Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
September 2022 - North Korea Special Weapons News
- North Korea ballistic missile launch: FCDO statement UK FCDO 30 Sep 2022 -- A Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office spokesperson statement on North Korea's ballistic missile launch on 29 September.
- North Korea Fires Pair of Missiles, Extending Record Pace of Launches VOA 30 Sep 2022 -- North Korea fired two more ballistic missiles into the sea Saturday, adding to its record-breaking pace of launches this year, South Korean officials said.
- North Korea missile tests fail to impress its struggling citizens, sources say Radio Free Asia 30 Sep 2022 -- North Korea's recent spate of missile launches has failed to impress its hard-pressed citizens, many of whom are privately grumbling about the misallocation of money they'd rather see spent relieving their poverty, sources in the country told RFA.
- Supporting Human Rights in North Korea US Dept. of State 30 Sep 2022 -- "As we reflect on North Korea Freedom Week, we recognize the courage of the North Korean defector and human rights community, which continues to speak on behalf of the millions of North Koreans suffering deplorable abuses and who are unable to advocate for themselves."
- North Korea tells officials that 350,000 people died of diseases this year Radio Free Asia 29 Sep 2022 -- North Korean officials have been told that more than 350,000 people in the country died of illnesses over the past year, many likely related to COVID-19, sources told RFA, as authorities began a new vaccination campaign on the country's border with China more than a month after declaring victory over the coronavirus.
- Remarks by Vice President Harris After Tour of the Korean Demilitarized Zone The White House 29 Sep 2022
- Vice President Harris, at DMZ, Condemns North Korea 'Dictatorship' VOA 29 Sep 2022 -- U.S. Vice President Kamala Harris condemned North Korea's "brutal dictatorship" and "destabilizing" weapons program during a visit Thursday to the demilitarized zone separating the two Koreas.
- North Korea Launches Missile, Hours Before Harris DMZ Stop VOA 28 Sep 2022 -- North Korea conducted its second ballistic missile launch this week, hours before U.S. Vice President Kamala Harris was set to visit the demilitarized zone separating North and South Korea.
- Special Representative for the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) Kim's Calls with Republic of Korea (ROK) Special Representative Kim and Japanese Director General Funakoshi US Dept. of State 27 Sep 2022
- North Korea: Naval exercise by US, South driving Korean Peninsula to brink of war Press TV 27 Sep 2022 -- North Korea has warned that joint naval drills by the United States and South Korea, which started on Monday, may trigger an all-out war on the Korean Peninsula.
- North Korea resumes rail trade with China, imports badly needed food and medicine Radio Free Asia 27 Sep 2022 -- North Korea is once again importing large quantities of food and medicine from China as rail trade between the two countries has resumed for the first time since April, sources in both countries told RFA.
- US Vice President Harris to Visit Korean DMZ at end of 5-Day Asia Trip VOA 27 Sep 2022 -- U.S. Vice President Kamala Harris will visit the Demilitarized Zone dividing South and North Korea, White House officials said Tuesday â€” making hers the highest-profile visit to the DMZ by an American official in three years.
- North Korea ballistic missile launch: FCDO statement UK FCDO 26 Sep 2022 -- A Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office spokesperson statement on North Korea's ballistic missile launch on 24 September.
- US, South Korea begin naval war games after North Korea's ballistic missile test Press TV 26 Sep 2022 -- The United States and South Korea have begun their first combined naval war games in five years near the peninsula a day after North Korea carried out another ballistic missile launch amid growing tensions.
- Senators Urge Biden to Increase Pressure on North Korea VOA 24 Sep 2022 -- Two Republican senators have expressed concern to the Biden administration at the growing cooperation between Moscow and Pyongyang over Russia's war in Ukraine.
- North Korea Launches Ballistic Missile into Sea, Says South VOA 24 Sep 2022 -- North Korea has fired a ballistic missile toward the sea off its east coast, South Korea's military said, extending what has already been a record-breaking number of North Korean launches this year.
