Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
April 2021 - North Korea Special Weapons News
- US Completes DPRK Policy Review, Will Not Focus on Achieving 'Grand Bargain', White House Says Sputnik 30 Apr 2021 -- The United States has finished its policy review on North Korea and its approach will not focus on achieving a grand bargain with Pyongyang, White House Press Secretary Jen Psaki told reporters on Friday.
- North Korea Sends 10-Year Military Vets to Mines and Building Sites Right After Discharge Radio Free Asia 29 Apr 2021 -- North Korea is mobilizing recently discharged soldiers to toil away in coal mines and construction sites right after they have completed their grueling mandatory 10-year stint in the military, sources in the country told RFA.
- North Korean Agricultural Quotas Unrealistic Due to Equipment Shortfalls Radio Free Asia 28 Apr 2021 -- North Korea has ordered its farmers to begin planting crops, but many farms in the country have yet to be plowed due to a severe lack of adequate farming machinery, sources told RFA.
- US State Dept Says Appalled by North Korea's 'Increasingly Draconian Measures' Sputnik 28 Apr 2021 -- The United States is alarmed by the increasingly severe measures the North Korean government is taking towards its population, State Department spokesperson Ned Price said on Wednesday.
- North Korea Bans Criticism of China and Prejudice Towards Ethnic Chinese Residents Radio Free Asia 26 Apr 2021 -- Authorities in North Korea have threatened to punish citizens caught criticizing China or acting in a discriminatory manner toward the country's ethnic Chinese residents, sources told RFA.
- North Korea Says it Won't Make Chinese Wigs and False Eyelashes Once Trade Resumes Radio Free Asia 24 Apr 2021 -- Chinese wig and false eyelash companies that outsource manufacturing to North Korea will have to look elsewhere after authorities declared that the country's companies would not be accepting manufacturing orders because young student laborers had been deployed in other jobs, sources in China told RFA.
- South Korean president urges US's Biden to engage directly with North Korea's Kim Press TV 22 Apr 2021 -- South Korean President Moon Jae-in has urged his American counterpart, Joe Biden, to initiate a new round of diplomacy with North Korea over its nuclear program, following unsuccessful engagement between Pyongyang and the former US administration that Seoul had brokered.
- North Korean State Agencies "Officially" Resume Smuggling Goods from China Radio Free Asia 22 Apr 2021 -- State agencies in North Korea have recently resumed "officially" smuggling goods from China for the first time in more than a year, indicating that trade between the northeast Asian neighbors could start flowing again, sources in the country told RFA.
- Exclusive: China-N.Korea border remains closed despite signs of possible trade resumption Global Times 22 Apr 2021 -- China and North Korea have yet to resume cargo and passenger traffic, but there are signs that trade may resume in the future, the Global Times has learned.
- China Secretly Sends Food Aid to North Korea by Rail Radio Free Asia 20 Apr 2021 -- A freight train loaded with Chinese corn has arrived in North Korea, the first international cargo train to cross the Sino-Korean border in more than a year amid warnings of dire shortages in the impoverished North, sources in China told RFA.
- North Korea Gives Extra Food to Veterans for Former Leader's Birthday Radio Free Asia 16 Apr 2021 -- North Korea commemorated a major national holiday Thursday by providing extra corn to select groups of veterans, but the people are complaining that the government is trying to force their loyalty through strict control of the food supply, sources in the country told RFA.
- Emergency Anti-epidemic Work Intensified in DPRK KCNA 15 Apr 2021 -- Emergency anti-epidemic units at all levels in the DPRK are further intensifying emergency anti-epidemic work to cope with the world health crisis, bearing in mind that slackening anti-epidemic work even a moment will put the wellbeing of the country and the people at irrecoverable risk.
- North Korea Builds New Rail Route to Handle Chinese Freight During Pandemic Radio Free Asia 14 Apr 2021 -- North Korea has built a new rail route to its border with China designed to isolate freight in order to prevent the spread of coronavirus, an important first step toward restarting imports from its largest trading partner, sources in the country told RFA.
- North Korean Capital Demolishes Many Neighborhoods for Kim Jong Un's '10,000 New Homes' Plan Radio Free Asia 14 Apr 2021 -- The North Korean capital Pyongyang has begun demolishing entire neighborhoods to make way for leader Kim Jong Un's ambitious plan to construct 10,000 homes in the city by year's end, but people displaced by the project have nowhere to live, sources in the capital told RFA.
