Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
March 2018 - North Korea Special Weapons News
- U.N. imposes sanctions against Pyongyang, involving Taiwan national CNA 31 Mar 2018 -- The Security Council of the United Nations has imposed sanctions against North Korea, which involved a Taiwanese national who has been accused of helping Pyongyang evade international trading bans.
- Kim's visit highlights China's central role in denuclearizing Korean Peninsula People's Daily 30 Mar 2018 -- The recent visit to Beijing by Kim Jong Un, the leader of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), has reaffirmed China's central role in denuclearizing the Korean Peninsula.
- UN blacklists dozens of ships, companies over North Korea links Press TV 30 Mar 2018 -- The United Nations Security Council (UNSC) has blacklisted dozens of vessels and shipping companies accused of helping North Korea circumvent sanctions, exerting further pressure on Pyongyang at a time when North's leader Kim Jong-un plans to meet with the South Korean and US presidents in coming months.
- S.Korea, DPRK agree to hold summit on April 27 in Panmunjom People's Daily 29 Mar 2018 -- South Korea and the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) on Thursday agreed to hold a summit on April 27 in the truce village of Panmunjom, the first meeting between the leaders of the two sides in 11 years.
- N Korean top diplomat arrives in China after talks in Finland Press TV 22 Mar 2018 -- A senior North Korean diplomat has arrived in China following a visit to Finland, where he held informal talks with officials from South Korea and the United States over a possible summit between North Korean leader Kim Jong-un and US President Donald Trump.
- N Korea to Convene Supreme Assembly Ahead of Talks With S Korea - Reports Sputnik 22 Mar 2018 -- North Korea will convene a meeting of the Supreme People's Assembly (SPA), the country's legislative body, on April 11 in Pyongyang, just weeks ahead of the planned high-level summits with South Korea and the United States, the North's state media said on Thursday.
- Trump's Unorthodox North Korea Diplomacy Begins at Top VOA 22 Mar 2018 -- U.S. President Donald Trump's sudden decision to meet with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, without first working out the framework of a nuclear deal, could produce a historic agreement, but it would come at the beginning of a long negotiation process.
- N Korea says diplomatic overtures signal its strength, not sanctions Press TV 21 Mar 2018 -- In its first comment on a fast paced rapprochement on the Korean Peninsula, Pyongyang has dismissed speculation that tough sanctions brought North Korea to the negotiating table with the US and the South, stressing that the North is now driving a "peace offensive."
- South Korea, DPRK, US May Hold Trilateral Summit Sputnik 21 Mar 2018 -- South Korea, North Korea and the United States may hold a trilateral summit to denuclearize the Korean Peninsula and ensure peace in the region, South Korean President Moon Jae-in said on Wednesday.
- North Korea: 'Peace Offensive' With US, South Korea Shows Strength VOA 21 Mar 2018 -- North Korea is contending that its recent "dialogue peace offensive" with the United States and South Korea is the result of national strength, not pressure from international economic sanctions aimed at ending Pyongyang's nuclear and missile tests.
- Japan Wants Abductees, Mid-Range Missiles on Table in US-North Korea Talks VOA 20 Mar 2018 -- Japanese leaders, while calling for a united front with the United States and South Korea ahead of proposed U.S.-North Korea nuclear talks, are seeking to thrust issues of their own onto the agenda.
- Op-ed: Sustain talks on Korean Peninsula until good outcomes achieved People's Daily 19 Mar 2018 -- The Korean Peninsula has entered into a critical period for dialogue, as a summit will be held between the Republic of Korea (ROK) President Moon Jae-in and the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) top leader Kim Jong Un in late April, and US President Donald Trump has reportedly agreed to meet Kim by May.
- Swedish FM Calls Recent Talks With North Korean Counterpart 'Constructive' Sputnik 19 Mar 2018 -- Swedish Minister for Foreign Affairs Margot Wallstrom on Monday called the recent negotiations with North Korean Foreign Minister Ri Yong Ho, held in Stockholm last week, "constructive," adding that the talks constituted an "important political dialogue."