- Deaths continue a month after North Korea declared 'victory' over COVID Radio Free Asia 23 Sep 2022 -- North Koreans are continuing to test positive for COVID-19 and several have died of starvation during lengthy quarantines more than one month after Pyongyang "declared victory" over the virus, sources in the country told RFA.
- North Korea Denies Exporting Weapons To Russia RFE/RL 22 Sep 2022 -- North Korea's Defense Ministry has denied that it has provided weapons and ammunition to Russia amid the war in Ukraine, calling the allegations "rumors" spread by "hostile forces" aimed at tarnishing Pyongyang's image.
- North Korea inspects air-raid shelters as tensions rise with US Radio Free Asia 22 Sep 2022 -- North Korean officials are inspecting air-raid shelters in factories and other businesses to assess their wartime readiness, although some poorly maintained bunkers are winning approval due to bribes, sources said.
- North Korea Denies Selling Weapons to Russia VOA 21 Sep 2022 -- North Korea on Thursday denied sending weapons to Russia, accusing the United States of spreading rumors about such a sale to tarnish Pyongyang's image.
- North Korea rolls out new software to keep tabs on its officials in China Radio Free Asia 20 Sep 2022 -- North Korea is requiring trade officials dispatched to China to install invasive surveillance software on their smartphones and computers to allow the government to track their phone calls and restrict their online access, sources in China told RFA.
li>North Korea installs more complaint boxes to tackle corruption Radio Free Asia 19 Sep 2022 -- North Korea has started installing complaint boxes at all government facilities as part of an effort to root out corruption, but North Koreans are balking at reporting graft through a system that requires them to provide their names.
- US vows to deploy strategic assets to Korean Peninsula after North's nuclear law Press TV 17 Sep 2022 -- The United States and South Korea have resumed high-level talks on military cooperation amid US pledges of a continued flow of strategic weapons to the Korean Peninsula.
- Kim Jong Unâ€™s reference to COVID vaccine draws wide interest in North Korea Radio Free Asia 16 Sep 2022 -- The North Korean people are eager to be inoculated against COVID-19 after their leader Kim Jong Un discussed vaccines in a policy speech, but authorities have not said when vaccines will become available, sources in the country told RFA.
- Experts: North Korea's New Law on Preemptive Use of Nuclear Weapons Puts Regime at Risk VOA 15 Sep 2022 -- North Korea has put itself in a dangerous situation by ruling out denuclearization and legalizing the use of its nuclear weapons preemptively to strike against adversaries that threaten its leadership, according to experts.
- North Korea Hints at Vaccine Campaign, But No One Knows the Details VOA 15 Sep 2022 -- North Korea has suggested it could soon begin COVID-19 vaccinations, but it remains unclear what vaccines it will use, where it will get them, or how many doses it will administer.
- North Korea eager to restart rail trade with China, Russia Radio Free Asia 15 Sep 2022 -- Economically ailing North Korea desperately wants to resume rail freight with China, and to a lesser extent, Russia, but sources, including a government official, told RFA that the decision to reopen the rails lies with Beijing and Moscow.
- North Korea forces citizens to attend lectures about new nuclear force law Radio Free Asia 14 Sep 2022 -- North Korea is forcing citizens to attend propaganda lectures to promote the newly passed "Nuclear Forces Policy Act," which authorizes leader Kim Jong Un to order a preemptive nuclear strike to counter threats, but people are griping that the lectures waste time while they struggle to make a living, sources in the country told RFA.
- North Korea reinstates mask mandate one month after declaring victory over COVID Radio Free Asia 12 Sep 2022 -- Authorities in North Korea have ordered citizens to again wear masks in public just one month after "declaring victory" over COVID-19, sources in the country told RFA.
- Distance In-service Training for Anti-epidemic Workers Brisk in DPRK KCNA 12 Sep 2022 -- Pyongyang University of Medicine of the DPRK provides a distance in-service training for enhancing the practical ability of anti-epidemic workers.
- DPRK top leader makes policy speech People's Daily 11 Sep 2022 -- Kim Jong Un, the top leader of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), made a policy speech at the seventh session of the 14th Supreme People's Assembly on Thursday, the official Korean Central News Agency reported Saturday.
