Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
2021 Cuba Special Weapons News
- Cuba reports 3 deaths, 125 new cases of COVID-19 People's Daily 26 Dec 2021 -- Cuba registered three deaths and 125 new cases of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) over the past day, bringing the total number of deaths to 8,320 and the number of infections to 964,607, the Ministry of Public Health reported on Saturday.
- CIA evacuated officer with 'Havana Syndrome' symptoms from Serbia Press TV 29 Sep 2021 -- The CIA has evacuated a US intelligence officer who was serving in Serbia due to experiencing symptoms related to the mysterious "Havana Syndrome," the US media reported.
- Press release on Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov's meeting with Foreign Minister of Cuba Bruno Rodriguez Parrilla Russia Ministry of Foreign Affairs 24 Sep 2021
- Repression and Mass Arrests of Peaceful Cuban Protestors US Dept. of State 24 Sep 2021 -- Starting on July 11, tens of thousands of Cubans in dozens of cities and towns throughout their country took to the streets to peacefully demand respect for their human rights and fundamental freedoms.
- A strong UN has key role in bringing peace, security and social justice, says Cuban President UN News 23 Sep 2021 -- Miguel Marion DÃaz-Canel BermÃºdez, the President of Cuba, underlined the importance of multilateralism and the UN in his speech to the high-level General Debate at the General Assembly on Thursday, during which he condemned the foreign policy of the United States.
- Vietnam Will Buy 10 Million COVID-19 Vaccine Doses From Cuba Radio Free Asia 20 Sep 2021 -- Vietnam will purchase 10 million doses of a Cuban coronavirus vaccine amid a scarcity of doses in the Southeast Asian country as it weathers its worst outbreak since the beginning of the pandemic, state media reported.
- Vietnam's President to Visit Cuba for COVID-19 Vaccine Assistance Radio Free Asia 17 Sep 2021 -- Vietnam's President Nguyen Xuan Phuc, whose country is in the throes of its worst coronavirus outbreak, will travel to Cuba this weekend to enlist the Caribbean fellow communist country's help in fighting against the pandemic, Hanoi's Ministry of Foreign Affairs announced.
- Iran-Cuba COVID-19 vaccine proven suitable for children IRNA 08 Sep 2021 -- Director of Iran Pasteur Institute said in the wake of reopening of schools that Iran-Cuba joint COVID-19 vaccine has successfully passed clinical test on children in Cuba and could be administered to children in Iran, too.
- Cuba Vaccinating Children as Young as 2, State Media Say VOA 06 Sep 2021 -- Cuba began inoculating children as young as 2 with vaccines it developed that have not been recognized by the World Health Organization, the country announced Monday.
- Sanctioning Cuban Officials in Response to Violence against Peaceful Protestors US Dept. of State 19 Aug 2021 -- The United States has imposed additional sanctions on Cuban military and security leaders in response to the Cuban regime's continued violent suppression of freedoms of expression and peaceful assembly in the days and weeks following the protests on and after July 11.
- Treasury Sanctions Senior Cuban Officials in Response to Violence Against Peaceful Demonstrators US Treasury 19 Aug 2021 -- Today, the U.S. Department of the Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) sanctioned three Cuban individuals pursuant to Executive Order (E.O.) 13818, which builds upon and implements the Global Magnitsky Human Rights Accountability Act and targets perpetrators of serious human rights abuse and corruption around the world.
- US imposes new sanctions against Cuba, claiming support for Cuban people Press TV 14 Aug 2021 -- The US Treasury Department has imposed new sanctions against two Cuban Interior Ministry officials and a military unit, claiming they were involved in the government's crackdown on US-inspired protests last month.
- Sanctioning Cuban Officials in Response to Violence against Peaceful Protestors US Dept. of State 13 Aug 2021 -- In recent weeks, the United States imposed sanctions on Cuban military and security leaders and units in response to the Cuban regime's violent suppression of peaceful protesters on and after July 11. Today, we are enacting additional sanctions in connection with this repression. We take this action pursuant to Executive Order 13818, which builds upon and implements the Global Magnitsky Human Rights Accountability Act.
