Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
January 2012 - North Korea Special Weapons News
- US Envoy Urges North Korea to Improve Relations With South VOA 31 Jan 2012 -- The top U.S. diplomat for Asian and Pacific affairs says North Korea's new leadership must improve ties with South Korea.
- Rights Group Details Evidence of Chinese Aid Shipment to North Korea VOA 31 Jan 2012 -- China appears to have delivered a large amount of rice and possibly other aid to impoverished North Korea.
- Kim Jong Un Inspects KPA Air Force Unit 1017 KCNA 30 Jan 2012 -- Supreme Commander of the Korean People's Army Kim Jong Un inspected Unit 1017 of the KPA Air Force honored with the title of O Jung Hup-led 7th Regiment.
- Kim Jong Un Guides Flight Training of KPA Air Force Unit 378b KCNA 27 Jan 2012 -- Supreme Commander of the Korean People's Army Kim Jong Un, supreme leader of the Workers' Party of Korea, state and army of the DPRK, guided a flight training of KPA Air Force Unit 378 honored with the title of O Jung Hup-led 7th Regiment.
- CPRK Blasts Lee Myung Bak's New Year Address KCNA 27 Jan 2012 -- Traitor Lee Myung Bak of south Korea, in a 'special new year address on state policy', blustered if the north takes 'a sincere attitude,' the south can carve out a new 'era of the Korean Peninsula' together with it, asserting 'a big change in the situation of the peninsula and the rest of Northeast Asia is expected' and vociferating about 'a window of opportunity.'
- Situation in DPRK Is Peaceful as It Was: Russian Foreign Minister KCNA 27 Jan 2012 -- Moscow did not see any sign that the situation on the DPRK is likely to develop in the direction of instability, said Russian Foreign Minister Lavrov, when interviewed by Kyodo News on Thursday.
- DPRK Makes Good Start of New Year in Economic Sectors KCNA 27 Jan 2012 -- The Korean people have made great achievements in economic sectors from the beginning of the year.
- DPRK Premier Learns about Progress Made in Construction of Mansudae Area KCNA 26 Jan 2012 -- DPRK Premier Choe Yong Rim on Jan. 25 learned on the spot about the huge construction of the Mansudae area now under way on the centenary of birth of President Kim Il Sung.
- Waterway to Be Built in South Hwanghae Province, DPRK KCNA 26 Jan 2012 -- A gravity-fed waterway will be built in South Hwanghae Province.
- Lavrov: 'No Signs of Instability in N. Korea' RIA Novosti 26 Jan 2012 -- Moscow does not see any signs of instability in North Korea a month after the death of North Korean leader Kim Jong Il, Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said on Thursday.
- DPRK Premier Makes Field Survey of Construction Sites KCNA 25 Jan 2012 -- DPRK Premier Choe Yong Rim on Tuesday made field survey of the Pyongyang Folk Park and the greenhouse of the Pyongyang Vegetable Science Institute now under construction.
- Exploits of Kim Jong Il for External Activities Lauded by Rodong Sinmun KCNA 25 Jan 2012 -- Rodong Sinmun Wednesday says in a bylined article that leader Kim Jong Il made undying contributions to carrying out the global independence.
- DPRK Produces Massive Saplings of Dwarf Apple Trees KCNA 25 Jan 2012 -- The Bioengineering Branch under the State Academy of Sciences of the DPRK is mass-producing saplings of dwarf apple trees.
- 20-Day Industrial Output Value Shows 1.2 Times Increase in DPRK KCNA 25 Jan 2012 -- The gross industrial output value grew 1.2 times for twenty days of January this year as against the same period last year.
- Leader Kim Jong Il Is Our Father: Deputy to Local Assembly KCNA 23 Jan 2012 -- Schoolchildren's New Year Performance 'The Country with Eternal Sun' is taking place in Pyongyang.
- Service Personnel and People of DPRK Pay Tribute to Portraits of Smiling Kim Jong Il KCNA 23 Jan 2012 -- Service personnel and people of all strata in the DPRK visited the portraits of smiling leader Kim Jong Il in various parts of the country Monday to pay tribute to him on the lunar New Year 2012.
