Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
January 2017 - North Korea Special Weapons News
- North Korea Eyes Another Ballistic Missile Launch Sputnik 31 Jan 2017 -- On Monday South Korean military officials indicated that North Korean leader Kim Jong Un may order the launch of a Musudan intermediate-range ballistic missile (IRBM), instead of a long-range missile.
- Analysis: Is North Korea's Collapse Imminent? VOA 30 Jan 2017 -- Despite a growing narrative that North Korea might be teetering on the verge of collapse, there is a lack of consensus among U.S. experts on the imminent downfall of the reclusive regime.
- N Korea May Test Fire Mid-Range Missile Instead of ICBM Due to Technological Gap Sputnik 30 Jan 2017 -- A source in the South Korean Defense Ministry said Pyongyang might test fire an intermediate-range ballistic missile instead of an intercontinental one due to technological gap.
- Washington and Seoul Maintain Different Approaches to Showdown With North Korea Sputnik 30 Jan 2017 -- A recent White House press release didn't confirm that a consensus had been reached between the US and South Korean Presidents on Terminal High Altitude Area Defense (THAAD) during their telephone conversation on January 30, according to Sputnik Korea.
- North Korea Restarts Plutonium Production Reactor Sputnik 28 Jan 2017 -- North Korea has restarted the plutonium-production reactor at its Yongbyon Nuclear Facility.
- Another Threat: North Korea Warns of Retaliation Over US-Seoul War Drills Sputnik 27 Jan 2017 -- After South Korea and the US conducted joint military drills in Pyeongchang this week, North Korea threatened retaliation to what it labeled "mad cap mid-winter" exercises. Beginning January 15 and ending February 3, the drills come amid speculation that the North will again defy UN sanctions by conducting another missile test.
- Monitoring Group: North Korea Likely Resumed Operations at Plutonium Reactor VOA 27 Jan 2017 -- A U.S. group that monitors North Korean weapons development says the communist country has likely resumed operations at a plutonium reactor at its Yongbyon nuclear facility.
- Chinese ministries ban military-type exports to N.Korea People's Daily 26 Jan 2017 -- China has released a list of goods that are banned for export to North Korea on Wednesday, including items and technologies that can be used to build weapons of mass destruction, according to the Ministry of Commerce(MOC) website.
- China Bans Dual-Use Exports to North Korea - Commerce Ministry Sputnik 26 Jan 2017 -- China has imposed a ban on dual-use technology exports to North Korea, the Chinese Commerce Ministry said Thursday.
- North Korean Defector: Kim Jong-Un Would Nuke LA if Threatened Sputnik 26 Jan 2017 -- A North Korean defector and former diplomat has claimed that DPRK leader Kim Jong Un could launch a nuclear missile aimed at Los Angeles, knowing that Washington would retaliate. During a BBC interview, Thae Yong-ho claimed Kim was liable to press "the button on these dangerous weapons when he thinks that his rule and his dynasty is threatened."
- Defector: North Korean Regime Crumbling VOA 26 Jan 2017 -- Declaring that "Kim Jong Un's days are numbered," one of the highest-ranking North Korean officials to ever defect to South Korea shared rare firsthand knowledge and insight into the what he describes as the deteriorating situation inside the secretive and repressive Kim Jong Un regime.
- UN: North Korean Airline Facing Growing Restrictions VOA 25 Jan 2017 -- North Korea's national carrier is facing repercussions from the United Nations Security Council sanctions adopted after the regime's defiant nuclear test last January, as more and more countries join the list of those banning North Korean commercial jets.
- North Korea Threatens to 'Pour Further Misery' on US and Trump Administration Sputnik 23 Jan 2017 -- On Monday North Korea threatened to "pour further misery" on Washington. The announcement came on the 49th anniversary of Pyongyang's 1968 capture of the USS Pueblo intelligence ship.
- CIA Knew Economic Sanctions Wouldn't Halt North Korea's Nuclear Weapons Buildup Sputnik 21 Jan 2017 -- A declassified CIA document from the early 1990s reveals that the US intelligence community knew that economic sanctions against Pyongyang would not cause the country to back off its nuclear expansion program.