- Respected Comrade Kim Jong Un Makes Policy Speech at Seventh Session of the 14th SPA of DPRK KCNA 10 Sep 2022 -- The respected Comrade Kim Jong Un made a policy speech at the Seventh Session of the 14th Supreme People's Assembly of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea on September 8.
- Grand Performance Continues to Celebrate Founding Anniversary of DPRK KCNA 10 Sep 2022 -- A grand performance is going on in celebration of the 74th founding anniversary of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea.
- National Flag of DPRK KCNA 10 Sep 2022 -- The Democratic Peopl's Republic of Korea marked its 74th founding anniversary (September 9, 1948).
- US ready to resume talks 'without preconditions' after North Korea's nuclear stance Press TV 10 Sep 2022 -- The Biden administration claims to have no hostile intent towards North Korea and that Washington is willing to resume talks with Pyongyang after the North officially adopted a law declaring the right to use preventive strikes against potential foreign attacks.
- North Korea's best fruit sent to Pyongyang for Chuseok, angering rural residents Radio Free Asia 10 Sep 2022 -- Rural residents in North Korea are complaining that their government is unfairly giving the best quality apples and peaches to citizens of the capital Pyongyang ahead of Saturday's Chuseok holiday, sources in the provinces told RFA.
- Xi Jinping Sends Message of Congratulation to DPRK Supreme Leader Kim Jong Un on the 74th Anniversary of DPRK National Day PRC MofA 09 Sep 2022 -- On September 9, 2022, General Secretary of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of China and President Xi Jinping sent a congratulatory message to Chairman of the Workers' Party of Korea (WPK) and Chairman of the State Affairs Commission of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) Kim Jong Un on the 74th anniversary of DPRK National Day.
- N. Korea says it will never surrender nukes or give up right to self-defense Press TV 09 Sep 2022 -- North Korean leader Kim Jong-un has stressed that his country will never surrender its nuclear arsenal or use it as a bargaining chip for denuclearization with the US, state media said on Friday.
- North Korea's Kim Jong Un says no to giving up nuclear weapons Radio Free Asia 09 Sep 2022 -- North Korea's leader Kim Jong Un has vowed never to surrender the country's nuclear arsenal despite what he said were efforts by the U.S. to destabilize his government, as parliament passed a law greenlighting an "automatic nuclear strike" in response to the threat of attack, state media reported.
- US Policy Unchanged After DPRK Declares Itself Nuclear Weapons State, White House Says Sputnik 09 Sep 2022 -- The United States' policy toward North Korea has not changed after the latter declared itself a nuclear weapons state and Washington will continue to seek diplomatic solution to achieve the goal of demilitarizing the Korean Peninsula, White House spokesperson Karine Jean-Pierre said on Friday.
- Celebrations of 74th Founding Anniversary of DPRK Held with Splendor KCNA 09 Sep 2022 -- The whole country, greeting the 74th founding anniversary of the glorious DPRK, is overflowing with the pride and self-esteem of the people who are demonstrating before the world the might of their socialist motherland dignified with independence and strong in self-reliance along with the century.
- Second-day Sitting of 7th Session of 14th SPA of DPRK Held KCNA 09 Sep 2022 -- The second-day sitting of the 7th Session of the 14th Supreme People's Assembly (SPA) of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) took place at the Mansudae Assembly Hall on September 8.
- Respected Comrade Kim Jong Un Receives Greetings from General Secretary Xi Jinping KCNA 09 Sep 2022 -- Kim Jong Un , general secretary of the Workers' Party of Korea (WPK) and president of the State Affairs of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), received a message of greeting from Xi Jinping, general secretary of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of China (CPC) and president of the People's Republic of China (PRC), on September 9.
- Xi extends congratulations on DPRK's 74th founding anniversary PLA Daily 09 Sep 2022 -- General Secretary of the Communist Party of China Central Committee and Chinese President Xi Jinping on Friday sent a message of congratulations to Kim Jong Un, general secretary of the Workers' Party of Korea and chairman of the State Affairs Commission of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) on the 74th anniversary of the DPRK's founding.
