Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
October 2016 - North Korea Special Weapons News
- South Korean Political Crisis Could Affect Hardline North Korea Policy VOA 31 Oct 2016 -- South Korean President Park Geun-hye has vowed not to let a growing political crisis of confidence in her administration undermine the nation's national security.
- KCNA Commentary Accuses Obama Group of Invective Hurting Dignity of DPRK KCNA 29 Oct 2016 -- The Obama group before retirement are expending their last efforts in their campaign to hurt the dignity of the DPRK.
- US to Go Beyond THAAD Deployment in S Korea if N Korea Threat Persists Sputnik 28 Oct 2016 -- US will further promote the THAAD missile systems deployment in South Korea in case North Korean threat persists, US Deputy Secretary of State Tony Blinken said Friday.
- North Korean Leader Orders Full-Fledged Probe Into Failed Missile Launch Sputnik 28 Oct 2016 -- North Korean leader Kim Jong Un ordered to create a special investigation team to examine the causes of the recent missile launch failure, media reported on Friday, referring to the head of a North Korean dissident group.
- US, Japan, South Korea agree to put more pressure on North Korea Press TV 27 Oct 2016 -- Senior officials from the United States, Japan and South Korea have agreed to step up pressure on North Korea to get it to abandon its nuclear and missile programs.
- DPRK Rejects Anti-DPRK "Open Statement" of International Financial Supervisory Body KCNA 26 Oct 2016 -- A spokesman for the National Coordinating Committee of the DPRK for Anti-Money Laundering and Combating the Financing of Terrorism gave the following answer to a question raised by KCNA Wednesday in connection with the fact that the U.S. and its vassal forces are inciting the atmosphere of putting financial sanctions on the DPRK even by setting in motion the international financial supervision organization:
- U.S. Arms Buildup in Asia-Pacific Region Denounced KCNA 26 Oct 2016 -- The U.S. arms buildup in the Asia-Pacific region is obviously aimed at containing big powers in the region with military edge and building an order whereby everything is settled under its baton, Rodong Sinmun Wednesday says in an article.
- Rodong Sinmun Flays S. Korean Puppet Forces' Multi-national Mine Warfare Drill KCNA 26 Oct 2016 -- The south Korean puppet forces together with the U.S. staged multi-national mine warfare drill in the South Sea of Korea from Oct. 15 to 22 with the involvement of forces of UK and other satellite countries which took part in the past Korean war, The provocative maneuver was staged under the simulated conditions of "securing sea lanes in contingency" with mine laying and sweeping ships, helicopters and huge forces involved.
- US Spy Chief: Asking North Korea To Stop Nuke Program a 'Lost Cause' Sputnik 26 Oct 2016 -- On Tuesday, National Intelligence Director James Clapper said that the US must focus on limiting North Korea's nuclear capabilities, because convincing the isolated country to halt nuclear development is a "lost cause."
- US Official: Stopping N. Korea's Nuclear Program 'Probably Is Lost Cause' VOA 25 Oct 2016 -- The director of U.S. national intelligence says the ongoing U.S. push to persuade North Korea to give up its controversial nuclear program is, in his words, "probably a lost cause."
- FM Spokesman Slams U.S. State Secretary's Provocative Remarks against DPRK KCNA 25 Oct 2016 -- A spokesman for the Foreign Ministry of the DPRK gave the following answer to a question raised by KCNA Tuesday in connection with the fact that the U.S. State secretary let out provocative remarks slandering the dignified government of the DPRK.
- U.S. Chiefly to Blame for Escalating Tension on Korean Peninsula: Rodong Sinmun KCNA 25 Oct 2016 -- Recently the U.S. warmongers staged the largest-ever joint naval drill in the waters off the Korean peninsula together with south Korean puppet forces despite the unanimous protest at home and abroad. The drill was staged under the pretence of examining the feasibility of the "operation plan for large-scale counteraction" while brass hats of the Command of the U.S. imperialist aggression forces in south Korea were watching it aboard an aircraft carrier.
- KCNA Blasts U.S. Moves to Knock into Shape Triangular Military Alliance KCNA 24 Oct 2016 -- The U.S. is now working in real earnest to knock into shape a triangular military alliance aimed to realize its ambition to dominate the world.
- DPRK Permanent Mission to UN Issues Press Statement KCNA 24 Oct 2016 -- The DPRK Permanent Mission to the United Nations issued a press statement on Oct. 21. It said:
- North Korea Blasts US, Japan, South Korea for 'Destabilizing Northeast Asia' Sputnik 23 Oct 2016 -- The North Korean Foreign Ministry has issued a statement condemning the joint US, Japanese and South Korean naval drills taking place in the Korean Peninsula over the weekend, warning that such maneuvers "constitute a threat to the DPRK (the Democratic People's Republic of Korea) and the whole of Northeast Asia."