- Treasury Sanctions Cuban Ministry of Interior Officials and Military Unit in Response to Violence Against Peaceful Demonstrators US Treasury 13 Aug 2021 -- Today, the U.S. Department of the Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) sanctioned two Cuban individuals and one Cuban entity pursuant to Executive Order (E.O.) 13818, which builds upon and implements the Global Magnitsky Human Rights Accountability Act and targets perpetrators of serious human rights abuse and corruption around the world.
- Treasury and Commerce Reiterate Commitment to Supporting Internet Freedom in Cuba US Treasury 11 Aug 2021 -- Today, the U.S. Department of the Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) and Department of Commerce's Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS) issued a fact sheet underscoring the U.S. government's commitment to supporting internet freedom in Cuba, following the Cuban regime's attempts to silence protests in July. The fact sheet highlights the most relevant exemptions and authorizations within the Cuba program that support the provision of certain internet and related telecommunications services to Cuba.
- China urges US to end embargo on Cuba Press TV 05 Aug 2021 -- China has called on the United States to immediately and fully lift its sanctions and decades-long embargo against Cuba, and to stop making excuses to interfere in and destabilize the small Caribbean island.
- Foreign Ministry Spokesperson's Remarks on US Announcement of Sanctions against Cuba PRC MofA 04 Aug 2021
- Sanctioning Cuban Police in Response to Violent Repression of Peaceful Protests US Dept. of State 30 Jul 2021 -- On July 22, the United States imposed sanctions on the leader of Cuba's military and on the Cuban Ministry of the Interior's Special National Brigade in response to Cuban security forces' violent suppression of peaceful protesters.
- Background Press Call by a Senior Administration Official on Cuba The White House 30 Jul 2021
- US Sanctions More Cuban Officials for Suppressing Protests VOA 30 Jul 2021 -- The Biden administration has imposed sanctions on Cuba's police force and two of its leaders following recent protests on the island against the communist government.
- Iran's Zarif hails cooperation with Cuba in vaccine production Press TV 27 Jul 2021 -- Iran's Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif has praised cordial relations with Cuba, which recently saw bilateral cooperation in the fields of biotechnology and genetic engineering, especially the production of vaccines.
- Mexican president says sending fuel cargo to Cuba is sovereign decision Press TV 27 Jul 2021 -- Mexican President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador has asserted Mexico's independence to send fuel as well as food and medical supplies to Cuba, which has been under a decades-long embargo by the United States and has recently faced shortages of certain commodities.
- United States and Concerned Nations Stand Together for the Cuban People US Dept. of State 26 Jul 2021 -- Beginning on July 11, tens of thousands of Cubans across the island took to the streets to peacefully demand their fundamental freedoms and a better future. The Cuban government responded with violence.
- Health Minister lauds Iran-Cuba joint COVID19 vaccine IRNA 25 Jul 2021 -- Iranian Health Minister Saeed Namaki said Iran-Cuba joint COVID19 can be one of the most successful vaccines in the world.
- Joint Statement on Cuba US Dept. of State 25 Jul 2021 -- The following statement was released by the Governments of Austria, Brazil, Colombia, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Ecuador, Estonia, Guatemala, Greece, Honduras, Israel, Latvia, Lithuania, Kosovo, Montenegro, North Macedonia, Poland, Republic of Korea, Ukraine, and the United States of America.
- Statement by President Joseph R. Biden, Jr. on Continuing Crackdown in Cuba The White House 22 Jul 2021
- Treasury Sanctions Cuban Minister of Defense and Special Forces Brigade for Abuses Against Protestors US Treasury 22 Jul 2021 -- Today, the U.S. Department of the Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) sanctioned one Cuban individual and one Cuban entity pursuant to Executive Order (E.O.) 13818, which builds upon and implements the Global Magnitsky Human Rights Accountability Act and targets perpetrators of serious human rights abuse and corruption around the world.
- Biden Condemns Cuba for Crackdown on Freedom Protesters VOA 22 Jul 2021 -- U.S. President Joe Biden assailed the Cuban government Thursday for its crackdown on freedom protesters on the island nation and imposed sanctions on the head of the Cuban military and the internal security division that led the attacks on demonstrators.
- US sanctions Cuba: Biden says 'this is just the beginning' Press TV 22 Jul 2021 -- The United States has imposed sanctions against a Cuban official and a government entity over alleged human rights abuses in the country.
