Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
April 2021 - France Special Weapons News
- France, Australia, UK, U.S. Conduct Mine Countermeasures Exercise in the Arabian Gulf US Navy 29 Apr 2021 -- The French Marine Nationale, Royal Australian Navy, Royal Navy, and U.S. Navy participated in multi-lateral mine countermeasures (MCM) exercise Artemis Trident (AT) 21 in the Arabian Gulf, April 18-29.
- Macron Unveils France's 4-Phase Plan Out of COVID-19 Lockdown Sputnik 29 Apr 2021 -- French President Emmanuel Macron announced on Thursday a four-phase national reopening plan that involves a gradual lifting of COVID-19 curfew and travel restrictions, including for foreign arrivals.
- India, France navies conclude bilateral exercise People's Daily 29 Apr 2021 -- India and France concluded their three-day bilateral exercise VARUNA-2021 in the Arabian Sea, confirmed an Indian Navy official on Wednesday.
- EXERCISE VARUNA â€“ 2021 CONCLUDED India PIB 28 Apr 2021 -- The 19th edition oftheIndian and French Navy bilateral exercise 'VARUNA-2021' concluded on 27th April 2021.
- French govt. threatens to punish military officials critical of Macron Press TV 27 Apr 2021 -- The French government has threatened to punish the military officials and servicemen that signed a letter criticizing President Emmanuel Macron's policies toward the country's refugee crisis, social security, and the Muslim world.
- Total declares Force Majeure on Mozambique LNG project TOTAL 26 Apr 2021 -- Considering the evolution of the security situation in the north of the Cabo Delgado province in Mozambique, Total confirms the withdrawal of all Mozambique LNG project personnel from the Afungi site. This situation leads Total, as operator of Mozambique LNG project, to declare force majeure.
- Paris-Area Knife Assailant Viewed Jihadist Videos Prior to Attack, Officials Say VOA 25 Apr 2021 -- A fifth person is being held for questioning in the stabbing death late last week of a police employee outside Paris, France's anti-terrorism prosecutor said Sunday. He noted the assailant, a Tunisian national, viewed videos glorifying jihad, or Muslim holy war, and may have visited to a Muslim prayer hall before the attack.
- France reports 5,962 COVID-19 patients in intensive care units SPA 23 Apr 2021 -- French health authorities reported that 5,962 people were in intensive care units with COVID-19 on Friday, 19 fewer than a day earlier, but the figure remains at a very high level as the country prepares to exit its third lockdown, Reuters reported.
- French Police Administrator Killed in Knife attack VOA 23 Apr 2021 -- French authorities have detained three people and opened a terrorism investigation after a man attacked and killed a police administrator Friday with a knife at a police station in a Paris suburb.
- Japan, US, France to hold first major drill amid tensions with China Press TV 23 Apr 2021 -- Japan, the United States, and France are set to hold joint military drills for the first time next month, amid rising tensions with China over the East and South China Seas.
- French Foreign Minister Backs Chad's Transitional Military Council VOA 22 Apr 2021 -- France's foreign minister is defending the takeover of Chad's government by a transitional military council.
- Former Colonial Power France Feels Loss After Death of Chad's President VOA 21 Apr 2021 -- Few countries are feeling the loss of Chad's President Idriss Deby more keenly than former colonial power France. Paris has long seen Deby as a key ally in the fight against terrorism in the Sahel. Now some observers say his death brings uncertainty to this campaign â€” and France's hopes for an eventual drawdown of its Barkhane force in the region.
- Pakistan Lawmakers To Vote To Expel French Ambassador After Protests RFE/RL Gandhara 20 Apr 2021 -- Pakistan's interior minister says the government will seek a vote in parliament to expel the French ambassador after violent anti-France protests by Islamists.
- Pakistan parliament to decide on French envoy expulsion after anti-France protests Press TV 20 Apr 2021 -- Pakistan's parliament is set to vote on whether to expel the French ambassador over the publication of derogatory cartoons of Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) in France, which sparked large-scale protests in the Asian country.
- Pakistan Lawmakers Debate French Envoy's Expulsion VOA 20 Apr 2021 -- Pakistan's parliament began debating a resolution Tuesday on whether the French ambassador should be ordered to leave the country over the publication of anti-Islam caricatures in France.