- Law on DPRK's Policy on Nuclear Forces Promulgated KCNA 09 Sep 2022 -- The law of the Supreme People's Assembly of the DPRK on the state policy on the nuclear forces was promulgated on September 8.
- North Korea passes law allowing it to conduct preventive nuclear strikes Press TV 09 Sep 2022 -- North Korea has passed a law, declaring itself a nuclear weapons state and enshrining the right to use preemptive nuclear strikes to protect itself.
- Kim Jong Un: We'll Never Give Up Our Nukes VOA 09 Sep 2022 -- North Korean leader Kim Jong Un on Thursday vowed his country will never give up its nuclear weapons or use them as a bargaining chip in negotiations, the latest sign of Kim's hardened stance toward the United States and its allies.
- North Korea Passes Law Giving Kim Jong Un Right to Take Nuclear Actions if DPRK Attacked Sputnik 08 Sep 2022 -- US and South Korean forces held live-fire exercises last week in drills that simulated attacking the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK).
- Respected Comrade Kim Jong Un Makes Public Works on Self-reliance KCNA 08 Sep 2022 -- The respected Comrade Kim Jong Un made public many famous works on self-reliance with his energetic ideological and theoretical activities from the beginning of the new century of Juche.
- Russia Might Be Buying North Korean Arms. But Are They Reliable? VOA 08 Sep 2022 -- North Korea and Russia may be natural partners for the type of weapons sale alleged by U.S. officials this week, but the possible unreliability of some North Korean arms presents a complication for Russia's military, defense analysts warn.
- South Korea proposes meeting with North on family reunions Press TV 08 Sep 2022 -- South Korea has proposed to hold talks with North Korea in an effort to resume the reunification of families separated since the Korean War, despite ongoing tensions on the Korean Peninsula over Pyongyang's nuclear program.
- Scientific Research Successes Conducive to Promoting People's Health KCNA 08 Sep 2022 -- Officials and researchers of the Academy of Medical Science in the DPRK make scientific research successes conducive to promoting the people's health.
- First-day Sitting of 7th Session of 14th SPA of DPRK Held KCNA 08 Sep 2022 -- The first-day sitting of the 7th Session of the 14th Supreme People's Assembly (SPA) of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) took place at the Mansudae Assembly Hall on Sep. 7.
- Department of State Cybersecurity Training Series Boosts Global Resilience Against Democratic People's Republic of Korea Malware US Dept. of State 07 Sep 2022 -- The Department of State's Bureau of Cyberspace and Digital Policy (CDP) is strengthening international capacity to counter Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) malware by sponsoring a training series for allies and partners around the world.
- Efforts to Cope with Disastrous Abnormal Weather KCNA 07 Sep 2022 -- The emergency anti-epidemic sectors across the country strongly wage the emergency anti-epidemic campaign while increasing rapid counter-action and command control to cope with periodic disastrous abnormal weather and sudden threat.
- North Korea requests Chinese investment for solar power plant Radio Free Asia 07 Sep 2022 -- North Korea is seeking Chinese investment to build a solar power plant that would add more capacity to its tapped out electricity grid, government sources in the isolated country told RFA.
- North Korea Turns to India for Rice Amid Food Shortages VOA 07 Sep 2022 -- Pyongyang appears to be seeking rice donations from India as the regime of Kim Jong Un alerted the nation to prevent flood damage to farmlands from a typhoon passing across its eastern coast.
- U.S. Says Russia Buying North Korean Artillery In Sign That Sanctions Are Weighing On Its Military RFE/RL 06 Sep 2022 -- A declassified U.S. intelligence assessment says Russia is acquiring millions of artillery shells and rockets from North Korea for its six-month-old invasion of Ukraine, in an indication of the effect that Western sanctions are having on the Russian war effort.
- Russia purchasing military equipment from North Korea: US report Press TV 06 Sep 2022 -- Moscow is purchasing military equipment from North Korea after Russian forces' arms shortage due to the conflict in Ukraine, according to an American official cited by US media.
- Measures Taken to Prevent Damage from Typhoon KCNA 06 Sep 2022 -- North Hwanghae Province of the DPRK pushes forward with the work to minimize damage from natural disasters.