- Readout of National Security Advisor H.R. McMaster's Meeting with National Security Office Director Chung Eui-yong of the Republic of Korea and Secretary General of the National Security Secretariat Shotaro Yachi of Japan The White House 19 Mar 2018
- North Korean diplomat leaves for Finland to attend Western-dominated meeting Press TV 18 Mar 2018 -- A North Korean diplomat is on his way to Finland to attend a meeting with former Western and South Korean officials as tensions ease on Pyongyang's nuclear and missile program.
- South Korea: North Korean and Former US Diplomats to Meet in Finland VOA 18 Mar 2018 -- South Korean media said Sunday a senior North Korean diplomat is headed to Finland to meet with former U.S. diplomats, this after a North Korean delegation wrapped up three days of talks with Swedish diplomats that could lead to a possible meeting between U.S. President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.
- North Korea Poses 'Most Urgent Security Threat,' Pacom Chief Says AFPS 15 Mar 2018 -- The United States faces the most "complex and volatile" security environment in the Indo-Pacific region in recent memory, with North Korea the top threat, the commander of U.S. Pacific Command said today.
- North Korea's top diplomat heads to Sweden to confirm venue for US talks Press TV 15 Mar 2018 -- North Korean Foreign Minister Ri Yong Ho is on his way to Sweden to possibly confirm the venue for upcoming peace talks with the United States.
- 'Once hard ice melts:' China, Russia back Korean peace Press TV 15 Mar 2018 -- China and Russia have expressed their full support for a peace drive launched by South Korea to resolve the persisting Korean crisis, a top South Korean official says.
- 'Japan's Abe considering summit with North Korean leader' Press TV 14 Mar 2018 -- Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe is reportedly considering holding a summit with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un, despite earlier reservations about dialog with Pyongyang.
- Monitoring System to Hold North Korea Accountable for Rights Abuse VOA 14 Mar 2018 -- Progress is being made in setting up a system to monitor and document human rights violations in North Korea, particularly those that may amount to crimes against humanity, according to the U.N.
- As Trump and Kim Look to Meet, China Watches From Sidelines VOA 14 Mar 2018 -- China is voicing support for the possible U.S.-North Korea summit, despite concerns that it will be left out of talks that could dramatically alter regional security and political dynamics.
- Xi expects smooth DPRK-ROK summit, DPRK-U.S. dialogue People's Daily 13 Mar 2018 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping met Monday with Chung Eui-yong, top national security advisor for the President of the Republic of Korea (ROK) Moon Jae-in, in Beijing.
- Tillerson Cuts Short Africa Trip to Deal with North Korea VOA 12 Mar 2018 -- U.S. Secretary of State Rex Tillerson is cutting short his trip to Africa by about a day to deal with pressing matters including North Korea.
- US will make no concessions to North Korea: Pompeo Press TV 12 Mar 2018 -- US President Donald Trump will make no concession to North Korean leader Kim Jong-un during their upcoming meeting because Washington has put Pyongyang in a weak position, CIA Director Mike Pompeo says.
- North Korea yet to comment on Trump-Kim meeting plan: South Korea Press TV 12 Mar 2018 -- South Korea says it has not yet received an official response from the North about a summit between US President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong-un, which the American president has said is being planned for May.
- US Has Yet to Hear Back from North Korea on Trump-Kim Meeting VOA 12 Mar 2018 -- The U.S. said Monday it has yet to hear back from North Korea in the days since President Donald Trump agreed to meet in person with Pyongyang's reclusive leader, Kim Jong Un.
- North Korea Nuclear Deal Would Require Major US Concession Too VOA 12 Mar 2018 -- The yet to be confirmed summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un has raised expectations that a major breakthrough in resolving the nuclear crisis on the Korean Peninsula is within reach.
- Trump says N Korea wants to 'make peace', praises Pyongyang's restraint Press TV 11 Mar 2018 -- US President Donald Trump has said he believes North Korea desires to "make peace," praising the Asian country for its restraint following his declaration of a possible summit between him and leader Kim Jong-un.