- Floral Baskets Placed before Statues of Kim Il Sung KCNA 23 Jan 2012 -- Floral baskets were placed before the statues of President Kim Il Sung in different parts of the country on the lunar New Year 2012.
- Koreans Pay Tribute to Kim Jong Il on Lunar New Year KCNA 23 Jan 2012 -- On the lunar New Year's Day, the Korean people are ardently yearning for the leader Kim Jong Il.
- Kim Jong Un Provides Field Guidance to Machine Plant KCNA 22 Jan 2012 -- Supreme Commander of the Korean People's Army Kim Jong Un, supreme leader of the Workers' Party of Korea, state and army of the DPRK, provided field guidance to the Machine Plant managed by Ho Chol Yong.
- Enlarged Plenary Meeting of Cabinet Held in DPRK KCNA 22 Jan 2012 -- An enlarged Cabinet plenary meeting was held.
- Kim Jong Un Inspects Command of KPA Large Combined Unit 671 KCNA 21 Jan 2012 -- Supreme Commander of the Korean People's Army Kim Jong Un, supreme leader of the Workers' Party of Korea, state and army of the DPRK, inspected the Command of Large Combined Unit 671 of the KPA.
- Kim Jong Un Sends Birthday Spreads to Merited Persons KCNA 21 Jan 2012 -- The dear respected Kim Jong Un sent birthday spreads to Kim Il Sung Prize winner and People's Artiste Ri Jin Su who is advisory conductor of the Phibada Opera Troupe on his 80th birthday, Kim Il Sung Prize winner and People's Artiste Kim Yun who is artist of the Troupe and People's Artiste Son Jong Gwon who is director of the Korean April 26 Children's Film Studio, on their 70th birthdays.
- Vol. 15 of 'Selected Works of Kim Jong Il' Published KCNA 21 Jan 2012 -- The Workers' Party of Korea Publishing House brought out Vol. 15 of 'Selected Works of Kim Jong Il'(enlarged edition).
- Guidelines for Juche-oriented Literature KCNA 21 Jan 2012 -- The famous work 'On Juche Literature' published by leader Kim Jong Il on January 20, Juche 81 (1992) has served as guidelines for a rapid development of Juche-oriented literature.
- No Force Can Ever Block DPRK's Advance: Rodong Sinmun KCNA 21 Jan 2012 -- No force can ever bar the DPRK from advancing along the road of socialism no matter how rapidly the international situation may change and no matter how desperately the imperialists may work.
- Kim Jong Un Inspects KPA Unit 3870 KCNA 20 Jan 2012 -- Supreme Commander of the Korean People's Army Kim Jong Un, supreme leader of the Workers' Party of Korea, state and army of the DPRK, inspected KPA Unit 3870 honored with the title of the O Jung Hup-led Seventh Regiment.
- Kim Jong Un Inspects KPA Air Force Unit 354 KCNA 20 Jan 2012 -- Kim Jong Un, supreme commander of the Korean People's Army and supreme leader of the Workers' Party of Korea and state and army of the DPRK, inspected KPA Air Force Unit 354 honored with the title of O Jung Hup-led Seventh Regiment before guiding a flight training.
- Anniversary of Kim Il Sung's Work Marked KCNA 20 Jan 2012 -- A meeting took place at the People's Palace of Culture on Jan. 20 to mark the 60th anniversary of the publication of President Kim Il Sung's work 'On Making Good Preparations for Universal, Free Medical Care'.
- Anniversary of Kim Jong Il's Work 'On Juche Literature' Marked KCNA 20 Jan 2012 -- A meeting took place here on Thursday to mark the 20th anniversary of General Secretary Kim Jong Il's work 'On Juche Literature'.
- Rodong Sinmun Calls for Maintaining National Independence KCNA 20 Jan 2012 -- The issue of reunification of Korea is an internal issue of the Korean nation and an issue of establishing sovereignty throughout Korea. Therefore, it can never be a plaything of outside forces for aggression under any circumstances.
- Rodong Sinmun Marks Anniversary of Kim Jong Il's Work KCNA 20 Jan 2012 -- Rodong Sinmun, a leading newspaper of the DPRK, Friday dedicated an article to the 20th anniversary of General Secretary Kim Jong Il's work 'On Juche Literature'.
