Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
February 2021 - France Special Weapons News
- Cyberattacks on French Hospitals Linked to Mafia, Not Foreign Involvement, Official Says Sputnik 25 Feb 2021 -- French Secretary of State for the Digital Economy Cedric O on Thursday told the France 2 broadcaster that it was mafia-linked groups rather than foreign interference behind recent cyberattacks on French hospitals and related leaks of patient data.
- French Prime Minister: 20 Regions Under 'Reinforced Surveillance' for COVID-19 VOA 25 Feb 2021 -- French Prime Minister Jean Castex announced Thursday that 20 French regions or departments, including Paris and surrounding areas, will be under "reinforced surveillance" for COVID-19 and could be placed under weekend lockdowns beginning March 6 if infection rates do not improve.
- France Weighs More COVID-19 Restrictions as Infections, Hospitalizations Rise VOA 24 Feb 2021 -- The French government Wednesday said the COVID-19 situation is deteriorating in about 10 French regions, including the Paris-Ile-de-France area around the capital, and said it is considering additional restrictions to address the situation.
- Along with COVID, France's Hospitals Battle Cyberattacks VOA 24 Feb 2021 -- Government officials in France say a number of hospitals have been hit by malware attacks, slowing down operations as they struggle to deal with COVID cases. French President Emmanuel Macron last week announced a plan to defend health facilities from cyber threats.
- France's COVID-19 infections surge by 20,064, deaths top 85,000 People's Daily 24 Feb 2021 -- French health authorities on Tuesday reported 20,064 new coronavirus infections over the past 24 hours, up from 4,646 on Monday and from 19,590 last Tuesday.
- France records 333 coronavirus-related deaths in 24 hours People's Daily 23 Feb 2021 -- France on Monday registered 333 new deaths caused by the coronavirus, and the number of hospitalized patients also increased further, official figures showed.
- For France and Sahel Partners, Many Ideas Emerging But No Clear Strategy VOA 23 Feb 2021 -- Less than a week after a key summit gathering of France and its five regional military partners in the Sahel conflict, fresh casualties in Niger offered a reality check to the high-level discourse on achievements.
- G7 foreign ministers condemn Myanmar junta violence Press TV 23 Feb 2021 -- The Group of Seven (G7) countries has "firmly" condemned the heavy-handed crackdown committed by Myanmar's junta against anti-coup protesters.
- G7 Nations Condemn Myanmar Coup as Some Detained Protesters Are Released Radio Free Asia 23 Feb 2021 -- The Group of Seven industrial democracies on Tuesday condemned the Myanmar military regime's use of violence against protesters rejecting the coup that deposed the democratically elected government of Aung San Suu Kyi more than three weeks ago, while the U.S. slapped sanctions on two junta generals.
- G7 Foreign Ministers' Statement on Burma US Dept. of State 23 Feb 2021 -- The text of the following statement was released by the G7 foreign ministers of Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, the United Kingdom and the United States of America and the High Representative of the European Union.
- E3 foreign ministers' statement on the JCPoA: 23 February 2021 UK FCDO 23 Feb 2021 -- The governments of France, Germany and the United Kingdom respond to Iran's suspension of the Additional Protocol.
- Thales to provide new-generation sonar suite for French Navy's nuclear-powered ballistic-missile submarines (SSBNs) Thales 19 Feb 2021 -- With the launch of full-scale development of France's third generation of nuclear-powered ballistic-missile submarines (SNLE 3G), Thales is developing a new sonar suite based on disruptive technologies that represent a significant break from the systems in service today.
- Statement by the Foreign Ministers of France, Germany, the United Kingdom and the United States of America UK FCDO 18 Feb 2021 -- Today, the Foreign Ministers of the United Kingdom, France, Germany, and the United States of America met in Paris, France. This group recently met on 5 February 2021.
- Rouhani tells Merkel: Adding anything to nuclear deal 'impossible' Press TV 18 Feb 2021 -- Iranian President Hassan Rouhani says it would be "impossible" to modify the country's landmark nuclear agreement, emphasizing that the only way to save the deal is to lift the United States' "inhumane sanctions" on Iran.
- E3, US Call on Iran to Avoid Any Additional Steps to Suspend Nuclear Protocols, Limit IAEA Access Sputnik 18 Feb 2021 -- Earlier, Iran indicated that it would block snap inspections by the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) if parties of the 2015 Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA) failed to fulfill their commitments under the agreement and lift sanctions against Tehran by February 21.
- Blackout in Le Castellet, France After Two Fighter Jets Tear Through Power Lines Sputnik 18 Feb 2021 -- An investigation was launched into the incident, while the French Air and Space Force apologised for it.
- Two Russian Su-27s Intercept French Military Aircraft Heading for Russian Borders Over Black Sea Sputnik 17 Feb 2021 -- Two Russian Su-27 fighters intercepted a group of French military aircraft over the Black Sea and escorted them until they flew away from Russia's borders, the Russian Defense Ministry's National Defence Control Centre (NDCC) told reporters.
- Joint statement: Rocket attacks in Erbil on 15 February 2021 UK FCDO 17 Feb 2021 -- The following statement was released by the US, France, Germany, Italy and the UK following the February 15 attack in the Iraqi Kurdistan Region.
- France's Macron rules out immediate reduction in troop numbers in Sahel Press TV 17 Feb 2021 -- French President Emmanuel Macron has ruled out any immediate decrease in the number of French troops deployed to the Sahel region in West Africa.
- Kremlin Calls French Allegations Of Hacking Campaign 'Absurd' RFE/RL 16 Feb 2021 -- The Kremlin on February 16 dismissed French allegations that hackers linked to Russian intelligence have breached several French organizations as absurd.