- North Korea Calls for 'Fresh Way of Thinking' Under Trump Administration Sputnik 14 Jan 2017 -- North Korea's Cabinet newspaper criticized the administration of US President Barack Obama and said it was time for "a fresh way of thinking," between the nations January 14, seemingly a direct statement to US President-elect Donald Trump.
- US might not shoot down North Korean ballistic missile: Carter Press TV 11 Jan 2017 -- Defense Secretary Ashton Carter has said the United States might decide not to shoot down a North Korean intercontinental ballistic missile, as long as the launch did not pose a threat.
- North Korea has enough plutonium for 10 nuclear bombs: South Korea Press TV 11 Jan 2017 -- South Korea says the North has acquired as much as 50 kilograms of weapons-grade plutonium, enough to manufacture 10 nuclear bombs.
- Release of the Report on Human Rights Abuses and Censorship in North Korea US Dept. of State 11 Jan 2017 -- Today, the State Department released our second report on the Democratic People's Republic of Korea's (DPRK) human rights abuses and censorship
- Treasury Sanctions Additional North Korean Officials and Entities In Response To The North Korean Regime's Serious Human Rights Abuses and Censorship Activities US Treasury 11 Jan 2017 -- The U.S. Department of the Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) today designated seven individuals and identified as blocked two entities of the North Korean regime in response to the regime's ongoing and serious human rights abuses and censorship activities.
- Trump Urged to Make North Korean Human Rights a Priority VOA 11 Jan 2017 -- The incoming U.S. government should make North Korean human rights a key part of its policy toward the communist country, a senior U.S. official says.
- S. Korea closely monitoring DPRK's possible test-launch of long-range missile People's Daily 09 Jan 2017 -- South Korea's defense ministry said Monday that its military is closely watching whether the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) would possibly test-launch its long-range missile.
- US will 'shoot down' North Korean missiles: Pentagon chief Press TV 09 Jan 2017 -- US Defense Secretary Ashton Carter has described North Korea's ballistic missiles program as a "serious threat" to the United States, threatening to shoot down any such missiles aimed at targets in the country.
- North Korea Missile Threat Seen as Test of Incoming Trump Team VOA 09 Jan 2017 -- South Korean officials say they believe Pyongyang's latest threat to test an intercontinental missile is intended to set the stage for future relations with the incoming U.S. administration of President-elect Donald Trump.
- North Korea capable of hitting US mainland by ICBM: Pyongyang Press TV 08 Jan 2017 -- North Korea claims it can test-launch an intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) capable of striking the US mainland at any time from any location, saying Washington's "hostile" policy has forced Pyongyang to develop such missiles.
- Pentagon Chief Carter on North Korean Ballistic Missile: We Would Shoot It Down Sputnik 08 Jan 2017 -- The Pentagon chief has pledged to shoot down a North Korean ballistic missile in case it is launched at the United States or its allies.
- Defector: North Korean Army Chief Was Executed After Wiretap Sputnik 08 Jan 2017 -- A high-profile North Korean defector has offered support for theories that a former North Korean military chief, missing since 2012, was executed, likely after being wiretapped.
- North Korea Aims to Complete New Ballistic Missile Development by 2018 Sputnik 08 Jan 2017 -- Amid political transitions in the United States and South Korea, the DPRK has set an ambitious goal of completing the development of ballistic missile capable of reaching America by year end.
- Defector: Criticism of Nuclear Program Only Strengthens Kim VOA 06 Jan 2017 -- A high-ranking North Korean defector says clashing with Pyongyang over its nuclear program has strengthened Kim Jong Un's leadership, but continued human rights criticism and increased information from the outside world will over time lead to the downfall of the authoritarian and repressive regime.
- US Rejects North Korea's Nuclear Claim Amid Growing Concerns VOA 05 Jan 2017 -- Amid speculation surrounding North Korea's nuclear capabilities, the U.S. government said this week that Pyongyang has yet to acquire the ability to outfit an intercontinental ballistic missile with a nuclear warhead.