- DPR Korea: UN expert urges new leaders to improve human rights UN News Centre 20 Jan 2012 -- An independent UN expert urged the new leadership in the Democratic People’s Republic of Korea to address pressing human rights concerns.
- CPRK Spokesman Blasts Lee Myung Bak's Talk about Dialogue KCNA 19 Jan 2012 -- A spokesman for the Committee for the Peaceful Reunification of Korea gave the following answer to a question put by KCNA Thursday ridiculing the Lee Myung Bak group of traitors for pretending to be interested in improving the north-south relations, talking about 'dialogue':
- Performance of Moranbong, Wangjaesan Art Troupes KCNA 19 Jan 2012 -- Moranbong and Wangjaesan art troupes gave a performance before full house at the People's Palace of Culture.
- Bird and Flower Plant in Foreign Country Seem to Mourn Demise of Kim Jong Il KCNA 19 Jan 2012 -- A natural wonder happened in Germany, too, when the whole world was in great sorrow over the demise of General Secretary Kim Jong Il.
- Kim Jong Il's Eldest Son Paints Grim Outlook for DPRK VOA 18 Jan 2012 -- A new book published in Japan says the eldest son of late North Korean ruler Kim Jong Il paints a grim outlook for North Korea.
- Kim Jong Un Inspects KPA Unit 169 KCNA 18 Jan 2012 -- Kim Jong Un inspected KPA Unit 169 honored with the title of the O Jung Hup-led Seventh Regiment.
- US, Japan, South Korea Discuss Restarting Six-Party Talks VOA 17 Jan 2012 -- Top officials from the US, South Korea and Japan met for talks focusing on restarting stalled 6-party negotiations on North Korea.
- Those Who Hurt Dignity of DPRK Supreme Leadership Deserve Severest Punishment KCNA 17 Jan 2012 -- One month has passed since General Secretary Kim Jong Il, the great father of the nation and loadstar of national reunification, passed away.
- Minju Joson on S. Korean Minister of Unification KCNA 17 Jan 2012 -- Ryu U Ik, minister of Unification of south Korea, uttered it was "regretful" and "accusation distorting the good will."
- Rodong Sinmun on S. Korean Policy KCNA 16 Jan 2012 -- It is an urgent demand for defending the country's peace and the nation's security to foil the war moves of the south Koreans.
- S. Korean Authorities Accused of Kicking up War Racket KCNA 16 Jan 2012 -- The minister of Defense and other military brass of south Korea are letting loose such bellicose remarks as "strong counteraction" against non-existent "provocation from the north".
- KCNA Dismisses Lee Myung Bak Group's Trumpeting about "Dialogue" KCNA 16 Jan 2012 -- Lee Myung Bak is now pretending to be interested in the north-south dialogue.
- Associated Press Opens News Bureau in North Korea VOA 16 Jan 2012 -- The Associated Press has taken the unprecedented step of opening a full news bureau in North Korea.
- AP Pyongyang Bureau Opens KCNA 16 Jan 2012 -- The Pyongyang Bureau of the Associated Press of the United States was opened with due ceremony at the Korean Central News Agency.
- Kim Jong Un Enjoys Music and Dance Performance KCNA 15 Jan 2012 -- Kim Jong Un appreciated a music and dance performance "We Will Hold Our Supreme Commander in High Esteem for All Ages."
- KCNA on S. Korean Authorities' Projected Mendicant Diplomacy KCNA 14 Jan 2012 -- The south Korean Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade was reported to have submitted its "working plan for 2012."
- KCNA Commentary on S. Korean Policy KCNA 14 Jan 2012 -- The anti-DPRK smear campaign of south Korea has reached such pass that the service personnel of the KPA and people of the DPRK can no longer tolerate it.
- Phenomena Witnessed in Mourning Days (4) Unusual Glow over Jong Il Peak KCNA 13 Jan 2012 -- Mysterious natural phenomena were observed in the Mt. Paektu area last December after the demise of leader Kim Jong Il.
