2015 Cuba Special Weapons News
- Cuban president calls for U.S. embargo relief to normalize diplomatic ties People's Daily 30 Dec 2015 -- Cuban President Raul Castro Tuesday asked the United States to lift its economic sanctions against Cuba and return the territory occupied by the U.S. naval base in Guantanamo before normalizing bilateral diplomatic ties.
- Cuba enters new phase of int'l economic relations: Castro People's Daily 30 Dec 2015 -- Cuba's economic, trade and financial relations with some countries have entered a new phase, President Raul Castro said Tuesday at the parliament after the island country managed to renegotiate its debt with some countries.
- U.S.-Cuba Relations One Year Later US Dept. of State 17 Dec 2015
- US, Cuba Reach Deal on Restoring Commercial Flights VOA 17 Dec 2015 -- U.S. and Cuban officials reached agreement Thursday on restoring regular commercial flights between the former Cold War foes after more than 50 years, a milestone on the one-year anniversary of a diplomatic thaw between the two countries.
- Background Briefing on the Progress Made Toward the Normalization of U.S.-Cuba Relations US Dept. of State 15 Dec 2015
- Obama Wants to Visit Cuba VOA 14 Dec 2015 -- U.S. President Barack Obama says he wants to visit Cuba during his last year in office, but only if he can talk with dissidents opposed to the regime of Cuban President Raul Castro.
- US-Cuba Talks Underway; Focus on Migrants, Illegal Drugs VOA 01 Dec 2015 -- A surge in the number of Cubans entering the United States and methods to prevent the flow of illegal drugs between the two countries are among issues being discussed by U.S. and Cuban working groups this week.
- UN General Assembly renews long-standing call for end to US embargo against Cuba UN News 27 Oct 2015 -- In a near unanimous vote, the 193-member United Nations General Assembly today adopted a resolution renewing its call for an end to the economic, commercial and financial blockade imposed by the United States against Cuba, while also acknowledging the restoration, after nearly 50 years, of diplomatic relations between the two countries.
- Addressing General Debate, Cuban President calls for end to US embargo UN News 28 Sep 2015 -- In his first-ever address to the United Nations General Debate, Cuban President Raúl Castro noted the warming of diplomatic relations between the United States and Cuba before promising to reintroduce an annual resolution calling for an end to the long-standing US embargo on the island nation.
- Cuba's Castro Lauds US Outreach But Demands End of Embargo VOA 26 Sep 2015 -- Cuban President Raul Castro is praising the Obama administration's push to re-establish ties with Havana, saying the new U.S. policies 'constitute an important advancement that has wide support from the international community.'
- Secretary Kerry Remarks at Flag Raising Ceremony US Dept. of State 14 Aug 2015
- US, Cuba to Eye 'Full Normalization' of Relations VOA 14 Aug 2015 -- U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry said Friday that a new U.S.-Cuban committee would begin talks next month on the "full normalization" of bilateral ties, building on historic ceremony earlier in the day in which the American flag was raised above the U.S. Embassy in Havana for the first time in more than 54 years.
- Congress: Gatekeeper to New US-Cuban Relations? VOA 14 Aug 2015 -- Secretary of State John Kerry's raising of the American flag at the U.S. Embassy in Havana Friday marked an historic moment in U.S.-Cuba relations.
- Despite Diplomatic Thaw US-Cuba Issues Remain VOA 14 Aug 2015 -- Several issues from the half century of hostilities between the U.S. and Cuba still remain, despite the re-opening of diplomatic ties.
- Havana Sells US Diplomatic Ties as Victory VOA 14 Aug 2015 -- The reestablishment of relations between Washington and Havana comes as Cuba is still struggling to recover from an economic crisis that began in the 1990s with the collapse of its patron, the Soviet Union.
- On His Birthday, Fidel Castro Wants US to Repay Cuba the Millions it Owes Sputnik 13 Aug 2015 -- Fidel Castro turned 89 on Thursday, and to mark his birthday, the former Cuban President requested that the United States pay back the "many millions of dollars" owed to his country because of the old embargo.
- Background Briefing on Secretary Kerry's Travel to Cuba US Dept. of State 12 Aug 2015
- Secretary Kerry Interview With Andres Oppenheimer of CNN Espanol US Dept. of State 12 Aug 2015
- Secretary Kerry Interview With Jose Diaz-Balart of Telemundo US Dept. of State 12 Aug 2015
- Secretary Kerry Interview With Maria Elena Salinas of Univision US Dept. of State 12 Aug 2015
- US, Cuba Re-Set Ties, Focus on Unsettled Issues VOA 20 Jul 2015 -- As onlookers chanted "Viva Cuba, Viva Fidel," the Cuban flag was hoisted outside of the country's newly established embassy in Washington on Monday.
