Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
July 2015 - North Korea Special Weapons News
- North Korea Ramps Up Rhetoric In Wake of Iran Nuclear Deal VOA 31 Jul 2015 -- North Korea is ratcheting up nuclear rhetoric to resist international pressure arising from Iran's nuclear deal.
- S. Korea Slams North for Missionary Arrest VOA 31 Jul 2015 -- South Koreans are defending a Korean-Canadian Christian missionary imprisoned in North Korea who was paraded before cameras this week in Pyongyang where he confessed to participating in "subversive plots."
- On Brink of War? N Korea Leader Inspects 'War Drills' Against US, S Korea Sputnik 30 Jul 2015 -- North Korean leader Kim Jong-un paid a visit to a high-profile Air Force combat contest, describing it as part of 'war preparations' against the United States and South Korea, Pyongyang's state media said Thursday.
- N Korea Calls on US to Halt Drills With S Korea to Establish Dialogue Sputnik 30 Jul 2015 -- North Korea calls the US to stop joint military exercises with South Korea to start a dialogue to settle a number of issues.
- North Korea Hoping China Breaks with US Over Sanctions VOA 29 Jul 2015 -- North Korea's rejection of an Iran-style nuclear agreement could indicate the Kim Jong Un regime is counting on China to eventually break with the United States over the severe economic sanctions imposed on Pyongyang.
- Kim Jong Un Hails Chinese Role in Korean War VOA 28 Jul 2015 -- In an apparent attempt to mend relations with Beijing, North Korean leader Kim Jong Un has paid tribute to the Chinese soldiers who fought for the North during the Korean War.
- North Korea may conduct nuclear tests in October - deputy UN envoy TASS 28 Jul 2015 -- North Korea may conduct another nuclear test in October to mark the 70th anniversary of the Worker's Party of Korea, North Korea's deputy Permanent Representative at the United Nations Jang Il-hun said on Tuesday, commenting on media reports about Pyongyang's nuclear plans.
- North Korea: 'No Interest at All' in Nuke Deal VOA 28 Jul 2015 -- A top North Korean diplomat says his country's nuclear weapons program is not up for discussion, insisting Pyongyang's situation is 'totally different' from that of Iran.
- Official: South Korea Will Work Toward Resuming Family Reunions VOA 27 Jul 2015 -- South Korea will work toward resuming inter-Korean family reunions prior to a national holiday in the fall, South Korea's point man on North Korea has said.
- Kim Jong Un extends respect to Chinese volunteer army People's Daily 26 Jul 2015 -- Top leader Kim Jong Un of the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) on Saturday paid tribute to the Chinese People's Volunteer Army (CPVA) for its role in his country's liberation, official media reported Sunday.
- North Korea May Launch Space Sat Before October - Seoul Sputnik 23 Jul 2015 -- North Korea may orbit a space satellite before October, a South Korean newspaper reported, citing a government source in Seoul.
- DPRK erects taller launch pad for long-range rocket: Yonhap People's Daily 22 Jul 2015 -- The Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) erected a taller launch pad for long-range rocket at a rocket base near the west coast, South Korea's Yonhap News Agency reported Wednesday citing a government official.
- North Korea Reportedly Builds Long-Range Missile Pad Sputnik 22 Jul 2015 -- North Korea has erected a launch pad capable of firing long-range missiles larger than those of the past, South Korean media reported on Wednesday.
- N. Korea Not Interested in Iran-style Nuclear Deal VOA 21 Jul 2015 -- North Korea says it has no interest in negotiations, similar to those between Iran and world powers, that would result in Pyongyang giving up its nuclear capabilities.
- S. Korean Firms Call for Resolution of Kaesong Wage Dispute VOA 20 Jul 2015 -- A representative of South Korean firms with factories at the Kaesong Industrial Complex has called for a prompt resolution to the ongoing wage dispute between North and South Korea.
- South Korea regrets North's refusal of talks Press TV 20 Jul 2015 -- South Korea has expressed regret at North Korea's rejection of its recent proposals for holding a dialog at different levels.
- S.Korea invites DPRK to Seoul-hosted regional security forum People's Daily 17 Jul 2015 -- South Korea's Defense Ministry said Friday that it has invited the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) to a Seoul-hosted regional security forum scheduled for September.
