Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
March 2022 - North Korea Special Weapons News
- Struggling North Koreans say they are in no mood to celebrate missile launch Radio Free Asia 31 Mar 2022 -- Following North Korea's intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) launch last week, its first since 2017, the country's media has been lauding it as evidence of Kim Jong Un's leadership and bravery, sources in the country told RFA.
- North Korea May Be Preparing for Possible Future Nuclear Missile Tests, US Officials Claim Sputnik 31 Mar 2022 -- Last week, North Korea launched its twelfth missile since the start of the year, later confirming it was the Hwasong-17 intercontinental ballistic missile. According to the Japanese Defense Ministry, the missile has a range enough to reach the whole US on a typical trajectory.
- North Korea Didn't Test 'Monster Missile' After All, South Korea Says VOA 29 Mar 2022 -- North Korea's long-range launch last week likely involved a missile it previously tested in 2017, not the new type of intercontinental ballistic missile North Korea claims to have fired, according to South Korea's military.
- Seoul Says North Korea Likely Launched Hwasong-15 Missile on 24 March Sputnik 29 Mar 2022 -- North Korea presumably launched the Hwasong-15 intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) on March 24, not the brand-new Hwasong-17 as was claimed by Pyongyang, the South Korean Defence Ministry said on Tuesday.
- North Korea's Kim vows 'overwhelming' power in the face of Western threats Press TV 28 Mar 2022 -- North Korean leader Kim Jong-un has vowed to bolster the country's defense capability in the face of threats from Western countries, the country's state media said.
- North Korean capital Pyongyang cracks down on citizens illegally moving downtown Radio Free Asia 28 Mar 2022 -- Authorities in the North Korean capital Pyongyang are on the look-out for residents who have illegally moved from the city's outskirts to downtown in search of the good life, sources told RFA.
- Respected Comrade Kim Jong Un Has Photo Session with Those Who Contributed to Successful Test-Fire of Hwasongpho-17 Type KCNA 28 Mar 2022 -- Kim Jong Un , general secretary of the Workers' Party of Korea and president of the State Affairs of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea, had a photo session with the officials, scientists, technicians and workers in the field of the defence industry who contributed to the successful test-fire of new-type ICBM Hwasongpho-17.
- Kim Jong Un: Pyongyang to Continue Developing Offensive Means - Reports Sputnik 27 Mar 2022 -- North Korean leader Kim Jong Un says his country will continue to further develop offensive means, the South Korean Yonhap news agency reports.
- China calls for restraint regarding nuclear issue on Korean Peninsula People's Daily 27 Mar 2022 -- China on Friday called for restraint on the Korean Peninsula nuclear issue after the test launch of an intercontinental ballistic missile was conducted by the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) the previous day.
- Top US official: North Korea has 'more in store' after intercontinental ballistic missile test Press TV 26 Mar 2022 -- A top US official said has said that North Korea likely has "more in store" after successfully test-firing its largest-ever intercontinental ballistic missile.
- US pushes to 'update, strengthen' UN sanctions on North Korea; China, and Russia oppose Press TV 26 Mar 2022 -- The United States has said it will push United Nations to "update, strengthen" sanctions on North Korea over "increasingly dangerous provocations," but China and Russia have opposed such efforts.
- DPRK People Delighted at News of Successful ICBM Test-launch KCNA 25 Mar 2022 -- All citizens of the DPRK are delighted at the news that the test-launch of new-type ICBM Hwasongpho-17 was successfully conducted under the direct guidance of the respected Comrade Kim Jong Un , which demonstrated the dignity and might of the country and the people.
- G7 Foreign Ministers' Statement on the DPRK's Launch of an Intercontinental Ballistic Missile US Dept. of State 25 Mar 2022 -- The text of the following statement was released by the G7 foreign ministers of Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, the United Kingdom, and the United States of America, and the High Representative of the European Union.
- Special Representative for the DPRK Kim's Calls with Republic of Korea (ROK) Special Representative Noh and Japanese Director General Funakoshi US Dept. of State 25 Mar 2022
- We should urgently consider updated sanctions to disrupt North Korea's unlawful weapons testing: UK at the UN Security Council UK FCDO 25 Mar 2022 -- Statement by Ambassador Barbara Woodward at the UN Security Council meeting on DPRK
- Call for unity in Security Council over latest DPR Korea missile test UN News 25 Mar 2022 -- The top UN political affairs official urged the Security Council on Friday to be united in its response to the Democratic People's Republic of Korea's (DPRK) latest intercontinental ballistic missile launch - the country's first long-range test since 2017 - as delegates met on Friday afternoon in emergency session, to discuss the matter.