- US, Cuba Re-establish Full Diplomatic Ties VOA 20 Jul 2015 -- The United States and Cuba restored full diplomatic relations just after 12 a.m. Monday after more than five decades of hostility.
- US, Cuba formally restore relations, reopen embassies Press TV 20 Jul 2015 -- The United States and Cuba formally resume diplomatic ties and reopen their embassies, marking a new beginning after 54 years of strained relations.
- US, Cuba to Officially Open Embassies, Restoring Diplomatic Relations Sputnik 20 Jul 2015 -- The United States and Cuba will officially reestablish diplomatic ties on Monday.
- Embassy Openings to Launch New Era in US-Cuba Relations VOA 19 Jul 2015 -- The United States and Cuba are set to reach a milestone in diplomatic relations Monday. The two countries will formally reopen their embassies, a move that is part of a series of recent steps to reset relations that soured more than 50 years ago.
- US Urged to Keep Up Pressure on Cuba Rights VOA 19 Jul 2015 -- Leading human rights groups have stressed to U.S. lawmakers that historic diplomatic breakthroughs with Cuba should not shield it from rigorous American scrutiny of human rights violations.
- Background Briefing on Cuba US Dept. of State 17 Jul 2015
- Re-Establishment of Diplomatic Relations With Cuba US Dept. of State 06 Jul 2015 -- President Obama announced on July 1, 2015, the historic decision to re-establish diplomatic relations between Cuba and the United States of America, effective July 20. The U.S. Department of State also notified Congress of its intent to convert the U.S. Interests Section in Havana, Cuba to U.S. Embassy Havana, effective on the same date.
- Statement on Cuba US Dept. of State 01 Jul 2015 -- Remarks by John Kerry, US Secretary of State
- Background Briefing on Re-establishment of Diplomatic Relations With Cuba US Dept. of State 01 Jul 2015
- Rapprochement Opens New, Uncertain Chapter in US-Cuba Relations VOA 01 Jul 2015 -- In 1961, Wayne Smith was a young diplomat on his first foreign posting in Havana, and his final duties included shutting down the U.S. Embassy, destroying documents and helping evacuate Americans.
- Global Chatter Greets US-Cuba Announcement VOA 01 Jul 2015 -- The restoration of full diplomatic relations between the United States and Cuba sparked overwhelmingly positive reactions around the world, except in the United States, where opinions diverged widely.
- Obama announces embassy opening in Cuba, calls on Congress to lift embargo Press TV 01 Jul 2015 -- President Barack Obama has called on Congress to lift the United States decades-old embargo on Cuba after he announced that Washington and Havana will open embassies in each other's countries.
- US, Cuba Move to End Decades of Political Isolation VOA 01 Jul 2015 -- For decades, Washington's policy toward Cuba has been punctuated by economic embargoes, diplomatic isolation and covert efforts to undermine the Cuban government.
- Obama: Kerry to Raise US Flag Over Embassy in Havana VOA 01 Jul 2015 -- President Barack Obama said Wednesday the United States and Cuba have agreed to reestablish diplomatic relations and plan to reopen embassies in Washington and Havana later this month, in the latest move to end years of hostility between the two countries.
- US Urged to Keep Up Pressure on Cuba Rights VOA 01 Jul 2015 -- As the U.S. and Cuba move ahead with their historic normalization of bilateral ties, human rights groups have been urging Washington to keep up the pressure on Havana to improve its dismal rights record.
- Presidential Candidates Weigh In on US Cuba Policy VOA 01 Jul 2015 -- Most of the candidates currently seeking the Republican Party's nomination for president have been long been opposed to the Obama administration's moves toward re-establishing diplomatic relations with Cuba.
- Statement by the President on the Re-Establishment of Diplomatic Relations with Cuba The White House 01 Jul 2015
- Presidential Letter -- Re-establishing Diplomatic Relations and Permanent Diplomatic Missions The White House 01 Jul 2015
- US, Cuba Reach Deal to Open Embassies in Washington, Havana VOA 30 Jun 2015 -- A senior U.S. official says the United States and Cuba have reached agreement to reopen embassies in each other's capitals for the first time in more than 50 years.
- US Human Rights Report Slams Iran, Cuba VOA 25 Jun 2015 -- The United States released a long-delayed annual human rights report on Thursday, with strong words for countries like Iran, Cuba, Myanmar and Vietnam, even as it seeks to improve relations with them.
