Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD)
31 December 2022 - China Special Weapons News
- China's 2022: A year of lockdowns, protests and mass COVID-19 infections Radio Free Asia 31 Dec 2022 -- A momentous year of lockdowns, calls for Xi Jinping's resignation, economic stagnation, street protests and the lifting of the zero-COVID policy has left China's future looking much less predictable.
- UK Introducing COVID-19 Testing for Travelers Flying In From China - Government Sputnik 31 Dec 2022 -- People arriving to England from China by plane will need to present negative coronavirus test results before boarding their flight, the UK Department of Health and Social Care informs.
- WHO Asks for More Anti-Coronavirus Measures, Transparency From China Sputnik 31 Dec 2022 -- The World Health Organization (WHO) has held a high-level meeting with Chinese representatives amid a spike in coronavirus cases in China.
- Chinese health officials, WHO hold meeting on COVID situation People's Daily 31 Dec 2022 -- China's health officials on Friday held a video meeting with the World Health Organization and exchanged views on the current COVID-19 situation, treatment and vaccinations, China's National Health Commission (NHC) said in a statement.
- COVID response unit calls for adequate medical supplies, smooth transfer of critical cases in rural areas amid holidays Global Times 31 Dec 2022 -- The State Council's joint prevention and control mechanism and the central leading group for rural affairs jointly published a work plan on Saturday, specifying to-dos to strengthen the grassroot-level epidemic control system, ensuring supplies of medicines and enhancing protection of vulnerable groups so that rural areas can cope with contagion risks linked to the holiday travel peak.
- Perseverance, solidarity mean victory as China enters new phase of COVID response: Xi Global Times 31 Dec 2022 -- Noting that China has entered a new phase of COVID response, Chinese President Xi Jinping, in his 2023 New Year address delivered on Saturday night, called for an extra effort from the people to pull through as perseverance and solidarity mean victory.
- China's public health authority, WHO hold technical exchange meeting on COVID controls Global Times 31 Dec 2022 -- China's National Health Commission (NHC) held a virtual meeting themed around technical exchange for COVID-19 prevention and control on Friday with the World Health Organization (WHO). Senior officials from the NHC and Chinese Center for Disease Prevention and Control (CDC) attended the meeting.
- China grants conditional approval for Merck's COVID-19 drug People's Daily 31 Dec 2022 -- China has activated special approval procedures and granted conditional approval for the import registration of Merck's COVID-19 treatment Molnupiravir, the National Medical Products Administration said Friday.
- Chinese experts answer public's questions about COVID-19 prevention People's Daily 31 Dec 2022 -- The National Health Commission has organized a panel of authoritative experts to answer the COVID-19 prevention questions that the public is most concerned about, as China optimizes its COVID-19 response.
- MOFA slams China for Taiwan reference following talks with Moscow CNA 31 Dec 2022 -- Taiwan's Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA) on Saturday condemned Beijing for "falsely" claiming Taiwan is part of its territory after talks between China's leader Xi Jinping (ç¿’è¿‘å¹³) and Russian President Vladimir Putin on Friday.
- New TAO head shows China more focused on Taiwan issue: scholar CNA 31 Dec 2022 -- The recent appointment of Song Tao (å®‹æ¿¤) as director of China's Taiwan Affairs Office (TAO) showed that Beijing is giving an even higher priority to Taiwan affairs, Chang Wu-ueh (å¼µäº”å²³), an expert on cross-Taiwan Strait relations, told CNA.
- US spy plane makes dangerous maneuvers against monitoring PLA airplane during close-in recon on China Global Times 31 Dec 2022 -- It was a US RC-135 spy plane that engaged in dangerous maneuvers against a Chinese People's Liberation Army (PLA) Navy J-11 fighter jet which was monitoring the US aircraft during the latter's close-in reconnaissance over the South China Sea, and the US intentionally misled the public, the PLA Southern Theater Command said on Saturday, releasing a video documenting the incident.
- Space mission records in 2022 PLA Daily 31 Dec 2022 -- For China's space sector, 2022 was a year of substantial progress and remarkable new records.
- Full Text: 2023 New Year Address by President Xi Jinping PRC MofA 31 Dec 2022
- Xi inspires whole nation, instills confidence in society via New Year address Global Times 31 Dec 2022 -- China will be a country that performs miracles through hard work as it goes forward, Chinese President Xi Jinping said while delivering his 2023 New Year address on Saturday night, the 10th such speech he has given since 2014. He also hailed the determined effort every Chinese has made in overcoming unprecedent difficulties and challenges and called for more unity as the light of hope is right in front of us.
- The Year That Changed The Chinese-Russian Relationship RFE/RL 31 Dec 2022 -- As Russian tanks rolled into neighboring Georgia under the cover of darkness in August 2008, Beijing's initial reaction was one of quiet irritation.
- Xi, Putin exchange New Year greetings People's Daily 31 Dec 2022 -- Chinese President Xi Jinping and his Russian counterpart, Vladimir Putin, exchanged messages of New Year greetings on Saturday.
- Hong Kong legal professionals welcome interpretation of provisions in HKNSL, refuting Western media's attacks slandering city's judicial independence Global Times 31 Dec 2022 -- Hong Kong officials, legal professionals and observers welcome the country's top legislature providing interpretations for provisions under the National Security Law for Hong Kong, which absolutely does not affect the city's judiciary independence, but instead clarifies the legislative intent of a number of provisions of the NSL for Hong Kong, providing more authoritative and clear guidelines for the judicial practice of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR).
- Top legislature gives interpretation of provisions in HK national security law, settling disputes over foreign lawyers working on national security cases Global Times 31 Dec 2022 -- China's top legislature adopted an interpretation of Article 14 and Article 47 on the Law of the People's Republic of China on Safeguarding National Security in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) on Friday, which aims to properly handle the issues encountered in practicing the national security law (NSL) for Hong Kong and effectively safeguard the country's sovereignty, security and development interests.
Join the GlobalSecurity.org mailing list