- US Vows No Concessions to North Korea Ahead of Trump-Kim Talks VOA 11 Mar 2018 -- U.S. officials vowed Sunday they would not make any concessions to North Korea ahead of a planned summit between U.S. President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and continue to pressure the Pyongyang regime.
- US vows to keep pressure on North Korea ahead of Trump-Kim summit Press TV 10 Mar 2018 -- The United States has warned that it will keep sanctions pressure on North Korea until Pyongyang takes concrete steps to end its nuclear program after President Donald Trump agreed to meet North Koran leader Kim Jong-un.
- Deal with North Korea 'very much in the making, US president says Press TV 10 Mar 2018 -- US President Donald Trump says an agreement is "very much in the making" with regard to resolving the existing dispute over North Korea's nuclear weapons program.
- Trump agrees to meet DPRK's Kim by May, tweets about "great progress" People's Daily 09 Mar 2018 -- U.S. President Donald Trump has agreed to meet Kim Jong Un, top leader of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), by May at Kim's invitation, "to achieve permanent denuclearization", a visiting South Korean envoy said here on Thursday.
- North Korean invitation shows US isolation strategy working: Pence Press TV 09 Mar 2018 -- US Vice President Mike Pence says North Korean leader Kim Jong-un's invitation to President Donald Trump to a historic summit shows that the American strategy to isolate Pyongyang is working.
- Tillerson says US ready for 'talks' with North Korea, not 'negotiations' Press TV 09 Mar 2018 -- US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson says Washington is ready for "talks" with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un, not "negotiations."
- South Korea, China, Russia welcome possible meeting between Trump and Kim Press TV 09 Mar 2018 -- An unexpected announcement that a meeting is being planned between the leaders of long-time adversaries the United States and North Korea has been welcomed by regional powers China and Russia as well as South Korea.
- Donald Trump, Kim Jong-un to meet by May: South Korea Press TV 09 Mar 2018 -- US President Donald Trump has agreed to meet North Korean leader Kim Jong-un by May, says a senior South Korean official, claiming that Pyongyang is ready to get rid of its nuclear weapons under certain conditions.
- Trump Agrees To Meet North Korea's Kim To Seek Denuclearization Deal RFE/RL 09 Mar 2018 -- U.S. President Donald Trump agreed to meet with North Korean Leader Kim Jong Un by May to seek a deal to remove nuclear weapons from the Korean Peninsula, a senior South Korean official said after meeting with Trump at the White House.
- Encouraged by proposed DPRK-US talks, Guterres reiterates support for peaceful denuclearization of Korean Peninsula UN News 09 Mar 2018 -- United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres on Friday said he is "encouraged" by the announcement of an agreement between the United States and the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) to hold a summit meeting by May.
- Human Rights Questions Loom Over Possible US-North Korea Summit VOA 09 Mar 2018 -- The announced talks between U.S. President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un have been broadly welcomed following years of tension over the North's nuclear weapons and missile programs. Less clear is how such a meeting could affect human rights in North Korea, which has one of the world's most oppressive governments.
- Hidden Risks Seen in Trump's High-Stakes Decision to Meet With Kim Jong Un VOA 09 Mar 2018 -- As President Donald Trump embarks on an unprecedented diplomatic mission to end North Korea's nuclear program, he faces complex, unresolved issues, according to former U.S. officials and analysts who have dealt with North Korea extensively.
- White House: 'Concrete Steps' Must Precede Any Trump, Kim Meeting VOA 09 Mar 2018 -- The White House on Friday emphasized that the United States had made "zero concessions" in agreeing to face-to-face talks between President Donald Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.
- Readout of President Donald J. Trump's Call with President Xi Jinping of China The White House 09 Mar 2018
- Statement from Vice President Mike Pence on North Korea The White House 09 Mar 2018
- Trump to Meet With Kim in Visit to North Korea VOA 09 Mar 2018 -- U.S. President Donald Trump has agreed to meet with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un in Pyongyang “by May” to discuss ending the North’s threatening nuclear program. The surprising announcement was made Thursday evening by Chung Eui-yong, the head of South Korea’s National Security Office, who was in Washington to brief Trump, and White House officials including National Security Advisor H.R. McMaster, on diplomatic progress made during his visit to Pyongyang earlier this week.
