Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
December 2021 - North Korea Special Weapons News
- For How Long Will North Korea Be Able to Sustain Its Lockdown? VOA 30 Dec 2021 -- When the coronavirus first emerged in the central Chinese city of Wuhan, North Korea locked its borders faster and harder than virtually any other country.
- Fourth-day Sitting of 4th Plenary Meeting of 8th WPK Central Committee Held KCNA 31 Dec 2021 -- The fourth-day sitting of the 4th Plenary Meeting of the 8th Central Committee of the Workers' Party of Korea took place on December 30.
- Kim Jong Un firmly in control of North Korea after 10 years despite economic record Radio Free Asia 29 Dec 2021 -- When the leather-jacket-clad Kim Jong Un opened the 8th Congress of the Workers' Party of Korea in January 2021, he sat firmly entrenched as the unquestioned authority in North Korea, just as his father and grandfather had before him.
- Third-day Sitting of 4th Plenary Meeting of 8th WPK Central Committee Held KCNA 30 Dec 2021 -- The third-day sitting of the 4th Plenary Meeting of the 8th Central Committee of the Workers' Party of Korea took place on December 29 amid enthusiasm for the revolution and struggle of all the participants growing higher after receiving the practical programme that indicates a new path for the development of our style socialism.
- Second-day Sitting of 4th Plenary Meeting of 8th WPK Central Committee Held KCNA 29 Dec 2021 -- There was the second-day sitting of the 4th Plenary Meeting of the 8th Central Committee of the Workers' Party of Korea for indicating the new fighting guidelines for the prosperity of the country amid high political enthusiasm of the participants.
- North Korea's Kim Jong-un Kicks Off Policy Meeting to Outline Priorities, Nuclear Strategy Sputnik 28 Dec 2021 -- In June, North Korean leader Kim Jong-un said that Pyongyang must be ready for "both dialogue and confrontation" with the United States. Washington, for its part, said in October that it is prepared to launch a dialogue with North Korea without preconditions.
- 4th Plenary Meeting of 8th WPK Central Committee Convened KCNA 28 Dec 2021 -- The 4th Plenary Meeting of the 8th Central Committee of the Workers' Party of Korea (WPK) was convened on December 27.
- South Korea Urges North to Start New Year With Dialogue, Unification Ministry Says Sputnik 27 Dec 2021 -- The South Korean Unification Ministry urged the North on Monday to begin the new year with dialogue and cooperation, following the North's announcement of a meeting planned to be held by the Workers' Party on plans for 2022.
- Seoul's Peace Initiative at Odds with Biden's Coalition-Building Strategy VOA 22 Dec 2021 -- South Korea's efforts to revive diplomacy with North Korea stand at odds with the Biden administration's strategy of building an international coalition to counter the dual threats posed by North Korea and China, experts say.
- Mass Technological Innovation Movement Propels Increase in Coal Production KCNA 19 Dec 2021 -- Coal mines in the DPRK made achievements through a positive mass technological innovation movement for boosting coal production.
- Kim Jong-un's Sister Reportedly Promoted Back Into Politburo Amid Behind-the-Scenes Intrigue Sputnik 19 Dec 2021 -- Kim Yo-jong began gaining international attention after her historic visit to South Korea as Kim Jong-un's personal envoy during the 2018 Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang. She has since been regularly spotted accompanying her brother at major events, including his meetings with South Korean President Moon Jae-in and US President Donald Trump.
- Respected Comrade Kim Jong Un Visits Kumsusan Palace of Sun KCNA 18 Dec 2021 -- All the people in the DPRK greatly missing Chairman Kim Jong Il, the venerable image of socialist Korea, look back upon his life with the deepest reverence for him on the occasion of the 10th anniversary of his demise.
- Memorial Services for Chairman Kim Jong Il Held in DPRK KCNA 18 Dec 2021 -- Memorial services for Chairman Kim Jong Il took place in every province, city (district) and county of the DPRK on Friday, the 10th anniversary of his demise.
- Korean People Mourn Chairman Kim Jong Il KCNA 18 Dec 2021 -- All the civilians and servicepersons in the DPRK mourned Chairman Kim Jong Il, the eternal image of socialist Korea and great sage of the revolution, in the deepest reverence for him on the occasion of the 10th anniversary of his demise.
- Korean People Pay Silent Tribute to Memory of Chairman Kim Jong Il KCNA 18 Dec 2021 -- All the people in the DPRK greatly miss and revere Chairman Kim Jong Il on the occasion of the 10th anniversary of his demise.