- N.Korea's latest test launch showcases capability in developing ICBMs as deterrent to US threat: analyst Global Times 25 Mar 2022 -- North Korea tested a new type of intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) Hwasongpho-17 on Thursday with its leader Kim Jong-un guiding the overall process of the test launch, North Korean state media reported on Friday. Analysts said that along with a series of missile launches since January, the test showed that the country has gained capability in developing ICBMs and is working to have asymmetric military capability to deal with threats from the US and Japan.
- Fire and Fury 2.0 with North Korea? Maybe Not, Analysts Say VOA 25 Mar 2022 -- North Korea Thursday conducted its first long-range missile test in nearly five years. The North also has hinted at additional provocative steps, such as a satellite launch and a nuclear test.
- North Korea confirms biggest ICBM test , warns of long confrontation with US Press TV 25 Mar 2022 -- North Korea has confirmed that it test-fired its biggest-yet intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) on the orders of leader Kim Jong-un, marking an end to a self-imposed moratorium on such tests.
- Experts: North Korea's New ICBM May Carry Multiple Nuclear Warheads VOA 25 Mar 2022 -- Experts say the missile North Korea launched on Thursday involved a full flight test of an intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) with the potential for carrying multiple nuclear warheads and capable of targeting any location in the United States.
- Striking Demonstration of Great Military Muscle of Juche Korea KCNA 25 Mar 2022 -- The test-launch of a new type inter-continental ballistic missile Hwasongpho-17 of the DPRK strategic forces was conducted on March 24, Juche 111 (2022) under the direct guidance of Kim Jong Un , general secretary of the Workers' Party of Korea, president of the State Affairs of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) and supreme commander of the armed forces of the DPRK.
- Respected Comrade Kim Jong Un Issues Order for Test-launch of New Type ICBM KCNA 25 Mar 2022 -- Kim Jong Un , general secretary of the Workers' Party of Korea, president of the State Affairs of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) and supreme commander of the armed forces of the DPRK, gave a written order to conduct the test-launch of Hwasongpho-17, a new type intercontinental ballistic missile of the DPRK strategic forces, on March 23, Juche 111 (2022). -0-
- New Sanctions Under the Iran, North Korea, and Syria Nonproliferation Act (INKSNA) US Dept. of State 24 Mar 2022 -- The United States today announced sanctions on five entities and individuals located in Russia and the DPRK and one entity in the People's Republic of China (PRC) for proliferation activities under the Iran, North Korea, and Syria Nonproliferation Act (INKSNA).
- South Korea 'Fires Multiple Ballistic and Guided Missiles' Following Alleged ICBM Launch by DPRK Sputnik 24 Mar 2022 -- South Korean President Moon Jae-in earlier accused North Korea's leader Kim Jong-un of violating the moratorium on intercontinental ballistic missile launches after Pyongyang fired a long-range missile towards the Sea of Japan.
- Secretary Blinken's Call with Republic of Korea Foreign Minister Chung US Dept. of State 24 Mar 2022
- Secretary Blinken's Call with Japanese Foreign Minister Hayashi US Dept. of State 24 Mar 2022
- North Korea Says Kim Jong Un Guided Test of 'Monster' New ICBM VOA 24 Mar 2022 -- North Korea has confirmed its test of a massive new intercontinental ballistic missile, saying leader Kim Jong Un personally guided the launch at the country's main international airport.
- The Democratic People's Republic of Korea's Ballistic Missile Launch US Dept. of State 24 Mar 2022 -- "The United States condemns the DPRK's ballistic missile launch."
- Statement by Press Secretary Jen Psaki on the Democratic People's Republic of Korea's Ballistic Missile Launch The White House 24 Mar 2022
- United States-Republic of Korea Joint Statement on the Call Between Secretary of Defense Lloyd J. Austin III and Minister of National Defense Suh Wook DoD 24 Mar 2022 -- On March 24, Secretary of Defense Lloyd J. Austin III and Minister ofNational Defense Suh Wook held a secure call to discuss assessments and response measures for Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK)'s recent Intercontinental Ballistic Missile (ICBM) launches. Secretary Austin affirmed that the U.S. commitment to the defense of the ROK remains ironclad.
