Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
2014 Cuba Special Weapons News
- STATEMENT BY RAÚL CASTRO RUZ, PRESIDENT OF THE COUNCILS OF STATE AND OF MINISTERS AT THE CLOSING CEREMONY OF THE FOURTH SESSION OF THE EIGHTH LEGISLATURE OF THE NATIONAL PEOPLE'S POWER ASSEMBLY Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Cuba 20 Dec 2014
- Raul Castro: US Must Respect Cuba's Socialist Principles Sputnik 21 Dec 2014 -- Cuban President Raul Castro told the island nation's National Assembly on Saturday that the United States must respect Cuba's decision to maintain its socialist political and economic trajectory, Telesur reports.
- Kerry: US-Cuba Thaw Will Advance Interests for Both VOA 21 Dec 2014 -- U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry says President Barack Obama's decision to normalize relations with Cuba will advance U.S. interests as well as those of the Cuban people.
- Castro Lauds US Outreach, Says Cuba to Remain Communist VOA 20 Dec 2014 -- President Barack Obama won praise from Cuba's leader Saturday for moving to restore diplomatic relations between Washington and Havana, but President Raul Castro told his nation that the change did not mean the end of communist rule in Cuba.
- Announcement of Cuba Policy Changes - Press Statement by John Kerry, Secretary of State US Dept. of State 17 Dec 2014
- Ban Ki-moon hails decision by US, Cuba to normalize relations UN News Centre 17 Dec 2014 -- United Nations Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon today welcomed the "very important step" taken by the leaders of the United States and Cuba towards normalizing relations between the two countries.
- Background Conference Call on Policy Changes in Cuba and the Release of Alan Gross The White House 17 Dec 2014
- Chairman Menendez's Statement on U.S. – Cuba Relationship Senator Menendez 17 Dec 2014 -- Senate Foreign Relations Committee Chairman Robert Menendez (D-N.J.), issued this statement regarding the U.S. – Cuba relationship.
- Chairman Menendez's Statement on the Release of Alan Gross Senator Menendez 17 Dec 2014 -- Senate Foreign Relations Committee Chairman Robert Menendez (D-N.J.), issued this statement following the release of Alan Gross.
- Rubio Comments On Reports Of Change In U.S. Policy Toward Cuba, Release Of Alan Gross Senator Rubio 17 Dec 2014 -- U.S. Senator Marco Rubio (R-FL) today issued the following statement regarding reports that President Obama is set to dramatically change U.S. policy toward Cuba following the release of Alan Gross, an American who was held hostage by the Castro regime in Cuba for five yearse
- Obama Announces Major Shift in Cuban Policy Sputnik 17 Dec 2014 -- US President Barack Obama delivered a speech on improving relations between the United States and Cuba, as the White House seeks to normalize full diplomatic relations with Cuba, by opening up an embassy and easing on travel and economic restrictions.
- Statement by the President on Cuba Policy Changes The White House 17 Dec 2014
- FACT SHEET: Charting a New Course on Cuba The White House 17 Dec 2014 -- Since taking office in 2009, President Obama has taken steps aimed at supporting the ability of the Cuban people to gain greater control over their own lives and determine their country’s future. Today, the President announced additional measures to end our outdated approach, and to promote more effectively change in Cuba that is consistent with U.S. support for the Cuban people and in line with U.S. national security interests.
- Obama Announces Historic Revamp of US-Cuba Relations VOA 17 Dec 2014 -- U.S. President Barack Obama announced what officials say is a major shift in U.S. relations with Cuba, after the country's communist leaders released Alan Gross, an American who had been imprisoned there for five years.
- New Policy Will Dramatically Alter US-Cuba Relations VOA 17 Dec 2014 -- President Barack Obama's announcement Wednesday ending decades of Washington's policy of diplomatic and economic isolation for Cuba has dramatic implications.
- Russia, Cuba Agree on Security Cooperation VOA 14 May 2014 -- Russia's Security Council and Cuba's Commission for National Security and Defense have signed a memorandum on cooperation and agreed to establish a joint working group, the secretary of the Russian Security Council said Wednesday.
- White House: 'Cuban Twitter' Was Not Covert Operation VOA 03 Apr 2014 -- The White House says a so-called 'Cuban Twitter' communications network created by the U.S. government was a development program, not a covert operation.
- 'US funded social network to incite unrest in Cuba' Iran Press TV 03 Apr 2014 -- A new investigation reveals that the US government has secretly funded a social media network program to instigate political unrest in Cuba.
- US Efforts to Create 'Cuban Twitter' Unmasked VOA 03 Apr 2014 -- The U.S. government is coming under scrutiny for funding a secretive social network designed to gather information on Cuban democracy advocates and help organize social protests.
- US officials secretly funded a 'Cuban Twitter' to overthrow Fidel Castro VoR 03 Apr 2014 -- Who said the Cold War was over? The US government secretly funded the establishment of Cuban Twitter in 2009 to stir political unrest in Cuba. Social network was designed to undermine the communist government in the country, the Associated Press reports. The project ZunZuneo by Agency for International Development (USAID) was carried out for three years and has attracted tens of thousands of subscribers.
- EU to Launch Political Talks with Havana VOA 10 Feb 2014 -- The European Union has agreed to launch talks with Cuba aimed at forging closer political and economic ties, with human rights central to any discussions. The decision could mark a turning point in EU-Cuban relations.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list