Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
January 2021 - North Korea Special Weapons News
- North Korea Tops Agenda for US-Japan-South Korea Meeting VOA 01 Apr 2021 -- "Every aspect of North Korea policy" will be discussed when national security advisers from the United States, South Korea and Japan meet on Friday, according to a senior administration official in Washington.
- US Approach Toward North Korea Must Be in Lockstep With Allies, State Dept Says Sputnik 01 Apr 2021 -- The United States' approach on North Korea must be done in coordination with its allies, State Department spokesperson Ned Price said on Thursday ahead of the high-level trilateral meeting with Japan and South Korea.
- S Korean Opposition Seeks Probe Into Seoul's Alleged Plan to Build NPP in N Korea, Reports Say Sputnik 31 Jan 2021 -- The main opposition party in South Korea, the People Power Party (PPP), has called for an investigation into the government's alleged intentions to help build a nuclear power plant (NPP) in North Korea, the Yonhap news agency reported on Sunday.
- South Korea angrily rejects it planned to build nuclear facility Press TV 30 Jan 2021 -- South Korea planned to "secretly" build a nuclear power plant across the border in North Korea, a report says, drawing an angry rebuttal from Seoul.
- Ruling Party Membership No Longer Automatic for North Korean Soldiers Radio Free Asia 29 Jan 2021 -- North Korean soldiers are no longer a shoo-in for membership in the ruling Workers' Party, after authorities tightened entry barriers this year to limit the number of new members, sources in the million-strong military told RFA.
- Efforts for Making Big Strides in Public Health Work KCNA 28 Jan 2021 -- It is the unanimous will of all the medical workers in the DPRK to provide the citizens with better medical benefits by strictly embodying the Workers' Party of Korea's idea of believing in the people as in Heaven to the public health work and developing the socialist healthcare into the most advantageous and advanced public health.
- North Korea Keeps Kim Dynasty Statues Lit During Energy Shortage Radio Free Asia 28 Jan 2021 -- As the North Korean people shiver in darkness during a severe energy shortage this winter, many are angry that authorities are keeping statues of the country's dynastic leaders illuminated through the night, sources living near the border with China told RFA.
- To promote China-DPRK military exchanges at all levels: Defense spokesperson PLA Daily 28 Jan 2021 -- "Mil-to-mil relations play an important role in China-DPRK relationship. China will continue to conduct friendly exchanges between the two militaries at all levels," said Senior Colonel Wu Qian, spokesperson for the Chinese Ministry of National Defense (MND), at a regular press conference in Beijing on Thursday.
- US, South Korea Consider North Korea's Denuclearisation Matter of Urgency, Seoul Says Sputnik 27 Jan 2021 -- South Korea's Ministry of Foreign Affairs said on Wednesday that Foreign Minister Kang Kyung-wha had a phone conversation with US Secretary of State Antony Blinken, during which they agreed that the denuclearisation of North Korea was a matter of urgency that required their close cooperation.
- Construction Delayed on Showcase Hospital Project in North Korean Capital Radio Free Asia 26 Jan 2021 -- A North Korean state-sponsored project to build a state-of-the-art hospital in the capital Pyongyang has been severely delayed due to a year-long suspension of trade with China over coronavirus concerns, government officials told RFA.
- Drive for Increased Power Production in DPRK KCNA 26 Jan 2021 -- All the officials and workers in the electric-power industrial sector, one of the key industrial sectors in the DPRK, have turned out in the struggle to carry out the important tasks set forth at the 8th Congress of the Workers' Party of Korea.
- Trump's Gone, But North Korea Tensions Still Loom in US-South Korea Alliance VOA 26 Jan 2021 -- After U.S. President Joe Biden took office last week, perhaps no world leader breathed a bigger public sigh of relief than South Korean President Moon Jae-in.
- Third High-Profile North Korean Diplomat Defected to South Korea in 2019 Radio Free Asia 25 Jan 2021 -- North Korea's acting ambassador to Kuwait secretly defected to South Korea in 2019, the third in a series of high-profile diplomat defections since 2016, South Korean media reported Monday.