- US Sanctions Cuban Minister of the Revolutionary Armed Forces, Interior Ministry Special Brigade Sputnik 22 Jul 2021 -- The United States has imposed sanctions on Cuba's Minister of Revolutionary Armed Forces and on the Interior Ministry's special brigade, the US Treasury announced on Thursday.
- US 'weaving Walt Disney narrative of protests' to justify intervention: Cuba Press TV 22 Jul 2021 -- Cuba says the United States is weaving "a Walt Disney narrative" of the recent anti-government protests in the Caribbean country, accusing Washington of seeking to justify a military intervention.
- Cuba Rejects US 'Slanderous' Sanctions, Foreign Minister Says Sputnik 22 Jul 2021 -- Cuba condemns new US sanctions against Cuban Interior Ministry and army, as well as Washington's pressure on European and Latin American countries to turn them against Havana, Cuban Foreign Minister Bruno Rodriguez said on Thursday.
- US Considering Ways to Aid Cubans, Hold Government Accountable VOA 20 Jul 2021 -- The White House said Tuesday it is exploring ways the United States can aid the people of Cuba engaged in anti-government protests and also hold the Cuban government accountable for repressing freedom in the island nation.
- UN Rights Chief Calls for Release of Anti-Government Protesters in Cuba VOA 17 Jul 2021 -- U.N. High Commissioner for Human Rights Michelle Bachelet is calling on Cuban authorities to release those arrested during mass demonstrations protesting the government's failed economic policies.
- UN rights chief calls for prompt release of protestors held in Cuba UN News 16 Jul 2021 -- The UN High Commissioner for Human Rights on Friday called for the prompt release of protestors and journalists detained during anti-government demonstrations in Cuba, some of whom are being held incommunicado.
- State Department Urges 'Calm' in Cuba VOA 13 Jul 2021 -- The U.S. State Department Tuesday called for "calm" in Cuba after the biggest protests in decades against the island's communist government roiled the country Sunday.
- A Timeline of Recent Events in Cuba VOA 13 Jul 2021
- Cuban Protests: What We Know VOA 13 Jul 2021 -- There was a heavy police presence in Cuba's capital, Havana, on Monday, with the streets calm following Sunday's anti-government protests.
- Biden Expresses Support for Cuban People Amid Rare Protests VOA 12 Jul 2021 -- Amid the largest anti-government protests in decades in Cuba, U.S. President Joe Biden is expressing support for the people of the Caribbean island nation, underscoring their right to peaceful protest.
- Rare Protests Hit Cuba Amid Economic, Coronavirus Crises VOA 12 Jul 2021 -- Thousands of Cubans protested Sunday in the largest anti-government demonstrations in decades as people expressed frustrations with an economic crisis and the government's response to the coronavirus pandemic.
- Statement by President Joseph R. Biden, Jr. on Protests in Cuba The White House 12 Jul 2021
- Official says Iran-Cuba joint COVID vaccine 100% effective IRNA 10 Jul 2021 -- Director of Pasteur Institute of Iran Alireza Biglari said the joint vaccine developed by Finlay Vaccine Institute of Cuba and the Pasteur Institute of Iran is 100% effective on severe types and deaths caused by the COVID-19.
- Statement: Tehran, Havana cooperation in making COVID19 vaccine, strategic IRNA 10 Jul 2021 -- Finlay Vaccine Institute of Cuba and the Pasteur Institute of Iran in a joint statement announced that Tehran and Havana are conducting strategic cooperation in producing coronavirus vaccine.
- Telephone conversation with President of Cuba Miguel Diaz-Canel Bermudez President of Russia 20 Apr 2021
- Diaz-Canel becomes Cuba's Communist Party chief, says will continue to seek Castro's guidance Press TV 20 Apr 2021 -- Cuba's ruling Communist Party has elected President Miguel Diaz-Canel to replace Raul Castro as its leader -- the most powerful position in the Caribbean island nation, that was held by the Castro brothers for six decades.
- Cuba's Communist Party Chooses Diaz-Canel as New Leader VOA 20 Apr 2021 -- Cuba's president, Miguel Diaz-Canel, will become the leader of country's communist party, two days after Raul Castro said he was retiring from the position.