- Kerry Praises Kuwait for Curbing Flights From North Korea VOA 22 Oct 2016 -- Calling North Korea leader Kim Jong Un's regime "illegal and illegitimate," U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry on Friday thanked the government of Kuwait for "efforts to help counter the proliferation" of North Korea.
- DPRK Foreign Ministry Spokesman Censures U.S.-Japan-S. Korea Joint Military Drill KCNA 22 Oct 2016 -- A spokesman for the Foreign Ministry of the DPRK gave the following answer to a question put by KCNA Saturday as regards another joint military drill launched by the U.S. in league with Japan and the south Korean puppet forces against the DPRK:
- KCNA Commentary Lashes out at U.S. Official's Malignant Mud-slinging at DPRK KCNA 22 Oct 2016 -- Symptoms of doom of the Obama group are manifested in the political unrest of the officials of the U.S. administration who are in the grip of self-contradiction.
- U.S. defense chief vows "overwhelming" response once DPRK launches nuclear weapon successfully People's Daily 21 Oct 2016 -- U.S. Defense Secretary Ashton Carter said on Thursday that the United States would make an "overwhelming" military response if Pyongyang was to ever successfully launch a nuclear weapon.
- US Defense Secretary 'Strongly Condemns' Failed N. Korean Missile Launch VOA 20 Oct 2016 -- U.S. Secretary of Defense Ash Carter on Thursday "strongly condemned" the failed ballistic missile launch that occurred in North Korea earlier in the day.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesman Blasts U.S. Official for Talking about "Moral Sanctions" on DPRK KCNA 20 Oct 2016 -- A spokesman for the Foreign Ministry of the DPRK gave the following answer to a question raised by KCNA Thursday to denounce the U.S. for calling for "moral sanctions" while talking about "human rights issue":
- DPRK's Musudan ballistic missile launch appears to fail: S.Korea People's Daily 20 Oct 2016 -- The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) has test-fired a projectile, believed to be an intermediate-range Musudan ballistic missile, but it appeared to have failed, local media reported on Thursday.
- Another North Korean missile fails to launch: US, South Korea Press TV 20 Oct 2016 -- The United States and South Korea claim they have detected an unsuccessful missile test conducted by North Korea, the second such failed test in the past week.
- North Korea Pledges to Launch More 'Satellites' Into Space - Embassy Sputnik 20 Oct 2016 -- Pyongyang will increase the number of satellite launches under the state space program despite international criticism, the North Korean Embassy in Russia vowed on Thursday.
- USSTRATCOM Detects Attempted North Korean Missile Launch USSTRATCOM 20 Oct 2016 -- U.S. Strategic Command (USSTRATCOM) systems detected what we assess was a failed North Korean missile launch at 5:00 p.m. CDT, October 19, 2016, near the northwestern city of Kusong.
- Failed Missile Launch Detected in North Korea VOA 20 Oct 2016 -- U.S. and South Korean military officials say they have detected a failed ballistic missile launch in North Korea near the northwestern city of Kusong.
- N. Korean Rights Controversy Could Shape Presidential Election in South VOA 19 Oct 2016 -- In South Korea this week, a controversy has erupted over a nearly decade old U.N. North Korea human rights vote that could frame the 2017 presidential election as a clear choice between relying on punitive measures only to pressure the Kim Jong Un government to end its nuclear program, or renewing engagement efforts.
- DPRK Delegate Speaks at UN Meeting KCNA 18 Oct 2016 -- A delegate of the DPRK made a speech at the discussion of the agenda "international cooperation in the peaceful use of space" at a meeting of the 4th Committee of the 71st UN General Assembly on October 13.
- Security Council strongly condemns failed ballistic missile launch by DPR Korea UN News 17 Oct 2016 -- The United Nations Security Council today strongly condemned the latest failed ballistic missile launch conducted by the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK), which took place on 14 October.
- UN Security Council Condemns North Korean Attempted Missile Launch VOA 17 Oct 2016 -- The U.N. Security Council has strongly condemned North Korea's recent failed missile launch, threatening additional measures against the communist country.
- North Korean Missile Tests Reduce Prospects for Compromise VOA 17 Oct 2016 -- Following North Korea's failed missile test over the weekend, South Korea has ruled out seeking compromise with the Kim Jong Un government.
- DPRK's test-launch of mid-range ballistic missile ends in failure People's Daily 16 Oct 2016 -- The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) had test-launched an intermediate-range ballistic missile, but it ended in a failure, Seoul's military said Sunday.