- North Korean Trade Officials Scramble to Import Chinese Construction Materials Radio Free Asia 22 Jan 2021 -- Trading companies in North Korea are attempting to restart trade with China to secure construction materials as Pyongyang prepares to invest heavily in its tourism industry, sources in China told RFA.
- North Korea Directs Companies to Eliminate 'Import Disease' and Pursue Self-Reliance Radio Free Asia 22 Jan 2021 -- North Korea has instructed state-run factories and organizations to be more self-sufficient and shake off what it calls the "import disease" that has made production during the COVID-19 pandemic nearly impossible, local government officials told RFA.
- North Korea's new resilient deterrent worries US: Report Press TV 22 Jan 2021 -- North Korea's latest unveiling of submarine-launched ballistic missiles (SLBMs) has been described by US experts as an indication that Pyongyang is inching closer to a genuinely powerful missile.
- Members of DPRK Cabinet Appointed KCNA 18 Jan 2021 -- The following members of the DPRK Cabinet and the director of the Central Public Prosecutors Office of the DPRK were appointed at the 4th Session of the 14th Supreme People's Assembly of DPRK:
- Report Made on Fulfillment of State Budget for Last Year and on State Budget for This Year KCNA 18 Jan 2021 -- There was a report by Deputy Ko Jong Bom, minister of Finance, on the results of the fulfillment of the state budget of the DPRK for Juche 109(2020) and on state budget for Juche 110(2021) at the 4th session of the 14th Supreme People's Assembly held on Sunday.
- Kim Tok Hun Calls for Implementing Five-year Plan for National Economic Development Set forth at Eighth KCNA 18 Jan 2021 -- Deputy Kim Tok Hun, premier of the Cabinet of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), made a report at the 4th Session of the 14th Supreme People's Assembly of the DPRK held on Sunday in which he called for thoroughly carrying out the five-year plan for national economic development set forth at the Eighth Congress of the Workers' Party of Korea (WPK).
- 4th Session of 14th SPA of DPRK Held KCNA 18 Jan 2021 -- The 4th Session of the 14th Supreme People's Assembly (SPA) of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) took place at the Mansudae Assembly Hall on Jan. 17.
- Indonesian Company Admits To Deceiving U.S. Banks In Order To Trade With North Korea, Agrees To Pay A Fine Of More Than $1.5 Million US Dept. of Justice 17 Jan 2021 -- A global supplier of cigarette paper products, PT Bukit Muria Jaya ("BMJ"), has agreed to pay a fine of $1,561,570 and enter into a deferred prosecution agreement with the Justice Department for conspiring to commit bank fraud in connection with the shipment of products to North Korean customers. BMJ, which is incorporated in Indonesia, has also entered into a settlement agreement with the Treasury Department's Office of Foreign Assets Control ("OFAC").
- North Korean Leader's Sister Retains Power Despite Formal 'Demotion' Radio Free Asia 15 Jan 2021 -- North Korean leader Kim Jong Un's sister Kim Yo Jong has been assigned a new title and removed from the country's highest decision-making body, but after she called out South Korea in an insult-laden tirade this week, experts said her relative power remains intact in the dynastic regime.
- Photos: DPRK Unveils New Submarine-Launched Ballistic Missile, Short-Range Weapon in Military Parade Sputnik 15 Jan 2021 -- During the recent congress of the Workers' Party of Korea, chairperson Kim Jong Un noted the country's need to improve its nuclear forces in order to guarantee an effective deterrent to attack.
- North Korea Shows Off New Submarine-Launched Missile at Military Parade VOA 15 Jan 2021 -- North Korea has unveiled what it says is a new submarine-launched ballistic missile, the latest apparent development in its fast-advancing weapons program.
- Military Parade Commemorates 8th Congress of WPK KCNA 15 Jan 2021 -- There took place a splendid military parade at Kim Il Sung Square here in the evening on January 14 to commemorate the 8th Congress of the Workers' Party of Korea (WPK).
