Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
2018 Cuba Special Weapons News
- Cuba says interested in Iran-EU clearing mechanism Press TV 19 Nov 2018 -- Cuba has expressed interest in a plan by the European Union to create a mechanism to get round US sanctions against Iran, saying it hopes the mechanism would also help it sidestep the trade embargo that Washington has imposed on it for decades now.
- US Sanctions 26 Cuban Sub-Entities to Block Them From American Funds - DoS Sputnik 14 Nov 2018 -- The United States has added 26 sub-entities, including 16 hotels, to its Cuba Restricted List that aims to prevent money from reaching the Cuban military, intelligence and security services, the US Department of State said in a press release.
- State Department Updates the Cuba Restricted List US Dept. of State 14 Nov 2018 -- As part of the Trump Administration's efforts to prevent U.S. funds from reaching the Cuban military, intelligence, and security services, the State Department is adding 26 subentities to the Cuba Restricted List, including 16 hotels owned by the Cuban military.
- Putin, Cuban President Vow To Bolster Ties, Denounce U.S. 'Interference' RFE/RL 02 Nov 2018 -- The presidents of Russia and Cuba have vowed to strengthen political, economic, and military ties and denounced what they called U.S. "interference in the domestic affairs of sovereign nations."
- US Sanctions Venezuela and Cuba, Threatens Nicaragua VOA 01 Nov 2018 -- The White House announced new sanctions Thursday against Venezuela and Cuba, and threatened to do the same against Nicaragua, calling the three nations a "troika of tyranny."
- UN General Assembly Adopts Resolution to Lift US Trade Embargo On Cuba Sputnik 01 Nov 2018 -- Earlier, Cuban Ambassador to Russia Gerardo Penalver Portal stated that the state has lost over $4 billion over the past 12 month due to the United States' sanctions policy against Havana.
- UN General Assembly renews long-standing call for end to US embargo against Cuba UN News 01 Nov 2018 -- The United Nations General Assembly has overwhelmingly voted in favour of condemning the United States economic, commercial and financial embargo against Cuba - a call it has made every year since 1992.
- US Vastly Outvoted at UN Over Its Cuba Embargo VOA 01 Nov 2018 -- U.N. member states overwhelmingly supported lifting Washington's more than half-century-old economic, commercial and financial embargo of Cuba on Thursday, saying it is the main impediment to the island nation's economic and social development.
- Another American Confirmed Hurt by Mystery Attack in Cuba VOA 28 Jun 2018 -- One more U.S. Embassy employee in Havana has been affected by mysterious health incidents, the State Department said.
- US says 25th diplomat hit by 'sonic attack' in Cuba Press TV 22 Jun 2018 -- The United States says another diplomat in Cuba has fallen ill with symptoms of a mysterious sickness which intelligence officials in Washington say is caused by a sonic attack.
- Mysterious New Spy Radar Appears in Cuba Sputnik 08 Jun 2018 -- A new "signals intelligence" facility appearing in satellite imagery of Bejucal, Cuba, over recent months is capable of signal interception, ballistic missile monitoring and tracking objects in outer space, but analysts are puzzled about who provided the financing to build the facility.
- Cuba condemns US Embassy staff cuts Press TV 06 Mar 2018 -- Cuba has condemned the United States' move to make permanent the withdrawal of 60 percent of the American Embassy staff in Havana over mysterious ailments affecting some diplomats there.
- End of Ordered Departure at U.S. Embassy Havana US Dept. of State 02 Mar 2018 -- The U.S. Embassy in Havana has operated under ordered departure status since September 29, 2017, due to health attacks affecting U.S. Embassy Havana employees. It will reach the maximum allowable days in departure status on March 4.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list