Weekly Report on North Korea No. 970 (Nov 16 to Nov 22, 2009)
ROK Ministry of Unification
- Kim Jong-Il’s public activity – North Korean media have reported Kim Jong-Il’s public activity for four times from Nov 16 to 22.
- The outcome of 100-day struggle over the 50 days – The North has commended dedicated efforts of working class to build a strong and prosperous state by 2012. The North has announced the outcome of 100-day struggle over the 50 days. It is reported by Korea Central News Agency on Nov 17.
- Construction of Heecheon power plant - Korean Central News Agency has reported the construction of Heeheon power plant. The North has trumpeted Heecheon speed as a miracle, representing the ancient period. It is reported on Nov 17.
- Build a peace regime on the Korean peninsular - With regard to Daechung naval clash, the North said it is priority to build a peace regime between the US and the North to prevent any armed conflict from happening on the Korean peninsular. It is reported on Nov 23.
- Denouncement of South’s Unification Minister – The North has denounced Unification Minister and Ministry for interrupting inter-Korean relations. The criticism has started from Rodong Sinmun from Nov 17 to 23.
- Calls for substantial discussion between US and North Korea – Chosun Shinbo has reported on Nov 17 in its editorial that the upcoming US-North bilateral meeting should deal with substantial issues, such as changing hostile relations between the two countries.
- Criticize Japan for enhancing military forces and history distortion – The North’s Rodong Shinmun has reported self-defense forces’ military drill in Japan and mentioned an apology for colonial rule during the 2 nd world war. The report denounced Japan by saying that “It is a tactic from militarists to suppress.”
- North’s deputy spokesperson from foreign ministry said complete rejection of UNSCR human rights – The 64 th committee of UN General Assembly adopted UNSCR on human rights. The deputy spokesperson from foreign ministry made it clear that it would completely denounce the UNSCR adoption in an interview with the press.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|