Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
October 2020 - North Korea Special Weapons News
- Strict Emergency Anti-Epidemic Measures Taken in DPRK KCNA 31 Oct 2020 -- Stricter anti-epidemic measures for thoroughly checking the inroads of COVID-19 are being taken in the DPRK.
- Kumyagang Power Station No. 2 Completed KCNA 31 Oct 2020 -- Kumyagang Power Station No. 2 was completed and went into operation amid the high flame of the 80-day campaign of loyalty.
- North Korean Community Leaders Granted Right to Sell Sewage as Fertilizer for Farms Radio Free Asia 30 Oct 2020 -- Authorities in North Korea have declared open season on the human manure trade, granting certain community leaders the exclusive right to sell sewage, a greenâ€”or rather brownâ€”alternative to chemical fertilizers in short supply, sources in the country told RFA.
- Soldiers Injured as North Korea Deploys Landmines at Sino-Korean Border to Stop Escapees Radio Free Asia 27 Oct 2020 -- Dozens of North Korean soldiers were injured in two separate incidents while they were laying landmines near the Sino-Korean border to block citizens from fleeing to China to escape grim economic conditions made worse by coronavirus controls, sources in the country told RFA.
- Emergency Anti-Epidemic Work Intensified in DPRK KCNA 27 Oct 2020 -- The campaign for thoroughly checking the inroad of the malignant virus is being intensified in the DPRK.
- North Korea Punishes Unauthorized Mask Makers Hoping to Profit From COVID-19 Demand Radio Free Asia 26 Oct 2020 -- North Korea is cracking down on companies that manufacture coronavirus facemasks without a license, a move that sources told RFA said was aimed at protecting factories in the capital Pyongyang and stopping provincial factories from cashing in on surging mask demand.
- Cash-Strapped North Korea Orders Workers in China to Pay Into 'Loyalty Fund' Radio Free Asia 26 Oct 2020 -- Authorities in North Korea have ordered trade workers dispatched by the government to China to pay "loyalty funds" to help Pyongyang deal with shortfalls brought on by the prolonged coronavirus pandemic, even as the workers struggle to make ends meet during a year-long downturn in commerce, sources in China told RFA.
- Emergency Anti-epidemic Work Intensified in Public Service Facilities KCNA 24 Oct 2020 -- The officials and employees of the public service facilities across the country are further ratcheting up the emergency anti-epidemic work.
- Flow of North Korean Refugees Into South Korea Decreases Amid COVID-19 Controls Radio Free Asia 22 Oct 2020 -- The number of North Korean refugees arriving in South Korea has fallen dramatically since January, a result of China's closing borders with its neighbors to combat the coronavirus, relief experts in Seoul said.
- S. Korea's ruling party chief hopes for breakthrough in ties with DPRK next year People's Daily 22 Oct 2020 -- South Korea's ruling party chief on Wednesday said he hoped for a new opportunity for better relations next year with the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK).
- Recovery Campaign Brisk in DPRK KCNA 22 Oct 2020 -- The construction for recovery from damage by flooding and typhoons in the summer is still now going on at a lightening tempo in the DPRK.
- North Korea Tells Citizens to Report on Illegal Contact with Foreigners Radio Free Asia 21 Oct 2020 -- Authorities in North Korea are urging citizens living near the border with China to report on neighbors who have had contact with people outside the country, in what sources said is an effort to blame South Korean spies for long-term border closures that have crippled the local economy and ruined livelihoods.
- S Korean Ministry Reportedly Observes Sharp Year-on-Year Drop in N Korean Defectors Sputnik 21 Oct 2020 -- A sharp year-on-year fall in the number of North Korean defectors arriving in South Korea has been registered in the third quarter of 2020, the South Korean Ministry of Unification said on Wednesday, according to domestic media reports.
- North Koreans Scoff as Government Mobilizes Them for '80-Day Battle' Radio Free Asia 20 Oct 2020 -- North Koreans are grumbling at the latest "80-day battle" military-style mobilization scheme, with residents saying the campaign of forced labor and has few clear goals beyond solidifying loyalty and devotion to the state, sources in the country told RFA.
- Emergency Anti-epidemic Activities Intensified in DPRK KCNA 19 Oct 2020 -- It has been carried out in an offensive way by all emergency anti-epidemic units to keep the current anti-epidemic stability.
- Rights Group Says North Korean Detainees Routinely Tortured and Degraded VOA 19 Oct 2020 -- North Korea's pretrial detention system is characterized by systemic torture, degrading treatment and rampant corruption, according to a new report by Human Rights Watch.