- Deputy Secretary Sherman's Call with Republic of Korea First Vice Foreign Minister Choi and Japanese Vice Foreign Minister Mori US Dept. of State 24 Mar 2022
- Moon Accuses Kim Jong-un of Violating Moratorium on Intercontinental Ballistic Missile Launches Sputnik 24 Mar 2022 -- Last week, South Korean media reported that the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) was preparing to conduct yet another intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) test launch soon.
- Readout of Secretary of Defense Lloyd J. Austin III's Phone Call With Japan Minister of Defense Kishi Nobuo DoD 24 Mar 2022
- Minister for Asia statement on North Korea, 24 March 2022 UK FCDO 24 Mar 2022 -- Minister for Asia, Amanda Milling, comments on the latest launch of a ballistic missile by North Korea.
- Federal Foreign Office on North Korea's most recent ballistic missile test Germany Federal Foreign Office 24 Mar 2022 -- Federal Foreign Office on North Korea's most recent ballistic missile test (24.03.):
- Guterres strongly condemns DPR Korea long-range ballistic missile launch UN News 24 Mar 2022 -- The UN chief on Thursday strongly condemned the launch of an intercontinental ballistic missile by the Democratic People's Republic of Korea, more commonly known as North Korea, its first such long-range test, since 2017.
- North Korea launches fist ICBM since 2017, ending self-imposed moratorium Radio Free Asia 24 Mar 2022 -- North Korea on Thursday ended a self-imposed moratorium on testing long range missiles, launching a new kind of ICBM for the first time since 2017, an act that drew condemnation worldwide.
- North Korea Successfully Tested Hwasong-17 ICBM Missile in Latest Launch, DPRK Media Says Sputnik 24 Mar 2022 -- The test, conducted on Thursday, was noted around the globe and more closely observed by the militaries of Japan and South Korea, marking a return to long-range testing by the nuclear-armed country, which has conducted 11 tests this year alone.
- North Korean workers and their manager disappear from Shanghai dormitory Radio Free Asia 22 Mar 2022 -- A group of 20 North Korean textile workers who were dispatched to Shanghai to earn foreign currency for the government have disappeared, and Pyongyang authorities suspect they are now on the run as refugees, sources in China told RFA.
- Russia Talks With North Korea Amid Western Outrage Over Ukraine RFE/RL 22 Mar 2022 -- Russia's Foreign Ministry says Moscow and Pyongyang have discussed developing bilateral ties "in the context of changes taking place in the international arena."
- UN Investigator Calls for End to North Korean Isolation VOA 21 Mar 2022 -- A U.N. investigator is calling for an end to North Korea's international isolation, warning continued exclusion will prolong the country's worsening human rights violations.
- DPR Korea's grip on population has tightened since COVID UN News 21 Mar 2022 -- In the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), more commonly known as North Korea, human rights violations remain systematic, and the authorities' grip on the population has "tightened", the Human Rights Council heard on Monday.
- Thermal Power Plants in DPRK Boost Production KCNA 21 Mar 2022 -- Officials and workers in the thermal power sector of the DPRK have fulfilled their energy production plans every day in March.
- North Korea investigates farmers for unregistered cattle Radio Free Asia 21 Mar 2022 -- North Korean authorities are going from farmhouse to farmhouse to check if farmers are hiding any unregistered cows, threatening to send the contraband cattle to work on collective farms, sources in the country told RFA.
- UN Human Rights Council 49: UK statement for the interactive dialogue on the human rights situation in the Democratic People's Republic of Korea UK FCDO 21 Mar 2022 -- The UK's Global Ambassador for Human Rights, Rita French delivered the UK's statement thanking the Special Rapporteur for his continued efforts to shine a spotlight on the deeply concerning human rights situation in DPRK.
- Emergency Epidemic Prevention Campaign Intensified in DPRK KCNA 20 Mar 2022 -- The emergency epidemic prevention campaign to block any inroad and spread of the malignant virus has been further intensified in the DPRK, in close combination with the work for maintaining sanitary environment in spring.
- S.Korea says DPRK fires suspected shots from rocket launchers People's Daily 20 Mar 2022 -- The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) on Sunday fired four suspected shots from the multiple rocket launchers off its west coast, said South Korea's Yonhap news agency citing military officials.