- Cuban Communist Party Elects President Diaz-Canel as First Secretary of Central Committee Sputnik 19 Apr 2021 -- The Cuban Communist Party delegates on Monday elected President Miguel Diaz-Canel as the first secretary of the central committee.
- Castro resigns from ruling party to hand power to Cuba's younger generation Press TV 17 Apr 2021 -- Former Cuban President Raul Castro has announced his resignation as the head of the country's ruling Communist Party, the most powerful position in the Caribbean island nation.
- Raul Castro Announces His Resignation as Head of Communist Party of Cuba Sputnik 16 Apr 2021 -- The Cuban politician previously signalled he was planning to resign from the post, which he assumed in 2011 after several decades of his brother Fidel's leadership. Castro is expected to hand over the reins to Cuban President Miguel DÃaz-Canel.
- Cuba exceeds 1,000 COVID-19 cases for third straight day People's Daily 02 Apr 2021 -- Cuba reported on Thursday 1,013 new COVID-19 infections in one day, surpassing 1,000 cases for the third consecutive day, totaling 76,276 cases, the Ministry of Public Health said.
- Africa Working With Private Sector, China, Cuba and Russia to Secure Vaccines VOA 28 Jan 2021 -- African officials say they are working to acquire hundreds of millions of vaccine doses for the continent over the next year and are urging African solidarity in the battle against coronavirus.
- Official: Iran, Cuba keen on producing million doses of COVID-19 vaccine IRNA 22 Jan 2021 -- Spokesman of Iran's Food and Drug Administration Kianoush Jahanpour said Iran and Cuba are after creating capacity for producing million doses of COVID-19 vaccine.
- Iran, Cuba to mass produce COVID-19 vaccine amid US sanctions: Official Press TV 22 Jan 2021 -- Iran and Cuba plan to create the capacity for the mass production of doses of a vaccine to contain the coronavirus pandemic amid crippling sanctions imposed on the two countries by the administration of former US President Donald Trump.
- Cuba To Produce 100 Million COVID-19 Vaccines for Citizens and Other Developing Nations Sputnik 21 Jan 2021 -- Countries including India, Pakistan, Iran, Vietnam and neighbouring Venezuela are already interested in importing the Cuban-developed Soberana-2 vaccine against COVID-19, the Finlay Institute said, although the jab is still undergoing clinical trials.
- Iran, Cuba's COVID-19 vaccine project proceeds to clinical trial phase II Press TV 20 Jan 2021 -- A coronavirus vaccine project being jointly pursued by Iran and Cuba has entered phase II of its clinical trials, with no side effects having been reported so far.
- Brazil Supreme Court Wants Regulator to Explain Refusal to Allow Use of Sputnik V, Reports Say Sputnik 20 Jan 2021 -- The Brazilian Supreme Federal Court asked the national Health Regulatory Agency (Anvisa) to explain its decision to refuse to authorize the emergency use of Russia's Sputnik V vaccine against the coronavirus, media reported.
- Brazil Launches COVID-19 Vaccine Program for Hard Hit Indigenous People VOA 20 Jan 2021 -- Indigenous people in Brazil's rainforest are getting their long awaited first doses of a vaccine against the coronavirus, which has infected thousands in their community and killed hundreds of others.
- Cuba blasts US sanctions on interior ministry as 'coercive measure' Press TV 16 Jan 2021 -- The administration of US President Donald Trump has in its final days in office imposed sanctions on Cuba's interior ministry over accusations of rights abuses, with the government in Havana denouncing the hostile move as a "coercive measure" against the Caribbean nation.
- United States Places Global Magnitsky Sanctions on the Cuban Ministry of Interior and Its Minister US Dept. of State 15 Jan 2021 -- Today, the United States is imposing sanctions on the Cuban Ministry of Interior (MININT) and Minister of Interior General Lazaro Alberto Ãlvarez Casas for their connection to serious human rights abuse under Executive Order 13818, which builds upon and implements the Global Magnitsky Human Rights Accountability Act.