- North Korea missile launch fails at liftoff: US Press TV 16 Oct 2016 -- US military sources claim that North Korea has unsuccessfully fired an intermediate-range ballistic missile.
- Pentagon Reports Failed Missile Launch by N. Korea VOA 16 Oct 2016 -- South Korea has strongly condemned North Korea's latest missile launch attempt. The South Korean Joint Chiefs of Staff said in a statement Sunday the launch was "a clear violation of U.N. Security Council resolutions" and an "illegal act of provocation."
- USSTRATCOM Detects, Tracks Attempted North Korean Missile Launch USSTRATCOM 15 Oct 2016 -- U.S. Strategic Command (USSTRATCOM) systems detected what we assess was a failed North Korean missile launch at 10:33 p.m. CDT, October 14, 2016, near the northwestern city of Kusŏng.
- Pentagon Reports Failed Missile Launch by N. Korea VOA 15 Oct 2016 -- North Korea tried to launch an intermediate-range ballistic missile Saturday, but the effort failed, the U.S. military reported.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesman Blasts U.S. Official's Remarks Hurting Dignity of Supreme Leadership of DPRK KCNA 15 Oct 2016 -- A spokesman for the Foreign Ministry of the DPRK issued the following statement on Saturday:
- KCNA Commentary Blasts Desperate Campaign of U.S. against DPRK KCNA 15 Oct 2016 -- Shocked by the growing nuclear muscle of the DPRK, the Obama administration has gone reckless in its anti-DPRK campaign.
- S. Korean Puppet Warmongers Commit Military Provocation in Hotspot Waters in West Sea of Korea KCNA 15 Oct 2016 -- The south Korean puppet military warmongers are escalating the intrusion into the territorial waters of the north side in the hotspot waters in the West Sea of Korea recently.
- Russian Security Forces Detain N Korean Fishing Vessel After Violent Clash Sputnik 16 Oct 2016 -- The Russian Federal Security Service (FSB) detained a North Korean vessel for illegal fishing in the exclusive Russian economic zone in the Sea of Japan, killing at least one crew member, the body said in a statement.
- 'Firmer and Stronger': South Korea, US to Enhance Defense Against Pyongyang Sputnik 16 Oct 2016 -- South Korea and the US have agreed to beef up their defense readiness measures against the North's provocations at an annual Military Committee Meeting (MCM) in Washington on Thursday.
- U.S., South Korean, Japanese Military Leaders Discuss North Korean Threat AFPS 14 Oct 2016 -- Stressing the regional aspect of the threat North Korea poses, Maritime Self-defense Force Adm. Katsutoshi Kawano, the Japanese chief of defense, joined discussions with senior U.S. and South Korean military leaders at the Pentagon today.
- Promises of 'Destruction': North Korea Calls Naval Drills 'Severe Provocation' Sputnik 13 Oct 2016 -- North Korea has responded angrily to this week's US-South Korea naval drills, which include exercises targeting North Korean leader Kim Jong-un, calling them a "severe provocation" that is pushing the peninsula toward crisis.
- South Korea Prepares Special Forces to Hit North Korea in Case of War Sputnik 12 Oct 2016 -- Seoul is increasing the capacities of its military forces for destroying North Korea's command centers and its leadership in case of a crisis, South Korea's military said Wednesday.
- North Korea vice FM exiled to farming area after UK ambassador defects Press TV 12 Oct 2016 -- North Korea has exiled its vice foreign minister and his family to a rural farming region outside of Pyongyang following the recent defection of the country's deputy ambassador to the UK.
- South Korea Mulls Slapping North With Stronger Unilateral Sanctions Sputnik 11 Oct 2016 -- Seoul mulls punishing Pyongyang with stricter sanctions for the recent nuclear test.
- South Korea Planning Preemptive Strike on Kim Jong-Un Regime Over Nuclear Threat Sputnik 10 Oct 2016 -- South Korea's Defense Ministry announced plans in the event that it is determined that a nuclear attack from North Korea is imminent.
- North Korean Flood Victims Caught in Nuclear Standoff VOA 10 Oct 2016 -- Winter is coming in North Korea, where nearly 600,000 people are in need of urgent assistance due to recent severe flooding.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesman Rejects U.S. Fictitious Story about "Abduction of American by North Korea" KCNA 08 Oct 2016 -- A spokesman for the Foreign Ministry of the DPRK gave the following answer to a question raised by KCNA Saturday as regards the fact that the U.S. is building up public opinion over the "story about abduction of American by north Korea".