- France Says No Troop Withdrawals from Sahel VOA 16 Feb 2021 -- France says it will not draw down its troop presence in Africa's Sahel region, despite earlier reports that it could bring home hundreds of soldiers following significant gains against extremists.
- France's Macron Says Stability, Security in Sahel Crucial For Region, Europe Sputnik 16 Feb 2021 -- French President Emmanuel Macron on Tuesday stressed that curbing the terrorist threat and bringing stability to the African Sahel region was vital in order to ensure the security of Europe.
- VP Harris and France's Macron Discuss Cooperation VOA 16 Feb 2021 -- U.S. Vice President Kamala Harris spoke to French President Emmanuel Macron, expressing her commitment to strengthening bilateral relations, a White House statement said on Monday.
- Readout of Vice President Kamala Harris Call with President Emmanuel Macron of France The White House 15 Feb 2021
- French President Macron Says Russian, Chinese Vaccines Crucial for Beating Coronavirus Sputnik 14 Feb 2021 -- French President Emmanuel Macron has insisted that Russian and Chinese vaccines should play a bigger role in a coordinated global effort to beat the coronavirus pandemic, which he called a "world war."
- E3 Statement on the JCPoA: 12 February 2021 UK FCDO 12 Feb 2021 -- The governments of France, Germany and the United Kingdom respond to Iran's production of uranium metal.
- In rebuke to E3, Iran FM challenges trio to lay out fulfilled JCPOA duties Press TV 12 Feb 2021 -- Iranian Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif has challenged the commitment of the three European parties to the nuclear deal of 2015 signed between Tehran and major world powers after the trio claimed that Iran risks losing the opportunity to fully realize the agreement by starting to produce uranium metal.
- France, Germany, U.K. 'Strongly Urge' Iran To Halt Breach Of Recent Nuclear Deal RFE/RL 12 Feb 2021 -- The so-called E3 European powers have urged Iran to reverse its decision to violate a landmark nuclear deal by producing uranium metal and avoid "noncompliant" steps before it's too late.
- Attack on Abha International Airport, Saudi Arabia: E3 statement UK FCDO 11 Feb 2021 -- The governments of France, Germany and the UK have strongly condemned the attack claimed by the Houthis on Abha International Airport on 10 February.
- U.S. Carrier Strike Groups, French Submarine Complete South China Sea Operations Radio Free Asia 09 Feb 2021 -- Two U.S. aircraft carrier strike groups conducted dual operations in the South China Sea on Tuesday, the latest in a series of U.S. military maneuvers in those turbulent waters.
- India to Receive Entire Fleet of Rafale Fighter Jets From France by April 2022 Sputnik 08 Feb 2021 -- Back in 2016, the Indian government placed an order with the Dassault Aviation aircraft manufacturer for the purchase of 36 new Rafale fighter jets to enhance the capability of the Indian Air Force, which is facing a severe shortage of aircraft.
- NATO plans new center in France amid space militarization Press TV 06 Feb 2021 -- The US-led military alliance of NATO has formally announced plans to create a new space center in France, which already hosts one of the 27 space organizations of the alliance.
- NATO Picks France's Toulouse for New Military Space 'Center of Excellence' Sputnik 06 Feb 2021 -- While the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) has disavowed an interest in militarizing space, several members of the alliance, including the US, UK, and France, have oriented themselves toward conflict in the space domain in recent years.
- Secretary Blinken's Call with French Foreign Minister Le Drian, German Foreign Minister Maas, and UK Foreign Secretary Raab US Dept. of State 05 Feb 2021
- Blinken discusses Iran deal with UK, French, German ministers Press TV 05 Feb 2021 -- US Secretary of State Antony Blinken has discussed Iran with his British, French and German counterparts as they seek to revive the Iran nuclear deal.
- French PM Says No Need for COVID-19 Lockdown for Now VOA 04 Feb 2021 -- French Prime Minister Jean Castex said Thursday that while the COVID-19 pandemic remains serious, he does not think another nationwide lockdown is necessary. But he urged people to take all necessary precautions to avoid contracting the coronavirus.
- Macron Renews Call For Dialogue With Russia, Floats Himself As Broker In U.S.-Iran Talks RFE/RL 04 Feb 2021 -- French President Emmanuel Macron has renewed his call for dialogue with Russia despite what he called its "huge mistake" in jailing opposition politician Aleksei Navalny, and offered to be an "honest broker" in talks between the United States and Iran.
- France Said to Be Mulling Sahel Troop Reduction VOA 04 Feb 2021 -- Observers say France is considering downsizing its military presence as the security situation stabilizes in Africa's Sahel region. French troops and African nations have been fighting together against extremist groups there. The size of the French contingent may soon drastically change.
- G7 Foreign Ministers' Statement on the Situation in Burma US Dept. of State 03 Feb 2021 -- The text of the following statement was released by the G7 foreign ministers of Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, the United Kingdom and the United States of America and the High Representative of the European Union.
- G-7 Condemns Myanmar Coup VOA 03 Feb 2021 -- Foreign ministers from the G-7 group of nations on Wednesday condemned the coup in Myanmar and expressed deep concern about the detention of Aung San Suu Kyi and other political leaders.
- G7 calls for return to political rule in coup-hit Myanmar Press TV 03 Feb 2021 -- Foreign ministers from the Group of Seven (G7) major industrialized countries have expressed deep concern about the recent military coup in Myanmar and the detention of the country's top political leaders.
- France urges Germany to scrap massive gas pipeline project with Russia Press TV 01 Feb 2021 -- France has called on Germany to scrap a massive nearly-finished gas pipeline from Russia in protest over the detention of Western-backed opposition figure Alexei Navalny.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list