- France 'bears significant responsibility' for enabling 1994 Rwanda genocide: Report Press TV 19 Apr 2021 -- France "bears significant responsibility" for enabling the 1994 Rwanda genocide, according to an inquiry commissioned by Kigali, but it has refused to acknowledge its role in the mass murder.
- Ukraine, France, Germany, And Russia Meet To Discuss Leaders Summit RFE/RL 19 Apr 2021 -- Top advisers to the leaders of Ukraine, Russia, France, and Germany will hold consultations on April 19 to chart a path for a possible summit aimed at easing tensions in eastern Ukraine.
- Russia urges leaders of France, Germany to help ease Ukraine tensions Press TV 16 Apr 2021 -- Russia has urged the leaders of France and Germany to help stop Ukraine's "provocative" actions in the restive east of the country and to encourage Kiev to observe ceasefire agreements in its long-running conflict with ethnic Russians there.
- Ukraine To Consult With France, Germany On Russian Military Buildup RFE/RL 16 Apr 2021 -- French President Emmanuel Macron and German Chancellor Angela Merkel were to hold talks with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskiy on April 16 in a show of support for Kyiv amid concerns about a buildup of Russian troops along the border with Ukraine and in occupied Crimea.
- Iraq Investigates Irbil Drone Attack, Gets Support from US, Europe VOA 16 Apr 2021 -- France, Germany, Italy, Britain and the U.S. vowed Friday to support the Iraqi government's investigation into a drone attack at Irbil airport Wednesday.
- U.S., French Carrier Strike Groups Conduct Dual Carrier Operations in 5th Fleet US Navy 15 Apr 2021 -- The Dwight D. Eisenhower Carrier Strike Group (IKE CSG), began dual-carrier flight operations with the French Navy (Marine Nationale) Charles de Gaulle Carrier Strike Group in the Arabian Sea, April 13.
- COVID-19 Deaths Among Oldest Europeans Reach Lowest Level Since Pandemic Began VOA 15 Apr 2021 -- COVID-19 cases are declining among Europeans 80 and older and death rates in the age group are at the lowest level since the pandemic began, according to a World Health Organization official.
- UK Records 2,491 New Cases of COVID-19 SPA 15 Apr 2021 -- The United Kingdom recorded 2,491 new cases of the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) and 38 deaths, during the past 24 hours.
- France Records 43,505 New COVID-19 Cases SPA 15 Apr 2021 -- France reported 43,505 new confirmed COVID-19 cases and 297 deaths, during the past 24 hours.
- France Advises Citizens To Leave Pakistan Due To 'Serious Threats' RFE/RL Gandhara 15 Apr 2021 -- France is advising its citizens and companies to temporarily leave Pakistan following violent anti-French rallies in the South Asian nation.
- France Advises Citizens to Leave Pakistan for Security Reasons VOA 15 Apr 2021 -- France advised its citizens and companies Thursday to temporarily leave Pakistan, citing "serious threats to French interests" in the South Asian nation.
- Secretary Blinken's Meeting with French, German, Italian, and UK Counterparts US Dept. of State 14 Apr 2021
- France suspends all flights with Brazil due to virus variant People's Daily 14 Apr 2021 -- France has decided to suspend all flights to and from Brazil to contain the spread of the coronavirus variant detected in the South American country, Prime Minister Jean Castex told the National Assembly on Tuesday.
- Statement by the Co-Chairs of the OSCE Minsk Group OSCE 13 Apr 2021 -- The Co-Chairs of the OSCE Minsk Group (Igor Popov of the Russian Federation, Stephane Visconti of France, and Andrew Schofer of the United States of America) released the following statement today:
- EU Prepared to Sanction Turkey If 'Aggressive Stance' Persists, Senior French Diplomat Says Sputnik 13 Apr 2021 -- The European Union has a ready package of measures, including sanctions, against Turkey in case if it fails to abandon the "aggressive stance" in various issues of international significance, French Minister of State for European Affairs Clement Beaune said on Tuesday.
- G7 Foreign Ministers' Statement on the Situation Along Ukraine's Borders US Dept. of State 12 Apr 2021 -- The text of the following statement was released by the G7 foreign ministers of Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, the United Kingdom and the United States of America and the High Representative of the European Union.