- Remarks by Republic of Korea National Security Advisor Chung Eui-Yong The White House 08 Mar 2018
- Korean Peninsula denuclearization still distant target: South Korea's Moon Press TV 08 Mar 2018 -- South Korea's President Moon Jae-in says a recent North Korean proposal for holding disarmament talks is a positive step but insists there is a long way to go to achieve a full denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula.
- South Korean Envoys Head to US to Discuss North Korean Offer VOA 08 Mar 2018 -- Two South Korean envoys are heading to the United States to brief Trump administration officials about their talks with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.
- N Korea Sends 'Positive Signals' But There Is Long Way From Talks - Tillerson Sputnik 08 Mar 2018 -- North Korea might be sending some positive signals, but there is still a long way to go before Washington and Pyongyang can start negotiations, US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said on Thursday during a visit to Ethiopia.
- US Urges African Nations to Put Diplomatic, Economic Pressure on N Korea Sputnik 08 Mar 2018 -- African countries need to increase participation in the global campaign of maximum economic and diplomatic pressure on North Korea, US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson said during a press conference on Thursday with African Union Commission Chairperson Moussa Faki.
- China Urges North, US to Talk Soon VOA 08 Mar 2018 -- China's Foreign Minister Wang Yi has urged North Korea and the United States to hold talks as soon as possible, calling on all parties to take steps to move the situation forward and, as he put it, fight for peace.
- Analysts: Trump Administration Lacks Experts Needed for North Korea Talks VOA 08 Mar 2018 -- President Donald Trump reacted positively to an unexpected willingness from North Korea to conduct talks on freezing its nuclear program, but some analysts are cautioning that the Trump administration does not have the experts in place needed to prepare and conduct such difficult negotiations.
- South Korea says 'too early to be optimistic' about North Press TV 07 Mar 2018 -- South Korean President Moon Jae-in says he has no plans to ease sanctions on the rival North only because of Pyongyang's offer to discuss denuclearization with the United States.
- 'Too Early To Be Optimistic' On North, Says South Korea's Moon RFE/RL 07 Mar 2018 -- South Korean President Moon Jae-in has said it was "too early to be optimistic" about the North's offer to discuss denuclearization with the United States.
- DPRK shows willingness to talk "candidly" with U.S. about denuclearization, normalized ties People's Daily 07 Mar 2018 -- The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) has shown willingness to talk "candidly" with the U.S. side about the denuclearization issue and normalized ties between Pyongyang and Washington.
- Trump welcomes progress on Korean Peninsula issue People's Daily 07 Mar 2018 -- U.S. President Donald Trump said on Tuesday that there was progress on the Korean Peninsula issue after the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) expressed willingness to denuclearize the peninsula.
- US sanctions N Korea over alleged assassination of Kim Jong-un's brother Press TV 07 Mar 2018 -- The US has imposed further sanctions against North Korea after formally accusing North Korean leader Kim Jong-un of involvement in the assassination of his half-brother in 2017.
- Trump: US 'Willing to Go Either Way' with North Korea VOA 07 Mar 2018 -- President Donald Trump said the United States is "willing to go either way" in response to North Korea's development of nuclear-tipped missiles, adding "hopefully it's going to be the proper way."
- North Korea Nuclear Talks – Approach With Caution, Analysts Say VOA 07 Mar 2018 -- North Korea's agreement to enter into talks with the United States could be a diplomatic breakthrough to reach a peaceful resolution to the nuclear crisis, or a ruse to weaken sanctions, or both.
- US Sanctions N. Korea over Poisoning Death of Estranged Brother VOA 07 Mar 2018 -- The United States says it will impose new economic sanctions on North Korea for using a lethal chemical nerve agent in last year's assassination of the estranged half-brother of leader Kim Jong Un.
- Kim Jong Un Meets Delegation of Special Envoy of S. Korean President KCNA 06 Mar 2018 -- Kim Jong Un, chairman of the Workers' Party of Korea (WPK), chairman of the State Affairs Commission of the DPRK and supreme commander of the Korean People's Army, received the members of a delegation of special envoy of the south Korean president who arrived in Pyongyang on Monday.