- Minju Joson Calls for Glorifying This Year with Successes in Light Industry KCNA 13 Jan 2012 -- Minju Joson Friday in an editorial calls upon the officials and workers in the field of light industry to make this year a year when radical achievements are made in light industry and the people enjoy substantial benefit from this industry.
- Special Report of Political Bureau of C.C., WPK KCNA 12 Jan 2012 -- The Political Bureau of the Central Committee of the Workers' Party of Korea issued the following special report.
- North Korea's Kim Jong-il to be embalmed RIA Novosti 12 Jan 2012 -- The body of late North Korean leader Kim Jong-il is to be embalmed and put on display at a palace in the capital, Pyongyang, state media have said.
- Rodong Sinmun Urges U.S. to Pull Its Forces out of S. Korea at Earliest Possible Date KCNA 12 Jan 2012 -- The building of a peace-keeping mechanism on the Korean Peninsula entirely depends on the attitude of the United States.
- Kim Jong Un Inspects Construction Projects Undertaken by KPA KCNA 11 Jan 2012 -- Supreme Commander of the Korean People's Army Kim Jong Un, supreme leader of the Workers' Party of Korea, state and army, inspected various construction projects undertaken by KPA service personnel including the Pyongyang Folk Park and the Meat Shop in Hero Street.
- DPRK Will Follow U.S. Moves: FM Spokesman KCNA 11 Jan 2012 -- A spokesman for the Foreign Ministry of the DPRK gave the following answer to a question put by KCNA on Wednesday as regard the U.S. offer of food aid:
- Music and Dance Performance Goes On KCNA 11 Jan 2012 -- A music and dance performance 'Let Us Uphold Our Supreme Commander Forever' is going on at the April 25 House of Culture.
- New Year's Concert Inspires All People in Grand March KCNA 11 Jan 2012 -- The New Year's concert 'The Cause of the Sun Will Be Immortal' was given by the Unhasu Orchestra at the East Pyongyang Grand Theatre from Jan. 5 to 11.
- Rodong Sinmun Calls for Implementing Tasks Laid Down in Joint Calls KCNA 11 Jan 2012 -- The entire party and army and all people should successfully implement the militant tasks set forth in the joint calls of the Central Committee and Central Military Commission of the Workers' Party of Korea made public on the occasion of the centenary of birth of President Kim Il Sung and thus fully demonstrate the spirit of winning sure victory of Songun Korea.
- Rodong Sinmun on Revolutionary Faith KCNA 11 Jan 2012 -- Revolutionary faith provides ideological and moral source for displaying iron mettle, indomitable will, matchless bravery and self-sacrificing spirit to overcome trials and serves as a powerful weapon for winning victory in revolution.
- North Korea 'to punish' non-mourners RIA Novosti 11 Jan 2012 -- The North Korean authorities are to sentence anyone who has not participated in mourning sessions for leader Kim Jong-il to terms in labor camps, South Korea's Daily NK website reported on Wednesday.
- DPRK to Publish 'Complete Collection of Kim Jong Il's Works' KCNA 10 Jan 2012 -- The Central Committee of the Workers' Party of Korea on Sunday made public the following report on the publication of 'Complete Collection of Kim Jong Il's Works', a library of the Juche idea, the Songun idea, on the occasion of the 70th birth anniversary of leader Kim Jong Il:
- Rally of KPA Service Personnel Held to Renew Their Pledge KCNA 10 Jan 2012 -- A solemn rally of service personnel of the three services of the Korean People's Army took place at the plaza of the Kumsusan Memorial Palace on Monday to renew their pledge to implement the behests of leader Kim Jong Il and remain true to the leadership of Supreme Commander Kim Jong Un .
- Eternal Lifeline of KPA KCNA 10 Jan 2012 -- The joint New Year editorial says that the entire army should place absolute trust in and follow Kim Jong Un and become human rifles and bombs to defend him unto death, holding high the slogan 'Let us defend with our very lives the Party Central Committee headed by the dear respected Comrade Kim Jong Un!'
- News Reports on Kim Jong Il's Activities Go On KCNA 10 Jan 2012 -- News reports on revolutionary activities of leader Kim Jong Il had encouraged the Korean people to turn out in the effort for the building of a thriving nation.