- North Korea Reportedly Fires Four Shots From Rocket Launch Systems Into Yellow Sea Sputnik 20 Mar 2022 -- North Korea has allegedly fired four shots from multiple rocket launch systems into the western waters of the Yellow Sea, the Yonhap news agency reported on Sunday, citing South Korean military officials.
- North Korea Fires More Rockets Into Sea VOA 20 Mar 2022 -- North Korea has conducted a missile launch, apparently using a multiple rocket launch system, South Korea's military said Sunday, the latest in a frenzy of North Korean missile tests.
- Federal Foreign Office on the failed testing of a ballistic missile by North Korea Germany Federal Foreign Office 18 Mar 2022 -- A Federal Foreign Office Spokesperson issued the following statement today (18 March) on reports of the failed testing of a ballistic missile by North Korea on 16 March:
- North Korean military told to check supplies in case of war with South Korea Radio Free Asia 17 Mar 2022 -- North Korea is performing supply checks to ensure the military is ready to fight a war with South Korea, an order one source said is an attempt to distract the country from ongoing economic turmoil.
- North Korea Quiet on Missile Failure that Rained Debris Near Pyongyang VOA 17 Mar 2022 -- North Korea is remaining silent about a failed missile launch that resulted in a mid-air explosion that reportedly scattered debris near Pyongyang.
- North Koreans turn fuel coupons into cash as gas prices soar Radio Free Asia 16 Mar 2022 -- Citizens in North Korea are cashing in by trading fuel coupons and mixing gasoline with cheaper fuels as prices surge in the wake of Russia's invasion of Ukraine, sources in the country told RFA.
- Experts: North Korea's New ICBM Poses Challenges to US Missile Defense VOA 16 Mar 2022 -- Experts say the U.S. anti-ballistic missile system may be inadequate to defend against a new intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) under development by North Korea that could potentially carry multiple nuclear warheads.
- North Korean Launch Fails, Raining Debris Near Pyongyang, Reports Say VOA 16 Mar 2022 -- North Korea tried but apparently failed to launch an unidentified projectile early Wednesday, South Korea's military said, with reports adding that the weapon exploded mid-air and rained debris near Pyongyang.
- North Korea's Latest Launch Failed 'Immediately,' Says South Korea VOA 15 Mar 2022 -- North Korea tried but apparently failed to launch an unidentified projectile early Wednesday, South Korea's military said, in what could be the North's first high-profile missile failure in years.
- Indo-Pacific Command Conducts Carrier-Based Air Demonstration in the Yellow Sea US Navy 15 Mar 2022 -- The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) has significantly increased the pace and scale of ballistic missile launches since September 2021.
- US Military Ramps Up Drills as North Korea Prepares Major Launch VOA 15 Mar 2022 -- The U.S. military said Tuesday it has intensified air defense drills in South Korea and conducted an aircraft carrier exercise in the Yellow Sea as part of a "demonstration of resolve" following two partial North Korean tests of a new long-range missile.
- UN asks China not to send 7 North Korean refugees back home Radio Free Asia 15 Mar 2022 -- The U.N. is asking Beijing not to repatriate seven detained refugees from North Korea who escapee rights groups say would face severe retribution from the government if returned to their home country.
- Special Representative for the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) Kim's Trilateral Call with Republic of Korea (ROK) Special Representative Noh and Japan Director General Funakoshi US Dept. of State 14 Mar 2022
- DPRK Premier Inspects Industrial Establishments KCNA 14 Mar 2022 -- Kim Tok Hun, member of the Presidium of the Political Bureau of the Central Committee of the Workers' Party of Korea, vice-president of the State Affairs Commission of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea and premier of the Cabinet, made a field survey of the Huichon Precision Machine Plant and the February 8 Jikdong Youth Coal Mine.
- North Korea Reportedly Preparing Another ICBM Missile Test as Soon as 'This Week' Sputnik 14 Mar 2022 -- North Korea launched a short-range missile from the Sunan area near Pyongyang on March 5, marking the country's ninth missile test since the start of the year.
- Special Representative for the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) Ambassador Sung Kim's Call with The People's Republic of China (PRC) Special Representative on Korean Peninsula Affairs Ambassador Liu Xiaoming US Dept. of State 13 Mar 2022 -- On March 10, Special Representative for the DPRK Sung Kim called PRC Special Representative on Korean Peninsula Affairs Liu Xiaoming to discuss the DPRK's February 26 and March 4 ballistic missile launches, which the U.S. government has concluded were tests of a new DPRK intercontinental ballistic missile system.