- North Korean medical universities ordered to make drugs to cover shortage Radio Free Asia 06 Sep 2022 -- North Korea has ordered all medical schools in the country to begin making and selling basic medicines to cover a shortage brought on by the COVID-19 pandemic, sources in the country told RFA.
- Meeting of Reviewing State's Disaster Prevention Work Held in DPRK KCNA 06 Sep 2022 -- Today when a dynamic struggle for opening up a new phase of development of our style of socialism is being waged, the comprehensive building of a counter-crisis capability to prevent various types of disasters threatening the prosperity of the state and the wellbeing of the people presents itself as a very urgent task.
- Typhoon 11 Affects DPRK with Rain and Shower with Intermittent Torrential Rain KCNA 05 Sep 2022 -- All areas of the DPRK except Ryanggang Province have been being affected by rain and shower accompanied with intermittent torrential rain, being influenced by Typhoon 11 now approaching the country in its northward movement.
- Work for Preventing Damage from Typhoon Brisk in DPRK KCNA 05 Sep 2022 -- With forecasts and warnings of heavy rain, storms and gale being issued across the DPRK, all the industrial establishments push forward with the work to prevent natural disaster through mass movement.
- Efforts Made in DPRK to Prevent Natural Disasters KCNA 04 Sep 2022 -- All sectors and units of the DPRK organize the work to reliably protect the life and property of the country and people from natural disasters in a mobile way.
- Overhauling of Irrigation Facilities Brisk in DPRK KCNA 04 Sep 2022 -- Officials and workers in different parts of the DPRK push forward with the work to overhaul the irrigation facilities.
- Work for Preventing Damage from Typhoon Brisk in DPRK KCNA 04 Sep 2022 -- The land and environment protection sector of the DPRK dynamically wage the work for preventing damage from Typhoon No. 11.
- Atmosphere of Observing Anti-epidemic Rules Intensified in DPRK KCNA 02 Sep 2022 -- All the fields and units of the DPRK are directing all efforts to enhancing the massive anti-epidemic consciousness and intensifying the atmosphere of observing the anti-epidemic rules.
- Measures for Preventing Typhoon and Flood Damage Taken in DPRK KCNA 02 Sep 2022 -- The coal industrial sector of the DPRK has taken relevant measures for preventing typhoon and flood damage.
- S. Korea, Japan, US agree on stern response in case of North's new nuke test Press TV 02 Sep 2022 -- South Korea, Japan and the United States have reportedly reached a consensus on stern measures against a possible new nuclear test by North Korea, warning there would be no soft response if Pyongyang presses ahead with such a move.
- North Korea holds emergency wartime readiness drills for hospitals Radio Free Asia 02 Sep 2022 -- Wartime readiness drills designed to test the capabilities of county and city-level hospitals in North Korea showed an exhausted medical staff and widespread equipment shortages, sources told RFA.
- DPRK Will Never Pardon U.S. and Its Vassal Forces' "Human Rights" Racket: FM Spokesperson KCNA 02 Sep 2022 -- A spokesperson for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the DPRK gave the following answer to a question raised by KCNA on Friday as regards the visit to the area of the puppets by the "special rapporteur" on human rights situation in Korea under the UN Human Rights Council:
- Anti-epidemic Work Steadily Intensified in East Coastal Areas of DPRK KCNA 01 Sep 2022 -- Cities and counties in the east coastal areas of the DPRK have intensified the anti-epidemic work, realizing the voluntary unity in thinking and action in accordance with the demand of the intensified and reinforced normal epidemic prevention system.
- Readout of the Meeting of the United States, Japanese and Republic of Korea Trilateral National Security Advisors The White House 01 Sep 2022
- KCNA Commentary: Japan Is Bound to Fall to Ruin KCNA 01 Sep 2022 -- Japan is planning to equip itself with over 1 000 long-range missiles.
- Campaign Conducted to Minimize Natural Damage KCNA 01 Sep 2022 -- Scientists of the Academy of Agricultural Science in the DPRK take the lead in the campaign for minimizing the damage by unfavorable weather condition.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list