- Amnesty to Be Applied to Convicts in DPRK KCNA 10 Jan 2012 -- The DPRK will apply amnesty to convicts from February 1 on the occasion of the centenary of birth of President Kim Il Sung and the 70th birth anniversary of leader Kim Jong Il, according to a decree of the Presidium of the Supreme People's Assembly of the DPRK on Jan. 5.
- DPRK's Treasured Swords for Victory in Its New Century KCNA 10 Jan 2012 -- For the army and people of the DPRK, Juche 101(2012) is the year when a new century starts.
- All Koreans Urged to Make Breakthrough for Independent Reunification KCNA 10 Jan 2012 -- This year will mark the fifth anniversary of the October 4 Declaration adopted between the north and the south of Korea.
- Rodong Sinmun Calls on All Koreans to Open Gate to National Reunification KCNA 10 Jan 2012 -- All Koreans in the north, south and overseas should open the gate to national reunification full of fresh confidence upholding the slogan laid down in the joint New Year editorial, says Rodong Sinmun Tuesday in a bylined article.
- Rodong Sinmun Calls for Implementing Kim Jong Il's Instruction for National Reunification KCNA 07 Jan 2012 -- The joint calls of the Central Committee and Central Military Commission of the Workers' Party of Korea and the joint New Year editorial called for implementing the instructions of President Kim Il Sung and leader Kim Jong Il for national reunification to the letter, says Rodong Sinmun Saturday in a bylined article.
- New Year's Concert by Unhasu Orchestra Goes on KCNA 08 Jan 2012 -- 2012 New Year's concert 'The Cause of the Sun Will Be Immortal' by the Unhasu Orchestra is going on at the East Pyongyang Grand Theatre.
- North Korean Film Promotes Young Leader's Military Experience VOA 09 Jan 2012 -- North Korea's media made no overt reference to its new leader's apparent birthday, Sunday, in a country where the birthdays of his deceased father and grandfather are celebrated as national holidays. But the day was marked with the broadcast of a television documentary highlighting Kim Jong Un's experiences guiding the country's military.
- 'Birthday' documentary hails North Korea's new leader RIA Novosti 08 Jan 2012 -- North Korea's state television aired on Sunday a documentary about the new leader, Kim Jong-un, in which he inspects troops and maneuvers a tank.
- Kim Jong Il's Feats for Country's Reunification Will Shine Forever: Rodong Sinmun KCNA 06 Jan 2012 -- Leader Kim Jong Il will always live in the hearts of the Korean people for his just idea of the country's reunification, outstanding leadership ability, noble traits and immortal feats.
- Railway Freight Traffic on Increase KCNA 06 Jan 2012 -- The DPRK has witnessed an increase in railway freight traffic from the beginning of the new year.
- Poster Exhibition Opens KCNA 06 Jan 2012 -- A poster exhibition was opened with due ceremony at the Pyongyang International Cultural House on Friday to implement the decision of the Political Bureau of the Central Committee of the Workers' Party of Korea, the joint calls of the Central Committee and the Central Military Commission of the WPK and the militant tasks set forth in the joint New Year editorial.
- New Year's Concert Encourages Korean People to Turn Out in Building of Thriving Nation KCNA 06 Jan 2012 -- After enjoying the New Year's concert given by the Unhasu Orchestra at East Pyongyang Grand Theatre on Thursday, the audience described the concert as an inspiring one, which helps harden their determination to make a leap forward in the efforts to build a thriving nation this year, too.
- Strategy Guidance Underscores Asia-Pacific Region AFPS 06 Jan 2012 -- The new defense strategy guidance President Barack Obama announced underscores the growing strategic importance of Asia and the Pacific.
- US Calls for North Korean Restraint VOA 05 Jan 2012 -- Just weeks after North Korea announced the death of its leader, Kim Jong Il, diplomatic activity has resumed on how to engage Pyongyang.
- South Korea Proposes High-Level Talks With North VOA 05 Jan 2012 -- South Korea says it wants to resume face-to-face talks with North Korea, despite Pyongyang's hard-line stance.