- Imposition of Chemical and Biological Weapons Control and Warfare Elimination Act Sanctions on North Korea US Dept. of State 06 Mar 2018 -- On February 22, 2018, the United States determined under the Chemical and Biological Weapons Control and Warfare Elimination Act of 1991 (CBW Act) that the Government of North Korea used the chemical warfare agent VX to assassinate Kim Jong Nam, in the Kuala Lumpur airport.
- Kim Jong Un Hosts Dinner for Members of Special Envoy Delegation of S. Korean President KCNA 06 Mar 2018 -- Respected Supreme Leader Kim Jong Un, chairman of the Workers' Party of Korea (WPK), chairman of the State Affairs Commission of the DPRK and supreme commander of the Korean People's Army, Monday hosted a dinner for the members of the delegation of the special envoy of the south Korean president on a visit to Pyongyang.
- Top DPRK leader reaches "satisfactory" agreement with envoy over S. Korean president's intention for summit People's Daily 06 Mar 2018 -- Kim Jong Un, top leader of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), has made "a satisfactory agreement" with the South Korean envoy over a summit intention, Korean Central News Agency reported Tuesday.
- North Korea offers to give up nukes in exchange for security guarantees Press TV 06 Mar 2018 -- North Korea has said it would consider abandoning nuclear weapons in exchange for security guarantees, a South Korean envoy says.
- North, South Korean Presidents Agree To Hold April Summit RFE/RL 06 Mar 2018 -- South Korea says it has agreed with North Korea to hold summit talks between the two countries' presidents in late April.
- Satellites Reportedly Detect Signs of Activity at North Korean Nuclear Facility Sputnik 06 Mar 2018 -- Satellites have detected signs of activity of one of the North Korean Yongbyon Nuclear Scientific Research Center's reactors, which might indicate that the country has resumed the plutonium production, 38 North website reported on Tuesday.
- 'Protect the momentum' and seize opportunities offered by latest inter-Korean talks, urges UN chief UN News 06 Mar 2018 -- Welcoming the progress in the latest talks between the Democratic People's Republic of Korea and the Republic of Korea, the United Nations Secretary-General has highlighted the need to utilize the opportunities it offers to find a peaceful path forward.
- Trump: US 'Willing to Go Either Way' with North Korea VOA 06 Mar 2018 -- President Donald Trump said the United States is "willing to go either way" in response to North Korea's development of nuclear-tipped missiles, adding "hopefully it's going to be the proper way."
- Statement from Vice President Mike Pence on North Korea The White House 06 Mar 2018
- North Korea Sanctions Impact Mitigated By Illicit Trade VOA 05 Mar 2018 -- It is difficult to gauge the impact of the increased sanctions imposed on North Korea, with reports of both plummeting exports in the last year and increasing illicit trade of banned minerals and arms.
- South Korea 'to send high-level delegation to North' Press TV 04 Mar 2018 -- South Korea has announced a decision to send a high-level political delegation to the North, raising hopes for a diplomatic solution to the decades-long conflict on the Korean Peninsula.
- South Korea To Send High-level Officials To North For Talks RFE/RL 04 Mar 2018 -- South Korea's president will send a delegation led by his national security director to North Korea this week for talks on how to ease nuclear tensions and help push for talks between Pyongyang and Washington.
- Seoul Plans to Send Special Envoys to DPRK - Reports Sputnik 04 Mar 2018 -- South Korean President Moon Jae-in wants to send National Intelligence Service (NIS) chief Suh Hoon and head of the National Security Office (NSO) Chung Eui-yong as delegates to North Korea for taking part in bilateral talks, local media reported on Sunday.
- High-level South Korean Delegation to Hold Discussions With the North VOA 04 Mar 2018 -- South Korean President Moon Jae-in will send a high-level special delegation to North Korea on Monday to discuss ways in which relations can be improved and to ease tension on the peninsula, South Korea's presidential Blue House announced on Sunday.