- North Korea Warns US After New Sanctions Follow Ballistic Missile Launches Sputnik 13 Mar 2022 -- On Friday, North Korea warned the United States that Pyongyang will take a "stronger and certain reaction" after the US implementation of new sanctions following a series of missile launches by the DPRK.
- U.S. Sanctions Russians Over Support For North Korea's Ballistic-Missile Program RFE/RL 12 Mar 2022 -- The United States imposed sanctions against two Russian individuals and three entities over their support for North Korea's missile program.
- DPRK leader orders modernization of main space launch base People's Daily 11 Mar 2022 -- Kim Jong Un, top leader of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), has ordered the expansion and modernization of the Sohae Satellite Launching Ground, the official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) reported Friday.
- North Korean state media reports South Korean election results Radio Free Asia 11 Mar 2022 -- North Korean state media on Friday reported the results of this week's presidential election in South Korea, surprising citizens not used to hearing political news from the South so soon after the new leader was chosen, the residents told RFA.
- Sanctioning Network Supporting the Democratic People's Republic of Korea's (DPRK) Weapons Program US Dept. of State 11 Mar 2022 -- The United States is sanctioning two Russian individuals and three entities in response to the DPRK's ongoing development of its weapons of mass destruction (WMD) and ballistic missile programs in violation of multiple United Nations Security Council resolutions.
- Treasury Targets Russian Individuals and Entities Supporting DPRK Weapons of Mass Destruction and Ballistic Missile Programs US Treasury 11 Mar 2022 -- The U.S. Department of the Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) today sanctioned two individuals and three entities for supporting the DPRK's ongoing development of its weapons of mass destruction (WMD) and ballistic missile programs in violation of multiple United Nations Security Council resolutions (UNSCRs).
- Deputy Secretary Sherman's Call with Japanese Vice Foreign Minister Mori and Republic of Korea First Vice Foreign Minister Choi US Dept. of State 11 Mar 2022
- Pentagon Claims North Korea Tested Elements of Its New ICBM Sputnik 11 Mar 2022 -- Last Saturday, North Korea launched a short-range missile from the Sunan area near the capital Pyongyang, in what was the DPRK's ninth missile test since the beginning of this year.
- Respected Comrade Kim Jong Un Inspects Sohae Satellite Launching Ground KCNA 11 Mar 2022 -- Kim Jong Un , general secretary of the Workers' Party of Korea and president of the State Affairs of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea, inspected the Sohae Satellite Launching Ground.
- North Korea tested ICBM in February, March: US official Press TV 11 Mar 2022 -- North Korea tested a "relatively new" intercontinental ballistic missile system in Feb. 26 and March 4 test-firings, according to a senior Biden administration official.
- Statement by Pentagon Press Secretary John Kirby on Recent DPRK Missile Tests DoD 10 Mar 2022 -- The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) conducted two ballistic missile tests on February 26 and March 4, 2022 EST. Based on analysis of these launches, the United States Government has concluded that these launches involved a new Intercontinental Ballistic Missile (ICBM) system that the DPRK is developing, which was originally unveiled during the Korean Workers Party parade on October 10, 2020.
- North Korea Tested ICBM System, US Says, Warning of 'Serious Escalation' VOA 10 Mar 2022 -- North Korea's last two missile launches were tests of a new intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) system, U.S. officials said Thursday, as they announced fresh sanctions on Pyongyang and warned of a "serious escalation" in tensions.
- North Korea Hints at Bigger Provocations as South Korea Elects New President VOA 10 Mar 2022 -- Just three hours after being declared the winner of South Korea's presidential election, conservative former prosecutor Yoon Suk-yeol was reminded of one of the peskiest foreign policy challenges he will face after taking office in May.
- DPRK to launch more reconnaissance satellites to space People's Daily 10 Mar 2022 -- Kim Jong Un, top leader of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), said his country will launch multiple military reconnaissance satellites to space, the official Korean Central News Agency reported Thursday.
- North Korea to launch reconnaissance satellites to monitor military actions of US, allies Press TV 10 Mar 2022 -- North Korea says it will launch a number of reconnaissance satellites in the coming years to collect information on military actions by the United States and its allies.
- Yoon's victory in South Korean election signals hawkish shift in North Korea policy Radio Free Asia 09 Mar 2022 -- The election of conservative Yoon Suk-yeol as South Korea's next president Wednesday is likely to bring more hawkish policies toward North Korea and less deference toward China, analysts told RFA.
