Weekly Report on North Korea No. 971 (Nov 23 to Nov 29, 2009)
ROK Ministry of Unification
- Kim Jong-Il’s public activity – North Korean media have reported Kim Jong-Il’s public activity for nine times from Nov 23 to 29.
- The performance of 100-day struggle in power production – The North has commended the 100-day struggle’s performance in each segment and appraised their strong performance in power production. It is reported by Rodong Sinmun on Nov 23.
- Emphasis on foreign language education- Chosun Shinbo has reported recent trend of Pyongyang foreign language university and teachers’ training center in Pyongyang on Nov 26.
- Continuous criticism on Unification Minister – The North has continuously criticized Unification Minister for South’s North Korea policy including Denuclearization and Opening 3000. It is reported by Rodong Sinmun, Korean Central News Agency and Uriminzokkiri on Nov 26.
- Spokesperson of North’s Asia Pacific Peace Committee (NAPPC)’s criticism - The North announced a spokesperson’s statement under the name of NAPPC and criticized the South for abusing and blocking Mt. Geumgang tourism for confrontational purpose. It is reported by Korean Central News Agency on Nov 26.
- US’ Nuclear Scientists’ Association claim – The North’s Korean Central News Agency has said that US’ Nuclear Scientists’ Association made it clear that the North possesses nuclear weapons. It is reported on Nov 26.
- Urgency for signing a US-North peace regime – The North has said in its Rodong Shinmun commentary on Nov 23 that armistice agreement should be terminated to end confrontation and conflict on the Korean peninsular. The North has claimed that peace regime should be established on the Korean peninsular.
- China ’s Defense Minister Liang Guanglie’s visit to Pyongyang and meeting with Kim Jong-Il – The North media have reported the meeting between Chinese defense minister and Kim Jong-Il on Nov 25. The Chinese delegation has been visiting North Korea from Nov 22 to 26. It is reported by Korean Central News Agency on Nov 26.
- Russian Federation Council president’s visit to North Korea – Sergei Mikhailovich, the president of Russian Federation Council, visited North Korea at the invitation of North’s Supreme People’s Assembly. The delegation has been visiting the North from Nov24 to 25. It is reported by Korean Central News Agency on Nov 24.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|