- Experts: Iran Deal Has Limited Impact on North Korea VOA 15 Jul 2015 -- Iran's nuclear deal is likely to have a limited impact on the North Korean nuclear issue, U.S. experts say.
- S Korea Willing to Improve Ties With N Korea Despite Nuclear Program Sputnik 14 Jul 2015 -- South Korea is prepared to start talks with North Korea as it does not see North Korea's denuclearization as a prerequisite for better inter-Korean ties, Seoul's Minister Hong Yong-pyo said Tuesday.
- MOU Signed between Ministry of People's Armed Forces of NDC of DPRK and Lao Ministry of Defence KCNA 13 Jul 2015 -- A MOU on cooperation between the Ministry of the People's Armed Forces of the DPRK National Defence Commission (NDC) and the Lao Ministry of Defence was signed here Monday.
- N. Korea Names New Defense Chief VOA 13 Jul 2015 -- North Korea has confirmed the replacement of the country's defense chief, who was believed to be purged.
- South Korea fires warning shots at 'intruding' soldiers from North Press TV 12 Jul 2015 -- South Korea says its troops have fired warning shots at North Korean soldiers as the latter briefly crossed into the heavily-armed buffer zone that separates the two neighbors.
- New defense chief named in N Korea media Press TV 11 Jul 2015 -- North Korea has reportedly named a four-star general as the country's new defense minister three months after the previous military chief was dismissed under suspicious circumstances.
- US Senators Introduce Bill to Expand Sanctions on North Korea VOA 10 Jul 2015 -- Two U.S. senators have introduced a bill to toughen sanctions against North Korea, responding to a House measure introduced earlier this year.
- Korean Complex Output Increases Despite Wage Dispute VOA 09 Jul 2015 -- South Korea said Thursday that the economic output of the Kaesong Industrial Complex had increased this year, despite a wage dispute.
- UN warns of child deaths in N Korea drought Press TV 09 Jul 2015 -- The United Nations (UN) has warned that a serious drought in North Korea requires urgent action to prevent the death of children already weakened by widespread malnutrition.
- With fast action to rescue staple crops 'we can save lives' in DPR Korea,' UNICEF says UN News 08 Jul 2015 -- Children are already suffering as a result of drought in some parts of the Democratic Peoples' Republic of Korea (DPRK), where deaths of young children attributed to diarrhoea have increased seriously in the first six months of 2015 in the drought-affected provinces, according to the United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF).
- Former South Korean First Lady to Visit North Korea VOA 06 Jul 2015 -- The wife of late South Korean president Kim Dae-jung will visit North Korea early next month, Kim's foundation said Monday.
- Kim Jong Un Gives Field Guidance to Automation Institute of Kim Chaek University of Technology KCNA 03 Jul 2015 -- Kim Jong Un, first secretary of the Workers' Party of Korea, first chairman of the DPRK National Defence Commission and supreme commander of the Korean People's Army, gave field guidance to a newly-built building of the Automation Institute of Kim Chaek University of Technology.
- Biochemical Weapons Expert Flees N Korea Sputnik 03 Jul 2015 -- According to South Korean news agency reports, North Korean expert in biochemical weaponry was reportedly carrying at least 15 gigabytes of information on the results of 'human experiments' conducted in his home country.
- S. Korean Puppet Regime Accused of Escalating Confrontation and Inciting War Hysteria KCNA 02 Jul 2015 -- Recently, the south Korean puppet group has staged a series of unprecedentedly hideous farces to provoke the DPRK, escalating confrontation and inciting war hysteria against it 13 years since the skirmish in the West Sea of Korea.
- New, modern terminal of Pyongyang Int'l Airport put into use People's Daily 02 Jul 2015 -- The newly completed terminal of Pyongyang International Airport, which the Democratic People's Republic of Korea (DPRK) says is 'a model edifice in the Songun era', was officially put into use starting Wednesday after a topping out ceremony held here in the morning.
- Did the North Korean Founder's Portrait Disappear From Pyongyang? Sputnik 02 Jul 2015 -- The image of Kim Il Sung, the founder of North Korea, was not featured at the new Pyongyang International Airport terminal, which Kim Jong Un dedicated to his father, Kim Jong Il.
- Report: Nearly 1,400 Public Executions in N. Korea Since 2000 VOA 01 Jul 2015 -- North Korea publicly executed close to 1,400 citizens since 2000, according to a South Korean government-run institute.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list