- N Korean Nuclear Problem Should Be Priority for Trump Administration - CIA Chief Sputnik 05 Jan 2017 -- CIA head John Brennan said the North Korean nuclear issue should be a high-priority problem for the Donald Trump administration.
- S. Korea vows to maintain pressure, sanctions on DPRK in 2017 People's Daily 04 Jan 2017 -- South Korea's unification ministry in charge of inter-Korean affairs vowed Wednesday to maintain a policy of pressure and sanctions toward the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) in 2017.
- Trump misguided, ignorant over NK nuke issue: experts People's Daily 04 Jan 2017 -- US president-elect Donald Trump is misguided in lashing out at China in his latest Twitter tirade over the North Korean nuclear issue, which only shows up his ignorance about this issue, Chinese experts said.
- Beijing's DPRK efforts 'widely recognized' People's Daily 04 Jan 2017 -- Beijing's efforts and contributions to the denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula are widely acknowledged by the international community, the Foreign Ministry said on Tuesday after US president-elect Donald Trump said China was not helping with the issue.
- Trump: North Korea can never hit US with nuclear missile Press TV 03 Jan 2017 -- US President-elect Donald Trump says North Korea will not be able to build a nuclear missile that can reach the United States.
- White House: Trump Should Collaborate With Russia, China on North Korea Issue Sputnik 03 Jan 2017 -- The White House advised the incoming Trump administration to seek cooperation with countries like China and Russia in order to resolve the North Korea nuclear program issue.
- US May Impose More Sanctions on North Korea for Missile Program - State Dept. Sputnik 03 Jan 2017 -- Talking about North Korea's intention to test-launch an intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM), State Department spokesman John Kirby said that the United States may impose more sanctions on Pyongyang for its nuclear program.
- US Stays Confident in Missile Defense Shield Against North Korea Nuclear Threat Sputnik 03 Jan 2017 -- The United States remains confident its anti-ballistic missile system can shoot down any North Korean missile even though its Ground-based Interceptors (GBIs) have not had a successful test since June 2014, US Department of Defense spokesman Peter Cook said in a briefing on Tuesday.
- Beijing Reiterates Its Commitment to Denuclearization of Korean Peninsula Sputnik 03 Jan 2017 -- Beijing's policy on the North Korean nuclear threat was aimed at denuclearization and ensuring peace and stability on the Korean peninsula, China's Foreign Ministry spokesman said.
- Trump Warns North Korea on ICBM Test VOA 03 Jan 2017 -- U.S. President-elect Donald Trump refuted Kim Jong Un's implied message that his military may soon test an intercontinental ballistic Missile (ICBM) capable of reaching the U.S. mainland, that the North Korean leader made during his New Year's Day address.
- Kim Jong Un vows to strengthen nuclear capabilities in New Year address People's Daily 02 Jan 2017 -- Top leader of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) Kim Jong Un said Sunday in a televised New Year address that the DPRK would continue to strengthen national defense including nuclear capabilities as long as nuclear threat from the United States exists.
- Pentagon warns North Korea against testing nuclear-capable missile Press TV 02 Jan 2017 -- The United States government has warned North Korea against carrying out any "provocative actions," after Pyongyang said it was putting the final touches on a new intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) capable of reaching the US mainland.
- North Korea in final stage of preparing ICBM: Kim Press TV 01 Jan 2017 -- North Korean leader Kim Jong-un has claimed his country is almost ready to test-launch an intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM), amid international pressure on Pyongyang to abandon its arms programs.
- North Korea at Final Stage of Intercontinental Missile Creation - Kim Jong-un Sputnik 01 Jan 2017 -- Kim Jong-un said that North Korea was at final stage of intercontinental ballistic missile development.
- Kim: North Korea in 'Final Stages' of Developing ICBM VOA 01 Jan 2017 -- North Korea's leader says his country is in the final stages of developing an intercontinental ballistic missile.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list