- Respected Comrade Kim Jong Un Inspects National Aerospace Development Administration (NADA) KCNA 10 Mar 2022 -- Kim Jong Un , general secretary of the Workers' Party of Korea (WPK) and president of the State Affairs of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea, inspected the National Aerospace Development Administration (NADA).
- South Korea Fires Warning Shots at North Korean Vessel That Crossed Border VOA 08 Mar 2022 -- South Korea's military fired warning shots at a North Korean patrol boat that crossed the de facto inter-Korean sea border off the peninsula's west coast, South Korea's military reported Tuesday.
- North Korea could return to ICBM, nuclear tests this year, says US intel report Press TV 08 Mar 2022 -- A top US intelligence organization has accused North Korea of preparing the ground for a return to intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBMs) and nuclear bomb tests this year for the first time since 2017.
- Special Representative for the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) Kim's Calls with Republic of Korea (ROK) Special Representative Noh and Japanese Director General Funakoshi US Dept. of State 07 Mar 2022
- Sanctioning Russia Curtails North Korea's Hard Currency Intake VOA 06 Mar 2022 -- As international sanctions on Moscow have triggered a decrease in the ruble's value, North Korean workers in Russia are struggling to meet the remittance quotas set by Pyongyang, according to multiple sources in Russia and official North Korean documents obtained by VOA's Korean Service.
- North Korea Says Latest Test Part of Reconnaissance Satellite Development Sputnik 06 Mar 2022 -- Pyongyang says its Saturday launch was part of a reconnaissance satellite project, North Korea's official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) reports.
- North Korea's Latest Launch Was Part of 'Important' Spy Satellite Testings Sputnik 06 Mar 2022 -- On Saturday, North Korea conducted its ninth missile test this year in firing a ballistic missile that South Korea claims traveled about 270 kilometers (168 miles), with a maximum altitutde if around 560 kilometers (348 miles).
- NADA and Academy of Defence Science Conduct Another Important Test for Developing Reconnaissance Satellite KCNA 06 Mar 2022 -- The DPRK National Aerospace Development Administration (NADA) and the Academy of Defence Science conducted another important test on Saturday under the plan of developing a reconnaissance satellite.
- Epidemic Prevention Campaign Intensified in DPRK KCNA 05 Mar 2022 -- The emergency epidemic prevention units at all levels of the DPRK further intensify the anti-epidemic campaign.
- North Korea says it conducted 2nd 'important' reconnaissance satellite test Press TV 05 Mar 2022 -- North Korea says it has conducted "another important" test for reconnaissance satellite systems, only a day after firing at least one suspected ballistic missile.
- North Korea fires 'suspected' ballistic missile ahead of South's election Press TV 05 Mar 2022 -- North Korea has reportedly fired at least one suspected ballistic missile in what rival South Korea and Japan describe as an "apparent test" just ahead of presidential election in the South.
- North Korea Launches Another Missile, Days Before South Korea Election VOA 04 Mar 2022 -- North Korea has launched what appears to be a ballistic missile into the sea off its east coast, South Korea's military reported Saturday, just four days ahead of South Korea's presidential election.
- North Korean workers in Russia feel financial sting from Ukraine invasion Radio Free Asia 03 Mar 2022 -- North Koreans working in Russia are suffering collateral damage from their host country's invasion of Ukraine, as the ruble's collapse has made their earnings close to worthless while they still have to send U.S. dollars back to Pyongyang.
- New greenhouses in rural North Korea grow tons of vegetables, just not for locals Radio Free Asia 02 Mar 2022 -- A North Korean greenhouse project promised to provide citizens of a rural province with more vegetables than they could ever eat. But two years later, the food is bypassing their mouths and being shipped to the capital Pyongyang to be served to the country's elites, sources told RFA.
- North Korea kept Ukraine invasion a secret to all except members of the ruling party Radio Free Asia 01 Mar 2022 -- North Korean authorities waited days to tell the nation about Russia's invasion of Ukraine, first informing only members of the ruling Korean Workers' Party in private meetings, who later spread the word, government officials told RFA.
- Ukraine Crisis Prompts Fears of North Korean Challenge to US-Seoul Alliance VOA 01 Mar 2022 -- Experts say the Russian invasion of Ukraine is likely to spur North Korea to take a bolder stance in pursuing its long-term goal of fracturing South Korea's alliance with the United States.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list