- US Takes Cuba Off Terrorism List VOA 29 May 2015 -- The United States on Friday dropped Cuba from a blacklist designating the communist country as a state sponsor of terrorism in another step toward the resumption of diplomatic links between the two nations after a five-decade standoff.
- Rescission of Cuba as a State Sponsor of Terrorism US Dept. of State 29 May 201
- Latest US-Cuban Talks Ends in Washington VOA 22 May 2015 -- U.S. and Cuban officials say they have made progress in talks on restoring diplomatic ties but there is still more work to do.
- Lawmakers Question Normalization Effort With Cuba VOA 20 May 2015 -- U.S. lawmakers are questioning whether the country's stepped-up engagement with Cuba will ultimately be beneficial or if it will be a setback.
- US, Cuba to Focus on Re-opening Embassies VOA 18 May 2015 -- The United States and Cuba resume talks this week on the steps needed for re-opening embassies and fully re-establishing diplomatic relations after a break of more than 50 years.
- Russia to carry on with modern weapons supplies to Cuba - Defense Minister Shoigu TASS 24 Apr 2015 -- Russia treats Cuba as a reliable friend and is ready to actively develop with the Caribbean island cooperation both in military and military-technical spheres, Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Shoigu said on Friday.
- Cuba Welcomes Removal From US Terrorism Sponsor List VOA 15 Apr 2015 -- Cuba is praising President Barack Obama's decision to remove the Caribbean island nation from Washington's list of state sponsors of terrorism.
- Background Briefing on the Report Required To Rescind Cuba's State Sponsor of Terrorism Status US Dept. of State 14 Apr 2015 -- Special Briefing by Senior Administration Officials
- Recommendation to Rescind Cuba's Designation as a State Sponsor of Terrorism US Dept. of State 14 Apr 2015
- Obama to Remove Cuba From State Sponsors of Terrorism List VOA 14 Apr 2015 -- President Barack Obama said Tuesday that he intended to take communist Cuba off the United States' list of state sponsors of terrorism, part of his effort to normalize relations with the island nation after five decades of hostilities.
- Kerry: US Engagement Seeks to Encourage Change in Cuba VOA 13 Apr 2015 -- U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry said the United States has embarked on a "policy of transformation" with its engagement with Cuba.
- Obama: Talks With Castro 'Candid and Fruitful' VOA 12 Apr 2015 -- U.S. President Barack Obama is back in Washington, following a historic face-to-face meeting with Cuban President Raul Castro and a first meeting with Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro.
- US, Cuba End Latest Round of Diplomatic Talks VOA 17 Mar 2015 -- U.S. and Cuban diplomats have concluded a third round of talks on restoring diplomatic ties, Cuba said Tuesday, without offering details on what was discussed.
- Background Briefing on Discussions With Cuba US Dept. of State 13 Mar 2015
- Cuba Blasts US Over Venezuela Sanctions VOA 10 Mar 2015 -- New U.S. sanctions on Venezuela drew fire Tuesday from Cuba, in the first public clash between the U.S. and Cuba since the two nations announced in December they would begin talks on restoring diplomatic ties.
- China denies Cuba-bound ship violated laws Press TV 04 Mar 2015 -- Beijing has rejected accusations by a Colombian prosecutor that one of China's freighters had been trafficking weapons, saying the cargo ship was carrying 'ordinary military supplies' to Cuba.
- US Cuba Talks Open VOA 27 Feb 2015 -- The United States and Cuba opened a second round of talks Friday on restoring diplomatic relations more than 50 years after breaking off ties.'
- Background Briefing on Talks to Re-Establish Diplomatic Relations With Cuba US Dept. of State 25 Feb 2015
- US Opening with Cuba Defended on Capitol Hill VOA 03 Feb 2015 -- The Obama administration has defended its diplomatic opening with Cuba before U.S. lawmakers who are deeply divided on the issue. It remains unclear whether the new, Republican-led Congress will assist or hinder the president's initiative to normalize relations with Havana.
- Briefing on the Upcoming Migration and Reestablishment of Diplomatic Relations Talks in Cuba US Dept. of State 19 Jan 2015
- US Relaxation of Cuba Sanctions Begins Friday VOA 15 Jan 2015 -- The United States Treasury says new rules relaxing trade and travel restrictions to Cuba will be implemented beginning Friday.
- Cuba: UN rights office hopes release of political prisoners paves way for freedoms to flourish UN News Centre 09 Jan 2015 -- The United Nations human rights office today welcomed Cuba's recent release of political prisoners, hoping this new development will help open the way for an environment where freedom of expression and association flourishes.
|Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list|