- North Korea Marks 10th Anniversary of Kim Jong Il's Death VOA 17 Dec 2021 -- Thousands of North Koreans marked the 10th anniversary Friday of the death of the country's former leader, Kim Jong Il.
- National Memorial Service for Chairman Kim Jong Il Held KCNA 18 Dec 2021 -- Deep yearning and reverence of all the people across the country for Chairman Kim Jong Il, the eternal leader of our Party and people and great sage of the revolution, pervade the Kumsusan Palace of the Sun, the sacred temple of Juche, on the greatest national memorial day.
- Analysts Say New COVID Pills Could Be Game Changer for North Korea VOA 15 Dec 2021 -- Public health experts say promising COVID-19 treatment pills could play a key role for North Korea, one of the only countries yet to begin coronavirus vaccinations.
- North Korea publicly executed at least 27 people since 2011, report says Radio Free Asia 15 Dec 2021 -- North Korea has held at least 27 public executions during the 10-year reign of Kim Jong Un, a report published by a South Korean human rights organization said Wednesday.
- Maritime trade between North Korea and China picks up Radio Free Asia 15 Dec 2021 -- Maritime trade between North Korea and China appears to have resumed, with Chinese port cities in the northern Yellow Sea scrambling to hire enough workers to quickly load ships bound for North Korea after a nearly two-year cut-off in trade to fight the pandemic.
- Joint statement on the human rights situation in the Democratic People's Republic of Korea UK FCDO 15 Dec 2021 -- Delivered by US Ambassador Linda Thomas-Greenfield on behalf of Estonia, France, Ireland, Japan, Mexico, Norway, the United Kingdom, and the United States.
- Some on Security Council Seek Public Discussion of N. Korea Rights Abuses VOA 15 Dec 2021 -- Several U.N. Security Council members plus Japan urged their counterparts on the 15-nation council Wednesday to hold a public meeting regarding North Korea's human rights situation.
- North and South Korea, China, US agree 'in principle' to end Korean War Radio Free Asia 13 Dec 2021 -- The United States, China, and North and South Korea have agreed to declare a formal end to the Korean War "in principle," nearly 70 years after hostilities ended in a stalemate, South Korea's President Moon Jae-in told reporters Monday.
- North Koreans forced to mourn on 10th anniversary of former leader's death Radio Free Asia 13 Dec 2021 -- North Korea is forcing residents to observe an 11-day period of mourning for the 10th anniversary of former leader Kim Jong Il's death on Dec. 17, sources in the country told RFA.
- North Koreans scour farms for burnable waste to cope with fuel shortage Radio Free Asia 09 Dec 2021 -- A severe firewood shortage and rising fuel costs in North Korea have left citizens scrounging harvested cornfields for anything burnable to keep warm this winter, sources in the country told RFA.
- Emergency Epidemic Prevention Work Further Intensified in DPRK KCNA 08 Dec 2021 -- A new COVID-19 variant with high infectivity now rapidly spreads to different countries and regions in the five continents and the number of the infected is on the increase, arousing serious public concern.
- North Korea installs solar panels along border to boost surveillance Radio Free Asia 06 Dec 2021 -- North Korea is installing solar panels along the border with China to ensure that security facilities have enough electricity for nighttime surveillance, sources living in the area told RFA.
- Winter power outages cripple public transit in North Korean capital Radio Free Asia 03 Dec 2021 -- In the North Korean capital Pyongyang frequent power outages due to the onset of winter have made public transportation systems unreliable, sources in the country told RFA.
- 5th Political Bureau Meeting of 8th C.C., WPK Held KCNA 02 Dec 2021 -- The 5th Political Bureau Meeting of the 8th Central Committee of the Workers' Party of Korea (WPK) took place at the office building of the Party Central Committee on December 1.
- US, South Korea to update war plans against North Korea Press TV 01 Dec 2021 -- Senior military officials from the United States and South Korea are set to meet in Seoul to develop "a new, operational war plan" against North Korea, amid rising tensions on the Korean Peninsula.
- DPRK's New Nukes & Missiles Force US, South Korea to Rethink War Plans - Report Sputnik 01 Dec 2021 -- US and South Korean defense chiefs are expected to propose beginning to draw up new war plans in case of a conflict with the North that takes into account its advances in nuclear weapons and missiles made in recent years.
- US, South Korea Updating War Plans for North Korea VOA 01 Dec 2021 -- The United States and South Korea are preparing to develop "a new, operational war plan" to better address the growing threat from North Korea's military.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list