17 May 2021 -- France said it will cancel $5 billion in debt Sudan owes it, and Germany also offered assistance, during back-to-back Paris financing summits targeting Khartoum's democratic transition and Africa's economic rebound from the coronavirus pandemic.
- France Pledges $1.5 Billion to Sudan to Pay Off IMF Loan VOA 17 May 2021 -- France announced Monday that it will grant Sudan a $1.5 billion loan to help the north African country pay off its debt to the International Monetary Fund.
- Secretary Blinken's Call with French Foreign Minister Le Drian US Dept. of State 16 May 2021
- Under France's pressure, EU prepares sanctions on Lebanese politicians Press TV 12 May 2021 -- Under France's growing pressure, the European Union (EU) is drawing up sanctions against some Lebanese politicians who the bloc claims are obstructing the formation of a new government in the Arab country.
- France, Britain Fearful of Resurgent Jihadist Threat After Lockdown VOA 11 May 2021 -- Nearly 200 jihadists imprisoned in France are due to be released over the next two years and French security officials are pressing French lawmakers to approve fresh antiterrorist measures to impose enhanced restrictions on those freed and to give police new legal powers to fight terrorism.
- USS New Orleans Participates in ARC 21 US Navy 11 May 2021 -- San Antonio-class amphibious transport dock USS New Orleans (LPD 18) joins the Royal Australian Navy, French Armed Forces, Japan Self-Defense Forces and other U.S. Forces for exercise Jeanne D'Arc (ARC) 21, May 11.
- French Army Rejects 'Non-Credible' Claims of 'Brewing Civil War' in France Sputnik 10 May 2021 -- The Defence Staff of the French Army doubted the existence of servicemen who allegedly wrote a new open letter warning of the "civil war" in the country, and its credibility due to anonymity, BFM TV stated on Monday.
- Second Open Letter by French Soldiers Warns of Civil Insurrection VOA 10 May 2021 -- Disquiet is growing within France's military ranks, with the publication of a second open letter â€” this time by serving soldiers â€” warning growing Islamism, delinquency and violence threaten the country's very survival.
- France threatens more punitive measures against Lebanese officials over political deadlock: FM People's Daily 08 May 2021 -- French Foreign Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian said here on Friday that France is prepared to prevent Lebanese officials involved in corruption from entering it, threatening to impose tougher sanctions if political deadlock persists in Lebanon, the National News Agency (NNA) reported.
- France's Macron backs COVID-19 vaccine patent waiver People's Daily 07 May 2021 -- French President Emmanuel Macron on Thursday said he backed the proposal for a waiver of intellectual property rights on COVID-19 vaccines to boost production and accelerate rollout globally to end the pandemic.
- U.S.-Europe CommuniquÃ© on the Afghan Peace Process US Dept. of State 07 May 2021 -- The following is the text of a communiquÃ© issued by the United States of America, European Union, France, Germany, Italy, NATO, Norway, and the United Kingdom on the Afghan Peace Process.
- Statement by France, Germany, Italy, Spain and the United Kingdom on Israeli Settlements UK FCDO 06 May 2021 -- The governments of France, Germany, Italy, Spain, and the UK have issued a statement on Israeli Settlements
- Tensions Ease Over Britain-France Fishing Spat VOA 06 May 2021 -- Tensions between Britain and France regarding fishing rights eased late Thursday as Britain withdrew two naval ships from the waters around the British island of Jersey where French fishermen had staged a protest.
- France Sends 3 More Rafale Fighter Jets to India Sputnik 06 May 2021 -- Three French-made Rafale fighter jets have taken off to India to join the Indian Air Force (IAF) squadron, the Indian Embassy in France said.
- France summons Russian ambassador over sanctions against EU officials Press TV 05 May 2021 -- Russian Ambassador to France Alexei Meshkov has been summoned to the country's Foreign Ministry over Moscow's decision to impose retaliatory sanctions on a number of European officials.
- Iranian Diplomat's 20-Year Sentence For French Bomb Plot Confirmed RFE/RL 05 May 2021 -- An Iranian diplomat's 20-year prison sentence in Belgium for plotting to bomb an opposition rally outside Paris has been confirmed after he dropped plans to appeal.
- Secretary Blinken's Meeting with French Foreign Minister Le Drian US Dept. of State 04 May 2021
- Egypt acquires 30 additional Rafale fighters Dassault Aviation 04 May 2021 -- The Arab Republic of Egypt has decided to purchase an additional 30 Rafales to equip its air force.
- France to sell 30 Rafale fighter jets to Egypt in $4.5B deal TRT 04 May 2021 -- Egypt's defence ministry said the sale would be financed through a loan to be repaid over at least 10 years.
- Egypt Purchases 30 More French Rafale Fighter Jets to Boost 'National Security' Sputnik 04 May 2021 -- French Defence Minister Florence Parly hailed the Rafale deal between the two strategic allies as something that she stressed would be of importance to her country's sovereignty.
- G-7 Foreign Ministers Meet in London as Russia, China Top Agenda VOA 04 May 2021 -- Foreign ministers of the Group of Seven (G-7) industrialized nations are meeting in London this week, with climate change, Russia and China among the challenges topping the agenda. It is the first face-to-face G-7 meeting in two years, after the coronavirus pandemic forced the Pittsburgh 2020 foreign ministers' meeting to be held via video link.
- UK unites G7 to take action against democratic threats UK FCDO 04 May 2021 -- At the London G7 Foreign and Development Ministers' Meeting, leading democracies will discuss global issues that threaten to undermine democracy and human rights.
- Talk of Coups Unnerves France VOA 04 May 2021 -- Paris is once again full of rumblings about the political ambitions of the French military â€” 60 years after France's iconic leader Charles de Gaulle saw off a coup bid by disaffected generals, who were furious at his decision to withdraw from Algeria.
- French prosecutors request judges drop case over Rwanda massacre Press TV 03 May 2021 -- French prosecutors have asked judges to drop a case against five senior military officers accused of complicity in the 1994 Rwanda genocide, in which some 800,000 people from the ethnic Tutsi minority were massacred.
- French rendezvous for Anzac and Sirius Australia DOD 03 May 2021 -- Naval Task Groups from Australia and France have conducted a bilateral transit in the South China Sea, carrying out a series of training exercises along the way.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list