- KPA Will Ensure Party's New Historic Advance with Strongest Military Power: DPRK Minister of Defence KCNA 15 Jan 2021 -- Kim Jong Gwan, minister of Defence of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea, made a speech at the military parade for commemorating the 8th Congress of the Workers' Party of Korea (WPK) on Thursday.
- Resolution of 8th WPK Congress Adopted KCNA 13 Jan 2021 -- The 8th Congress of the Workers' Party of Korea (WPK), on the basis of an in-depth discussion of the important matters facing our Party and revolution, adopted with the unanimous approval of all its participants the resolution "On thoroughly implementing the tasks set forth in the report on the work of the 7th WPK Central Committee".
- DPRK People's Solemn Pledge to Follow Supreme Leader Forever KCNA 13 Jan 2021 -- Supreme Leader Kim Jong Un was elected as the general secretary of the Workers' Party of Korea (WPK) at its 8th Congress held early in January Juche 110 (2021).
- 8th Congress of WPK Closes KCNA 13 Jan 2021 -- The 8th Congress of the Workers' Party of Korea (WPK) closed on Tuesday after successfully finishing the discussion on its agenda items amid full support and expectations of all the Party members, other people and service personnel of the People's Army.
- WPK General Secretary Kim Jong Un Makes Concluding Speech at Eighth Congress of WPK KCNA 13 Jan 2021 -- Kim Jong Un, general secretary of the Workers' Party of Korea (WPK), made a concluding speech at the Eighth Congress of WPK.
- WPK General Secretary Kim Jong Un Makes Closing Address at Eighth Congress of WPK KCNA 13 Jan 2021 -- Kim Jong Un, general secretary of the Workers' Party of Korea (WPK), made a closing address at the Eighth Congress of WPK.
- North Korean leader pledges to strengthen military, nuclear arsenal Press TV 13 Jan 2021 -- North Korean leader Kim Jong-un has vowed to strengthen his country's military capabilities and nuclear arsenal, days before US President-elect Joe Biden takes office.
- Kim Jong-Un Pledges to Strengthen N Korea's Nuclear Arsenal in Closing Remarks at Party Congress Sputnik 13 Jan 2021 -- North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un said in his address during the final day of the ruling party congress on Tuesday that Pyongyang should further strengthen its nuclear arsenal.
- DPRK People Offer Heartfelt Congratulations to WPK General Secretary KCNA 12 Jan 2021 -- All the people in the DPRK are now filled with great emotion and jubilation over the news that Supreme Leader Kim Jong Un was elected as the general secretary of the Workers' Party of Korea (WPK) at the 8th WPK Congress.
- Korean People Delighted at News of Election of WPK General Secretary KCNA 12 Jan 2021 -- All the people of the DPRK are now very delighted at the news that Supreme Leader Kim Jong Un was elected as the general secretary of the Workers' Party of Korea (WPK).
- North Korea's Ruling Party Increases Wait Time, 'Loyalty Fees' For Aspiring Members Radio Free Asia 12 Jan 2021 -- Revised regulations on joining North Korea's ruling party extend the candidacy period for prospective members from one to two years, effectively doubling the "loyalty fees" and other bribes required to join the elite, sources in the country told RFA.
- North Korean Leader Tells Party Congress US Remains 'Biggest Enemy' Radio Free Asia 12 Jan 2021 -- Leader Kim Jong Un branded the United States North Korea's "biggest enemy" to be met with increased military capabilities in remarks at a ruling party congress that experts said reveal that he faces the same limited pathways out of his country's poverty and isolation that his father did twenty years ago.
- S.Korean president says to seek dialogue with DPRK, offer free COVID-19 vaccines to all domestically People's Daily 11 Jan 2021 -- South Korean President Moon Jae-in said Monday that his government can hold dialogue with the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) anytime, anywhere and even in a contactless way.
- Great Political Event to Be Etched in History of Development of Great WPK and Sacred Juche Revolution KCNA 11 Jan 2021 -- The news about the 8th Congress of the Workers' Party of Korea clearly indicating the orientation of the victorious advance of Korean-style socialism is instilling into the minds of millions of Party members and other people throughout the country the great pride in the great guidance and sagacity of our dignified Party and fresh confidence and courage.