- North Korea Could Potentially Have Up To 242 Nuclear Weapons, Dozens Of ICBMs By 2027, Report Claims Sputnik 13 Apr 2021 -- A report has urged "serious" considerations to deploy tactical nuclear weapons in South Korea as well as further measures to limit Pyongyang's potential to launch nuclear strikes.
- North Korea Mobilizes Women to Solve Construction Labor Shortage Radio Free Asia 12 Apr 2021 -- Labor shortages in North Korea have forced authorities to start mobilizing women to complete leader Kim Jong Un's ambitious plan to build 10,000 houses in the capital Pyongyang by year's end, sources in the city told RFA.
- US and South Korea Reportedly Believe Pyongyang Soon to Launch Its First Ballistic Missile Submarine Sputnik 11 Apr 2021 -- South Korean and US intelligence suspect that North Korea has completed the assembly of a 3,000-tonne submarine and is ready to launch it when the time is right, the state Yonhap News Agency reported on Sunday.
- Bolton: North Korea Unlikely to Denuclearize Under Kim VOA 09 Apr 2021 -- North Korea has not made a strategic decision to give up nuclear weapons and the prospects for efforts to achieve denuclearization through diplomacy remain dim, said John Bolton, former President Donald Trump's national security adviser.
- Respected Comrade Kim Jong Un Makes Concluding Speech at Sixth Conference of Cell Secretaries of Workers' Party of Korea KCNA 09 Apr 2021 -- The respected Comrade Kim Jong Un, general secretary of the Workers' Party of Korea (WPK), made an important concluding speech "On the Important Tasks for Strengthening Party Cells at Present" at the Sixth Conference of Cell Secretaries of the Workers' Party of Korea on April 8, the third day of the Sixth Conference of Cell Secretaries of the WPK.
- Respected Comrade Kim Jong Un Makes Closing Address at Sixth Conference of Cell Secretaries of Workers' Party of Korea KCNA 09 Apr 2021 -- The respected Comrade Kim Jong Un made a closing address at the Sixth Conference of Cell Secretaries of the Workers' Party of Korea (WPK).
- 6th Conference of Cell Secretaries of Workers' Party of Korea Closes KCNA 09 Apr 2021 -- The 6th Conference of Cell Secretaries of the Workers' Party of Korea (WPK), which is of great significance in the implementation of the decisions of the historic 8th Congress of the WPK and the organizational and ideological strengthening of the whole Party, closed on April 8 after successfully attaining its goal amid high political enthusiasm of the participants.
- North Korea Tells Citizens to Prepare for a Famine Worse than the 1990s Radio Free Asia 08 Apr 2021 -- Authorities in North Korea are asking residents to prepare for economic difficulties as bad as the 1994-1998 famine which killed millions, RFA has learned, but experts say the situation is dire, but not that extreme.
- Many Dwelling Houses and Streets Built in DPRK KCNA 07 Apr 2021 -- The Workers' Party of Korea (WPK) has always paid attention to the housing construction to provide the people with better civilized living conditions.
- Fearing Vandalism, North Korea Surrounds Kim Il Sung Monument with Electric Fences Radio Free Asia 07 Apr 2021 -- North Korea has set up high-voltage electric fences around an important national landmark in a city near the Chinese border, a precaution authorities say is to defend it from would-be vandals opposed to the regime, sources in the country told RFA.
- Fire at Construction Site in North Korean Capital Kills 20 Radio Free Asia 06 Apr 2021 -- At least 20 North Korean construction workers died last month when an electrical fire tore through their lodging on their Pyongyang jobsite as they slept, RFA has learned.
- North Korea Opting Out of Tokyo Olympics Amid COVID-19 Concerns - Reports Sputnik 06 Apr 2021 -- North Korea will not participate in the Tokyo Olympic Games this summer because of the coronavirus pandemic, the Yonhap news agency reported on Tuesday, citing the North Korean sports ministry's news service.
- North Korea Withdraws from Tokyo Olympics, Citing Pandemic VOA 06 Apr 2021 -- North Korea says it will not participate in the upcoming Tokyo Olympics due to concerns about the coronavirus pandemic.
- Statement of Director of Research Institute for Nutrition Care of Children of DPRK KCNA 06 Apr 2021 -- The director of the Research Institute for Nutrition Care of Children under the Academy of Medical Science of the DPRK Ministry of Public Health released the following statement on Tuesday:
- US, Japan, South Korea Vow to Continue Cooperation to Denuclearize North Korea Sputnik 02 Apr 2021 -- The national security advisors from the United States, Japan and South Korea have agreed to continue trilateral cooperation to denuclearize North Korea, the three officials said in a joint statement provided by the White House.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list