N. Korea fired two projectiles towards East Sea: S. Korea's JCS
Updated: 2019-11-28 17:12:43 KST
We begin with North Korea’s latest provocationThe reclusive regime fired off two projectiles into the East Sea this afternoon which comes in less than a month since its last projectile tests.
The South Korean military is now closely monitoring the North while analysing the specifics of the projectiles.
For more let’s connect with our Kim Ji-yeon. Ji-yeon fill us in
North Korea carried out its 13th projectile test so far this year on Thursday.
South Korea's Joint Chiefs of Staff said two short-range projectiles were fired from the eastern region of Yeonpo . Hamkyongnam-do Province towards the East Sea at around 4:59 PM today.
The projectiles flew some 380 kilometers while their maximum flight altitude detected at 97 kilometers.
Like previous instances the military says Thursday's projectiles appear to have been fired from a super-large multiple rocket launcher.
The previous provocation by Pyeongyang was carried out 28 days ago when it fired two missiles towards the East Sea.
South Korea's military says it's working with the U.S. to verify the projectiles.
It's also monitoring the North's movements while maintaining readiness posture in case of additional projectiles.
Jeon Dong-jin , deputy director of operation at the Joint Chiefs of Staff expressed strong regret over the North's latest launch and called for the North to refrain from engaging in provocative acts that heightens military tensions in the Korean peninsula.
The latest provocation comes less than a week after South Korea criticized North Korea for violating the inter-Korean Comprehensive Military Agreement, following the regime's artillery fire drills just north of the western sea border with the South from the border islet of Changrin last Saturday.
Seoul's defense ministry has called on the North to immediately stop all military actions along the border that could heighten military tensions and to comply with the pact.
The North is yet to respond to Seoul's complaint.
A South Korean military source confirmed the North's move is intended to pressure Seoul and Washington by hinting that a lack of progress in denuclearization talks by the year's end could signal a turning point that results in heightened military tensions, nullifying the military agreement.
That's all I have for now.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|