- DPRK Will Make Efforts for Denuclearization of World KCNA 08 Oct 2016 -- The representative of the DPRK made a speech at the First Committee of the 71st UN General Assembly on October 6.
- U.S. Poses Nuclear Threat to DPRK with Flight of B-1B KCNA 08 Oct 2016 -- Despite the strong warnings of the Korean people and the world public, the U.S. imperialists' reckless military scheme to mount a "preemptive nuclear strike" at the DPRK has reached a grave phase that can no longer be overlooked.
- South Korea on High Alert Amid Claims North Readying New Weapon Test Sputnik 07 Oct 2016 -- According to media reports, south Korea's Defense Ministry braces for a possible new nuclear detonation or a missile launch by the North ahead of an upcoming anniversary next week.
- Rising moves detected in DPRK's missile launch site: S.Korea People's Daily 07 Oct 2016 -- Rising moves of personnel and vehicles have been detected in the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK)'s main missile launch site, indicating preparations for a long-range missile launch in the near future, Yonhap news agency reported on Friday.
- DPRK blasts U.S. for stepping up pressure, sanctions People's Daily 07 Oct 2016 -- The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) on Thursday blasted U.S. President Barack Obama and his administration for stepping up pressure on and sanctions against it.
- US pressure, sanctions prompted North Korea to become nuclear power: N Korean media Press TV 07 Oct 2016 -- North Korean media say the US administration's hostile policies toward North Korea led Pyongyang toward becoming a "confident nuclear power."
- N Korea could be preparing for another nuclear test Press TV 07 Oct 2016 -- A US-based monitoring group says Pyongyang could be preparing to conduct another major nuclear test soon, after detecting increased activities at North Korea's known test site.
- Children in flood-ravaged DPRK face 'second wave of danger' as winter rapidly closes in - UNICEF UN News 07 Oct 2016 -- After two months of intense flooding, the Democratic Republic of Korea (DPRK) is now facing another looming danger as a severe winter is closing with thousands of children still in need of urgent assistance, according to the UN Children's Fund (UNICEF) and partner agency Save the Children.
- Failing North Korea Policies Being Criticized in Both the US, China VOA 07 Oct 2016 -- North Korea's relentless pursuit of nuclear weapons is forcing both its allies and adversaries to rethink their strategies for maintaining regional peace and security.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesman Blasts Obama Group's Racket for Sanctions and Pressure upon DPRK KCNA 06 Oct 2016 -- A spokesman for the Foreign Ministry of the DPRK issued a statement on Thursday in connection with the fact that the Obama group's racket for sanctions and pressure on the DPRK has reached an extreme phase.
- South Korean media report 'North Korean defections' Press TV 05 Oct 2016 -- South Korean media say North Korean embassy officials stationed in China have defected, claiming that the incident was the latest in a series of alleged defections by North Korean officials.
- US Move Against North Korea Seen as Unprecedented VOA 04 Oct 2016 -- After North Korea's largest-ever test of a nuclear device in early September, the United States is taking an unprecedented hardline stance to curb the reclusive regime's accelerated pursuit of nuclear development.
- Officials of Power Organs Stand in Van of Recovery Efforts KCNA 04 Oct 2016 -- Officials of power organs in flood-hit North Hamgyong Province of the DPRK have taken the lead in the recovery efforts.
- US Group Advocates Change, but Not Regime Change, in North Korea VOA 04 Oct 2016 -- Members of a U.S.-based task force are calling for Washington and its allies to change their approach to dealing with the North Korean nuclear threat, saying it is time to rethink the problem.
- Rodong Sinmun on Country's Nuclear Force KCNA 03 Oct 2016 -- It is the firm faith and iron will of the Korean people to defend the sovereignty of the country and valuable peace and usher in a new era of national prosperity by dint of self-defensive capabilities with the nuclear force as a pivot, Rodong Sinmun Monday says in a commentary, and goes on:
- DPRK Army and People Warn U.S. Imperialists and S. Korean Puppet Forces against Risky Military Moves KCNA 02 Oct 2016 -- The recent situation on the Korean peninsula has reached the brink of a war owing to the reckless military provocations of the U.S. and the south Korean puppet forces.
- North Korea Building Massive New Ballistic Missile Submarine For Nuclear Strikes Sputnik 02 Oct 2016 -- Satellite footage suggests that the North Korean regime of Kim Jong-Un has begun development of a massive new submarine capable of launching ballistic missiles further potentially threatening the US.
- South Korean president urges North Koreans to defect Press TV 01 Oct 2016 -- South Korean President Park Geun-hye has urged North Koreans to defect to the South, two days after a North Korean soldier crossed the heavily protected border into the southern neighbor's territory.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list