EU denounces DPRK's latest test-launch of ballistic missile
People's Daily Online
(Xinhua) 15:11, July 29, 2017
BRUSSELS, July 28 -- The European Union (EU) on Friday lashed out at the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) in the wake of the country's latest test launch of a ballistic missile, saying the move is in outright violation of its international obligations.
The European External Action Service (EEAS), the EU's diplomatic service, referring to a conclusion adopted at a meeting of EU foreign ministers earlier this month, said in a statement that the EU "is united in its assessment that these actions of the DPRK represent a serious threat to international peace and security."
"We expect the DPRK to refrain from any further provocative action that could increase regional and global tensions," the EEAS said.
The EU urged the DPRK to engage in a "credible and meaningful dialogue" to denuclearize the Korean Peninsula, saying the bloc is ready to support such a process in consultation with its key partners.
EU foreign policy chief Federica Mogherini, due to attend the ASEAN Regional Forum Ministerial meeting in Manila on Aug. 6-7, will address the DPRK issue with her international counterparts in the margins of the meeting, said the statement.
The Korean Central News Agency of the DPRK reported that the country "carried out the second test-fire of intercontinental ballistic rocket Hwasong-14 on July 28, 2017," the second time in one month.
The DPRK test fired its first ICBM on July 4, which it hailed as the final stage of developing its nuclear and missile capabilities.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|