N. Korea, U.S. hold consultations on Cheonan sinking
10:53 15/07/2010 MOSCOW, July 15 (RIA Novosti) - The first meeting between North Korean military officials and representatives of the U.S.-led United Nations Command (UNC) on the sinking of South Korea's Cheonan corvette was held on Thursday, Yonhap said.
Col. Kurt Taylor representing the United States and Col. Pak Ki-Yong representing North Korea discussed the coordination of further talks over the sinking.
Specific details of the meeting were not released.
In late July, North Korean authorities said they were ready for bilateral talks with South Korea over the corvette's sinking and urged the United States not to interfere in the investigation. However, North Korea's position has changed over the last month.
Initially, the meeting was due on Tuesday, but then Pyongyang delayed the talks.
The 1,200-ton South Korean warship sank near the disputed Northern Limit Line in the Yellow Sea on March 26, causing the loss of 46 lives. South Korea says it has proof that North Korea fired a torpedo at the vessel from a submarine, although Pyongyang denies the attack.
The UN Security Council condemned the incident and stressed the need to prevent similar attacks in the region, but did not place the direct responsibility on North Korea.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|