North Korea despaired of continuing talks with US
IRNA - Islamic Republic News Agency
Tehran, April 15, IRNA -- Two rounds of talks between the US and North Korean leaders have so far failed to achieve tangible results and continuation of this trend has made Pyongyang's officials despaired of continuing negotiations with the American side to achieve a win-win deal.
In recent years, the United States and North Korea have experienced upward and downward relations. The disputes surrounding North Korea's nuclear weapons and ballistic missiles, which went on to become a full-fledged war between them, once lost their colors, and the leaders of the two countries, after decades of disagreement in the global public, sat behind the negotiating table.
But it did not take long for the North Korean authorities to be the disappointed to reach win-win agreement with the president of the United States, Donald Trump, an example of which was the harsher tone of the Pyongyang officials in the face of the US in recent months, to the point where they threatened the White House to leave the negotiations. Last month, North Korea's deputy foreign minister Choe Sun Hui insisted that the North Korean leader will soon decide on whether to end or continue talks with the US government.
North Korea's threats have become effective and have made Trump to retreat at least at his announced policy level. On April 14, at his Twitter page, while praising Kim Jong-Un, Trump accessed North Korea under Un for its immense potential for tremendous growth, economic success and wealth; a literature opposing the literature of the era of hostility when at that time that the US officials in order to describe North Korean leader were using humiliating words such as 'Missile Man', 'Madman', etc.
Trump on Twitter, along with his desire for a third meeting with Kim, said North Korean officials did not hope to improve relations after the event, as in past meetings, not even one single of their interconnected problems has been resolved.
The first visit of Trump and Kim dates back to Singapore's meeting in June 2018 which achieved no result for either side. The leaders of the two countries tested their luck for the second time in Hanoi, the capital of Vietnam; the meeting that not only did not achieve, but the leaders of the two countries left negotiations earlier than scheduled, showing that the demands of the two countries are far from one another.
Although Vietnam meeting was held confidentially and behind the closed doors, the various narratives and inconsistencies of the two countries showed deep divisions between them. North Korean officials assessed the US opposition to lift sanctions among the reason for failure of negotiation. According to North Korean Foreign Minister Ri Yong-ho, the country's leader only wants to lift some of the sanctions affecting the lives and business of the people, promising to permanently stop all their missile and nuclear tests.
But Trump's narrative of the bilateral meeting was different, believing that Kim did not intend to disarm all sectors. 'The North Korean authorities wanted to eliminate a large part of their nuclear facilities, but we could not stop all sanctions,' the president said. "Sanctions are still in place. We know every inch of this country and we need to get what we want.'
After the meeting, the North Korean leader, while urging Americans to strive for a just and acceptable deal, also explicitly stated that he was uncertain about the honesty of the American side.
According to observers, Trump in North Korea seeks to implement the 'Libyan model'; an issue that was broadcast by Reuters after a failed meeting between the leaders of the two countries. According to the report, the president of the United States during Hanoi talks had offered a similar offer that has been offered for Libya's disarmament; a plan that his national security adviser John Bolton put emphasis on it put it forward as a prescription for the US foreign policy towards North Korea.
The model of Libya relates to how the United States succeeded in dismantling nuclear program of this North African country in 2003, which the Tripoli authorities completely stopped as a result of threats (after the US invasion of Iraq) and the pressure of US sanctions on their nuclear program and completely destroyed its nuclear infrastructure.
Since the United States has signed neither an agreement in Libyan model nor a concession to Libya, it has become a successful model in the US foreign policy; the White House officials are trying to prescribe it to other nuclear countries like North Korea.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|