- North Korea must 'denuke' before US agrees to talks: Trump Press TV 04 Mar 2018 -- US President Donald Trump says his administration will sit down for negotiations with North Korea only if Pyongyang agrees to eliminate its nuclear arsenal.
- We Won't 'Beg for Dialogue': North Korea Rules Out Talks With US Preconditions Sputnik 04 Mar 2018 -- North Korea lambasted the US for making up preconditions for dialogue between states, as Seoul prepares to send an envoy to Pyongyang to find a way to ease the nuclear standoff.
- DPRK Foreign Ministry Spokesman on DPRK-U.S. Dialogue KCNA 03 Mar 2018 -- The spokesperson for the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the DPRK gave the following answer to a question put by KCNA on March 3 as regards the attitude of the United States taken after we have stated our intention for DPRK-U.S. dialogue:
- North Korea vows to 'counter' US over military drills with South Press TV 03 Mar 2018 -- North Korea has warned that it would "counter the US by its own mode of counteraction" if Washington holds joint military exercises with Seoul.
- China delays US request against North Korea at UN Security Council Press TV 03 Mar 2018 -- China has postponed a US request for a UN Security Council committee to blacklist dozens of ships, companies and a Taiwanese individual over violation of sanctions against North Korea.
- N Korea Continues to Make Progress on Missile Program - US Intelligence Sputnik 03 Mar 2018 -- US intelligence assessment of North Korea's nuclear ballistic missile program shows that Pyongyang is further making progress on its development, local media reported citing a US administration official.
- Pyongyang Warns It Will 'Counter US' if It Holds Joint Drills With Seoul VOA 03 Mar 2018 -- North Korea warned Saturday it would respond if the U.S. holds joint military drills next month with South Korea, contending they would hinder a recent thaw in relations between the two Koreas.
- U.S. Anti-DPRK Propaganda Slammed KCNA 02 Mar 2018 -- Director of the Press of the Institute for American Studies, Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the DPRK, Thursday answered as follows to a question raised by KCNA as regards "a theory of cooperation of manufacturing chemical weapons" between DPRK and Syria, which has been afloat recently.
- DPRK refutes U.S. accusation of producing chemical weapons with Syria People's Daily 02 Mar 2018 -- The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) Thursday slammed U.S. accusation regarding "a theory of cooperation of manufacturing chemical weapons" between the DPRK and Syria.
- Pentagon warns 10,000 US soldiers 'will die' in opening days of North Korea war Press TV 02 Mar 2018 -- US military chiefs have reportedly warned that a war with North Korea could result in the death or injury of around 10,000 American soldiers in just the opening days, with the number far exceeding the total 7,000 killed in fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan.
- North Korea rejects chemical links to Syria as 'mean US trick' Press TV 02 Mar 2018 -- North Korea has dismissed reports of its cooperation with Syria over chemical weapons, saying such claims are mere US fabrications meant to put more pressure on Pyongyang and justify the American military intervention in Syria.
- 'Dirty Trick': N Korea Slams Claims of Supplying Chemical Weapons to Syria Sputnik 02 Mar 2018 -- Pyongyang has denied reports it provided Damascus with components to produce chemical weapons, denouncing them as a fabrication by the United States to exert pressure on the country, the KCNA news agency reported.
- South Korea's Moon informs Trump of plan to send special envoy to North Korea Press TV 01 Mar 2018 -- South Korean President Moon Jae-in has told his American counterpart Donald Trump that he intends to send a special envoy to Pyongyang in response to an invitation by Kim Jong-un, the North's leader, following the recent Olympic-driven detente between the two Koreas.
- Statement of Policy Research Director at Institute for American Studies of DPRK Foreign Ministry KCNA 01 Mar 2018 -- The director of Policy Research of the Institute for American Studies of the DPRK Foreign Ministry Thursday released the following press statement:
- Pentagon Predicts 10,000 US Military Casualties in Early Days of N. Korean War Sputnik 01 Mar 2018 -- American military leaders who met to discuss a prospective US invasion of North Korea have reportedly claimed the fighting would cause around 10,000 American casualties in the very earliest stages of what could become a protracted conflict.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list