- 1st Plenary Meeting of 8th WPK Central Committee Held under Guidance of General Secretary of WPK Kim Jong Un KCNA 11 Jan 2021 -- The 1st Plenary Meeting of the 8th Central Committee of the Workers' Party of Korea was held at the conference hall of the office building of the Central Committee of the Party on Jan. 10.
- Press Release of 8th Congress of WPK KCNA 11 Jan 2021 -- Members and alternate members of the Central Committee of the Workers' Party of Korea (WPK) who were elected at the 8th WPK Congress are as follows:
- To Hold Supreme Leader Kim Jong Un as Head of WPK Is Firm Will of Millions of Party Members and Other People: Ri Il Hwan KCNA 11 Jan 2021 -- Delegate Ri Il Hwan made a proposal concerning the election of the general secretary of the Workers' Party of Korea (WPK) at the sixth-day sitting of the 8th Congress of the WPK on January 10.
- Supreme Leader Kim Jong Un Elected General Secretary of WPK KCNA 11 Jan 2021 -- A resolution of the 8th Congress of the Workers' Party of Korea (WPK) "On Election of General Secretary of the Workers' Party of Korea" was released on January 10.
- Assuming father's title, N Korea's Kim elected ruling party's general secretary Press TV 11 Jan 2021 -- North Korea's leader Kim Jong-un has been elected as the ruling Workers Party's general secretary during its current assembly -- assuming the title from his late father â€“ in an apparent bid to bolster his authority.
- Kim Jong-un's Sister Reportedly Removed From North Korea's Executive Committee Sputnik 11 Jan 2021 -- Kim Yo-jong was thrown into the spotlight in April 2020 after Kim Jong-un's mysterious disappearance from the public radar. South Korean media previously reported that the woman, said to be in her mid-thirties, had been put in charge of relations with Seoul.
- WPK Rules Revised at 8th Congress of WPK KCNA 10 Jan 2021 -- The 8th Congress of the Workers' Party of Korea (WPK) discussed the third agenda item "On amendments to the rules of the WPK".
- Report on Review of Work of WPK Central Auditing Commission KCNA 10 Jan 2021 -- There was a report on the second agenda item "Review of the Work of the WPK Central Auditing Commission" at the 8th Congress of the Workers' Party of Korea (WPK).
- Historic Event Laying Foundation for Developing Glorious Party KCNA 10 Jan 2021 -- There was the fifth-day sitting of the 8th Congress of the Workers' Party of Korea (WPK) on Saturday amid great excitement and fresh confidence and spirit pervading the whole country upon receiving guidelines which will confidently lead our revolution which has advanced under the uplifted banner of great Kimilsungism-Kimjongilism to the next stage of victory.
- Fourth-day Sitting of 8th WPK Congress Held KCNA 09 Jan 2021 -- There was the fourth-day sitting of the 8th Congress of the Workers' Party of Korea (WPK) on Friday.
- Supreme Leader Kim Jong Un Continues Report on Work of 7th Central Committee of WPK KCNA 08 Jan 2021 -- Upon hearing the news about the 8th Congress of the Workers' Party of Korea (WPK) which marks an epochal significance in accomplishing the Korean-style socialist cause, the trust of millions of Party members and other people all over the country in the Party and their loyalty toward it are getting stronger.
- North Korea's Kim vows to expand overseas relations Press TV 08 Jan 2021 -- North Korean leader Kim Jong-un has promised to renew inter-Korean relations and expand diplomatic ties with the outside world, during the massive ruling party congress that is underway in the capital, Pyongyang, for the first time in eight years.
<li><a href="/wmd/library/news/dprk/2021/dprk-210108-sputnik01.htm">Kim Jong-un Says North Korea Should Keep Improving Nuclear Weapons to Deter Hostile Forces - Reports</a> <u>Sputnik</u> 08 Jan 2021 -- Relations between Washington and Pyongyang have become even tenser after US President Donald Trump rejected Kim's proposal to lift some sanctions in exchange for reciprocal steps on North Korea's part.</li>
Sputnik 08 Jan 2021 -- Relations between Washington and Pyongyang have become even tenser after US President Donald Trump rejected Kim's proposal to lift some sanctions in exchange for reciprocal steps on North Korea's part.
