2017 Cuba Special Weapons News
- Cuban President Raul Castro to Stay in Power Until April VOA 21 Dec 2017 -- Cuban President Raul Castro plans to stay in office until next April before stepping aside, two months longer than originally anticipated, which then would end nearly six decades of Castro family rule of the communist country.
- With Local Polls, Cuba Starts Process to End Castro Era VOA 26 Nov 2017 -- Cuba is holding municipal elections, the first step toward the end of the Castro era.
- Trump administration tightens sanctions against Cuba Press TV 08 Nov 2017 -- The US government has announced new restrictions against Cuba, tightening sanctions as part of President Donald Trump's pledge to reverse his Democratic predecessor's measures toward closer relations with Havana.
- US to Impose New Sanctions on Cuba as Part of Trump's New Policies - Treasury Sputnik 08 Nov 2017 -- Donald Trump has been reconsidering many decisions by his predecessor Barack Obama, including with regard to the relations with Cuba, one of the major achievements of the former administration.
- Treasury, Commerce, and State Implement Changes to the Cuba Sanctions Rules US Treasury 08 Nov 2017 -- Today, the Department of the Treasury's Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) and the Department of Commerce's Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS) are announcing amendments to the Cuban Assets Control Regulations (CACR) and Export Administration Regulations (EAR), respectively, to implement changes to the Cuba sanctions program announced by the President in June.
- US Votes Against UN Measure to Lift Economic Embargo on Cuba VOA 01 Nov 2017 -- The United States voted Wednesday against ending its nearly 60-year-old economic embargo on Cuba at the U.N. General Assembly.
- Trump expels 15 Cuban diplomats from US over mysterious health attacks Press TV 04 Oct 2017 -- US President Donald Trump has ordered the expulsion of 15 Cuban diplomats from the country, escalating his response to a series of mysterious health "attacks."
- Background Briefing: State Department Official on Cuba US Dept. of State 03 Oct 2017 -- Special Briefing by State Department Official
- US to Expel 15 Cuban Diplomats After Mysterious 'Health Attacks' VOA 03 Oct 2017 -- The United States has informed the Cuban government that it is ordering the departure of 15 officials from the Cuban embassy in Washington.
- US halves diplomatic staff in Cuba over mysterious health 'attacks' Press TV 30 Sep 2017 -- US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson says Washington is withdrawing more than half of its personnel from the US embassy in Cuba in response to mysterious health "attacks" that have sickened American diplomatic staffers in Havana.
- US plans major withdrawal of diplomats from embassy in Cuba Press TV 29 Sep 2017 -- The United States is preparing to announce a major withdrawal of staff and family from the US embassy in Cuba in response to mysterious health attacks targeting diplomats. Only essential personnel will be left.
- US State Dept. Confirms Departure of Embassy's Non-Emergency Personnel From Cuba Sputnik 29 Sep 2017 -- The United States has taken a decision to pull out more than half of its diplomatic personnel from the embassy in Havana. Routine visa operations are suspended.
- Senior State Department Officials on Cuba US Dept. of State 29 Sep 2017 -- Special Briefing by Senior State Department Officials
- Actions Taken in Response to Attacks on U.S. Government Personnel in Cuba US Dept. of State 29 Sep 2017 -- Remarks by Rex W. Tillerson, Secretary of State
- US Pulls Diplomatic Personnel From Cuba Following 'Health Attacks' VOA 29 Sep 2017 -- The U.S. State Department has announced it is pulling all of its non-essential diplomatic personnel out of Cuba in response to "health attacks" on 21 American diplomats in Havana.
- Cuba starts investigation into alleged incidents concerning U.S. diplomats People's Daily 10 Aug 2017 -- The Cuban Foreign Ministry said Wednesday it had started an "exhaustive" investigation into the bizarre incidents which the United States said had caused physical symptoms in its diplomats serving here.
- U.S. expels two Cuban diplomats over "incidents" in Havana People's Daily 10 Aug 2017 -- The United States has expelled two Cuban diplomats in late May after "incidents" at the U.S. Embassy in Havana, the U.S. State Department said Wednesday.
- Cuba probing 'incidents' involving US diplomats Press TV 10 Aug 2017 -- Cuba says it is investigating allegations by the United States that unspecified "incidents" caused physical symptoms in some US nationals serving at the American Embassy in the Cuban capital, Havana.
- US expels 2 Cuban diplomats Press TV 10 Aug 2017 -- The United States has expelled two diplomats from the Cuban Embassy in Washington, DC, according to Department of State spokesperson Heather Nauert.
- Spotlight: Trump curtails Obama-era's opening with Cuba People's Daily 17 Jun 2017 -- After targeting his predecessor Barack Obama's legacies in global trade and climate change, U.S. President Donald Trump on Friday announced plans to roll back parts of Obama-era's opening with Cuba.
- I'm canceling Obama's one-sided deal with Cuba: Trump Press TV 16 Jun 2017 -- US President Donald Trump says he is canceling a "one-sided" US deal with Cuba by imposing travel and trade restrictions on the island nation, claiming that former President Barack Obama's approach on the country has allowed the Cuban government to benefit from increased tourism.
- Trump Revises Obama's Opening to Cuba but Leaves Much Untouched VOA 16 Jun 2017 -- Saying he was "canceling the last administration's completely one-sided deal with Cuba," President Donald Trump on Friday began undoing some parts of his predecessor's historic opening to the island nation.
- Fact Sheet on Cuba Policy The White House 16 Jun 2017
- Background Briefing on the President's Cuba Policy The White House 15 Jun 2017
- Trump Expected to Tighten US Cuba Policy VOA 15 Jun 2017 -- As a candidate, Donald Trump promised to undo parts of a historic U.S.-Cuba agreement to re-engage after more than 50 years. He said the 2014 deal forged by Presidents Barack Obama and Raul Castro was "one-sided," favoring the communist government.
- Trump Readies New US Policy Toward Cuba VOA 10 Jun 2017 -- President Donald Trump is preparing to announce new policies toward Cuba that most likely will roll back parts of former President Barack Obama's efforts to normalize relations with the island nation, according to a senior administration official and other sources.
- Cuba's Castro calls for respectful talks with Trump Press TV 25 Jan 2017 -- Cuban President Raul Castro has warned US President Donald Trump to respect his country's sovereignty while voicing hopes over the continuation of normalizing ties with the United States.
- Obama Ends Preferential Asylum Policy for Cuban Migrants VOA 13 Jan 2017 -- U.S. President Barack Obama has ended a controversial policy that let any Cuban who steps foot on U.S. soil remain in the United States without a visa and become a legal resident.
- Obama announces end to 'wet foot, dry foot' policy for Cubans Press TV 13 Jan 2017 -- US President Barack Obama has ended a longstanding immigration policy that extends automatic residency to Cubans arriving in the country without visas.
- On-the-Record Press Call on Cuba Policy Announcement The White House 12 Jan 2017
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|