DPRK confirms successful test-firing of fresh ICBM, arousing wide concern
People's Daily Online
(Xinhua) 13:48, July 29, 2017
PYONGYANG, July 29 -- The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) Saturday confirmed the successful test-firing of a second intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) simulating its maximum range, which it said can cover all the territories of the United States.
"The second test-fire of the ICBM Hwasong-14 was successfully carried out at night of July 28, 2017, under the supervision of (DPRK top leader) Kim Jong Un, who guided the test-fire on the spot," the Korean Central News Agency said in a report.
The report said the test-firing aimed to "finally confirm the overall technological specifications of the weapon system of Hwasong-14 capable of carrying large-sized heavy nuclear warhead, including its maximum range."
"The rocket (missile) that blasted off from the northwestern part of the DPRK reached an altitude of 3,724.9 km and flew 998 km for 47 minutes and 12 seconds before landing in the target waters in the open sea," it said.
The test-firing was carried out at the maximum angle launch system mocking maximum range, and had no adverse effect on the security of the neighboring countries, said the report.
Kim Jong Un congratulated the scientists and technicians in the field of rocket research and said the DPRK will develop "much more the most powerful strategic weapons," according to the report.
"The test-fire confirmed the reliability of ICBM system, demonstrated the capability of making surprise launch of ICBM in any region and place any time, and clearly proved that the whole U.S. mainland is in the firing range of the DPRK missiles," the report quoted Kim Jong Un as saying.
"The maximum range simulation test-fire of ICBM conducted by the DPRK today is meant to send a grave warning to the U.S. making senseless remarks, being lost to reason, that it would not go scot-free if it dares provoke the DPRK," Kim said.
This is the second time for the DPRK to have successfully launched its ICBMs, the first being launched on July 4.
South Korea's military said Saturday that the DPRK has fired a ballistic missile, which was believed to have been an intercontinental ballistic missile.
South Korea's Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS) said in a statement that the unidentified missile was fired at 11:41 p.m. (1441 GMT) Friday from the area in Jagang province, the central northernmost part of the DPRK.
Defense Minister Song Young-moo said in a statement that the ICBM test is a "grave provocation" that jeopardizes the stability of the Korean Peninsula and world peace.
The DPRK missile flew about 1,000 km and was lofted as high as around 3,700 km, according to the JCS. It was estimated to have been an advanced Hwasong-14, which was test-launched by the DPRK on July 4.
The July 4 launch lofted the missile as high as 2,802 km and made it fly 933 km.
The Pentagon said on Friday that an initial assessment showed the missile launched by the DPRK earlier on the day was an intercontinental ballistic missile.
The missile traveled about 1,000 km before splashing down into the sea, said Pentagon spokesman Jeff Davis in a statement.
The United States and South Korea have conducted a live-fire exercise after the launch of ICBM by the on Friday, said the U.S. Army.
United NationsSecretary-General Antonio Guterres on Friday condemned the DPRK's launch of another "ballistic missile of possible intercontinental range," saying "this is again a manifest violation of Security Council resolutions."
UN deputy spokesman Farhan Haq urged the DPRK leadership to "comply fully with its international obligations and work together with the international community to resolve the outstanding issues on the Korean Peninsula."
China on Saturday urged the DPRK to abide by UN Security Council resolutions and stop any moves that could escalate tensions on the Korean Peninsula.
Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesperson Geng Shuang made the remarks in response to reports that the DPRK had fired a second "Hwasong-14" intercontinental ballistic missile on Friday.
"The Chinese side is concerned about the current situation," Geng said, noting that relevant resolutions of the UN Security Council had explicit stipulations on launches conducted by the DPRK using ballistic technology.
He said the Chinese side opposed DPRK launches in violation of UN Security Council resolutions and the will of the international community.
China hopes that relevant parties can act prudently, avoid taking actions that could escalate tensions, and maintain regional peace and stability, Geng said.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|