- North Korea's New Missle Appears Designed to Overwhelm US Defenses VOA 16 Oct 2020 -- North Korea's new intercontinental ballistic missile, unveiled at a military parade last week, appears designed to overwhelm U.S. missile defenses, security analysts say, a development that may spur the U.S. to add costly new interceptors.
- Emergency Anti-epidemic Front across Country Is Kept Impregnable KCNA 15 Oct 2020 -- Officials of the emergency anti-epidemic units across the country are active for further consolidating anti-epidemic front.
- North Korean Measures to Prevent Coronavirus Threaten Food Security, Rights: UN Expert Radio Free Asia 15 Oct 2020 -- Measures taken by North Korea to prevent the coronavirus from entering its borders have severely impacted trade, which in turn has increased widespread food insecurity in the country, while putting its citizens at risk of heightened rights violations, according to a United Nations expert.
- Top DPRK leader continues inspection of reconstruction sites People's Daily 15 Oct 2020 -- Kim Jong Un, top leader of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), continued his inspection of reconstruction sites in the country's South Hamgyong Province, the official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) reported on Thursday.
- Supreme Leader Kim Jong Un Inspects Reconstruction Sites in South Hamgyong Province KCNA 15 Oct 2020 -- Kim Jong Un, chairman of the Workers' Party of Korea (WPK), chairman of the State Affairs Commission of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) and supreme commander of the armed forces of the DPRK, provided guidance inspecting reconstruction sites in the eastern area including Sinpho City and Hongwon County in South Hamgyong Province.
- 80-Day Campaign Begins in DPRK KCNA 14 Oct 2020 -- The 80-day campaign has begun in the DPRK.
- Supreme Leader Kim Jong Un Inspects Rehabilitation Site in Komdok Area of South Hamgyong Province KCNA 14 Oct 2020 -- Kim Jong Un, chairman of the Workers' Party of Korea (WPK), chairman of the State Affairs Commission of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) and supreme commander of the armed forces of the DPRK, inspected the rehabilitation site in the Komdok area of South Hamgyong Province.
- S. Korea calls on DPRK to return to dialogue for substantive progress People's Daily 12 Oct 2020 -- South Korea called on the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) on Sunday to return to the dialogue table for substantive progress in the complete denuclearization of and a permanent peace settlement on the Korean Peninsula.
- Supreme Leader Kim Jong Un Has Photo Session with Participants in Military Parade KCNA 12 Oct 2020 -- Kim Jong Un, chairman of the Workers' Party of Korea (WPK), chairman of the State Affairs Commission of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) and supreme commander of the armed forces of the DPRK, had a photo session with the participants in the military parade for celebrating the 75th anniversary of the founding of the WPK on Oct. 11.
- North Korea holds Mass Games to celebrate ruling party founding anniv. Press TV 12 Oct 2020 -- North Korea has celebrated the 75th anniversary of the establishment of its ruling Workers' Party with a mass gymnastics show featuring tens of thousands of performers.
- Some North Koreans Bristle at 'Sneaky' Army Parade, Mock Kim's Apology Radio Free Asia 12 Oct 2020 -- North Korean leader Kim Jong Un delivered on a pledge to show a "new strategic weapon to the world," unveiling a new intercontinental ballistic missile at a huge military parade, but residents of the reclusive country told RFA Kim's tearful apology for economic shortcomings came up short.
- Military Parade Marks Founding Anniversary of WPK KCNA 10 Oct 2020 -- A military parade began in Kim Il Sung Square at 00:00 of October 10, the 75th founding anniversary of the Workers' Party of Korea.
- Supreme Leader Kim Jong Un Delivers Speech at Military Parade KCNA 10 Oct 2020 -- Kim Jong Un, supreme leader of the Party, state and armed forces of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea, delivered a speech at the military parade held in celebration of the 75th anniversary of the founding of the Workers' Party of Korea.
- North Korea unveils new ballistic missile, vows strong response to 'hostile forces' Press TV 10 Oct 2020 -- North Korea has unveiled a new intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) at a military parade during which leader Kim Jung-un vowed to preemptively mobilize his strongest military power in the face of any foreign threat.
- North Korea Shows Off Mystery New ICBM in Massive Display of Military Might â€“ Photos, Videos Sputnik 10 Oct 2020 -- North Korea carried out a test of what was thought to be its longest-range intercontinental ballistic missile, the Hwasong-15, in November 2017. With a range of 13,000 km, the nuclear-capable missile could theoretically hit anywhere inside the US. In July 2019, US Forces Korea confirmed the missile's potential.
- North Korea Shows Off New ICBM During Nighttime Parade VOA 10 Oct 2020 -- North Korea unveiled what defense analysts say appears to be a new intercontinental ballistic missile and other new weapons systems during a carefully choreographed, pre-dawn military parade Saturday.