- Secretary Blinken's Call with French Foreign Minister Le Drian US Dept. of State 09 Apr 2021
- Congress Party Accuses Modi Gov't of Compromising India's Security, Kickbacks in Rafale Deal Sputnik 09 Apr 2021 -- French publication Mediapart had recently published a series of investigative reports claiming that jet manufacturer Dassault Aviation had paid 1 million Euros to an Indian middleman as part of the high-profile Rafale fighter jet deal to supply 36 aircraft from France to India.
- In interventionist position, France FM threatens sanctions on Lebanese politicians Press TV 08 Apr 2021 -- French Foreign Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian has threatened sanctions on "well-known political officials" in Lebanon, who, he claims, are obstructing the formation of a new government in the cash-strapped Arab country, as Paris apparently pushes harder to impose its own will on its former colony.
- Multinational Naval Forces Conduct Exercise La Perouse US Navy 06 Apr 2021 -- USS Somerset (LPD 25) joins units from the Royal Australian Navy, French Navy, Indian Navy, and the Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force to participate in the third iteration of La Perouse, April 5, 2021.
- Rafale Jet Deal: French Report Claims Dassault Paid $1.17 Million to Indian Middleman Sputnik 05 Apr 2021 -- In September 2016, the Narendra Modi government placed an order with the French manufacturer Dassault Aviation to purchase 36 new Rafale fighter jets for the Indian Air Force. The delivery is set to be completed by 2022.
- Indian Navy Ships and Aircraft to participate in exercise La Perouse India PIB 05 Apr 2021 -- Indian Navy Ships INS Satpura (with an integral helicopter embarked) and INS Kiltan alongwith P8I Long Range Maritime Patrol Aircraft are participating, for the first time; in multi-lateral maritime exercise La PĂ©rouse, being conducted in the Eastern Indian Ocean Region from 05 to 07 Apr 2021. The
- India Taking Part in French-Led La Perouse Drills in Bay of Bengal This Week Sputnik 05 Apr 2021 -- Indian warships and aircraft are set to participate in the French-led La Perouse joint naval exercise between the navies of the Quadrilateral Security Dialogue (Quad) member states scheduled to take place from Monday through Wednesday in the Bay of Bengal, India's Defence Ministry said.
- France calls on Iran to be 'constructive' at nuclear talks in Vienna ISNA 04 Apr 2021 -- French Foreign Minister Jean-Yves Le Drian has called on Iran to show a constructive stance in talks to be held in Vienna next week.
- France Reports 5,273 People in Intensive Care Units for COVID-19 SPA 03 Apr 2021 -- France reported on Saturday that 5,273 people were in intensive care units for COVID-19, a rise of 19 from the previous day, Reuters reported.
- Iran, France discuss JCPOA Joint Commission meeting on phone IRNA 03 Apr 2021 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif and his French counterpart Jean-Yves Le Drian discussed the continuation of the Joint Commission of the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) over a phone on Saturday.
- France's daily count of COVID-19 cases tops 50,000 again ahead of new lockdown People's Daily 02 Apr 2021 -- France logged 50,659 new COVID-19 cases on Thursday, the second day seeing over 50,000 infections after 59,038 cases were reported on Wednesday.
- G7 Foreign Ministers' Statement on the Situation in Tigray, Ethiopia US Dept. of State 02 Apr 2021 -- The text of the following statement was released by the G7 foreign ministers of Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, the United Kingdom and the United States of America and the High Representative of the European Union.
- Report on France's Role in Rwanda's Genocide Fails to Lay to Rest a Dark Past VOA 01 Apr 2021 -- French President Emmanuel Macron will reportedly visit Kigali in coming weeks, following a report he commissioned which sheds a harsh light on France's alleged role in Rwanda's 1994 genocide.
- UNHCR urges greater protection for Sahel communities after deadly attack UN News 01 Apr 2021 -- Ten days after armed groups carried out a deadly attack on three villages near the western Niger town of Tillia, UN humanitarians have repeated their call for greater protection of civilians and all those displaced by violence in the Sahel.
- France Rejects UN Report of Airstrike on Wedding Party VOA 01 Apr 2021 -- France is rejecting a U.N. report that said a French air strike in central Mali in January killed 19 civilians as part of anti-terrorist operations in the Sahel.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list