- KCNA on S. Korean Military KCNA 05 Jan 2012 -- Defense Minister of south Korea Kim Kwan Jin, in a recent address on the New Year, cried out for meting out a "stern punishment."
- CPRK Blasts Lee Myung Bak's New Year Address KCNA 05 Jan 2012 -- Lee Myung Bak of south Korea, in a "special new year address on state policy": If the north takes "a sincere attitude," the south can carve out a new "era of the Korean Peninsula" together with it.
- DPRK Consistent in Its Foreign Policy KCNA 05 Jan 2012 -- The DPRK remains unshakable in its stand on foreign policy.
- DPRK Papers Call for All-out Advance toward Victory in 2012 KCNA 05 Jan 2012 -- Newspapers of the DPRK editorially call upon all the servicepersons and people to make a general advance for the proud victory in 2012 under the leadership of the Workers' Party of Korea.
- Kim Jong Il Praised for Leading Socialist Cause to Victory KCNA 05 Jan 2012 -- Rodong Sinmun dedicates a bylined article to the 20th anniversary of leader Kim Jong Il's work "The Historical Lesson in Building Socialism and the General Line of Our Party".
- KCNA Condemns Japan for Its Unpardonable Immoral Act KCNA 04 Jan 2012 -- The world is watching the DPRK wailing in bitter grief over the untimely demise of Kim Jong Il, the father of the nation.
- Koreans Called on to Make Breakthrough towards Reunification KCNA 04 Jan 2012 -- All Koreans at home and abroad should turn out in the nationwide movement for national reunification.
- Kim Jong Il was Outstanding Political Elder KCNA 04 Jan 2012 -- Leader Kim Jong Il was an outstanding political elder and peerlessly great master of politics who skillfully steered the complicated and turbulent trend of world politics in the direction of independence.
- Young Koreans Vow to Implement Joint New Year Editorial KCNA 04 Jan 2012 -- Young Koreans gathered to vow to thoroughly implement the decision of the Political Bureau of the Central Committee of the Workers' Party of Korea and the joint calls of the Central Committee and the Central Military Commission of the WPK.
- Mass Rallies Held in Localities of DPRK KCNA 04 Jan 2012 -- Mass rallies took place in South Phyongan, Jagang, North Hwanghae and Kangwon Provinces and Nampho City of the DPRK.
- High Level US Diplomat Begins Asia Tour VOA 03 Jan 2012 -- Assistant Secretary of State Kurt Campbell is in Beijing, the first high-level U.S. visit to Northeast Asia since the death of North Korean leader Kim Jong Il.
- U.S. Envoy Visits Far East After Kim Jong Il's Death RFE/RL 03 Jan 2012 -- The United States' top diplomat for Asia has arrived in China on a tour that will also take him to South Korea and Japan to discuss developments in North Korea after the death of Kim Jong Il.
- North Korea Trying to Make Succession Look Solid VOA 03 Jan 2012 -- North Korea's efforts to solidify Kim Jong Un as the communist nation's new supreme leader appear to be intensifying.
- North Koreans Rally in Show of Support for New Leader VOA 03 Jan 2012 -- North Koreans took part in a massive rally in the capital, Pyongyang,to show support for their country's policies and new leader Kim Jong Un.
- S. Korean President Predicts 'Big Changes' on Dealings with North VOA 02 Jan 2012 -- South Korea's president is predicting "big changes" on the peninsula following last month's death of Kim Jong Il.
- S. Korea President: Window Still Open For Better Ties With North RFE/RL 02 Jan 2012 -- South Korea’s President Lee Myung-bak says he continues to see an opportunity for better relations with North Korea.
- Seoul hopes for reduction in tensions between Koreas RIA Novosti 02 Jan 2012 -- South Korean President Lee Myung-bak said his country is ready to improve relations with North Korea.
- Joint New Year Editorial KCNA 01 Jan 2012 -- Rodong Sinmun, Joson Inmingun and Chongnyon Jonwi, leading newspapers of the DPRK, on Sunday published a joint editorial 'Glorify this year 2012 as a year of proud victory, a year when an era of prosperity is unfolding, true to the instructions of the great General Kim Jong Il'.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list