- Treasury Sanctions the Cuban Ministry of the Interior and Its Leader for Serious Human Rights Abuse US Treasury 15 Jan 2021 -- Today, the U.S. Department of the Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) designated the Cuban Ministry of Interior and the Minister of Interior, Lazaro Alberto Ãlvarez Casas, for serious human rights abuse, pursuant to Executive Order (E.O.) 13818, which builds upon and implements the Global Magnitsky Human Rights Accountability Act and targets perpetrators of serious human rights abuse and corruption around the world.
- US Sanctions Cuba for Alleged Human Rights Abuses VOA 15 Jan 2021 -- The U.S. Department of the Treasury sanctioned Cuba's interior minister Friday for alleged human rights abuses.
- Commerce Tightens Controls to Prevent Support of Foreign Military-Intelligence and WMD Activities US Dept. of Commerce 14 Jan 2021 -- Today, the Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS) in the Department of Commerce (Commerce) imposed new controls on any U.S. technologies and specific activities of U.S. persons who may be supporting foreign military-intelligence end uses and end users in China, Cuba, Russia, and Venezuela, as well as in terrorist-supporting countries.
- Iran condemns US designation of Cuba as state sponsor of terror ISNA 13 Jan 2021 -- Iran's Foreign Ministry spokesman condemned in the strongest terms the United States' move to put Cuba on its list of state sponsors of terrorism.
- Cuba condemns U.S. for adding it to terrorism blacklist People's Daily 13 Jan 2021 -- Cuban President Miguel Diaz-Canel on Tuesday condemned the United States for including the island in a U.S. list of countries that sponsor terrorism.
- U.S. designates Cuba as "State Sponsor of Terrorism" People's Daily 12 Jan 2021 -- The United States added Cuba to the list of "State Sponsor of Terrorism" on Monday, a move to constrain the incoming Joe Biden administration's efforts to improve relations with Havana.
- Iran condemns US renaming of Cuba as 'state sponsor of terrorism' Press TV 12 Jan 2021 -- Iran has strongly condemned the United States' designation of Cuba as a "state sponsor of terrorism," expressing solidarity with the Latin American country.
- Cuba reports record number of daily cases of COVID-19 Global Times 11 Jan 2021 -- Cuba reported three more deaths and a record 388 new cases of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19), the Ministry of Public Health (Minsap) reported on Sunday.
- U.S. Announces Designation of Cuba as a State Sponsor of Terrorism US Dept. of State 11 Jan 2021 -- The State Department has designated Cuba as a State Sponsor of Terrorism for repeatedly providing support for acts of international terrorism in granting safe harbor to terrorists.
- Statement from National Security Advisor Robert C. O'Brien The White House 11 Jan 2021
- US Returns Cuba to List of State Sponsors of Terrorism VOA 11 Jan 2021 -- The Trump administration redesignated Cuba as a "state sponsor of terrorism" Monday, just nine days before U.S. President Donald Trump leaves office.
- Cuba raps as 'political opportunism' US return of Havana to 'terror sponsors' list Press TV 11 Jan 2021 -- Cuba's Foreign Minister Bruno RodrÃguez has condemned the US' "hypocritical and cynical" move to return Havana to its list of "state sponsors of terrorism", describing it as political opportunism.
- US State Department Designates Cuba as State Sponsor of Terrorism Sputnik 11 Jan 2021 -- Earlier in the day, reports emerged suggesting that the US might return Cuba to the list of state sponsors of terrorism, from which the country was removed back in 2015.
- Cuban Researchers To Test COVID-19 Vaccine In Iran RFE/RL 10 Jan 2021 -- A Cuban state-run research institute says it has signed a deal with Iran's Pasteur Institute to test the Caribbean state's most advanced COVID-19 vaccine candidate in Iran.
- Joint cooperation with Cuba in coronavirus vaccine production 'among priorities': Iran official Press TV 01 Jan 2021 -- An Iranian Health Ministry official says the production of coronavirus vaccine in cooperation with Cuba is one of Tehran's priorities after such other alternatives as purchasing from a foreign country and participation in the World Health Organization's COVAX program.
- Removing the Cuban Military's Grip from Cuba's Banking Sector US Dept. of State 01 Jan 2021 -- "Today, the Department of State is announcing the addition of Banco Financiero International S.A. (BFI) to the Cuba Restricted List, effective upon publication in early January."
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list