- WPK Defending Destiny of People KCNA 09 Oct 2020 -- New houses have been built in disaster areas of the DPRK.
- North Korea Might Unveil October Surprise During Parade for Party's 75th Anniversary Radio Free Asia 09 Oct 2020 -- As North Korea finishes preparations for a massive military parade to commemorate the 75th anniversary of the Oct. 10, 1945 founding of the ruling Korean Workers' Party, experts expect the reclusive country will showcase vaunted "new strategic weapons" in what could be a signal to the United States ahead of the Nov. 3 U.S. presidential election.
- North Korean Businessman in Malaysia Loses Appeal Against Extradition to US Radio Free Asia 08 Oct 2020 -- The Kuala Lumpur High Court on Thursday rejected a North Korean businessman's appeal against being extradited to the United States on money laundering charges, but he will appeal to the Federal Court to reverse that decision, according to his lawyer.
- Fears for Senior Diplomat's Family in North Korea After South Korean Lawmakers Reveal His Defection Radio Free Asia 07 Oct 2020 -- Lawmakers in South Korea revealed Wednesday that a senior North Korean diplomat who disappeared in 2018 while stationed in Italy has been living in the South, but U.S. experts said the revelation could endanger the defector envoy's family still living in the North.
- North Korean Port Cities Hit Hard by Trade Sanctions, Coronavirus Closures Radio Free Asia 06 Oct 2020 -- North Korean port cities are in trouble, with idle ships rusting in once bustling harbors and state-run trading companies reduced to catching octopuses for sale to China, brought down by double pinch of the coronavirus and international trade sanctions meant to deter Pyongyang's nuclear ambitions, sources told RFA.
- DPRK holds politburo meeting to prepare for 8th party congress People's Daily 06 Oct 2020 -- Kim Jong Un, top leader of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), Monday presided over a Political Bureau meeting to discuss preparation for celebrating the founding anniversary of the Workers' Party of Korea (WPK) on Saturday and for the 8th Party congress in January.
- North Korean leader launches campaign to attain goals for 2020 Press TV 06 Oct 2020 -- North Korean leader Kim Jong-un has launched an 80-day campaign to attain the country's goals in every sector for the year 2020 before a new five-year plan that is set to be unveiled in January.
- Title of KPA Marshal Conferred in DPRK KCNA 06 Oct 2020 -- The title of the Marshal of the Korean People's Army (KPA) was conferred on Ri Pyong Chol, vice-chairman of the Central Military Commission of the Workers' Party of Korea (WPK) and vice-chairman of the Central Committee of the WPK, and Pak Jong Chon, chief of the General Staff of the KPA.
- Chairman of WPK Central Military Commission Kim Jong Un Issues Order to Promote Military Ranks of Senior Officials KCNA 06 Oct 2020 -- Kim Jong Un, chairman of the Central Military Commission of the Workers' Party of Korea, issued an order on Monday to promote the military ranks of senior officials on the occasion of the 75th founding anniversary of the glorious WPK.
- 19th Meeting of Political Bureau of 7th Central Committee of WPK Held KCNA 06 Oct 2020 -- The 19th meeting of the Political Bureau of the 7th Central Committee of the Workers' Party of Korea (WPK) took place at the office building of the Central Committee of the WPK on Monday.
- Chairman of SAC of DPRK Kim Jong Un Sends Message of Sympathy to U.S. President KCNA 03 Oct 2020 -- Kim Jong Un, chairman of the State Affairs Commission of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea, sent a message of sympathy to Donald J. Trump, president of the United States of America, on Oct. 3.
- Application of Scientific Methods to Anti-Epidemic Work Brisk in DPRK KCNA 02 Oct 2020 -- The emergency anti-epidemic units at all levels are directing great efforts to taking measures for thoroughly checking the inroads of COVID-19 in a scientific way.
- Supreme Leader Kim Jong Un Inspects Sites of Reconstruction in Kimhwa County KCNA 02 Oct 2020 -- Kim Jong Un, chairman of the Workers' Party of Korea (WPK), chairman of the State Affairs Commission of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) and supreme commander of the armed forces of the DPRK, inspected the site of reconstruction from damage in Kimhwa County.
- North Korea Arms State-Run Farms and Businesses to Prevent Theft Radio Free Asia 02 Oct 2020 -- North Korean authorities are sending weapons to state enterprises and cooperative farms that have been ordered to create armed security forces to guard warehouses against theft of food and equipment by people driven to theft by dire economic conditions under the coronavirus pandemic, sources in the country told RFA.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list