- North Korea Calls US 'Biggest Enemy,' Vows to Develop More Nukes VOA 08 Jan 2021 -- North Korean leader Kim Jong Un has threatened to expand his nuclear arsenal and warned his approach toward Washington won't change with the onset of a new U.S. president.
- North Koreans Cynical About 'Self-Reliance' Messaging During Party Congress Radio Free Asia 08 Jan 2021 -- As North Korea's ruling Korean Workers' Party held its congress this week, residents of the impoverished country reacted cynically, saying that nothing that could be decided during the rare political meeting could improve their lives, sources in the country told RFA.
- Supreme Leader Kim Jong Un Continues Report on Work of 7th Central Committee of WPK KCNA 07 Jan 2021 -- Amid the elated spirit of the whole country at the news of the opening of the 8th Congress of the Workers' Party of Korea (WPK), there took place the second-day sitting of the congress on January 6.
- Mass Anti-epidemic Atmosphere Gets More Tense in DPRK KCNA 06 Jan 2021 -- The emergency anti-epidemic units across the country are further intensifying the work for blocking the inroads and spread of the novel corona virus, while encouraging a mass anti-epidemic atmosphere.
- North Korea Admits Failure, Mulls Future VOA 06 Jan 2021 -- North Korea has opened a major, multi-day political gathering in the capital, Pyongyang, with leader Kim Jong Un using the forum to acknowledge recent economic failures.
- North Korea's Kim Jong-Un Admits Economic Plan 'Fell Short' of Objectives in 'Almost All Areas' Sputnik 06 Jan 2021 -- North Korean leader Kim Jong-un convened a rare congress of the ruling Workers' Party on Tuesday with thousands of delegates and observers in attendance, KCNA reported, to determine "a fresh line of struggle and strategic and tactical policies".
- Congress of Struggle and Advance Which Will Mark Great Watershed in Overall Development of Korean-style Socialism KCNA 06 Jan 2021 -- The 8th Congress of the Workers' Party of Korea (WPK) opened in Pyongyang, the capital of the revolution, on January 5, Juche 110 (2021) amid the great attention, expectations and aspiration of all Party members, people and service personnel across the country.
- Supreme Leader Kim Jong Un Makes Opening Speech at 8th WPK Congress KCNA 06 Jan 2021 -- Supreme Leader Kim Jong Un made an opening speech at the 8th Congress of the Workers' Party of Korea (WPK).
- Supreme Leader Kim Jong Un Starts Report on Work of 7th Central Committee of WPK KCNA 06 Jan 2021 -- Kim Jong Un, chairman of the Workers' Party of Korea (WPK), chairman of the State Affairs Commission of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) and supreme commander of the armed forces of the DPRK, started his historic report on the work of the 7th Central Committee of the Party at the first-day sitting of the 8th Congress of the WPK.
- DPRK top leader reviews work as 8th Party Congress opens People's Daily 06 Jan 2021 -- The eighth Congress of the Workers' Party of Korea of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) opened here on Tuesday, with top DPRK leader Kim Jong Un delivering an opening address, reported official media on Wednesday.
- Kim says North Korea power, global prestige bolstered since last congress meeting Press TV 06 Jan 2021 -- North Korean leader Kim Jong-un has hailed domestic accomplishments made in recent years, saying the country achieved a "miraculous victory" by bolstering its power and global prestige since the last meeting of the ruling Workers' Party Congress.
- No Signs of N. Korean Tests Ahead of Biden Inauguration, US General Says VOA 05 Jan 2021 -- North Korea does not appear to be preparing a major provocation at the onset of the administration of President-elect Joe Biden, according to the top U.S. general in South Korea, amid concerns Pyongyang could soon conduct a missile or other weapons test.
- Emergency Anti-epidemic Work Intensified in DPRK KCNA 03 Jan 2021 -- An emergency anti-epidemic work is intensified in the DPRK to thoroughly check the inroads of COVID-19 in the new year, too.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list